[1.0.4] Maritime Pack - 0.1.4

Fengist

On 2/8/2016 at 4:43 AM, Beowolf said:

And how many decades have you spent as a professional fulltime developer?

Two.

It made my head spin that you posted a link to one of Torvalds profanity-laced meltdowns as an example in a discussion of professional standards.

I didn't link to it as an example of professional standards, I linked to it as an example of software architecture principles. Whether or not he's pleasant is not relevant to whether or not he's correct.

Edited by allmhuran

yeah... I increased the mass to about 15 Tons per hull section... Everything works perfectly now. little bit of an issue with the  ramp hull.. but  otherwise it works fine!

Edited by Hellbrand

On 2/18/2016 at 11:21 PM, Penkover said:

Isnt the aircraft carriers too small ?

I cant land on it , only with hyperedit.

I have a full size carrier in development but KSP's bbuoyancy physics keep bouncing it 20km in the air.

Edit: I recently discovered it is a collider logic issue.

Edited by Eskandare

On 1/31/2016 at 8:42 PM, Beowolf said:

The lesson you need to take away from this experience is you perhaps aren't meant to be a developer. That's not intended as an insult; simply a statement of fact that you don't have the temperament for this role just like I don't have the temperament to be an investment banker or basketball player. I'm just not competitive enough for those jobs.

While a fair observation--perhaps a better way to think of it is one of pre-managing expectations, and training/preparing one's self for this type of interaction as a norm, not an exception. Being able to maintain that joy of discovery and accomplishment even after the project gets torpedoed (no pun intended) comes naturally for some, but needs a few reminders for the rest of us.

16 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

While a fair observation--perhaps a better way to think of it is one of pre-managing expectations, and training/preparing one's self for this type of interaction as a norm, not an exception. Being able to maintain that joy of discovery and accomplishment even after the project gets torpedoed (no pun intended) comes naturally for some, but needs a few reminders for the rest of us.

That's a good perception to have.

Personally I'm bullet proof. I made my mod for myself, but chose to share the project with the community because I thought it was cool. If something happens where the game gets changed or the community doesn't like it, too bad, I did something for myself. This is also how I ignore demands with my mod, ie: I demand you do this or make this part. My take on it is, sorry I made this the way I want it, you want to pay me a hefty salary instead so I can make the changes you want, I go ahead, I'll do it then. In reality, no. My point is that we modders do this for our own personal satisfaction, and we are master to no one.

Yeah. Building ships in stock KSP is horrible because it requires tons of parts to make a carrier llarge enough to lland a VTOL on. What is the point of water in KSP if you cant make large useage of it...... Squad used too support modders. Now they are pretty much on their own and squad doesnt give a damn and they just want more money.

Okay ... it's been more than a month since Fengist replied, it's unknown if this mod will get a new maintainer.

So it's shameless but on the other hand people wish to build ships.

Links to my topics:

WW2 Warships:

Big Ships:

Couldn't find Eskandare's thread, maybe he doesn't have one yet?

On 2/26/2016 at 0:28 AM, Hellbrand said:

@Eskandare Any progress on figureing out that  logic issue?, or will we have to wait for 1.1?

We may have to wait till 1.1. I sent the info on the bug to Claw. Hopefully they'll  look into this. From what the debug is telling  me is that there is an issue with the convex collider and the collider for the water. The issue stems from when the colliders are clipping and on vessel unpack the game wants to treat the water collider like it is a ground collider.

hey all, I'm looking for a ship mod that doesn't need a ton of parts, and several hours to complete a ship, this one seems like it would have been a good candidate, sad that it's not alive.

If anybody has a broken copy they'd like to share I'd be very interested in getting it working again and sharing as I have done with several other dead mods, I think this is worth saving.

52 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

hey all, I'm looking for a ship mod that doesn't need a ton of parts, and several hours to complete a ship, this one seems like it would have been a good candidate, sad that it's not alive.

If anybody has a broken copy they'd like to share I'd be very interested in getting it working again and sharing as I have done with several other dead mods, I think this is worth saving.

Fengist was talking to someone about a handover but nothing came of it. I suggest you ask yourself.

