Hello and Welcome!

Moach

Welcome to the forum, @BlueVapor1234.

The kerbal subway map is a good source of information on how much dV you will need to get to any planet or moon.  A mod that provides dV and thrust to weight information is very helpful with planning however I believe this will be stock in the next KSP update.

OK so Duna is a great place to start.  According to the map you need 6540dv to land on Duna from the surface of kerbin.  This assumes you follow standard procedures:
1.  Get to low Kerbin orbit.
2.  Depart low Kerbin orbit at the correct phase angle - this means leaving at a time when it is most efficient for a Hoffman maneuver to your destination.
3.  Once you have an intercepting course, warp time to the half way point between Kerbin and Duna.  Perform a course adjustment:
Create a maneuver node 10 or 20 minutes ahead of your vessel - just place it without changing anything.  Then click on Duna and select focus view - this will change your view to the destination and should show your plotted course in the sphere of influence of your destination.  Rotate your view until you can see both the path through the SOI and the node you just created and you can now use that node to plan and execute a burn that will bring you close to your intended orbit or even into an atmosphere for aerobraking.  The course adjustment is usually very cheap on Dv and you get savings by doing your capture burn nearer your destination planet/moon (benefiting from the Oberth effect). 

1 hour ago, James Kerman said:

Welcome to the forum, @BlueVapor1234.

The kerbal subway map is a good source of information on how much dV you will need to get to any planet or moon.  A mod that provides dV and thrust to weight information is very helpful with planning however I believe this will be stock in the next KSP update.

OK so Duna is a great place to start.  According to the map you need 6540dv to land on Duna from the surface of kerbin.  This assumes you follow standard procedures:
2.  Depart low Kerbin orbit at the correct phase angle - this means leaving at a time when it is most efficient for a Hoffman maneuver to your destination.
3.  Once you have an intercepting course, warp time to the half way point between Kerbin and Duna.  Perform a course adjustment:
Create a maneuver node 10 or 20 minutes ahead of your vessel - just place it without changing anything.  Then click on Duna and select focus view - this will change your view to the destination and should show your plotted course in the sphere of influence of your destination.  Rotate your view until you can see both the path through the SOI and the node you just created and you can now use that node to plan and execute a burn that will bring you close to your intended orbit or even into an atmosphere for aerobraking.  The course adjustment is usually very cheap on Dv and you get savings by doing your capture burn nearer your destination planet/moon (benefiting from the Oberth effect). 

Thanks! Q: How much dV do I need for getting to both Duna and Ike?

On 9/21/2018 at 4:01 AM, sturmhauke said:

If you're playing with mods, you should disable automatic game updates. Going from 1.3 to 1.4 definitely broke a lot of mods. I'm sticking with 1.4.4 for now.

Oh, thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, BlueVapor1234 said:

That happend to me before on my Xbox, have you ever expirenced a bug where Gilly becomes 8-bit and it's hitbox is all throughout it's SOI?

I've heard of similar bugs, but haven't seen them myself. I'm on PC though, which is a different codebase.

4 hours ago, BlueVapor1234 said:

Thanks! Q: How much dV do I need for getting to both Duna and Ike?

Looks to be about 700 dV to land from low Duna orbit.  I recommend an interplanetary mother ship with an ISRU lander setup to refuel - leaving the lander at the target body simplifies future missions.  Here is a mission I did using this principal in 1.3:

Edited by James Kerman
Added more info

Here is the link to the wiki if new players want some stats on the celestial bodies.

http://www.KspWiki.com

I think I got that right...

Didn't get it right. 

5 minutes ago, BlueVapor1234 said:

Here is the link to the wiki if new players want some stats on the celestial bodies.

http://www.KspWiki.com

I think I got that right...

7 minutes ago, James Kerman said:

I think the address is wrong, Mate.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Main_Page

Planet stats are also available in game through the map view or in the station by using "focus view" on the target body and clicking these icons:
p6jOmNX.png

Knew that m8.

16 hours ago, James Kerman said:

ISRU

• 3 months later...

Hello, thanks for the help I have already had.

Bit of Background:

I have been playing computer Games since 1979. So have a bit of experience. I wrote an Operating System in 1978-82. Yes it was published. No I did not make millions out of it.

Current history is I love Simulation, everything from Farming Simulator to Elite Dangerous.

But this Kerbal Space Program Takes the biscuit.

You see I am also an Amateur Astronomer. So the Physics and the Mathematics fascinate me too.

So thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Regards Lankspace AKA Stephen.

Welcome to the forum, @Lankspace.  I love the game too and it is responsible for my interest in science and spaceflight.  The forum is host to some great amateur astronomers, lots of STEM members and If you enjoy coding, the game has a vibrant modding community.  I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Allow me to welcome you to the forum again.

29 minutes ago, Lankspace said:

Kerbal Space Program Takes the biscuit.

Yes, it is truly amazing.  The learning curve is somewhat steep, however.

We have a very informed and helpful community to assist with that learning curve.

Happy landings!

3 hours ago, James Kerman said:

Welcome to the forum, @Lankspace.  I love the game too and it is responsible for my interest in science and spaceflight.  The forum is host to some great amateur astronomers, lots of STEM members and If you enjoy coding, the game has a vibrant modding community.  I'm sure you'll fit right in.

3 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Allow me to welcome you to the forum again.

Yes, it is truly amazing.  The learning curve is somewhat steep, however.

We have a very informed and helpful community to assist with that learning curve.

Happy landings!

OK Great he he.. I am sorted with "The Mun" and Minmus. Including Rovers (not Sky cranes though), but having trouble in dealing with Duna, in that designing a ship one to get there and two landing it. I was going to look at the tutorial threads. The learning curve is nothing to other stuff i get into. That is supposed to be part of the fun. I have been playing this game since January 1st. Nearly everyday for at least 6 to 8 hours a day. YES SAD ??????

Edited by Lankspace

4 hours ago, Lankspace said:

having trouble in dealing with Duna, in that designing a ship one to get there and two landing it.

In career mode I usually build a mothership/lander with ISRU for Duna.  There was a challenge a few years ago to visit Duna and Ike - you might find inspiration there.

Some tips:
You will need about 6600dv to land on Duna from the surface of kerbin.  This assumes you follow standard procedures:
You will need about 1700dv to return to Kerbin from Duna (900dv to low Duna orbit, 800dv for return flight) follow steps 1,2,3 again) if you aero brake and capture at Kerbin.

If you don't need a pinpoint landing then aero braking and aero capture will save you a lot of fuel. 
The thin atmosphere means parachutes are not as effective so I use a combination of chutes (set to open higher in the VAB) with a little bit of throttle for the last 100m of descent.
You don't need a heat shield  or ladders to land on Duna.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, finally getting around to making my first post though I’ve been reading the forums for several months now.

I’ve been playing KSP for probably over a year now, and started adding mods a few months ago which brought me here. Mods like KSPI-E and USI/MKS make for amazing gameplay but have brutal learning curves to start. So, as I mentioned, I’ve been perusing the forums looking for help, and after hundreds of pages of reading and dozens of hours of gameplay I finally feel like I have enough of a grasp of things I can start contributing to some of the threads myself.

Looking forward to joining the awesome KSP community! Thanks, and fly safe!