Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

On 26/9/2016 at 9:14 AM, Cupcake... said:

PS @Rune how did you get on with the bug report in the end?

It's done and updated for 1.2, and as far as I know @sal_vager knows that it is still there. I guess it didn't make it in time for 1.2, given how it doesn't break the game that badly, but yeah, I hope they do take time to look on it one of these days.

1 hour ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Hmm odd that your SSTOs have been buffed. Though mine was always pretty bad, (could scrap a 500km orbit) it can't even pass 400m/s now.

From what I've seen him doing lately, Cupcake has the whole drag system pretty much figured out. No empty nodes, no parts sticking radially, unless they are in a bay. If you think about it, the front section that they offer to air is minimal, and they are pointy, so the recent drag revisions could only benefit them. Mine, with their blunt noses... we'll see, they all have a bit of margin in there, and other than an overuse of the shielded docking port, I also try to streamline them a lot.

Rune. I am not mucking about with 1.2 too much, no KER is like playing with a hand tied to my back... the windows calculator is protesting the overuse!

Edited by Rune

On 6/1/2013 at 7:24 AM, Cupcake... said:

Something to whet your appetite... Coming real soon. :wink:

Oh dear,

:( Sorry if you're having trouble with the audio, I'm hoping to get the DRM issues resolved soon.

Wow, I just watched this. Too much nostalgia is here.

15 hours ago, Rune said:

It's done and updated for 1.2, and as far as I know @sal_vager knows that it is still there. I guess it didn't make it in time for 1.2, given how it doesn't break the game that badly, but yeah, I hope they do take time to look on it one of these days.

From what I've seen him doing lately, Cupcake has the whole drag system pretty much figured out. No empty nodes, no parts sticking radially, unless they are in a bay. If you think about it, the front section that they offer to air is minimal, and they are pointy, so the recent drag revisions could only benefit them. Mine, with their blunt noses... we'll see, they all have a bit of margin in there, and other than an overuse of the shielded docking port, I also try to streamline them a lot.

Rune. I am not mucking about with 1.2 too much, no KER is like playing with a hand tied to my back... the windows calculator is protesting the overuse!

1.2 is so buttery smooth, but I do miss the mods! In fact I'm gonna have to keep rocking 1.1.2/3 for my videos until all the camera/graphic mods catch up. :P 

14 hours ago, TopHeavy11 said:

Wow, I just watched this. Too much nostalgia is here.

Quite possibly one of my all time worst designs! :blush: At least the videos not bad though. :wink:

Cupcake...

• 2 weeks later...

With 1.2 finally out work is continuing on the little Catalyst SSTO. I've discovered in the course of testing that Linear RCS Ports make fantastic mini heat shields and stop the craft from burning up even while motoring along at ludicrous speeds! :) 

aqJlL3z.jpg

I've also managed to engineer the craft so it will fly into space pretty much unassisted with the tap of the space bar, which is very good news for lazy pilots such as myself. :wink:

f7DNhMy.jpg

I'll try and have a pre-release version out in the next day or so.

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

16 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

I've also managed to engineer the craft so it will fly into space pretty much unassisted with the tap of the space bar, which is very good news for lazy pilots such as myself. :wink:

I am both impressed and terrified that you managed that with an SSTO spaceplane. I struggle to make semi-autonomous ascent vehicles for a vertical rocket (though usually I prefer to just use MechJeb). The things you do in this game will never cease to amaze me.

1 hour ago, eddiew said:

But... but how? (And why?) Guessing it's just a lander, rather than a return to spacer...

In my time on the forums I have learned never to underestimate Cupcake... . There's probably significantly more fuel in that lander than it first appears (I can see a couple of Oscar-Bs and toroidal fuel tanks clipped inside the service bay, and I would expect that they aren't the only ones).

I've been doing a bit of spring cleaning and am trying to re-organize things a bit to make it easier for me to keep all my crafts updated. My plan is to merge the Mork, Mindy & Siren pages into one where all these crafts can be downloaded using a single file.

tYvi06T.jpg

I haven't got round to doing the page yet but I have added the craft file to the odds and sods folder for anyone that wants to get in on the action early. All the crafts have been updated to 1.2 including fuel tweaks that'll see any drop tanks drain first. I've also added the Boson light tug and an RCS base builder (to replace the Puff Puff). I won't tell you too much about the Boson except to say it can push this rocket into orbit while still acting as a lander/escape vessel with 2k of DV. :wink:

ILtZSkA.jpg

Enjoy! :)

Cupcake...

Neat! Thats a great idea. What about the Cypher? Think that one will survive this time?

You might be right about the fate of the Puff Puff, the new bells of those engines made that design almost impossible (landing on the outer tanks etc). As with some other old designs I have a hard time to let it go :rolleyes:... I rebuilt the 0.9 Sprite and 1.0 Toad now in 1.2 too, even thought the atmo changes (lift on Mk2 parts) kinda reduced them to vacuum crafts somewhere along the road.

Of course that is not to say your new stuff isn't great too! Keep em coming, and good job on keeping the fleet updated and tidy.

Edit: intrigued about the Boson too. Interesting choice of name, I like to go for subatomic particle names too sometimes

Edited by Dafni

3 minutes ago, Dafni said:

Neat! Thats a great idea. What about the Cypher? Think that one will survive this time?

