What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today was a good day. Mostly. Jeb got rescued from the mun, and brought back scientific knowledge I can now put into use for spacplanes ( aka: finally got turbojets). My basic Com Sat system around Kerbin stands, I fulfilled a handfull of contracts, and Nebe Kerman is out on her way to leave kerbins SOI for a brief hop. Was originally only to be a minmus flyby, but hey, she had the dV and supplies :D

Finished building this (career mode).

2LREmRW.jpg

I saved some cash too.

xzkmOTX.jpg

Mission one completed.

RdeStI0.jpg

Mission two was a partial failure,although a landing was made to test a new lander design.

U0533Ms.jpg

400 science transmitted and a further 400 being processed in the on board lab.

I spent the weekend mainly finishing off the "Kallichore" my first quite large ship.

It was launched as two main sections and then required delivery of its crew, landers and monopropellant.

This was the final Kerbin orbit fuel run delivering the last 2000 units of monoprop.

dXNdVmf.png

Fully loaded it has a crew of 6 and carries two landers with about 2,200 m/s of DeltaV each. And is able to act as a local command center for Remote tech with a comms range of 350 Mm on the main dish and 90 Mm on the three small dishes.

The mothership has about 12,000m/s of DeltaV when fueled by water and pushing 20,000 when fueled with Hydrazine.

It's seen here departing Kerbin orbit headed to Minmus where it will be fully fueled with water befor for its initial mission to Duna, launch window in about 30 days time.

JKn1r2l.png

Construction did not go entirely smoothly, the MkI version's main section was fine until I tried to dock with it. . . when it suffered a random repeatable overheating explosion of one of the central components. The redesigned (non-spontaneously exploding) MkII version can be seen here conducting a salvage operation upon the remains.

EJnzICZ.png

Edit: Please forgive the glowing cargobays, side effect of the interstellar mod which makes cargobays into radiators and seemingly makes them glow MUCH brighter than the ACTUAL radiators. A minor bug I'm hoping will be squished.

Edited by Bishop149

These days I did some stuff, like designing the core of my Minmus base and fulfilling a couple of contracts for money

Main "events" are documented by screenshots

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Reentered with the small pod, carrying some science; it was surprisingly stable and glided well. Made my first "real" flight with that SSTO in this save to deploy 2 probes for contracts with a really low operating cost

Then I docked those extensions to my station (4 Gigantors, 4 medium radiators, batteries ) and those little probes you can see attached on docking ports are going to try to recover those unused Mun landers, provided that I manage to slow them down enough and avoid burning up

Spent the weekend doing this and that. Sent a group of tourists to Mun. Landing went well, reorbit went well...but the craft only has 170 m/s of delta-V left at this point. Ship does have CoT Jrs so a refuel mission is being planned. Meanwhile, another Death Fortress 7 mission was sent to pick up Jeb (whose own Death Fortress tipped over on landing) along with the two Kerbals he was sent to rescue from Mun (one from orbit, one from the surface). That mission went comparatively well; I was able to pick them up, gather the science they'd picked up while they were there and get the whole crew back to Kerbin safely. The DF design could use a set of Seperatrons to clear the lander bit from the CM, but other than that and a high center of mass there's not much wrong with the design.

Meanwhile, Bob has made it to Minmus orbit. Never did get the Explore Minmus contract, but at least the game gave me a contract for a Minmus flyby and a Minmus orbit, so there is that. Tonight he lands. Hopefully he should have enough delta-V to hit three or four biomes before he has to return to Kerbin. I'm hoping his mission will rake in some serious amounts of science; short term goal there is to unlock the remaining sci instruments.

Admin building's been upgraded to Level 2 - that leaves Admin, SPH, VAB and the Tracking Station to upgrade to full.

gathered some science from the mun.. first i refueled at a station in lko and did the transfer to the mun. i left the transfer stage in orbit and descended with the lander. then i noticed i forgot the landing struts so i landed on the engines, hopped to 2 other biomes and returned to the transfer stage in orbit. on my way back to kerbin i noticed i forgot to add parachutes :/ so i docked the lander to my lko station again and sent a new rocket carrying only some rcs fuel and parachutes in the final stage. docked that to the lander and finally splashed down on kerbin with 1330 science points. back in the space center i noticed i forgot to plant a flag on the mun for a contract (the reason i went up there in the first place)..

