Devnote Tuesday: It’s All In The Details

SQUAD

Wow... I wish that I could have an avator as cool as the 1s that the mods have...

Also about the

, im kind of worried that it wont feel right. 2 make sure that everything goes good, have some relistic lense flares that get brighter when the camera shakes mor. also, you should have some
that play when the camera shaking.

thx, and dont forget 2 subscribe:sticktongue::sticktongue::sticktongue::sticktongue::sticktongue:

<figure data-orig-width="480" data-orig-height="92" class="tmblr-full">...but that’s just peanuts to the aero overhaul.

</figure>

That doesn't make too much sense. The aero overhaul might as well also be a peanut..compared to another peanut. Or it can be a penny, which is genuinely smaller than the peanut. Sorry.

<p><b>Mike (Mu): </b>Another fun week of bugs and balancing. Have put a lot more work into the aero/thermal side of things plus fixed a load more issues besides. </p>

This is really the thing I am most interested in. Fixes. Sadly it's also the least discussed part of any update, outside of HarvesteR occasionally expanding on a topic.

Yes it might sound dull, in some ways it is dull. It's also equally exciting, rather critical and is also the single biggest factor (having the most direct impact) on my enjoyment of KSP.

There is a mod for almost anything. But fixing core issues? There's only so much that can be done. Aerodynamics and engine changes are great. As are other features. Some quite welcome and arguably well overdue. And that's awesome. Really awesome.

But at this point? Honestly? It's all about the fixes.

Edited by kofeyh

That doesn't make too much sense. The aero overhaul might as well also be a peanut..compared to another peanut. Or it can be a penny, which is genuinely smaller than the peanut. Sorry.

You tried to trick me into thinking that you had never read Hitchhiker's, but I won't fall for your April Fools joke.

Awesome, I myself some Dev Notes! :D

I'm a bit concerned about the camera shake. Will that be IVA only? Because I will not approve if the shake extends to the external view.

I think it will be like the kerbquake mode that's only active in IVA if you want to know what it might be like look up the kerbquake mod.

- - - Updated - - -

The kerbals cost money to hire is amazing and the shaking camera is awsome but on thing I need so bad like right now! In science mode to have the xp sytem please

Shaking virtual point of views makes no sense. Hearing engine sounds in space is already bad enough.

Do we really need the game to feel more arcade style?

And yet, every astronaut that has ever flown has heard the sound of the engines in his ship and has been shaked by them, sometimes quite vigorously. Curious, huh?

Related to this, it would be a great win for usability if the right-click menus in the flight scene were decoupled from the craft position so that they stayed stable on screen. Currently, menus can be very difficult to click if the craft is spinning (or the screen is shaking). Make the menus draggable and connect them to the part with a line instead.

Not that I would be against a fix such as this, but right now you can make things MUCH easier by going into chase cam. That will lock the cam to the ship, and then the thing that is moving around is the scenery, not the ship's parts. Helps a lot when you start fiddling with thrust limiters to control a rocket, for example.

Rune. I can't even remember right now... do you hear engines from other ships in space? That's what should be fixed, if anything.

I can't even remember right now... do you hear engines from other ships in space? That's what should be fixed, if anything.

You do. You also hear explosions that are not on your current vessel.

Frankly I don't see the fuss. How many TV shows and movies shake the camera during earthquakes or whatnot to give the viewer the feeling that they're in the situation? This is exactly the same thing.

This was pretty neat. Just make sure the shaky camera is toggleable, I'm certain many people will disagree with it.

I REALLY LIKE THE IDEA OF A SHAKING CAMERA, BUT SO MANY PEOPLE ARE MEAN JERKS THAT IT NEEDS TO BE TOGGLEABLE.

Indeed! When I'm analyzing engine vibrations, I need a stable camera!

And lastly, this is something that I’m still working on today, I’m adding a camera wobble system, to allow cameras to shake and vibrate in response to external forces.

Related to this, it would be a great win for usability if the right-click menus in the flight scene were decoupled from the craft position so that they stayed stable on screen. Currently, menus can be very difficult to click if the craft is spinning (or the screen is shaking). Make the menus draggable and connect them to the part with a line instead.

what about accessing all the crafts tweakables via a drop-down menu in the UI? group parts by type. engines, solar panels, chutes etc.

could be very useful during excessive shaking or when tumbling out of control. :D

I fixed some shots of the smoke simulation, when I started to do some render tests I realized it looked weird on some frames but I fixed that and I’m working on the scene lights, I think that should be done by the end of this week, and then the compositing and FX part will consume the art department resources.

