Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

28 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Well, the Ubuntu font has it's distinctive Us and Ns, which the font on the forums has.

I typed my reply on TNR. The lowercase "N"s and "U"s look exactly the same.

The forum probably converted your font into the next closest thing.

10 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

Why do posts get removed randomly? Most of the time, they don't seem to be rule-breaking, and in my most recent OP, the post that got deleted didn't really cause any problems. I wonder why. Can you guys at least explain why so it's just not so random?

We like to stir things up now and then by removing random content from the forum to see how people react.

I'm joking, of course :). The moderator will normally inform the poster of the reason why it was removed. You are always welcome to send one of us a PM if you disagree with one of your own posts being removed or if you would like some more information about why it happened. If it's someone else's post, though, we probably won't be able to answer because of confidentiality. 

We try and be as transparent and fair as possible, but we're only human (most of us... there's also a banana on the team) and we can make mistakes.

2 hours ago, Deddly said:

I'm joking, of course :). The moderator will normally inform the poster of the reason why it was removed.

I'll also add it's usually never a decision by a single mod - unless, perhaps, one of the seniors, but even then I think it usually isn't. We discuss these among ourselves before taking action.

On December 6, 2016 at 5:13 PM, TheKosanianMethod said:

What is the most interesting thing you have learned from this forum?

I can't think of something very specific, but something that definitively surprised me is the amount of spambots: they're more frequent than you might think.

(I'm not saying that there's a new bot every days or weeks, just that there's more bots than I thought before I joined the moderation team).

14 hours ago, goldenpeach said:

(I'm not saying that there's a new bot every days or weeks, just that there's more bots than I thought before I joined the moderation team).

I ban at least 2 everyday, sometimes a bit more.

55 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

What types of names do spambots have? I know you're not allowed to discuss who's been banned or not, even if they are a bot, but can you give me an idea?

Hard to tell just by the name, same as with a regular user: sometimes makes sense, other times it's just just random stuff like letters in different capitalization followed by some numbers.. oh.

23 minutes ago, monstah said:

Hard to tell just by the name, same as with a regular user: sometimes makes sense, other times it's just just random stuff like letters in different capitalization followed by some numbers.. oh.

No, you couldn't, because the COM would be outside the footprint.

The footprint is all the area in contact with the ground normal to the planet's COM. With a vertical wall, you have no footprint, because the wall itself is normal to the planet's COM. The only way to stick to a truly vertical wall is through adhesion, powered or otherwise.

30 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

No, you couldn't, because the COM would be outside the footprint.

The footprint is all the area in contact with the ground normal to the planet's COM. With a vertical wall, you have no footprint, because the wall itself is normal to the planet's COM. The only way to stick to a truly vertical wall is through adhesion, powered or otherwise.

Eh. Wrong thread, buddy?

...or just trolling me, didn't check on the link :wink: Good one, tho they can actually be more believable.

Edited by monstah

3 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Is there a way that an edit function could be added to the "status updates" section? Currently, if one makes a mistake, as I often do, I have to copy the old post, delete it, then paste and correct...

Can we please have an easier way?

Not supported by the software currently, unfortunately. Sorry.

13 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Most are fake people names, some are company names, and some are gibberish. 

Thank you.

13 hours ago, Frybert said:

'Red' 'Iron' and 'Crown' tend to show up quite a bit.

Well, that would explain the ridiculously high post count. Must be some really good software if it has over 10k rep!

On 11/24/2016 at 7:28 AM, Red Iron Crown said:

Pro moderators moderate in bulk.

3 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

It's all part of my secret plan: Build trust for 15000 posts, then bulk edit all of them to an advertisement for movers in Bangalore (Best prices for moving in Bangalore!!)

You've got this thing about bulk things, don'tcha?

Also, I now know what the April Fools prank will be.

Edited by Dman979

A few questions...

1. What's the largest thread that has even been locked?
  2. How does one become a moderator? (Just wondering, but I'm fine being a regular forum user for now :wink:)
  3. What does it take to get 5 dots?
  4. What is the cube root of 4-3 x 15.55515?