What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

After a few shake down trips to Mun, I felt it was time to go interplanetary. 

Spoiler

The Mun craft lacked a proper transfer stage for planetary trips. With the approx 3500 dv addition, it became necessary to redesign the booster staging. Here it sits on the launchpad.

sxLZo5W.jpg

After launch, the first to be dropped are the solid rockets.

AVvpIEN.jpg

The tanks drop.

4jSg4DD.jpg

Fairings come off at 50k and circularization is next on the agenda.

D2UFauq.jpg

And transfer to Duna begins. 4 Nervs were needed to get TWR to a usable number.

u0vWMsU.jpg

We have arrived.

A3JGoIi.jpg

A heavy dust storm added a touch of panic to the landing. It was flawless otherwise. 

KQ42pYi.jpg

Planted flag. Toured the area with the rover. When it was time to leave, the rover provided a little extra height to reach the ladder that I forgot had not been fixed. I also had to Macgyver solar panels that broke during landing. Parts from the rover were used - not really, I edited the file, but n RL that is what would have been done. :wink: After batteries recharged, It was off to dock with the command module in orbit.

dbFVkON.jpg

There was plenty of fuel left in both craft to transfer to Ike. 

9EqCWTr.jpg

Ike was disappointing. The crew thought it was just a big lump of charcoal. Apparently that was a prophetic thought after redocking in really low Ike orbit, the crew slammed the entire ship into a surprisingly high hilly area. Any one want Smores?

Edited by Red Shirt

8 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

. . . ?

to do what, exactly? :blink:

To have his vessel in suborbital flight above Kerbin, I think....

Wait, what!? What's the prerequisite before that? I didn't think you could get any lower than suborbital above Kerbin. Also they're paying you a kings ransom for that, @Mikki.

650 years? Kerbin could be a fried potato by then!

Edited by AccidentsHappen

So, while thinking about how to get my crew back to Kerbin, I was reminded of crew transfers on my old space station (RIP :(). Which then got me thinking about crew transfers on a certain International Space Station...

Shuttle_Orbit.png

Shuttle.png

Shuttle_Reentry.png

Came in over water, as I wasn't confident in this thing's ability to glide, or the strength of the landing gear.

Anndd... nailed it! Only lost the engines, winglets and the nose cone!

Shuttle_Splashed.png

Wow, this thing floats really well.

Still trucking ever onward across the Munar landscape.  In the map below, the rover started out on the far right (the debris visible on that side of the picture is the lander section that delivered the rover, with the crew capsule "near" by)

Apart from the cluster of flags around the Twin Crater, each one is placed 40km apart, which served as a measure of distance.  The craft close to the South Pole is their (now doomed) return vessel.  The aim is to get as close to that as the mountains allow.

hJHOXO9.png

The crew pause for a much needed stretch of their legs, to celebrate crossing over into the Pole biome.

8bDa7s5.png

And finally - Jeb got the totally the wrong end of the stick when he heard about the "Mun Rover"!! 

Spoiler

vBxZMd1.png

@nascarlaser1 Different kerbals have different g-force limits. I think the most I've seen is 9.4g, though it varies from kerbal to kerbal. You can check what the limit is for a kerbal by hovering the cursor over the g-force bar on their portrait in the bottom right of the screen. Parts also have g-force limits, but unless you experience 50g accelerations, you're probably fine. Also, the g-force limits can be turned on or off for each save in settings.

21 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

played 1.2 for first time.

Discovered that in 1.2, g-forces actually matter....

Discovered its time to redesign my stunt plane to make sure my pilots don't pass out during a loop.....

Discovered what happens when a Kerbal hit the ground mid loop....

I made lots of discoveries today!

Me too! I discovered out that radiation is bad and what happens if a Kerbal is ejected from their plane into the VAB. I also discovered that it hurts if the second stage lands on your plane while you're taxiing down the runway on a DMP server. Bill found out Val doesn't care if he's standing in front of her stunt car and what it feels like to be run over by small landing gear.

Bob also proved Taylor Swift was right by discovering that bandaids don't fix bullet holes, especially AA sized ones.

So much discovery!

Edited by AccidentsHappen

1 minute ago, AccidentsHappen said:

Me too! I discovered out that radiation is bad and what happens if a Kerbal is ejected from their plane into the VAB. I also discovered that it hurts if the second stage lands on your plane while you're taxiing down the runway on a DMP server. Bill found out Val doesn't care if he's standing in front of her stunt car and what it feels like to be run over by small landing gear.

So much discovery!

wait... there's radiation in 1.2?!?!?!

Gawd! Sometimes I think I am really bad at this.

