[1.2-1.7] Blender (2.83+) .mu import/export addon

5 hours ago, The Brazilian Luigi said:

Now that I know how to import, I wonder

How do I export without breaking the file, onto a file type usable with 3D printers

Save as an .STL in the Export as section. Your model won't retain things specific to KSP in that form but all the 3d modeling will. You can do the reverse to import but beware, usually STL are much larger models and have more vertices than the KSP engine can handle, also they can't be exported as a .mu and turn back up as a 3d model unless you assign materials to them (texture file.).

I've been able to import the vast majority of my craft fine. However, I've been running into an issue with a craft that uses breaking ground, error below.

unknown.png

I've been able to import the vast majority of BG parts without issue, but the one here that refuses to import is a turboprop that was added later. BG was introduced 1.7.1, while this part was introduced 1.7.3, if that has anything to do with the error.

Any idea on the problem?

2 hours ago, Voyager15 said:

I've been able to import the vast majority of BG parts without issue, but the one here that refuses to import is a turboprop that was added later. BG was introduced 1.7.1, while this part was introduced 1.7.3, if that has anything to do with the error.

Any idea on the problem?

Are you sure you have the right gamedata specified in the config?  I wonder if you might be pointing to a 1.7.1 or 1.7.2 install

@ColdJ

wondering if you can help.  I have a problem importing some craft files.  I'll show the problem with the stock KerbalX:

Spoiler

U1rIuSh.png

The problem is that it's all one thing, I want to delete the parachute at the top of the craft, but can't figure out how to do it

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Are you sure you have the right gamedata specified in the config?  I wonder if you might be pointing to a 1.7.1 or 1.7.2 install

It should be the latest install, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to load the craft in the game.

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The problem is that it's all one thing, I want to delete the parachute at the top of the craft, but can't figure out how to do it

Thanks to the wisdom of @Concodroid. For the benefit of others as @linuxgurugamer now knows. Here is a simple import of the stock KerbalX.craft file to remove it's chute and make it a 3d printable file format that could also be potentially then exported as a solid .mu to be used as static. Make sure your folder pathway is set to GameData for the .mu pluging under the preferences section. Go to Kerbal Space Program\Ships\VAB\ using the import KSP craft files option and get the KerbalX.craft file. Use the picture to see where the Make Instances Real option is and click it. You will now have a long list on the right and you want to find section canopy.001

0KBdNq7.png

vDBgAv3.png

With just it highlighted you want to right click it and left click delete hierachy.

FaT0RtY.png

This will remove the chute. You then want to use the box or lasso select to highlight everything at once by putting it around the entire model.

nOEOTiu.png

Once everything is highlighted go over to the File drop down, go down to Export and choose as an STL, give it a name and save.

Start new to clear everything and then Import STL back in your saved file. You should now have a solid model of the KerbalX.

pmjAcuR.png

Remember to assign a Materials file and put it under a heirachy before trying to export as a .mu to use as a static. I don't yet know how to create those from scratch, so I import a simple .mu model, Grab the new model in the list and drag and drop it into the other models top heirachy, once over the the section you want to drop into, hold Shift, the section will go darker, then just release the mouse button to drop it in. Once in , make sure it is highlighted, then go down to the materials section (circle that is quartered into to brown triangles, a yellow and a white) Click the drop down and choose a name from the list(the list is from the materials of the model you are adding in to.) Delete only the model info in the heirachy from the simple model you are using for it's heirachy, not the top of the heirachy and then making sure the top of the heirachy is the highlighted part, export as a .mu file.

Clear using New project option. Say no to save project as a blend etc, then import the export you just made and check that everything is as you expect. If yes the you can add a simple box collider as it is only a static, before exporting it again. Hope this helps.

sdxSvEP.pnggr5Ipil.png

Edited by ColdJ
New info

28 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

If not give me the link to the model and I will see what I can do.

does BForArtists not have Make Instances Real?

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@ColdJ

wondering if you can help.  I have a problem importing some craft files.  I'll show the problem with the stock KerbalX:

Reveal hidden contents

U1rIuSh.png

If you have Make Instances Real under Apply, under Object, that's what you want to use.

2 minutes ago, Concodroid said:

does BForArtists not have Make Instances Real?

If you have Make Instances Real under Apply, under Object, that's what you want to use.

Would love more info on what that would do to solve the parachute problem. I am self taught and only know what I have figured out through experimentation, That is why I would very much like your video with clear explanations, so that I can learn new things.

23 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This worked, Thank You!!!

Thanks to the excellent advice of @Concodroid I am going to erase and replace what I posted earlier, with pictures. I hadn't imported a craft file before and didn't know you couldn't manipulate it as a 3d model without the "Make instance real" function. As you know now, it made it easy to remove the chute. I then saved it as an .stl to simplify it as something that could be 3d printed or exported as .mu (once put in a heirachy and given a materials property) to be used as a static.

43 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This worked, Thank You!!!

Excellent!

13 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Thanks to the excellent advice of @Concodroid I am going to erase and replace what I posted earlier, with pictures. I hadn't imported a craft file before and didn't know you couldn't manipulate it as a 3d model without the "Make instance real" function. As you know now, it made it easy to remove the chute. I then saved it as an .stl to simplify it as something that could be 3d printed or exported as .mu (once put in a heirachy and given a materials property) to be used as a static.

Yeah I had that in my tutorial, it's plainly evident I need those timestamp descriptions and something else to explain what I'm doing

5 hours ago, Voyager15 said:

Any idea on the problem?

No, but you'll probably need to import it manually

Edited by Concodroid

On 11/9/2021 at 5:15 PM, Concodroid said:

No, but you'll probably need to import it manually

Importing the part manually definitely worked.

Now I've got a new, unrelated error for a different model. It doesn't seem to specify what part is not importing correctly, unless I'm not reading it correctly. Do any of you have additional ideas?

unknown.png

On 11/12/2021 at 3:25 PM, Voyager15 said:

Importing the part manually definitely worked.

Now I've got a new, unrelated error for a different model. It doesn't seem to specify what part is not importing correctly, unless I'm not reading it correctly. Do any of you have additional ideas?

unknown.png

Try restarting

3 hours ago, Voyager15 said:

I did. I'm aware that you  need to restart blender every time you import a model; however, I'm getting this error on the first time I try to import the model.

Try making sure your directory is pointed correctly, it might have been reset accidentally

1 hour ago, Concodroid said:

Try making sure your directory is pointed correctly, it might have been reset accidentally

I managed to narrow down the issue, all other models appear to import fine with the exception of the 460mm triple turret from the NAS mod.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/666415012549492788/910019095439745045/model.mu

Can't seem to figure out what is wrong. This is the only model that refuses to import at all; I've been successful importing entire craft, and when that failed I imported the craft with the mod pieces taken off and separately imported the mod part models. However, this turret here is relentless.

The error I get every time is

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute "parent'

Edit 2: Okay, so it wasn't a problem with only one part. A large volume of the big NAS turrets simply won't import... I might need to go directly to the mod maker to get those parts.

Edited by Voyager15
adding info

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, MrPoker said:

Hi my .MU file is not exporting at real size. I exported 2 format. (FBX and MU). it appears as FBX is 9MB but the MU is 289Kb. Any ideas how to fix this? 

Different file formats store data differently and may be quite different in size. The size of the .mu is not a problem, whether it loads up properly after you have saved it is the what is important.