All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. So, they mention Uranium Flouride quenching... Would it be any better if one was using Thorium? as in a breeder reactor? Most of the fuel elements would be thorium 232, and Uranium 233 would be consumed shortly after being produced (so there is very little uranium at any given time)... could that help, or would the thorium quench just about as much as the Uranium?
  3. It doesn't automatically lead to cancer, it is still associated with cancer. To divide indefinitely, cells need to maintain their telomeres (cancer cells that don't express it use an alternate route to maintain telomere length). To become cancerous, cells must develop a way to grow without being given the signal to, ignore signals to stop growth, and maintain their telomere length. By stopping the production of telomerase, cells have a limited time to accumulate all the needed mutations. Extending telomeres extends the time the cell has to accumulate all the needed mutations. Thus, indirectly, lengthening telomeres increases the chances of a cell becoming cancerous, simply because it has more time to become cancerous. Luckily many mutations that lead to cancer also make an embryo non viable, so there's a lot of selection before one is born. Also, one has to keep in mind the total cell number. More cells means more chances for bad stuff to happen, so it makes sense that evolution would limit the number of cells that automatically maintain telomere length. There is clearly potential, and the enzyme is known, but you don't want it to be delivered to cells with defective copies of oncogenes/tumor suppressor genes. If we were doing personalized medicine/ you had a very low incidence of cancer in your family, you may want telomerase in your somatic cells. If cells aren't dividing (or aren't dividing much), telomeres don't shorten. If the cell can clearly be recognized as being out of place, the immune system can kill it even if it would otherwise be cancerous (which is why cancer is usually not transmissible, except in cases where genetic diversity is very low, as in threatened species, or species that have been through a bottleneck: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_transmissible_venereal_tumor https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_facial_tumour_disease) this may be why testicular cancer is not sooo common. But I can virtually guarantee that if a drug were to come out, that wasn't carefully controlled (starting with genetic testing), it would increase the cancer incidence in those taking it, and it would be pulled from the market. For my master's project, I made a series of viruses which had a viral promoter replaced with the human hTERT promoter. Thus if the cell was not making transcription factors that would transcribe the hTERT gene in the cell, the viral genes would not be transcribed either (and the transcription factor that the virus encoded doesn't work with its own promoter). Thus the virus would not replicate in most somatic cells. Of course, you don't want a virus that kills stem and germline cells either... so you replace another viral promoter with a human promoter that is active in differentiated cells (not stem cells)... in my case this was done by a master student before me, and the promoter was Tyrosine, which is highly active in melanoma cells (Tyrosinase: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrosinase ) and is involved in the production of melanin. Stem cells don't produce melanin, that is a marker of differentiated cells. On top of that, the Ad5 virus normally produces an anti-apoptotic protein to stop the cell from dying due to apoptosis (from an internal or external trigger in response to infection) - cancer cells already have defective apoptosis mechanisms... so the virus won't reproduce unless it finds cells with a defective apoptosis mechanism, that express high levels of tyrosinase (ie, make a lot of melanin), and high levels of telomerase... the idea was that any cell fitting those conditions would be cancerous (stem cells, even adult stem cells should have working apoptosis mechanisms, and shouldn't be producing tyrosinase until they've differentiated and stopped producing hTERT). Of course... the project was purely academic... injecting live virus into people also faces an uphill battle against regulatory authorities... because of cases like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Gelsinger as well as this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-linked_severe_combined_immunodeficiency#Treatments If i recall correctly in that study though, they used Gamma-retroviruses, which were later shown to have a higher than normal propensity for integrating in spots that cause cancer (lentiviruses have been shown not to have this propensity, and using TALENs or ZFNs, or maybe CRISPR too, should allow one to choose the site of insertion). I currently work in pharmacovigilance... and I think the regulators are way too cautious and conservative, its holding progress back. Even that study where 3 of the children died, 9 out of 10 were cured for a severe genetic disease (although not lethal). To me that would be worth it, especially if it was changed from a gammaretrovirus to a lentivirus, and then from there we could move to targetted integration sites (review: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4866806/ , another article... so many to choose from http://www.bloodjournal.org/content/117/20/5332?sso-checked=true ...not statements such as " γRV-mediated insertional mutagenesis" refer to GammaRetroVirus-mediated mutatgenesis) The adenoviruses I made were very specific against cancer cells (tissue culture in the lab, controls were cultured embryonic stem cells, and differentiated human fibroblasts taken from the nearby university hospital, who got them from... *ahem* human foreskins after circumcision *ahem*). Of course... adenoviruses are quite weak, and the immune system would respond and neutralize subsequent treatments (the immune system could be temporarily suppressed), and there's always a risk of a more severe than usual allergic reaction... but there is so much potential being held back because a negative reaction that occurs in 1 out of a thousand people will lead to hundreds of thousands of people having negative reactions... So I suspect any hTERT therapy will be likewise held back given the seemingly weak nature of the effect (since there are conflicting studies), the very long clinical trials needed to see a benefit (you'd have a hard time proving your drug has a therapeutic effect, and getting approval before the patent expires), and the significant expected risk of higher cancer incidence. On so many issues, we have a social apparatus that isn't well suited to the real world.
  4. Citizen247

