[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

44 minutes ago, Taco Salad said:

WOW, gotta say you make the best looking kitbash builds I've ever seen. 
Got a few things to ask. 
1: What was the name of the mod used for the early apollo capsule design? I remember finding it once, and then loosing it.
2: how do you get those red decorative stripes, are they just a ton of MORL red stripe decals?
3: Do you have any notable inspirations for these, or were they all just off the cuff designs, cause damn, you really nailed the look and feel of everything, even the Soviet probe.

The Apollo D-2 comes from the Alternate Apollo mod, which has sadly been abandoned it seems. The parts still work in 1.12 though. Heh, perhaps BDB could take it over or incorporate their own D-2, but I doubt it. If Cobalt had any interest in the D-2, I think we would have gotten in during the Saturn/Apollo update. 

On 4/12/2024 at 10:04 AM, AdrianDogmeat said:

Saturn "allWhite" Switch (from @sam25544 on discord, reuploaded with permission)

Place inside GameData\Bluedog_DB\Parts\Saturn\Paint

Don't ask how I've been dumb enough to not bring this up in the month plus since this was discussed, and feel free to ignore it, but I've always gotten an error message with this, and an issue with Two adapters not having their allwhite alt textures.
Up to you if you wanna ask your friend about it, but I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to deal with it 'cause of my delay.

image.png?ex=6651b61e&is=6650649e&hm=aa6image.png?ex=6651b637&is=665064b7&hm=ba3image.png?ex=6651b09f&is=66505f1f&hm=cad

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

The Apollo D-2 comes from the Alternate Apollo mod, which has sadly been abandoned it seems. The parts still work in 1.12 though. Heh, perhaps BDB could take it over or incorporate their own D-2, but I doubt it. If Cobalt had any interest in the D-2, I think we would have gotten in during the Saturn/Apollo update. 

Oh yeah THERE it is, thanks.

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

It’s a great mod, but it needs a little TLC to bring it up to BDB visual standards. Overall it flies well, but beware of bringing it back from the moon. The heatshield can’t handle lunar reentry speeds. One of the best things about the mod is that the 1962 “Bug” LM is included! It interfaces well with BDB. 

1 hour ago, DaveyJ576 said:

It’s a great mod, but it needs a little TLC to bring it up to BDB visual standards. Overall it flies well, but beware of bringing it back from the moon. The heatshield can’t handle lunar reentry speeds. One of the best things about the mod is that the 1962 “Bug” LM is included! It interfaces well with BDB. 

Little config hacking will fix that.

2 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Little config hacking will fix that.

Done! I also lightened the LM ascent stage a tad. It is way heavy. Difficult to make it to lunar orbit in KSRSS as it stands originally.

7 hours ago, Taco Salad said:

WOW, gotta say you make the best looking kitbash builds I've ever seen. 
Got a few things to ask. 
1: What was the name of the mod used for the early apollo capsule design? I remember finding it once, and then loosing it.
2: how do you get those red decorative stripes, are they just a ton of MORL red stripe decals?
3: Do you have any notable inspirations for these, or were they all just off the cuff designs, cause damn, you really nailed the look and feel of everything, even the Soviet probe.

On top of what others said, the red stripes and overall recoloring is done with conformaldecals, usually through the custom text part.

The designs are a mix of real and fictional: the CRAF design is real, just as Pioneer Agena, the D-2, the IOWS and the Galactic Jupiter Probe, while Kometa is fictional (more on the design in the tantares thread), just as the LEO D-2, AAP MOL and that specific C-3 design

4 minutes ago, Beccab said:

On top of what others said, the red stripes and overall recoloring is done with conformaldecals, usually through the custom text part.

The designs are a mix of real and fictional: the CRAF design is real, just as Pioneer Agena, the D-2, the IOWS and the Galactic Jupiter Probe, while Kometa is fictional (more on the design in the tantares thread), just as the LEO D-2, AAP MOL and that specific C-3 design

Ohh okay, cool. Though last question, how do I make the text decals do that. I can't get them to be solid strips, or find anything on it.

6 minutes ago, Taco Salad said:

Ohh okay, cool. Though last question, how do I make the text decals do that. I can't get them to be solid strips, or find anything on it.

I usually set the text to AAAA or something like that, bold it and use that setting that makes text wider until it fills up the whole rectangle

13 hours ago, Taco Salad said:

Don't ask how I've been dumb enough to not bring this up in the month plus since this was discussed, and feel free to ignore it, but I've always gotten an error message with this, and an issue with Two adapters not having their allwhite alt textures.
Up to you if you wanna ask your friend about it, but I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to deal with it 'cause of my delay.

image.png?ex=6651b61e&is=6650649e&hm=aa6image.png?ex=6651b637&is=665064b7&hm=ba3image.png?ex=6651b09f&is=66505f1f&hm=cad

Oh yeah THERE it is, thanks.

Oh yeah the 2 adapters not having their textures is a known issue by the developer, and I don't think he's going to fix them anytime soon (this mod was made all the way back in 2022 and I don't think he's touching it again)

Just ignore them at the monent and the mod should work fine 

Just realized that my reflections were disabled in my settings, and only now have I turned them on. Stuff looks really, really good now. 
Also featuring a Eve orbiter and probe I'm putting together.
image.png?ex=66533b63&is=6651e9e3&hm=a2e971f9a7e91765aedd1b528a85157dd02229e15138029f00b4472ca89a40d5&image.png?ex=66533b76&is=6651e9f6&hm=900image.png?ex=66533bbe&is=6651ea3e&hm=149

4 hours ago, Taco Salad said:

Just realized that my reflections were disabled in my settings, and only now have I turned them on. Stuff looks really, really good now. 
Also featuring a Eve orbiter and probe I'm putting together.

