What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

20160411191251_1_zpscsrfadoi.jpg

I was goofing off with my new VTOL probe. My target was the roof on the VAB and I did manage to "hit" the roof.

Hey! I crashed landed on the roof in one piece! Success!

(Yes, I did indeed, for all amazing mcguffin and foul sorcery build a VTOL that work, amazing I know!)

I began work on a rotary rocket. The plan is to lift the rocket as high as the rotors can carry it, then drop the rotors and fire the rocket (I plan on eventually equipping them with parachutes for recovery). The basic concept seems sound, but I don't seem to understand how these rotors (from the KAX mod) are controlled. After it climbs a bit, it starts acting like some of my earliest pinwheel planes, and starts precessing, which pulls it off the desired course (very quickly). I managed to put the record of the first flight in correct order for a slide show. Anyone who knows how to correct the problem is welcome to share this knowledge, especially if you share it with me!

On the pad:

AS-4367_zpsoah0hcyg.jpg

About to abort:
AS-4379_zpsxwlu3kua.jpg

Everything in between: http://s28.photobucket.com/user/SSgtBaloo/slideshow/HelicRocket

2 hours ago, SSgt Baloo said:

I seem to have stumbled on to the secret of stability for the HelicRocket. Instead if tail fins, I added tail rotors.

More here: http://s28.photobucket.com/user/SSgtBaloo/slideshow/HelicRocket%20II

I'm so confused by why this works...

But it won't stop me using the knowledge for myself :)

Trying to build a Curiosity looking rover. Lots of IR in this one. Does anyone know a tip, trick, part that will make joint connections not come apart? (I am using Joint Reinforcement) I need to strengthen the rover propulsion assembly.  Edit: Fixed it with UbioZur Welding Ltd. no more struts. Working rocker bogie suspension system. See this for demo: http://i.imgur.com/W4LaY91.gifv

Vevqf6F.png

Edited by hellblazer

33 minutes ago, eddiew said:

I'm so confused by why this works...

But it won't stop me using the knowledge for myself :)

Don't forget to add enough intakes. That was a secondary concern. Having one rotor stop working right after liftoff isn't very helpful. I also made sure the launch stabilizers were feeding fuel, so the rotors could spool up enough that releasing them wasn't anticlimactic (or disastrous).

Edited by SSgt Baloo

And today I failed to assemble my revised Duna mothership because I'd put the lower docking port seniors on backwards. Kept nudging the core stage into it's fuel tanks and wondering why they wouldn't dock!

Did two satellite contracts inside Kerbin's SOI, rotated Minmus Science Station crew (4 only), docked Minmus lander there, redesigned 15,20,25 and 30 ton main stages, so they are able to reach 100x100 LKO, deploy payload and return back. Prepared two satellites and tourists to visit Duna/Ike. Now waiting to transfer windows Kerbin-Duna and Duna-Kerbin.

Last night I brought 2 landers in to Laythe.  Laythe III was set for a gentle prograde insertion and hopefully a targeted land-mass landing; this failed, as my aerobraking was too aggressive.  It ended up coming down almost in sight of Laythe II, which had entered on a direct, retro-grade vector;  it pulled over 30 g's and lost some instruments, but the shielding design kept its core intact to land.

Additionally, I started a thread asking for someone who might have the aptitude to create a Distant Solar Science mod;

So it's been 55 years since the first human was shot to space. In order to celebrate this anniversary, I decided to honor this historic effort by lauching good ol' Jeb to LKO using the craft (ASES F1-b) that got him there as my "first Kerbal in space" many, many Muns ago.

screenshot97.pngscreenshot100.pngscreenshot108.png

...for science, for kerbalkind! :D

Edited by lodger
fixed typoe

No pictures as I was distracted. Finally got my plane to Kerbin's north pole. Flat snow covered terrain as far as you can see in all directions. I used the surface info from MechJeb so I would know when I was closing in. This proved helpful but not particularly needed as everything starts rotating when you get close. Spotted the X made by the graphics glitch. Plane rolled to a stop right over the X. Bill attempted to plant a flag exactly over the pole and under the plane. Had to settle for close enough. Very Twilight Zone experience as Bill took one step and suddenly found himself on his side suspended in nothingness. Cool. Got back onboard and discovered the weird physics wouldn't allow forward or turning movement. Raised landing gear so rover wheels could be used to back away from the pole. Took off. Flew to a certain anomaly that is reasonably nearby. When landing I managed to knock the air intake off the front of the plane. Don't ask. Planted flag to mark the half-buried find. I'll probably go into the file and 'fix' the intake rather than sending a rescue. Bill would no doubt McGyver I field repair. Then we will be off to the desert. I hear there are a couple more anomalies that need flagging in that region.