MAD - Aerospace Parts (v0.6) KSP 1.4.5

It will as and when I have available time to do so. At the moment I'm working on a major overhaul of another mod, and 1.7 has only just been released. I've tested the parts in a clean install of 1.7 just now, and they loaded and worked fine as far as I can see. What's the problem you're having?
  5. Today
  6. I'll have the new version ready until the end of this week. I had a lot of RL things on my plate lately.
  7. has anyone been able to test if this current version works with 1.7.0?
  8. @TheRandomGuy1029 Which planes are you entering into the competition? You can submit more than one if you want, but it seems you have withdrawn a couple and I'm not sure which ones you want in.
  9. vardicd

Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Ah that would explain things, I don't use that mod pack. Thanks for the answer.
  10. So sorry and I can only commiserate from afar. That must have been incredibly frustrating to discover...that sinking feeling when you realize stuff's vanished. I'm glad you won't just give up and we'll see the rebuilt parts when you can get to it.
  11. Paul Kingtiger

They are primarily designed for the Bluedog Design Bureau Gemini parts. There is a 1.875m cylindrical fairing coming in a future release which will support the 5 bay core.
  12. Poodmund

@Daishi this sounds exactly like what happened on stream the other day where my Scientist could not even activate the materials bay after it had been used twice.
  13. An HDD as a drive to boot from? You should rather look for a SATA SSD like a Samsung 860 EVO (not QVO) or Crucial MX500.
  14. strudo76

[1.5.1, 1.4.5, 1.3.1] RemoteTech v1.9.0 [2018-10-29]

No version shows up in CKAN for 1.6.1 either. Only if 1.6 is manually specified does it appear. Is this expected behaviour within CKAN?
  15. I have downloaded the latest version. It took me about 15min for the 7MB to download (I have a 50MB/s connection). CKAN ran for about another 15min for downloading the repository. Are there issues with traffic?
  16. @linuxgurugamer So, I just upgraded KSP to 1.7. Just downloaded the latest version of KCT and installed it and I'm getting an endless scrolling of this: It's firing every second or so, causing a very noticeable stuttering in the VAB. https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7jk0gifiqldch9/output_log KCT Handling Error.txt?dl=0 EDIT: KCT is not the only thing causing stuttering. removing KCT has reduced the stutter, but now I'm looking for another mod contributing to stuttering. EDIT2: Previous version of KCT still seems to run in KSP 1.7 and doesn't seem to cause issue, should anyone have the issue I'm having above, and wish to roll back. EDIT3: Further testing has shown that I'm not getting the above error from KCT version 1.4.6.4 {latest version for 1.7KSP}. I thought I had tracked the stuttering issue to the scrapyard mod, as once I removed it, all stutter ended, but when I tried a clean install with just that, I got no stutter, so I started adding mods back in, and when I added the latest version of KCT back in I still had no stutter, and no scrolling handleEditorButton/attempting to take control of launch button error. There is apparently some other 3rd mod that is setting up a weird reaction between KCT, scrapyard, and itself, when all 3 are installed together. I am attempting to isolate the 3rd mod now, but it's slow going.
  17. LordFerret

