[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

4 hours ago, Avalon304 said:

Id love to see a Saturn V (Apollo setup) in this art style, it matches KSP stock much better than FASA.

The mismatched art style is definitely what I consider the biggest problem with FASA, the other being that many of the rockets only work in one distinct configuration (such as the Agena only really working for the ATV). As cool as a stockalike Saturn V would be, the rocket simply doesn't interest me. I don't really go for big and/or popular rockets. Saturn V is just too intimidating a project, and the Apollo program (strangely) doesn't terribly capture my interest. I have a number of things planned based on the extended Gemini projects. If I do Apollo/Saturn, it would include the Apollo applications project stuff. So I guess you have that to look forward to. If I ever do it. Maybe. I have to run out of other things at some point, right?

I will say that some time in the near future there will be an Apollo related project popping up here in another thread.

2 hours ago, Kradgger said:

Hey, Cobalt, love the work on this mod. Could I make a request? How about some R7/Soyuz-style radial tanks? I've made several out of your Inon/Muo parts for the core stage and the ones from HGR, but the last ones look odd since they're not very stockalike...

Also HGR's RD engine clusters only cast plumes from the vernier engines, which looks just silly.

Have you tried Tantares? You can tweakscale them up to 1.875m to fit better. I moved to Tantares after HGR updates stopped.

Have you tried Tantares? You can tweakscale them up to 1.875m to fit better. I moved to Tantares after HGR updates stopped.

I have, butit really bothers me how... GREY everything is! Also it has like a bajillion parts for just the Soyuz spacecraft itself; Orbital module with window, without neck, orbital module without window, without neck, orbital module without window with neck, APAS dock size 1, APAS dock size 0, probed dock size 1, probed dock size 0, probed dock animated, etc.

rF7M6gP.png

Although fugly in quality, HGR's soyuz really captures the stock feel, the shitty textures, the dirty, white metal, those thick metallic 'jaws' the engine cover has...

I find it more RLA_Stockalike-ish in nature. Too bad hoojiwana seems to have stopped making his stock replacement pack. For me mixing tantares with stockalike is like mixing Ven's with RLA.

But who gives a flying F, you're right. Plus it has a sweet, big-ass Ariane 5.

Edited by Kradgger

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

The mismatched art style is definitely what I consider the biggest problem with FASA, the other being that many of the rockets only work in one distinct configuration (such as the Agena only really working for the ATV). As cool as a stockalike Saturn V would be, the rocket simply doesn't interest me. I don't really go for big and/or popular rockets. Saturn V is just too intimidating a project, and the Apollo program (strangely) doesn't terribly capture my interest. I have a number of things planned based on the extended Gemini projects. If I do Apollo/Saturn, it would include the Apollo applications project stuff. So I guess you have that to look forward to. If I ever do it. Maybe. I have to run out of other things at some point, right?

I will say that some time in the near future there will be an Apollo related project popping up here in another thread.

I'll keep an eye out, and hope that you do decide to do stuff eventually. Thanks!

7 hours ago, Kradgger said:

I have, butit really bothers me how... GREY everything is!

Grey? What are you talking about chap?

Oh...

e1b7a026f7.jpg

Interesting read though, I think there is definitely some room for improvement in part organization (With all the multiple variant parts).

2 hours ago, KerbOrbiter said:

Can you put it on CKAN, please? Also, have some rep, nice work :)

I.... uh. Accidentally didn't click the automatic thing when I uploaded to KerbalStuff. And I can't figure out how netkan works T.T

11 minutes ago, Beale said:

Oh...

e1b7a026f7.jpg

Interesting read though, I think there is definitely some room for improvement in part organization (With all the multiple variant parts).

Yes! I appreciate all the different parts but I think we're reaching a sort of critical mass, for example in terms of all the variations with 0.625m and 0.9375m caps, I think perhaps at some point you should decide which size you are going to support. :3

48 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I.... uh. Accidentally didn't click the automatic thing when I uploaded to KerbalStuff. And I can't figure out how netkan works T.T

Ugh... I'll try and figure it out. I gotchu fam

8 hours ago, Kradgger said:

I have, butit really bothers me how... GREY everything is! Also it has like a bajillion parts for just the Soyuz spacecraft itself; Orbital module with window, without neck, orbital module without window, without neck, orbital module without window with neck, APAS dock size 1, APAS dock size 0, probed dock size 1, probed dock size 0, probed dock animated, etc.

rF7M6gP.png

Although fugly in quality, HGR's soyuz really captures the stock feel, the shitty textures, the dirty, white metal, those thick metallic 'jaws' the engine cover has...

I find it more RLA_Stockalike-ish in nature. Too bad hoojiwana seems to have stopped making his stock replacement pack. For me mixing tantares with stockalike is like mixing Ven's with RLA.

But who gives a flying F, you're right. Plus it has a sweet, big-ass Ariane 5.

Are... are you allowed to use that kind of language on the forums? I mean I don't care but be careful! :P

Edit- Quiet, you! The Breadlord does as he pleases!

Edited by VenomousRequiem

11 minutes ago, NotAgain said:

Would it be possible to, in some future update have a 1.875m to 1.5m fuel tank? I'm building some demon lovechild of the Atlas, the Thor, skylab, and a mercury capsule from Bloeting to cap it all off.