Infinite Dice was going to hand over his carrier mod to Fengist before the latter lost interest. You could ask both of them about that too. It's a mod I miss very much. It still works if you delete the main boat DLL, can cope with inverted nodes, increase the mass so it doesn't float like a lily pad, and replace the disabled engines and controls.

Note there's currently a physics bug in 1.0.5 that destroys anything in the water (KJR physics easing sort of stops it), it's been fixed for 1.1.

I've also been considering new approaches to hull sections. I'll PM you my thoughts.

1 hour ago, colmo said:

Fengist was talking to someone about a handover but nothing came of it. I suggest you ask yourself.

Infinite Dice was going to hand over his carrier mod to Fengist before the latter lost interest. You could ask both of them about that too. It's a mod I miss very much. It still works if you delete the main boat DLL, can cope with inverted nodes, increase the mass so it doesn't float like a lily pad, and replace the disabled engines and controls.

Note there's currently a physics bug in 1.0.5 that destroys anything in the water (KJR physics easing sort of stops it), it's been fixed for 1.1.

I've also been considering new approaches to hull sections. I'll PM you my thoughts.

I am also working on a modular hull mod for frigate shaped hulls to use with BD Armory. It doesn't have to be used with BD Armory, you can build salvage and exploration ships with the mod too. I have plans to support KAS and KIS.

I did a buoyancy test last week using a single solid mesh of my project. Sadly I have to report there is a bug involving the convex collider when unpacking the craft file and the collider for the water. Thos happens with stock parts too. Nonetheless, I'm  continuing the mod in hopes that the bug is resolved in 1.1.

Also I'm  republishing my aircraft carrier used in Kerbin Side as a multi part hull. I've partially built the IVAs for this project.

6 minutes ago, Azimech said:

You're the one taking over?

Yes me and my friend are taking over this mod. We are not very experienced modders but this mod was to good to be left to die.

6 minutes ago, renoplane said:

Yay! Glad to hear something "came out of it", I'm sure the wait will be worth it. 

I hope so too

I'm not planning on adding any new parts any time soon as Im not a expert with modeling.

I'm planning to start releasing this on a boat by boat update starting with the pleasure craft.

Still waiting for the files to arrive but it's not long now :D

Edited by BT Industries

On 11/06/2015 at 0:21 AM, Fengist said:

The KSP Maritime Pack

… is no longer in development.  Thanks to the fact that Squad could give a damn about their modders, who make that game what it is, the Maritime Pack became busted, as of 1.0.5, in order for Squad to have stock aircraft pontoons.  InfiniteDice (the creator of Boat Parts, the only other naval pack for KSP) tried to warn me this would happen.  He gave up a long time ago after Squad busted his mod on more than one occasion.

You don’t need to beat me over the head with a stick twice, it only takes once.

I have learned my lesson when it comes to modding for KSP… don’t bother.  Squad’s only concern when they update their game is for their precious stock parts.  If you like stock parts, you’re in luck.  If you like mods, expect them to vanish just like this one did.

Thanks to everyone who supported this mod.  I had a blast while it lasted.  But now, thanks to Squad destroying 5 months worth of intense work, I could give a damn.

-Fengist

You had the perfect boat parts. I based all my ships around your mod. I mean, don't leave us now. What happens to the parts if, say, you remove their buoyancy and classify them as normal tanks? How will they perform?

Some stuff may be gone, but you can adapt, right?

I'll start a new thread soon for everyone to post ideas/discuss boats and this mod :D

1 minute ago, Matuchkin said:

You had the perfect boat parts. I based all my ships around your mod. I mean, don't leave us now. What happens to the parts if, say, you remove their buoyancy and classify them as normal tanks? How will they perform?

Some stuff may be gone, but you can adapt, right?

Look at the post above you :wink:

@BT Industries - are you taking on the Infinite Dice carrier too?

I'm looking forward to @Eskandare's effort too - I think i asked about the Kerbinside carrier being made as parts a very long time ago!

Due to the nonuniformity of your average hull, there are multiple approaches - Fengist's straightforward section lengths, Azimech's panels, Infinite Dice's semi-modular design, and I've posited the idea of bulkhead cross-sections which use fairing code to extrude the hull. There's surely others.

We await the new thread eagerly.