*sigh*

Edited by Capt Snuggler

Sorry if I missed an explanation of this, but does the increased hiring cost apply if your Kerbals are on missions? For example is it the same if you have 20 Kerbals sitting in the space centre as if you have 20 in a Mun base? Cheers,

Cas.

LOL so much of this! Squad we really don't care about some 10 second, forgettable video. Put the art department to better use, you know, on the game maybe.

:rolleyes:

Sorry, but i really care about some 10 second, quite nice video. Thanks to the art department for working on the game as a matter fact. There *are* things i dont care about, but i wouldnt risk a infraction by naming and shaming them :)

You do. You also hear explosions that are not on your current vessel.

Frankly I don't see the fuss. How many TV shows and movies shake the camera during earthquakes or whatnot to give the viewer the feeling that they're in the situation? This is exactly the same thing.

Thanks for the clarification, if I had thought about explosions, I probably could have answered myself, those I regularly create :)

And yeah, no biggie if the rest of sci-fi is the same. But still, it would be a nice little touch, hearing only the sounds being made by the active vessel.

Rune. One can dream right? I bet it wouldn't even be hard to code!

Sorry if I missed an explanation of this, but does the increased hiring cost apply if your Kerbals are on missions? For example is it the same if you have 20 Kerbals sitting in the space centre as if you have 20 in a Mun base? Cheers,

The way it's written it's purely based on the current size of your kerbalnaut korps. Whether they are on active duty braving the hell of Moho, or playing cards at the KSC.

Told you this before - those videos aren't for us who are playing the game now (though they are fun to watch), it's marketing to people who aren't yet.

My point is that they are short staffed as it is and I just believe that their limited time would be better spent on improving the actual game.

Just my humble opinion.

nice to see that camera shake will be in the stock game :)

adjustable intensity of the shake does sound really good, let the player decide how much they want in game. Good for accessibility for those who have vertigo or similar, too.

COMMMMMMMIIIIIIIIIIIC SAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

Love the camera shake plan, and im really liking the new features like aero and fairings! Good work Squad!

(And good on the mods for the epic prank. Nice Icon, Sumghai :3)

Edited by Deathsoul097

(I like my avatar so I will keep it - its like an eternal april fool)

I still am very very tired of the entire system of Kerbal cost and experience which is just as realistic as the current aero model - actually I'm also tired of raising it as a point since it does't seem to get noticed at all.

Other than that, I am pleased with the apparent progress going on - although I would greatly appreciate more details on the specific bugs which are being squashed.

Also, Kerbonauts now cost Funds to hire. The cost of hiring more crews increases for each additional crew member in your active roster, that is, hiring your 30th Kerbal is much more expensive than hiring your 5th one. This cost increases based on your current active crew count. That means, for instance, that going through 100 Kerbals would be far less expensive than having a roster with a hundred active ones.

This seems a bit backwards.

Wouldn't it become harder to hire kerbals you kept killing them, or To a lesser extent, firing them?

I guess this is supposed to simulate how the larger you payroll gets, the more you will be spending on wages.

But it doesn't quite make sense, kerbals are only getting paid when another gets hired?

Wouldn't it make more sense to represent kerbal wages by subtracting a tiny amount from your funds every so often?

At the moment, there's not a lot of need to hire more kerbals, so it seems strange to add this disincentive.

Told you this before - those videos aren't for us who are playing the game now (though they are fun to watch), it's marketing to people who aren't yet.

so when all those people do start playing they will be accustomed to a level of detail and visual fidelity that is not present in the game... cue disappointment.

Why not make the video with 90% in-game footage. Like how Nassault does it. If in-game visuals are not up to scratch, then improve them until they are.

why use resources on a task with such limited return on investment???

Edited by Capt Snuggler

And lastly, this is something that I’m still working on today, I’m adding a camera wobble system, to allow cameras to shake and vibrate in response to external forces. Currently I already have implemented effects when pulling high Gs, when rolling over the ground, and when intense aerodynamic effects are acting on the vessel. there are still a few other causes which I hope to implement, but even now this system already promises to be a significant enhancement to how flying feels.

Please, as has been already asked by many, make this toggleable. Or better yet give us an intensity slider in the settings with "none/off" at one extreme.

Please, as has been already asked by many, make this toggleable. Or better yet give us an intensity slider in the settings with "none/off" at one extreme.

If you've seen that it's been asked by many, you should have also seen that there's a reply in this thread that does, indeed, indicate a slider is going to be provided. (#34)

why use resources on a task with such limited return on investment???

I would presume that they don't think the return is poor enough to justify stopping. Or more accurately, it's strong enough to keep it up.

I don't work in Marketing, so I'll defer to those who have a closer relationship to people who do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.