What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Built a plane, the F-4 Phantom was the inspiration, and I named it '4' because of that.
1Cm2pFd.png

8GlSbrP.png

As always I'm messing with my planes to see how far I can modify them. Not really a droptank person but I'm considering to put em on planes that needs to be balanced by removing a lot of fuel.

CTM7Nw9.png

Edited by Mignear

Mucked about with an RSS/RO launcher design before going back to Stock and starting a flying wing thing
Y3LDOyM.png

Needs alot more work, especially on the backend. KSP curves are hard....

8 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Jeb tried to take this nuclear powered electric prop hybrid to orbit.  It didn't work.  Did better than expected, though.

Bailed out about 25k up.

screenshot255.pngscreenshot257.png

screenshot259.pngscreenshot260.png

I think it would be good if electric props were in stock. It would be a more efficient way to explore Eve, Duna, Laythe or even Kerbin.

Anyway!!! Back to my main savegame!!! I launched a carrier for my two space station manipulator tugs (unfortunately, no stock RMS yet :() By the highly scientific method of watching Youtube videos, I figured out that if I just orbited Kerbin 20 times I could get about 8 kilometres from the station. Then I could just do a small-ish burn to get in close proximity (After a lot of annoying fiddling around with manoevre nodes I finally settled on 1.5km)

Not prepared to wait for the LKO-level timewarp to complete those 20 orbits, I went in my other save and attempted to destroy the VAB. I, unfortunately, failed. I tried aiming Jeb's Aeris 3A at the VAB and then bailing him out at near-supersonic speeds. This, however, caused him to spaghettify. So I eventually stopped playing for the night.

(I have this bad habit of doing stuff on KSP in the evening and then posting on this thread the next morning. So, a disclaimer: anything I post on this thread may not have actually happened today)

As per my tradition, the finalised '4' test craft is sent to the northern base.

yw4xU9c.png

And for the modified '4', it ended up in orbit. What was originally an attempt to use the Rapier engines ended up with an accidental SSTO, though the fuel situation was really close.

7dZNI2Q.png

9x6M2QY.jpg
Hey guys, after long break, i am about to finish Ultimate Minimus 6 Expedition. 
I need to land on Bop and then on Gilly. I am at Kerbin right now, as the screen shows

However, i am not sure what is the most efficient way to land on Bop. In fact approaching into Jool system affects how close to Bop trajectory i manage to get to.
1) Aerobreaking  or gravity breaking around Laythe/Tylo doesnt bring me  much save of deltaV. After that break i am too close to Jool, and my orbit is declined too much from Bop. That means i need more than 1000 m/s to match the Bop orbit.
2) I can come into Jool system to touch the Bop trajectory, and retrograde burn. But that break maneuver is more than 1200 m/s.

Any suggestion what might help to spend less m/s getting on Bop orbit?
BTW my lander has around 2300 m/s so it can do a lot of approach maneuvering alone, but i need to get back to mothership, which would be quite difficult if she is on completely different orbit around Jool
Edited by papuchalk

Hi All, 

Long time lurker first time poster. This thread is always nice to follow while i'm not able to play so i thought i'd participate !

Spent the last few sessions building a big (and probably inefficient) pyramidal lander with ISRU capabilities. Had to change the legs for struts because 1.4.2 reasons, and beware about the approximative symmetry, but it packs around 3600 dv and i really wanted to to get it working ; after lots of tweaking, it did quite well on a Duna mission. :)

Album a/SKXjb will appear when post is submitted

(Not really sure how those images will appear :x )

A somewhat similar version of it is en route to the Jool system, but i used a nuclear transfer stage that I hope to use as a small spare fuel station when exploring the different moons. 

Then i wanted to make it SSTO but that ended requiring a lot more rework and that's a story for another post.. :)

Edited by Radprosium

@hellblazer That was pretty impressive!   I was in awe right up to the point where the muppets made an appearance in the command seat.   LOL!

...otherwise, very nice video and modelling there.  Not sure how you upgrade your astronauts for the next video.