3B1C4A8CB52FD90617284F7A7909EE922930B60A

4110DCE32FDC1BA086B467A67E919CD0B9CB1BE7

Over the weekend I did a bunch of small contracts - rescue so-and-so from LKO, build a new station around Minmus, that sort of thing. I was waiting for my three long missions currently under way to get to their destinations. But then, I got to the point where there were fourteen current contracts and only one new 1-star contract coming up, I decided to time-warp the 150 days to the first of the three long missions arrival date. After stabilizing orbit, one of it's two landers fulfilled the 'Explore Gilly' mission and returned to the main ship. Then I docked the two landers together and left them with a rookie pilot in a stable orbit, to stay there until she gets rescued some time in the future. The Eve Base mission is now in a slowly degrading orbit with Pe of ~84,000 meters. The mission could quite possibly fail when attempting to land, as the ablators are completely worn out now after about 20 aerobraking orbits. I will now have to drop the ablators and try to land without overheating. I have my doubts.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-16%20at%202.18.17%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-16%20at%205.05.50%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-16%20at%208.03.41%20PM.png

I feel much more confident about the Duna mission, since it is already safely on the ground. It arrived at Duna about 40 days after the Eve mission got into orbit, but I wanted to get both into their destination orbits before attempting to land either one.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-16%20at%203.18.09%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-16%20at%206.02.57%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-16%20at%206.06.23%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-16%20at%206.22.41%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-16%20at%206.31.06%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-16%20at%206.43.44%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-16%20at%206.45.16%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-16%20at%206.54.03%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-16%20at%206.59.27%20PM.png

*Yes, I spell 'base' as bass on purpose - either the fish or the instrument, take your pick. It amuses me.

Quite a lot over the weekend, first I brought a class B asteroid home to the KSC(original landing was ~13km off shore, so I decided to make a rover with electric powered propellers to bring it to shore.

Unfortunately it was unstable above physics warp 2x or above 2m/s, even without the asteroid in tow.

So it took a bit of time to get there, especially since I went over-board with the structural intakes and my frame rate was lower than with my asteroid retrieval vessel(6-12fps for rover, ~16fps for my normal vessels) (I think it took over an hour of game-time at 2x to just get to the landed vessel that was keeping the asteroid from sinking, fortunatley nothing broke with the second vessel klawed the same asteroid and I was able to recover the asteroid retrieval vessel.

After getting it to the shore, I swapped out for a new model(the first one spent most of the return trip upside down) to get it to its parking location between the SPH and runway.

Then I made a more minimalistic rover using electric wheels and a serious tilt(still had large landing gear to get the asteroid off the ground after being klawed), and took it on a tour of the KSC.

Turns out you get 60 science per biome for asteroid samples, so I got nearly 1500 science from this little show-and-tell.(almost 9 for the second sample with an over-all total of probably 70 per biome), I also discovered that I had not taken surface samples or crew reports from most of those buildings(probably because my last science roving was before the final upgrades)

Asteroid pictures:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

note asteroids do not seem to radiate heat away, so heat-management may be needed to get rid of a heat bar if it gets one.

I also suspect that each asteroid is counted distinctly, so I could probably get > 1500 science per asteroid I bring to the KSC.

After that my grand tour arrived at Duna, landed to refuel and plant XP flags, did an atmospheric hop over to the Craters biome(apparently only exists where the lowlands and polar biomes touch which is why I missed it previously), then went to Ike for further XP flags and a final Duna-system refueling stop.

After fuel and ore were topped off, I tried to find a node to get me to Jool(perhaps with a Duna-assist), but eventually gave up and headed towards Eve for a stop on Gilly.

While all this was going on, both of my returning Duna missions landed on Minmus to refuel and then headed towards Kerbin.

As the first Duna mission to return to Kerbin(in 3 more days) was built under 1.0.2 and is not well suited to landing in 1.0.4, I am planning to launch a return-vessel with a pilot which will swap-out with the current crew(Enginneer+5 scientists) which will take as much science as they can on the return vessel, then the return pilot will try to get as much of the craft as possible to the ground intact.

I am thinking that I will want a landing-assist pod in the rescue craft that can be Klawed by the Duna ship after the crew transfer and will have lots of air-brakes and parachutes for the reentry of the historic vessel.(first ever successful return from Duna in KSP if I can get it down with the cockpit intact)