What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

RucxzMo.png

Started building the Duna Space tug then realized that I would half to move the solar panels and the tiny runabout further towards the stern of the ship, and not have them dock to the Duna station in order to avoid the big nuclear engine exhaust.

With my current plan I intend to send a large space train to Duna along with a few other payloads that will be launched separately when the transfer window becomes available. Right now the space train can carry 9 Kerbals although that will probably end up jumping to somewhere between 14 and 18 once the entire mission is assembled in LKO.

OK. After the horrible neck in the wing dream, Dorick flew down and picked up Bob and Bill. Then the boarded the 4 capsule return ship and went to Vall with unscheduled flyby of Tylo. Then went from Vall to a Kerbin crossing orbit, worked out an encounter and a couple of Kerbin years later landed! Yay! Including the EVA reports they grabbed off Tylo and Vall, they had 3814.8 science stuffed in their pockets from the crashed science base.

But poor Dorick will have a lot of paperwork to do regarding the tail strike incident on landing which knocked off the central jet engine on Laythe Jet 2. Fortunately it was a deferrable mechanical. He'll have plenty of time at the Laythe Science Station to work that out.

I actually managed to do Apollo in the real solar systmem without resorting to modded parts! Recorded it and made turned it into a video very similar to the other one, but this one was more deserving of the bombastic music =P

The most difficult part was the creation of the launch vehicle, which incidentally ended up being the same mass as the Saturn 5, although it can't even lift half the mass into orbit, cuz KSP components are kind of **** when it comes to TWR and mass fractions, so I had to compensate by using nuclear engine on the transfer stage.

Edited by maccollo

Sent my Space Task Group to Jool, six dual probes (an orbiter with Scansat and Kethane sensors and a lander with science modules, the poor Jool lander will die in the decent...), a probe kethane extractor for Laythe, a permanent base for Laythe, a rover for Laythe and an interplanetar exploration ship. there was a "little" congestion on LKO. everytime I launched a new ship, I saw one of the prevoius launched passing really close (the closer was less than 500m) :D

Another task group will be send very soon with more kethane extractor and permanent colony and rovers. I hope to establish kerbalkind on Joolian SOI while I make the same with Duna and prolly Eve (but I don't like the idea Eve is mainly a oneway trip.

My only is I didn't have a life support mod when I launch all of thoses vessels so I can't use it now cause it will kill my dear little green men :sealed:

For a break....Tried out some lighter than air aircraft and the new Kn-2 cockpit.

ZPV5viA.png

BFGX16m.png

AqxhqKK.png

Now back to figuring out how to make and use antimatter...maybe.

The Kn-2 I got from the spaceport http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/kerbonov-kn-2-cockpit-module/

The Airship parts from http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-22-hooligan-labs-airships/ with some Lack Luster Lab parts.

The flight of the "DUCK" and it fly's like one too.

mjbnjmq.png

Who left the radio on???? http://imgur.com/3lBeNBa

Edited by BJ Quest

I set up a first satellite network around Kerbin that covers the Mun and Minmus.

1024x640.resizedimage

All 4 are in a 1 hour orbit. Sadly, as you can see, I messed up one of the orbits quite badly (far too eccentric for my taste) and must probably send up a replacement satellite, as this configuration seems to lack in around the clock coverage.

I wanted to rid myself of Munbase A to make room for the newer, much less hamfisted, and more efficient Munbase B.

The only problem was that Munbase A was fitted with a 2-man escape pod with no parachutes, and there was a 3 man crew.

So I sent up a return vessel that also had a science boom for Munbase B sitting on top. I tossed the boom into it's 500Km orbit, and then used the massive amount of fuel remaining in Munbase A to rendezvous with the return craft.

I transfered all 3 crew into the return craft, only to realize that it, too, was lacking parachutes. (I'm on a roll!)

I un-docked the return craft, and used the probe-core on Munbase A to de-orbit it.

screenshot17_zps3ded9173.png

I sent the return craft back over to Kerbin, and stuck it in a stable 300Km orbit, and just sent up another simple return craft.

All 3 crew-members returned safely!

and I now have moon-base debris in weird orbits they don't look like they should be in. (aka: not around a moon)

screenshot16_zps2bf98372.png

I launched an extensive mission to retrieve Jeb from the Mun. He landed hard and the engine was destroyed. He's been stranded there for several weeks while the technology to rescue him was researched.

The mission was fraught with problems but Jeb and the rescue crew overcame all obstacles. The rescue ship landed on an incline and toppled. But this was my most accurate unassisted landing ever achieved and Bill parked it about 400m from Jeb. Numerous attempts to right the ship failed including by shifting batteries as ballast and moving rcs nozzles on an extended EVA. Eventually the decision was made to launch horizontally and try to maneuver into an orbit. Thrusting so hard while laying on its side destroyed the capsule re-entry parachutes. Thankfully the crew was able to get the ship into a stable orbit over Kerbin.

When this was done an unmanned ship was quickly designed and launched into LKO. Jeb engaged in an Eva where he transferred the chutes from the unmanned cargo pod to the capsule. Its hard to control EVA rcs with those on your back but Jebediah managed it and the crew returned safely to KSP. Within hours Jeb was back in space on a science flyby mission to Duna.

Edited by Woolywoo
Typos

After months of procrastination and half hearted attempts finally started on my station whilst also practicing rendevous. Station is 3/4 complete, also developed a sweet little escape shuttle. To much docking for tonight

Testing a Tylo lander - blasted off from the KSC launchpad, thought it would be a good idea to land on the VAB rooftop helipad. Flew over it, corrected, flew back over, corrected, slammed into the top of the building and lost one engine, one fuel tank and three lander legs, spiralled down in circles towards the ground with the remaining engine turning the craft madly, hit the ground, lost the remaining engine and fuel tank and watched in astonishment as the lander can bounced to a stop. Lucky Kerbal!