Using TRS as a kitbash for a space probe is an idea I never stopped to consider. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Falcon Aerospace said:

Since you redone the RD-180 is there an Atlas V Revamp or its already up to date

I asked this the previous page back. The answer is yes, but Invader was supposed to do it, but Invader is busy, so Zorg might take over.

Edited by GoldForest

5 hours ago, Zorg said:

2.5m parts coming soon

fFF5ASy.png

Cu4PkAa.png

Are there any plans for making Textures Unlimited configs for Atlas tanks? (shiny Atlas for anyone who doesn't know what Textures Unlimited is)

5 hours ago, guest10985 said:

Are there any plans for making Textures Unlimited configs for Atlas tanks? (shiny Atlas for anyone who doesn't know what Textures Unlimited is)

Its planned for when all the artwork is finished.

Posted (edited)

2.5m parts for SLV-3X "Fatlas" and the 5 engine original Atlas concept are up on github now. Also bonus tricoupler based on that one mysterious model.

Mo5iLcc.png

QbMqjnZ.png

The variant for the aft tank was uploaded earlier. But you will note the dedicated SLV3X variant fits the H1D perfectly now (rotated 45 deg)

QY5ewKA.png

The five engine version is based on very early Atlas concepts before it shrank down to the rocket we know today. There were quite a few variations but the parts in game can be used to make the circa 1953 design using the XLR89 and 105 engine configs as laid out by Ed Kyle in the Spacelaunchreport archives (the thrust is higher IRL but this still works in game). Some of the earlier designs even used Alcolox, JP4 and even apparently just Gasoline/Petrol.

YaEx2qN.png

SgTnuq4.png

D52jtTc.jpeg

kcbW0YL.png

And finally the tricoupler

8BnfKC5.png

0wpxdAL.png

bGrvYic.png

Edited by Zorg

37 minutes ago, Zorg said:

2.5m parts for SLV-3X "Fatlas" and the 5 engine original Atlas concept are up on github now. Also bonus tricoupler based on that one mysterious model.

The variant for the aft tank was uploaded earlier. But you will note the dedicated SLV3X variant fits the H1D perfectly now (rotated 45 deg)

The five engine version is based on very early Atlas concepts before it shrank down to the rocket we know today. There were quite a few variations but the parts in game can be used to make the circa 1954 design using the XLR89 and 105 engine configs as laid out by Ed Kyle in the Spacelaunchreport archives (the thrust is higher IRL but this still works in game). Some of the earlier designs even used Alcolox, JP4 and even apparently just Gasoline/Petrol.

0wpxdAL.png

Is that tricoupler a real concept? Early rocketry designs were insane. Tri-coupler Atlas, Double Barrel Delta II, Nova rocket designs (The BIG boys)

Oh, Zorg, will we be getting the OV probes as well as the side mounted payload bay, the dual nose payload bay and the tri-coupler payload bay for the OVs?

3 hours ago, Zorg said:

Mo5iLcc.png

QbMqjnZ.png

QY5ewKA.png

The five engine version is based on very early Atlas concepts before it shrank down to the rocket we know today. There were quite a few variations but the parts in game can be used to make the circa 1953 design using the XLR89 and 105 engine configs as laid out by Ed Kyle in the Spacelaunchreport archives (the thrust is higher IRL but this still works in game). Some of the earlier designs even used Alcolox, JP4 and even apparently just Gasoline/Petrol.

YaEx2qN.png

SgTnuq4.png

D52jtTc.jpeg

kcbW0YL.png

8BnfKC5.png

0wpxdAL.png

bGrvYic.png

That tricoupler looks like a recipe for explosions of the largely non-propulsive variety. If it was a real concept, how would the skirts have separated? And if it is a concept unique to here, do you have any recommendations for how to separate the skirts?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Is that tricoupler a real concept? Early rocketry designs were insane. Tri-coupler Atlas, Double Barrel Delta II, Nova rocket designs (The BIG boys)

Oh, Zorg, will we be getting the OV probes as well as the side mounted payload bay, the dual nose payload bay and the tri-coupler payload bay for the OVs?

Everything planned (or under strong consideration) is here https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/issues/974

23 minutes ago, septemberWaves said:

That tricoupler looks like a recipe for explosions of the largely non-propulsive variety. If it was a real concept, how would the skirts have separated? And if it is a concept unique to here, do you have any recommendations for how to separate the skirts?

It separated just fine in my flight test though they tumbled wildly and collided against each other after jettison. It wouldn't hurt to have them strutted to each other I guess? IRL I would think at least the boosters had some kind of bracing near the bottom though I just used struts on the side (not necessary with KJR but it looked more sensible with them)

ebVfyq5.png

As for its provenance there isnt much more context beyond this. Theres a drawing at link which suggests those sections at the top of the booster and the two above it are additional storable stages.

1xiPDCR.png

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=26915.200

Edited by Zorg

14 minutes ago, Zorg said:

It separated just fine in my flight test though they tumbled wildly and collided against each other after jettison.

As long as they clear the rocket, they can tumble as wild as they want. This was the RL attitude towards Delta II SRMs - there's a video that clearly shows post-jettison tumbling (sadly, I've lost the link to it).