Squadcast Summary (2015-05-02) - 1.0 Outbound Edition!

Hullo everyone, and here's the summary for Squadcast 05/02/2015. Sorry for spelling mistakes, I'm a terrible transcriber. I try and clarify what is an actual quote from Max (if it's wrapped in "quotation marks", it's the best transcript of an official Squad member you'll find on the web), and what is a summary from myself as I'm aware I switch between the two with 0 notice. When I say 'Squad', I mean 'the relevant people who are currently developing the game'. As always, this is just a transcript of an off the cuff vlog of a non-native english speaker - some details may change or be entirely incorrect. Some mentions of 1.0.1 have already been noted in the patch notes, I know this - this is summarizing the Squadcast ;)

Squadcast Summary for 2015-05-02 - Watch it here!

Monday morning, Max is picking Romfarer from the airport, then later, Kasper and Mike - they'll be planning the year for KSP and having a general vacation. Also, skydiving.

"OMG we're out.. I don't know what to say, except I'm completely exhausted in every way..." - everyone at Squad is super pleased at the 1.0 release of KSP, but it's also been a tough week on them. Max is amazed at the PCGamer review - 2 points behind HL2! Incredible stuff.

Updates 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 added a part and a few bugfixes/rebalances. 'Chute drag has been tweaked in 1.0.1 so they're not so OP. Deploying them early will now actually make them ignite so watch your re-entry corridor!

Up until 1.0, not a dime was spent on marketing but with 1.0, they did a bit advertising on Youtube but had a few requirements - the youtuber had to be themselves (just do whatever, bugs and all), and had to include a paid-for disclaimer.

Twitch chat asks about drills and heating... why no radiator part? Max: "...that would have been more complex, for now tied to engineer skills... not 100% sure it will stay that way, but for now we think we're OK." Max seems to be describing how it is in the patch today, heating problems are gone, and engineer skill affects the drilling yield. So, Max implies that they are OK with the change, but, leaves open the possibility of looking at the heating idea, later. (thanks @basic.syntax for this bit)

Old gravity turn (45@10k) really doesn't work, what is needed is a gentler turn earlier. Really does help.

KSP 1.1 news! Some things Squad can't share, but at the moment, updating to Unity 5, x64 support, more info next week. Has U5 been tried? Yes, it shows cool stuff, but more thought and effort is needed to give the KSP community what they deserve. Preliminary testing shows promise though. ÃŽâ€V display that was promised will probably be available in 1.1. Aerodynamic overlay too - it turned out be very easy to add on to and ended up eating a lot more of Squads time than desired.

1.0 was held back almost a month or so - it got to the point where Squad were like 'yeah, we should probably release this...'

Next week, keep an eye on the social media - lots of news and discussions about the future of KSP.

And that concludes Squadcast 02/05/15, see y'all later!

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Up until 1.0, not a dime was spent on marketing but with 1.0, they did a bit advertising on Youtube but had a few requirements - the youtuber had to be themselves (just do whatever, bugs and all), and had to include a paid-for disclaimer.

And they chose Pewdiepie.

Monday morning, Max is picking Romfarer from the airport, then later, Kasper and Mike - they'll be planning the year for KSP and having a general vacation. Also, skydiving.

*glare* so the forum moderators can work while you jump out of planes?! I see how it is.

(Just kidding, of course. Have fun!)

U5, huh. x64, huh. Personally, it's just what I expected for a 1.1 release, but I was hoping for a word on multiplayer. Oh well.

Edit : Actually, Half Life 2 got a 96 as well, which means that PCGamer thinks 1.0 is on par with HL2. Wow.

Edited by DuoDex

I missed it tonight, got too busy playing and forgot lol. Thanks OWK.

Same.

1.0 really sucked me in. It's a good update and it deserves all those points from the review.

Glad to see dV readout is coming.

Squadcast Summary for 2015-05-02 - Watch it here!

Make sure to use RealChute when you skydive.

Interesting.

Adding a radiator part may be a little complex for the moment, overheating may be something that's attached to engineers, don't know yet.

Please don't tie overheating to engineers, unless the engineers have a special biological adaptation that allows them to magically absorb heat, it should not be done.

Old gravity turn (45@10k) really doesn't work, what is needed is a gentler turn earlier. Really does help.

They need to post this in the announcement section, like this, 45@10k NO LONGER WORKS.

KSP 1.1 news! Some things Squad can't share, but at the moment, updating to Unity 5, x64 support, more info next week. Has U5 been tried? Yes, it shows cool stuff, but more deeperness is needed to show the KSP community what they deserve. Preliminary testing shows promise though. ÃŽâ€V display that was promised will probably be available in 1.1. Aerodynamic overlay too- it turned out be very easy to add on to and ended up eating a lot more of Squads time than desired.

We already have x64, you just have to have linux. U5 will be cool though.

1.0 was held back almost a month or so - it got to the point where Squad were like 'yeah, we should probably release this...'