I want to be able to use ore extractors on Mun or Mimmus to fuel a mission to Duna so that I don't have to lift all the fuel from Kerbin, But for the life of me I can't find a solution with stock parts that does more than a one off tank of fuel. But I figured I should try at least that, since I have never used an ore extractor before. So I used my R&D game save (I have two games. One in which I do stupid stuff, and one in which I at least try to be serious.) I launched an empty fuel tank, with a separate launch engine, at the top of a drill-o-matic, holding tank and converter-o-tron. The very first thing I notice is that an empty tank at the top throws off the center of gravity for a launch from Kerbin. I did get the thing in orbit and with a bit of swearing in orbit around Mimmus. Landing a long monstrous like this was a challenge, but not as hard as I thought it would be. I am slowly extracting ore now, but I am not sure my effort is worth the one tank of fuel I can transfer to my Duna bound space craft - which hasn't even been built yet - let alone in orbit around Mimmus.

30754676600_52402c6e39.jpg

Had a hard time getting images uploaded to Imgur... apparently they're having problems(?), or maybe it's just me. Anyway.....

I had an interesting image of a thermal overlay on a ship containing the PPD-10 Hitchhiker Storage Container, which was devoid of any thermal indication. You need to see the image.

The other issue is a new ship I'd built; SunDiver1. An Ion ship, after conventional rocket launch, and conventional rocket transport out of Kerbin's SOI, I did about a 4 hour burn this afternoon which brought it's Pe down to under 500m of the sun's surface. I had some other things to do IRL, so I saved the game and exited. When I came back and restarted the game, loading up the save and then switching to SunDiver1, it suddenly after a few brief seconds began to shudder violently, and proceeded to literally shake itself apart, going into a seriously mad wild spin in the process, eventually exploding. There is nothing left of it but small debris. I have no idea of the phantom physics involved in this one, the ship flew fine for over 4 hours. I'm hoping the Kraken isn't out and about, flying around the inner planets, because I've two other ships out there ... one heading to Moho, the other Eve. :mad:

16 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

.... so I saved the game and exited. When I came back and restarted the game, loading up the save and then switching to SunDiver1, it suddenly after a few brief seconds began to shudder violently, and proceeded to literally shake itself apart, going into a seriously mad wild spin in the process, eventually exploding.... :mad:

I have had problems like that with planes while flying.

I think part of the problem is parts that are clipped. When they get reloaded from a save as opposed to from the VAB (SPH). It's different somehow.

What you can do is go to the cheat menu and select "Unbreakable Joints". Follow with F9. Once physic as finish loading and all is fine uncheat it. You should be back to where you were when you saved.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

Found a flat piece of Gilly Midlands. Not an easy task let me tell ya. Midlands are equivalent to "Slopes", what exists between Lowlands and Highlands. Luckily a saddle between two Highlands had a flat stretch.

Landed the base parts. Began construction.

I8bAkcQ.png

This is fully intended. Only after completing the planned maneuver I understood how ridiculous it looks.

EApoXL1.png

Worked into the evening...

abHZjQy.png

Got the Manufacturer assembly up and running, when the first night on Gilly came.

lzfOLGo.png

Today, I launched a Fairy dispenser... Because every astronomical body needs it's own fairy to read and relay signal to nearby ships.
After fixing the Fairy-eating Kraken bug yesterday, I start working on my DSN, fairy network !

NqYJsy4.png
At 1 million Kerbucks a piece, you really don't want the Kraken to get it's hands on the fairy dispenser.  Here it stands in a 500k orbit ready to release the fairies.

PgfYQpj.png
The 'Kerbin Fairy' has just spread her wings and will go into a 90° polar orbit.  Long Ion burns are long, but I have a good book.

kNjDEnQ.png
Then it was the turn of the 'Mün Fairy' ... Same deal, 90° orbit around the Mün at a 500k orbit.  It's already working well with my rover and a fuel depot.

Not feeling like time warping 24 days for the 'Minmus Fairy', I looked at the mission building and noticed a few missions...

• Plant a Flag on the Mün
  • Plant a Flag on Minmus
  • Ferry 4 tourists in a mix of Mün-Minmus, and another mission to ferry 3 tourists at the same place.
  • Science around Kerbin
  • Dock 2 vessels around Mün
  • Build a space station around Minmus
  • Build a space station around Mün
  • Build a space station around Kerbin.

Now...  This seems like a nice mission to do... all at once.  Ok, I means it needs space for 12 kerbals, have a cupola, power generation, antenna, 2 pilots, 2 scientists, and room for 7 more tourists.
I just couldn't resist.  I dug into that one the whole evening.  I went a bit tight on the fuel, and even with a refueling ship, not sure I have enough for Minmus... Maybe.  But another tanker could be sent rather quickly around Mün if I find out I need it.   I am also not sure I didn't spend more money making the thing than the mission will provide.  I think so, but not 100% sure yet :)

K2cWYsc.png 
2 Ares Capsules = room for 12, both can eject and re-entry (forgot heatshields again tho). 2 antennae, a few solar panels, 4 large landing gears and 2 Poodles.
And a whole 1850 dV.  Mün was expensive, but I feel I've got this one assuming I don't burn-up at re-entry later...

The mission is not over, but so far so good.  Conclusion to follow some other time !
EDIT:  I'm such a dummy, I did not forget the heatshieds, they are the inflatable ones and stashed just behind the Ares capsules.  yay !

Edited by Francois424