What have you been playing recently? (Other than KSP)

You can reconfigure the keyboard so that thrusters are much like, say, docking in KSP. Same with ship attitude control keys. As for main power in general, I have 4 keys set; throttle up and down, 100% and 0%. Works for me. Kinda set for the rover as well (I have the Horizons version of the game, a must if you ask me), two-handed operation. I have a joystick, but I've not attempted to map it yet (it's an old Logitec Wingman Extreme, from back in my FS and Falcon days). The latest update now has an entire area set up to be more 'friendly' for beginners, with additional help and instruction to get you started. I've not been there yet, I'm currently out and about near Groombridge 34. Maybe tomorrow. I'll confess, I play the game on two laptops. One is for the game itself, my high-end laptop... I originally got it just for KSP. The other is one of my older AMD (Linux Mint) laptops with LibreOffice, which I use to keep track of my mission status and miscellaneous game pertinent data (like black hole locations I've run across **), and a spreadsheet which is a duplicate of the in-game keyboard settings key mappings which is a big help. I also have Firefox on it with links to the ED forums and Wiki, but more importantly to EDDB (Elite Dangerous Database) and EDSM (Elite Dangerous Star Map)... these are two sites you'll want handy once you really get moving with the game. ** I'm wanting to go revisit these to see if they've incorporated the new 'discovery' of what they look like, to see if they've adapted the visual representation. Tomorrow for sure!
  18. KerbolExplorer

Make a fake KSP mod.

You deserve an award
  19. KerbolExplorer

Dumb ways to die (KSP Edition)

Tauting the magic boulder
  20. Pds314

Climbing Keverest

Lat: 61.5784 Lon: 46.3733 It is 6761 meters high. Yes. Just no rockets/jets/ions/props/ladder drives/kraken drives. At least not for propulsion or sticking to walls. If you want a jet with the exhuast obstructed as an alternator then that's fine.
  21. hraban

[1.7.x] CSA Contares 'CORE' 2.0.11

@zeant93, when the mod Contares reached the KSP version compatibility 1.3.1 RO bummed around on 1.x yet. By the way, it is helpful to read the OP page because it says so: This could be a discreet indication of an incompatibility with RSS? For both Mods, RO (Realism Overhaul) and RSS (Real Solar System) extensive adjustments would be necessary which are not planned by my side. So the equation remains the same: RSS/RO = NO Limited use of components using Mod TweakScale may be possible but it's untested. As one of my lecturers said more than 30 years ago: "Try it, it can be wrong at most".
  22. FahmiRBLXian

How long will we go?

23. LogConsole v1.1 (April 23rd, 2019): [Enhancement] Show quick filter string in the dialog title. [Change] KSP 1.7 compatibility.
  24. I made a crappy copy of it. Needs work obviously, but I think over a short run It's too fiddly to be worth it. By the time you get it running at optimal blade pitch etc. you need to land and turn around.
  25. Sebastiaz

KSP Military Mega Thread

@Lo Var Lachland B9 Procedural wings lets you change colour/opacity of the wings. ^^
  26. Jack Joseph Kerman

What feature do you want for 1.8?

To get around this problem, maybe have a setting on the module to deactivate during time warp, similar to having probe cores hibernate during warp. Once you come out of warp, the modules would start generating heat again using lots of electricity and gradually your craft would warm back up to nominal temperatures, meaning the game doesn’t have to passively manage heat at all times during flight.
  1. Load more activity