[1.0.5] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.0.2 Released!

Nils277

Haven't updated yet; am going to take a break from KSP until 1.1 arrives (and mods are updated ;) so (hopefully) the game is less painful when trying to construct large bases.

Just want to say thanks Nils for your great mod :)

This is my final base, each part landed separately under its own power just using the inline jet modules. Getting the balance right was fun (I ended up steering the final solar array gantry by controlling the "max thrust" slider of one of the engines ;)

SrPjBOK.jpg

This is a great mod, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

That said, the 0.2.3 update allows you to see inside the Command Module through the window. That's REALLY cool and everything... In theory. But with KSPs sad performance issues, it KILLS my frame rates when the module is in view.

Can I disable that via tweaking a config file?

You can find the description with the name of the file that has to be deleted in the readme file. ;-)

Wow, what an incredible update! And it's still WIP. Most of released mods are not half that solid, and this one is solid like a space rock.

Hw u do dis??? And here am I, who can't even animate a parachute without getting a nullreference all over the console. :D

- Rasterprop monitors in living quarters are strange-scaled and look kinda stretched.

- Double click on an airlock in living quarters sent me eva. Is it a feature?

- Is there a way to remove or fold green monitor thingie from cupola? It's not a plane after all. (Yeah, I'm aware of rovers, but still)

Terrific update. Love the transparent windows. Really makes everything look amazing.

One issue I'm having is attaching the wheels. I get the idea they are supposed to go inside the engines? I can mount them on outside ok, but I downloaded an example craft that had them (stored much more elegantly) inside. Can't seem to replicate it.

Edit - Managed to get it working. Works really well.

Edited by BinaryBad

Terrific update. Love the transparent windows. Really makes everything look amazing.

One issue I'm having is attaching the wheels. I get the idea they are supposed to go inside the engines? I can mount them on outside ok, but I downloaded an example craft that had them (stored much more elegantly) inside. Can't seem to replicate it.

Example craft is dated. Landing gear with wheels is supposed to go on the outside.

Holy mackerel, this mod is almost like cheating! I tested landing a modular base component on Minmus, and it worked GREAT!

The base consisted of this:

[Docking port][Thruster w/2 landing gear][Lab][MAL][Fuel tank][Habitat][Thruster w/2 landing gear][Docking port]

MechJeb, Landing Control, solar panel, and batteries on top. Don't forget to fill the liquid propellant and oxidizer in the thruster and fuel tank segments.

From a 12 Km orbit, this thing landed by itself, with fuel to spare.

There is this note on the op:

Notes on the Greenhouse:

In this version the Greenhouse has opaque windows because the shader for transparent parts can't be emissive to light the windows. In the future you can choose which version you want.

I was wondering why can't you use transparent windows and place a small light inside? Then you get both and the light source is correct. Or does unity poor light handling slam frame rate to much this way?

- Rasterprop monitors in living quarters are strange-scaled and look kinda stretched.

- Double click on an airlock in living quarters sent me eva. Is it a feature?

- Is there a way to remove or fold green monitor thingie from cupola? It's not a plane after all. (Yeah, I'm aware of rovers, but still)

1. Jep the monitors really looks kinda strange...i have to think about making some kind of TV prop or something.

2. This is a feature yes. It is a prop that you can add with RPM. It is not in all parts yet

3. You'd have to find the parts in the config file for the IVA and remove it. Maybe you are right, this parts belongs to a spacecraft and not a base.

Example craft is dated. Landing gear with wheels is supposed to go on the outside.

Oh...i have totally forgotten that example craft. I will update it sometime soon.

Holy mackerel, this mod is almost like cheating! I tested landing a modular base component on Minmus, and it worked GREAT!

The base consisted of this:

[Docking port][Thruster w/2 landing gear][Lab][MAL][Fuel tank][Habitat][Thruster w/2 landing gear][Docking port]

MechJeb, Landing Control, solar panel, and batteries on top. Don't forget to fill the liquid propellant and oxidizer in the thruster and fuel tank segments.

From a 12 Km orbit, this thing landed by itself, with fuel to spare.

Do you think that the engines are too overpowered? They have nearly the same ISP as the MK55 "Thud" engine.

Also I thought I'd bring up the Greenhouse isn't in the planetary bases tab in the menu. It's still in the game, but not in the tab.

Have you looked into the life-support section? The greenhouse now is in this section when a life-support mod is installed.

There is this note on the op:

I was wondering why can't you use transparent windows and place a small light inside? Then you get both and the light source is correct. Or does unity poor light handling slam frame rate to much this way?

Hmm...i really need to remove that statement from the main post. It is dated. The newest version allows transparent windows thanks to RPM.

Nice mod, I'll add this to my modded install once KSP 1.1 64 bit is (hopefully) out

And i hope that it will be possible to make the mode ready for 1.1 in an acceptable timeframe :D

Hey Nils, may I ask, what do you plan to do after this project?

I'm totally not sure yet...Maybe an adaption of this mod for space-stations. Maybe a more permanent approach with bases that can buried in the ground on other planets.

Or maybe just some break from modding. I haven't had much time to really play KSP or other games in the last months...still haven't even started with Witcher 3 :wink:

Edited by Nils277

I'm totally not sure yet...Maybe an adaption of this mod for space-stations. Maybe a more permanent approach with bases that can buried in the ground on other planets.

Or maybe just some break from modding. I haven't had much time to really play KSP or other games in the last months...still haven't even started with Witcher 3 :wink:

I would love a more permanent base mod. I've been working on a concept like this, and planned to use Ose Workshop to produce parts in the field, and KIS to build them part by part. Would love to see a base built into the ground. Love the new cross section adapter. it is awesome.

The transparent windows are beautiful :blush:

I've a curious bug with the wheels, that I couldn't solve after multiple tests : the front and back directions for driving are inverted.

I totally remade my craft to be sure i did not made a mistake. Any idea ?

Also, the lateral nodes from the Meerkat difficultly grab the nodes of the landing gears.