Next week, keep an eye on the social media - lots of news and discussions about the future of KSP.

And that concludes Squadcast 02/05/15, see y'all later!

Still wish they would have delayed, but no matter. Will keep an eye on social media.

Adding a radiator part may be a little complex for the moment, overheating may be something that's attached to engineers, don't know yet.

A thousand times no. Engineers are apparently already completely overpowered, and making ISRU conversion outright require Kerbals on-vessel is ludicrous.

Of all people, why Pewdiepie?

This is why:

0tEdLHp.png

36 million subs, already 3 million views.

I mean, I'd rather eat sand that watch him, but if you want to bounce your <insert whatever here> off of as many eyeballs on Youtube as you can, that is probably the way to do it.

Engineers improving the laws of thermodynamics? No thank you.

Repair a part that is borked due overheating? Yes. He can stand by and repair when required. Yes. Give me a radiator and he can install it? Yes.

Better add a new class of kerbal instead, call them MAGICIANS. But please let me fire them in the astro complex the minute they appear in a cloud of smoke and a drum roll. I'd like a long Shepard hook to come in from stage left...

Edited by Wallygator

Ugh, not this crap again.

How many times do they need telling? No means NO.

Ever get the impression that they're not sure what to do with these kerbal classes?

Oh boy, not this again. Are engineers somehow able to change the laws of thermodynamics? And why is adding a radiator complex when adding the heat system isn't? Color me confused.

I kept hitting refresh to look for OWK summary, I missed it and wondered what Max had said... started to think OWK had taken this one off, so, I booted up the twitch archive a couple hours ago, started taking notes. And OWK was here, all along. I should have just clicked his name somewhere for latest posts, lol. I can offer a 2nd PoV and a couple extra quotes for you guys.

I think folks are getting the wrong impression about the drills and engineer skills. I don't know if OWK heard or meant it that way... its not what I heard in my viewing.

Question about drills and heating... why no radiator part?

Max:
...that would have been more complex, for now tied to engineer skills... not 100% sure it will stay that way, but for now we think we're OK.

Max seems to be describing how it is in the patch today, heating problems are gone, and engineer skill affects the drilling yield.

So, Max implies that they are OK with the change, but, leaves open the possibility of looking at the heating idea, later.

Here is some excruciating detail on Max's 3rd launch, because some great jokes came out of it:

3rd launch is going for a speed or distance record, using a liquid engine and stack of 8 FL-100's under the capsule.

It didn't go so well. Max began a gentle gravity turn at 8000m, "It's not like we'll get an orbit, but may as well try to get as far as we can"

When he hit 10,000m an old habit kicked in, he pushed it over some more, a bit too hard this time, and suddenly the rocket tumbled end over end.

"Fins! Why didn't I get Fins?!" Rough explanation about why the old 10K turn doesn't work anymore.

Parachute deployed around 6000m ... hopes to recover to try again. Water landing coming up.

A single parachute wasn't enough for the weight... whole rocket hit the water around 35 m/s, and vaporized.

Max was shocked. But he recovered composure, and went back to the VAB.

No more Jeb. Val, you're up next... Because... no reverts!

Rechecking the same design for the next attempt, he noticed a very important part was missing: no stack decoupler under the capsule.

I'm not describing the 4th launch. It ended better... Val survived.

Max reads Twitch chat: "You might be a good game designer, but you suck at engineering!"

Max response: "I'm not even a good game designer... I'm the PRODUCER!"

Kofeyh on Twitch chat: "Max is being efficient: he's already murdered Jeb, to ensure he can't murder him in the future."

Max: "Kofeyh is just full of wisdom as usual. Kofeyh has caffeine and wisdom to spare."

Unity 5

We have tried Unity 5, our experimentation so far shows cool stuff, but we need to ... dig waaay deeper before we can actually say 'yeah, this works great.' So for now, (your) optimism might be a huge boost... might be a tiny, tiny boost - we're still gonna give it our absolute best! Because that's what you guys, as a community deserve.

Aero overlay

... we couldn't get it done in time. We did a bunch of design passes on it, and it seemed like the kind of feature that the more work we put in it, the more work it would allow us to put into it... so... the aerodynamic overlay will definitely be coming in 1.1. As will the Tier 0 buildings.

Maxmaps is very happy with 1.0 changes to "World's First" contracts.

I'm so glad we did that. It takes so much grind out of career mode.

Yeah, efficiently controlling the drill based on experience actually makes sense, too. Especially since this is supposed high performance equipment that can extract enough material to fill fuel tanks. Anyone else thinking of Armageddon?^^'

Guys, come on. You can hate Pewdiepie (I don't watch him myself but save hate for people who have actually done me wrong) all you want but do you really think their money could have been better spent on someone who won't generate 2 million views in a weekend?

That's like saying "Don't advertise on this billboard next to the major highway. Spray paint your ad on this alley wall. The highway's full of posers."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.