I second the motion!

Also I didn't expect this many responses. Kinda motivates me to enter the modding community AS a modder. Too bad I'm not taking my PC back home with me this holiday. Oh well, 2016 it is, then.

Meh, use SSTU, KW Rocketry, or FASA and boom you have a perfect Saturn V.  I'd love to see a Saturn I/IB though, because none of those are Stockalike (Core stage).

PS: Klockheed Martian made a good Stockalike Skylab that goes perfect with KW's Saturn V. ;) 

13 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Hmmm... an Apollo related project...

I see a flying horse with solar panels as wings in the distant future... :D

Edited by davidy12

1 hour ago, NotAgain said:

Would it be possible to, in some future update have a 1.875m to 1.5m fuel tank? I'm building some demon lovechild of the Atlas, the Thor, skylab, and a mercury capsule from Bloeting to cap it all off.

My Bloeting or the original?

59 minutes ago, Kradgger said:

I second the motion!

Don't worry haha. A 1.875m > 1.5m Adapter is in the list of 'things I need to  make for the next release' so its near the top of my priorities.

8 minutes ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

I know you aren't interested in having Apollo themed stuff, however. I don't think there is a KSP mod that has a Skylab. Which I think is right up your ally. *cough* Skylab needs a Saturn V *cough*

Guess there's no point in making skylab, eh? :P

6 hours ago, Beale said:

Oh...

e1b7a026f7.jpg

We're working on that though, right? I mean, we've got alternate textures, colored stripes, colorful heat shields, etc. Darn you gray for being so neutral and comfortable...

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yes! I appreciate all the different parts but I think we're reaching a sort of critical mass, for example in terms of all the variations with 0.625m and 0.9375m caps, I think perhaps at some point you should decide which size you are going to support. :3

Most of you know my stance on this, but the more sizes the better. The stock game feels so limiting, and stock craft are always very jarring when all of the size differences are in large multiples, not gentle size differences. There's not reason I should have to launch a 1.25m payload with a lifter that's twice the diameter. I'd be all for Squad adding more size standards. Don't know why people are so adverse to them frankly. It makes buildings things much more interesting.

4 hours ago, NotAgain said:

1.5m is still on the fringes of acceptable sizes. 1.875m is pretty widely accepted, but 1.5m scares people. Heh.

3 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Mmm, Skylab. 

Too bad I can't for the life of me convince him to make Apollo stuff... Sorry guys. :P

The big challenge with Apollo is that it would require a bunch of off-sizes to look remotely to scale, and proportioned. 

Assuming a 2.5m Apollo Command Module,

• Stage 3 (S-IVB) would be about 4.25m in diameter
  • Stage 2 (S-II) would be about 6.45m in diameter
  • Stage 1 (S-I) would be about 6.45m in diameter, and would flare out to something like 8m with the F1 engine firings.

Plus, a major appeal with the Apollo spacecraft is the reflective mylar coating, and we won't really be able to do that until 1.1 comes out. 

The biggest issue with Saturn V's, and SLSs for that matter, is balance. If you balance something the size of a Saturn V, or and SLS in KSP properly, it'll perform terribly. Squad doesn't really prioritize realism, and that's their prerogative, but something the size of a Saturn V in KSP will be capable of putting you on a Kerbol SOI escape trajectory. You could potentially land on the Mun with the third stage. Heh. Such is KSP modding...

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

My Bloeting or the original?

Don't worry haha. A 1.875m > 1.5m Adapter is in the list of 'things I need to  make for the next release' so its near the top of my priorities.

Maybe I missed something, what would 1.5m be used for?

8 minutes ago, curtquarquesso said:

1.5m is still on the fringes of acceptable sizes. 1.875m is pretty widely accepted, but 1.5m scares people. Heh.

Maybe I missed something, what would 1.5m be used for?

1.5m is used in BDB for Thor (in the last release, greatly improved textures in the current dev release), Delta II (going to be in the first 2016 release), Karrot (gemini thing), and something else I'm probably forgetting.

20 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

1.5m is used in BDB for Thor (in the last release, greatly improved textures in the current dev release), Delta II (going to be in the first 2016 release), Karrot (gemini thing), and something else I'm probably forgetting.

Heh. You're a brave soul for entering the world of 1.5m. Good luck. :)

I've updated the Realism Overhaul configs to include Able, Ablestar, Thor, and Vanguard; they're available from the same GitHub branch as before, or, more conveniently, by themselves. Definitely still a WIP, but GLOW, payload, and dry mass are good, and almost everything fits together properly (jury-rigged adapters for RO diameters) except Vanguard.

Spoiler

0QmT3rb.png

ayOL0wo.png

FIZaoVH.png

As always, awesome work and I can't wait to get to play with Agena :)

Edited by A1Ch1

33 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

@fs10inator

Which parts or Textures do you use for the Maintank and the Upper Stage?

Procedural Parts and BDB.

Atlas:
-2 Procedural Liquid Tanks
*upper tank: PlainWhite texture
*lower tank: Atlas texture
-BDB Muo booster engine tank (hidden, but below the silver tank) scaled to 2,5m

Centaur:
-1 Procedural Liquid Tank
*CryogenicOrange texture

Edited by fs10inator