1 hour ago, XLjedi said:

@Kronus_Aerospace  I wish there was a way to do stock fowlers on big wings like that.  I s'pose some small split flaps on top may suffice.

True, and the rear flaps on aircraft such as this are so large that only the Big-S control surfaces are large enough, but unfortunately they aren't really usable because of how they're slanted.

You guys might remember my Azi24 Cronus and Azi31 Rhea, the largest stock helicopters ever IRL or KSP.

YlL3muk.png

t9oc0gs.jpg

Today I started work on a very ambitious project: A tiltrotor craft. Never done this before and ... the tiltrotor mechanism isn't functional yet.

What is functional: a craft that's even larger than the Cronus, now larger than the 747-8 in every dimension (80x70x27), and with a cargo hold far surpassing that of the AN-225 (2146m3 vs 1300m3).

mbqqJ5S.png

It uses the Vapula RS engine which uses just 6 blowers to produce 1720kN of thrust on the rotors. With some work it can be upgraded to ~3000kN and still be reliable.

shRlP7g.png

Regardless of the tiltrotor mechanism, it can take off as a normal airplane in taildragger mode, be an STOL or VTOL. Just a matter of changing the angle in the editor.

EHiZq5N.png

To be honest ... the airframe is 95% finished and quite the performer. It's the tilt mechanism I'm scared about.

Control is not a problem because for the first time I used the Boost Flaps for something else than cars. I can get rid of 75 - 100% of the reaction wheels this way. It's a lot more responsive but therefore also a lot more nervous. And it really reduces the pilot's workload (no more tapping action groups like with the Cronus and Rhea).

OuoJEub.png

Tunnel vision!

Y8LfgiH.png

Edited by Azimech

56 minutes ago, Azimech said:

It's the tilt mechanism I'm scared about.

I had earlier also tried a giant tiltwing thing. Got the mechanism ok-ish, but not the engines.

If you want, I can send over the craft file for you to poke around in. It should still work...

Edited by qzgy

29 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I had earlier also tried a giant tiltwing thing. Got the mechanism ok-ish, but not the engines.

If you want, I can send over the craft file for you to poke around in. It should still work...

I am interested :-)

And I can send you my engines just beware ... they're overbuilt so ... heavy, large part count, huge. Not the best for turboprops but ideal for helicopters!

5 minutes ago, Azimech said:

I am interested :-)

And I can send you my engines just beware ... they're overbuilt so ... heavy, large part count, huge. Not the best for turboprops but ideal for helicopters!

Ok.

This was a test craft I was working on to actually make a tiltrotor. The hinge mechanism is located in the front of a panel bulkhead thing inside the cargo bays and basically consists of several clipped 2.5m tanks held together by a cage of structural beams and plates. This craft I think is a derivative of that using many many RCS balls instead of structural panels to hold the central 2.5m hub. But its the same idea.

OTGuJPB.png

Oh, should also mention that both are quite rough. As in - it technically does work, but gyroscopic effects are not your friend (having four rotors spinning isn't really helping.)

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

Ok.

This was a test craft I was working on to actually make a tiltrotor. The hinge mechanism is located in the front of a panel bulkhead thing inside the cargo bays and basically consists of several clipped 2.5m tanks held together by a cage of structural beams and plates. This craft I think is a derivative of that using many many RCS balls instead of structural panels to hold the central 2.5m hub. But its the same idea.

OTGuJPB.png

Oh, should also mention that both are quite rough. As in - it technically does work, but gyroscopic effects are not your friend (having four rotors spinning isn't really helping.)

:/ I've been worried about gyroscopic effect of the blades on my own tilt-rotor. I don't see a pretty solution, other than clipping 30 large SAS wheels in the engines. Perhaps adding a spinning counterweight to balance out the precession... Wait that's a terrible idea :P Still though you have the problem of it behaving like a Frisbee when you land, mrocking back and forth as the blades even out. There's gotta be a better way! :(

Edit: The more I think about this the more the Osprey impresses me.

Edit edit: This might be interesting to you guys... Apparently the osprey used gyroscopic precession for torque and extra maneuverability while hovering at low speeds and landing. Neat.

Edited by Avera9eJoe