Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

Ooh what are (All) or some the reasons people can get banned for... just curious... I've seen some banned accounts. Does that mean temporary or permanent?

Hopefully asking this isn't against the rules if so... sorry, theres always a delete

Edited by ghostbuzzer7

Ooh what are (All) the reasons people can get banned for... just curious... I've seen some banned accounts. Does that mean temporary or permanent?

Hopefully asking this isn't against the rules if so... sorry, theres always a delete

Pretty much any of the community rules can get you banned if you try hard enough. And you do have to try, by being repetitive and ignoring moderation attempts. (Unless you are a spammer or a duplicate account, those are not tolerated at all.)

There is no way for regular users to see if a user is banned temporarily or permanently, I'm afraid.

I'd like to add that bans are pretty rare on the forums. I don't have an up-to-date count but earlier this year I cleaned the banlist (removing the spam accounts from it etc..) and we had 60-some permanent bans for real people in total. Currently there's one temporary ban active.

I'm imagining one of you waking up to find the severed cockpit of a prized replica in your bed next to you :shudders:

Or the ripped-up print-out of a certain comic? ;)

Also, I think this got missed:

I just joined the wiki! Is my obsessive adding of links to the Kerbal Astronomical Society okay? Thanks!

Has a moderator ever banned someone by accident when intending to click something else?

It's not that easy, the controls for banning are separate from the others so you cant accidentally ban someone, though any member who racks up more than 100 active infraction points will be automatically banned while the total exceeds 100.

It's not that easy, the controls for banning are separate from the others so you cant accidentally ban someone, though any member who racks up more than 100 active infraction points will be automatically banned while the total exceeds 100.

But infractions are 1 point no? If yes, 100 of them seems too hard to achieve...

It's a sign-off, a personal signature, an expression of personality, a way to make people remember, hey, someone typed that. That's what it is to me anyways. I frequently use it in PMs, not as much on the forum, unless I'm the OP.

Which is stupid, because everybody already has a signature, it's called the signature.

And it's right down there

|

|

V

Which is stupid, because everybody already has a signature, it's called the signature.

And it's right down there

|

|

V

Stupid? :/

Its a personal signature. One that is typed every single post. Not something you type once and its always there, automatically. It's like signing the bottom of a letter. Usually you don't stamp a preset signature onto a letter, or anything you've written. And if you do use a stamp, usually you sign anyways.

Stupid? :/

Its a personal signature. One that is typed every single post. Not something you type once and its always there, automatically. It's like signing the bottom of a letter. Usually you don't stamp a preset signature onto a letter, or anything you've written. And if you do use a stamp, usually you sign anyways.

"Stupid" is a harsh way to put it, but it is jarring and I personally don't like it. It goes against common Internet convention.

5thHorseman and I really hate it when people do this.

But infractions are 1 point no? If yes, 100 of them seems too hard to achieve...

sXgKMRC.png

I'm not a mod, I just hacked the entire forum, banned everyone except myself, and took this screenshot. [/JOKE] ;)

P.S. This is techinicalfools screenshot.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

http://i.imgur.com/sXgKMRC.png

I'm not a mod, I just hacked the entire forum, banned everyone except myself, and took this screenshot. [/JOKE] ;)

P.S. This is techinicalfools screenshot.

Wait, how is the last sentence showing up in my quote, but not when i highlight the post?

Also, Sign me up for all of the above, please! ;):D Points are good!

Often users are asked, or if our numbers are down an application might be posted.

Aussi, j'entends que si vous parlez une langue étrangère...:)

Eh bien, il fait son refroidisseur (Je parle un peu francais)

Et frenum of Latin (

ובעברית)

je voudrais être un mod à un certain poin

Edited by CommanderSpock

Wait, how is the last sentence showing up in my quote, but not when i highlight the post?

Also, Sign me up for all of the above, please! ;):D Points are good!

Magic. Forum magic! No, actually, I edited my post, and the quote thing updates to the edited version, but not the post itself, until you reload the page.