[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I am feeling a bit burnt out, since this past dev cycles has been intense nearly every day for 2 1/2 months. I enjoyed it but need a bit of time to breath. I'll be back soon, don't worry. But probably not at the same speed as before. Apollo easily could have took far longer to do.

Heh, that sounds just like the actual Apollo program. What a sprint it was. And a magnificent sprint it was.

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

With that in mind, what would everyone like to see next? I'm feeling a bit paralyzed right now since there's so much I can do.

My suggestion is rest. And then either Skylab or ETS Apollo. You already have the models for ETS done in Maya and would only have to be textured at a leisurely pace. For Skylab, you'd need a new texture for the S-IVB and the fiddly bits of solar panels, radiator, shield, ATM, etc. But I see those as the next best next steps. (Unless Nixon nixes those ideas and your forced to build the shuttle. :kiss:)

@Daelkyr whatever happened to that surprise you had? :)

@Foxxonius Augustus good to have you back! Remember that Saturn hasn't actually released yet. :wink: 

@_Krieger_ nice catch! Yeah, it's UV unwrapped already, I just got impatient and decided "Oh, I'll push this through unity and then I can just save over the texture later when I get around to finishing it." I logged an issue on Github. Has anyone noticed anything else like that on Saturn? I imagine that there is probably more like it.

@Rory Yammomoto yes you can, but I don't want to mess with that stuff.

I see three votes for fairings, those shouldn't be too hard but I don't know what they would look like off the top of my head. Two votes for Skylab, I will start looking into it. I have some reference for it saved already. ETS stuff already has a first modeling pass, at least for the Block III+ and the AARDV, and I don't think I'd be able to reuse a ton of textures from the current Apollo stuff. A vote for probes, I have two probe cores modeled and textured, they can go whenever I have an afternoon to finish them. Two votes (one here, one elsewhere) for Centaur, which (as we've somewhat established) needs some work to be finished. 

Also, one of the last lingering things for the update - I've tried to get the window light animation working for the LEM, which is complicated somewhat by the antenna animations that are already on the part. Having multiple animations that can run in parallel on a single part is a bit of a gray area, and I'm not sure whether it worked. I don't have KSP 1.2 installed on my laptop. Would anybody be able to test it for me? I've uploaded it on to Github.

Alright, message received. Anyone have any reference for what it could look like/what design I could follow? If y'all get back to me quick I might be able to get them into the update. I could rescale the Saturn 1 fairings but that feels sorta cheesy IMO.

More generally, a better list of what parts people have found a 'need' for would be nice so I have some minimum effort boring parts to take care of some time. I know we are short on size adapters.

Edited by CobaltWolf

7 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Alright, message received. Anyone have any reference for what it could look like/what design I could follow? If y'all get back to me quick I might be able to get them into the update. I could rescale the Saturn 1 fairings but that feels sorta cheesy IMO.

More generally, a better list of what parts people have found a 'need' for would be nice so I have some minimum effort boring parts to take care of some time. I know we are short on size adapters.

I have a pic of some heavy saturn designs that might help for fairings?

nr3DlYs.jpg

So basically all white, or with black stripes like the saturn 1 fairings?

6 minutes ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

One vote for a 5.625m fairing, preferably with interstage nodes

How about interstage nodes for all of em? Or at least one of each non stock size.

(briefly doffs the Hype hat.)

Size adapters are the single most useful part group to me. They don't just go from one size to another. They can be thrust plates, module end caps (no doors please), satellite buses, form off angle attachment points of the correct size and so much more. (deep breath) Size adapters, all I'm saying. (apart form casting another vote for vaga...)

Now where did I put it... ahh there it is!

(dons the Hype hat once more.)

This offering pleases me.

9 minutes ago, IronCretin said:

tumblr_mvfoaxNdyI1roe9r1o1_1280.jpg

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus
y o y did I drop the y

Interstage nodes..?

And I meant the base. Though the generic BDB fairing texture needs a change too. The repeating stripe is pretty doofy looking.

7 minutes ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Odd vote that's probably just me, but adding an upper stage and SRBs to your Atlas V would be something I'd use a lot in my other save.

But of course, anything is interesting, and Skylab would be cool.

You can already build the Atlas V 4xx configuration, albiet with a too-short centaur. Apart from that, I could finish Atlas V with basically 3 parts (the 5xx fairing base / interstage combo, a longer Centaur tank, and the AJ60s).

I thought @MrMeeb was doing Skylab?

Also you mentioned part list, here are my thoughts:

Big G SM or at least a 3.75 to 2.5m adapter tank

5.625m fairing

A few more 5.625m tank options and adapters

A short 2.5m SM for hopefully obvious reasons (squat apollo SM)

...that's all that comes to mind, really.

14 minutes ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

maybe the old models with the new textures? (which is a shame, I really liked those textures, as apparently terrible as they were)

I don't understand the appeal of low-res, flat shaded textures but ok. And the old models had a lot of issues, and don't fit the sizing that I want to use.

EDIT: Just wanted to repeat this:

Also, one of the last lingering things for the update - I've tried to get the window light animation working for the LEM, which is complicated somewhat by the antenna animations that are already on the part. Having multiple animations that can run in parallel on a single part is a bit of a gray area, and I'm not sure whether it worked. I don't have KSP 1.2 installed on my laptop. Would anybody be able to test it for me? I've uploaded it on to Github.

Edited by CobaltWolf