You might be right about the fate of the Puff Puff, the new bells of those engines made that design almost impossible (landing on the outer tanks etc). As with some other old designs I have a hard time to let it go :rolleyes:... I rebuilt the 0.9 Sprite and 1.0 Toad now in 1.2 too, even thought the atmo changes (lift on Mk2 parts) kinda reduced them to vacuum crafts somewhere along the road.

Of course that is not to say your new stuff isn't great too! Keep em coming, and good job on keeping the fleet updated and tidy.

I was thinking of retiring the Cypher but it's got a stay of execution... for now. :wink: I'm sad to see the Puff Puff go but the new engines are so big it's just not gonna work anymore.  :(

Cupcake...

Hey Cupcake,

since I love your videos and crafts and discovered today that you are on Patreon, I decided to support your KSP shenanigans - although it is not much that I can contribute at the moment.
Since you set your Patreon page up as per creation/video funding I would like to know what your estimated number of releases/month is, so that I can maximize the amount you receive while still staying below my monthly cap :wink:

I know such things can't be really planned in advance (unless you get a lot more supporters and your KSP creations begin to pay your rent :D ), but any rough estimate would be helpful. :)

On 11/9/2016 at 0:21 AM, Aerospike said:

Hey Cupcake,

since I love your videos and crafts and discovered today that you are on Patreon, I decided to support your KSP shenanigans - although it is not much that I can contribute at the moment.
Since you set your Patreon page up as per creation/video funding I would like to know what your estimated number of releases/month is, so that I can maximize the amount you receive while still staying below my monthly cap :wink:

I know such things can't be really planned in advance (unless you get a lot more supporters and your KSP creations begin to pay your rent :D ), but any rough estimate would be helpful. :)

Sorry for the late reply, this post passed me by for some reason! Anyway, thank-you for your kind support, I don't think KSP will ever pay the rent but it's nice to be able to treat myself to the occasional beer. :wink: I try and stick to a monthly release schedule for my main videos. I might put out the odd bonus vid too but unless it's something that entailed a lot of effort I won't charge my Patreons for it. Thanks again and please stay in touch. :)

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

5 hours ago, Hast5250 said:

Cupcake, you are my favourite ship designer! I finally got ksp today, any advice? Also, sadly I only have a potato computer...:P

Welcome aboard! :) I guess the main piece of advice I can give you is to make sure every part has a purpose and absolutely needs to be there. Ideally you'll get the same part doing multiple jobs if that makes sense? Also I can try and give you some tips to raise your FPS if it'll help?

Cupcake...

Hey, @Cupcake..., I was wondering if you had any plans to do another tutorial video.  Perhaps one showing how to make the Gnat, for instance?  I tried doing one myself, but I just couldn't figure out what part attaches to what, in what order, how to get the symmetry correct, etc.  If you don't have time right now, I understand, but it would really be great, especially since so much has changed in KSP since your last tutorial.

Just now, MerlinsMaster said:

Hey, @Cupcake..., I was wondering if you had any plans to do another tutorial video.  Perhaps one showing how to make the Gnat, for instance?  I tried doing one myself, but I just couldn't figure out what part attaches to what, in what order, how to get the symmetry correct, etc.  If you don't have time right now, I understand, but it would really be great, especially since so much has changed in KSP since your last tutorial.

If I may interject, Cupcakes craft are super simple by design and therefore a breeze to recreate. If you want to know what part connects to what you should download it, open the craft file and hover the mouse over the parts. Parts connected to the one you are mousing over will be highlighted too.

Also remember that Cupcake uses the excellent Editor extensions redux mod which gives you more control over parts and placement in the editor. Give it a go! That is probably why you are having trouble recreating them. I will of course allow the man himself to show you exactly how he made it.

:)

1 minute ago, Majorjim! said:

If I may interject, Cupcakes craft are super simple by design and therefore a breeze to recreate. If you want to know what part connects to what you should download it, open the craft file and hover the mouse over the parts. Parts connected to the one you are mousing over will be highlighted too.

Also remember that Cupcake uses the excellent Editor extensions redux mod which gives you more control over parts and placement in the editor. Give it a go! That is probably why you are having trouble recreating them. I will of course allow the man himself to show you exactly how he made it.

:)

Yeah, that was probably going to be the next thing I was going to try.  As for Editor Extensions Redux, I did use it on previous installs, but I haven't installed it on 1.2 because so far, I haven't felt a need for it.  But maybe it's time to add it on.

11 hours ago, MerlinsMaster said:

I probably should one day, although as you can probably tell I'm not a big fan of doing commentary videos. :P As  @Majorjim! pointed out it's well worth installing editor extensions and I think most of my designs will be very difficult or even impossible to re-create without it. It's been a while since I designed the Gnat but have a go with EE and if you really get stuck let me know. :wink:

Cupcake...

On 19.11.2016 at 4:09 AM, Cupcake... said:

.... Also I can try and give you some tips to raise your FPS if it'll help?

Cupcake...

All ears for tips from you, man, always! Please share!

Edited by Dafni

3 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

I probably should one day, although as you can probably tell I'm not a big fan of doing commentary videos. :P As  @Majorjim! pointed out it's well worth installing editor extensions and I think most of my designs will be very difficult or even impossible to re-create without it. It's been a while since I designed the Gnat but have a go with EE and if you really get stuck let me know. :wink:

Cupcake...

If memory serves, you have done a speaking video before. You had an excellent speaking voice dude, and it was a pleasure to watch so if you feel unsure, don't be!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.