[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, Spike88 said:

I started a new install in KSRSS Reborn with Blackrack's clouds. After getting all my mods re-installed I started to get this error:

jgLRwj8.jpg

I tried re-installing BDB and realplume to see if it would resolve the issue but neither worked. I could've sworn I've seen someone else with this error in the past, but I couldn't find it when searching.

1 hour ago, Taco Salad said:

Oh I've been getting this same error, but haven't had any issues with it.

This is just from the Apollo LES, and is due to RSMP. Not sure how they'd not see those errors on RSMP's side... For use with RSMP you can probably just delete the BDB_Apollo.cfg file in question. I'll see about maybe adding some safeguards on our side too though.

While you may not have issues (other than with that particular plume), having errors will prevent your MM cache from saving causing longer game loading time each launch, so I would recommend the above fix at least.

4 hours ago, Rodger said:

This is just from the Apollo LES, and is due to RSMP. Not sure how they'd not see those errors on RSMP's side... For use with RSMP you can probably just delete the BDB_Apollo.cfg file in question. I'll see about maybe adding some safeguards on our side too though.

While you may not have issues (other than with that particular plume), having errors will prevent your MM cache from saving causing longer game loading time each launch, so I would recommend the above fix at least.

My gut had told me it was RSMP as it was a new addition to my mod list since I swapped Hephaistos for BREAD with this new install(and RSMP is a dependency).

Would adding a !RSMP to the BDB config in question cause MM to not load the config? 

35 minutes ago, Spike88 said:

My gut had told me it was RSMP as it was a new addition to my mod list since I swapped Hephaistos for BREAD with this new install(and RSMP is a dependency).

Would adding a !RSMP to the BDB config in question cause MM to not load the config? 

Yep, that's what I've added on dev

Threw together a little gravity tether, testing out artificial gravity for long term habitation. Love how FreeIVA works with centrifugal forces. Couldn't manage to spin up the centrifuge without it trying to roll at the same time. Still, looked cool I think.
image.png?ex=66684eb3&is=6666fd33&hm=b3e

21 minutes ago, Taco Salad said:

Threw together a little gravity tether, testing out artificial gravity for long term habitation. Love how FreeIVA works with centrifugal forces. Couldn't manage to spin up the centrifuge without it trying to roll at the same time. Still, looked cool I think.
image.png?ex=66684eb3&is=6666fd33&hm=b3e

The way you have the solar panels on the mission module is kind of cursed, yet so Kerbal.

18 hours ago, Pappystein said:

And well this is a mod mostly about the 60s,70,80s space flight and 80s is BARELY there.   Atlas V and latter Delta IV were "larks" if you will that do not fit with the timeline on their own of the rest of BDB.

Funnily enough, the Atlas V was the first "realistic" set of parts I added.

M9bdQrH.png

The impetus being, my father works at L3Harris in their radio communications division, and helped work on the MUOS satellite radio system. That's also where the BDB Atlas V gets it's name.

In terms of them fitting in the mod, Atlas V and Delta IV feel appropriate in that they're the end of the line for the development heritage covered by BDB. Vulcan feels too much like a fresh build rocket without the same legacy attached. I realize that it has as much in common with Atlas V as Atlas V or Delta IV do with their predecessors, but...

18 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Titan indeed holds well, and doesn't need a graphic revamp.

However, it follows the stock "butt+engine - decoupler" logic, and not the modern BDB's "butt - engine - interstage" logic. Basically, it needs a "re-cut", so to speak.

One of the things on my mind has been doing some touch up work on Titan. The models are all fine, but there are some aspects of the textures that I think could be improved. Those parts sit in a middle area, where they're better than a lot of what came before, but didn't benefit from all the lessons I learned while doing them. When the Titan revamp finished, I went straight to work on the 'Early Rockets Revamp' which included Thor, Redstone, Agena, etc and those parts all came out wayyyy better since I was able to apply some new lessons and learned from mistakes with previous part sets.

So as you said, the Titan parts weren't designed with the "butt-engine-interstage" philosophy, nor were they designed for making length variants in the way later parts were. I'm not sure how much can be done for either, but some amount of cleanup wouldn't go amiss. We started using B9PS partway through that development cycle as well, so a lot of the switches were last minute additions.

But yeah, Titan is on my radar as something worth spending some time on.

6 hours ago, Watchman209x said:

Question for you guys? Specifically Rodger, CobaltWolf, or Zorg KSP. When will the 1.14 update be released on CKAN? Just a general Guesstimate based on the timeline?

I'm not even comfortable giving a general guesstimate. Once we reach a good stopping point with the current WIP part sets like Atlas and X-15, we'll start having an idea.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

M9bdQrH.png

The impetus being, my father works at L3Harris in their radio communications division, and helped work on the MUOS satellite radio system. That's also where the BDB Atlas V gets it's name.

In terms of them fitting in the mod, Atlas V and Delta IV feel appropriate in that they're the end of the line for the development heritage covered by BDB. Vulcan feels too much like a fresh build rocket without the same legacy attached. I realize that it has as much in common with Atlas V as Atlas V or Delta IV do with their predecessors, but...

in researching SUS, I discovered that Delta IV SUS is just Delta K with a new interface. So Delta IV sort of does have Thor Delta heritage—by

Funny enough, In researching SUS... I discovered that Delta IV SUS is just Delta K with new interface and stretched tank... so Delta IV sorta does have Thor Delta heritage... By a fingernail!    Mind you that is MORE over-simplified than calling the Atlas V SUS an Agena.  The Delta IV SUS utilizes the same Interface connections as Delta II so above the tank it is essentially the same guidance section and satellite hardware.   The document even calls out that the final fairing diameter for the Delta IV SUS is 8ft diameter!      Mind you this is all Super preliminary Hand-wavium work.

A simple abstract description of the Delta IV SUS...    Improved AJ-10-118K(lighter Composite bell instead of our favorite Niobium Blue bell) Enhanced tankage allowing for more fuel volume (no details listed) Delta II 8ft fairing and interfaces.

I will re-examine my sources and try to crank out some firmer data later today.    I was focused on GD's SUS and just happened to Find the McD SUS info

How risky is it to install the current version of 1.14 for my career? I mostly want the X15 but the game wasn’t happy when I just added it to my 1.13 install. 

Ok, so a lot of 3rd tier sources on the McD/Boeing EELV entrant.   Trustworthyneess... LOW

Most state that it is in fact an un-modifed Delta K upper stage for the  Delta IV EELV SUS.  

HOWEVER two sources cite an "Enhanced AJ10 borrowing technology from the Pratt and Whitney RL10-B2 engine bell"      Of course this leads to an extremely ugly Delta IV.   One with an 8ft (1.5m ksp scale) pimple on top!

5 minutes ago, Spike88 said:

How risky is it to install the current version of 1.14 for my career? I mostly want the X15 but the game wasn’t happy when I just added it to my 1.13 install. 

I have had zero issues but... Your mileage may vary

1 hour ago, Spike88 said:

I wouldn't install it to play with an existing career. Just sandbox for stuff you don't care if you lose.

13 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

M9bdQrH.png

One of the things on my mind has been doing some touch up work on Titan. The models are all fine, but there are some aspects of the textures that I think could be improved. Those parts sit in a middle area, where they're better than a lot of what came before, but didn't benefit from all the lessons I learned while doing them. When the Titan revamp finished, I went straight to work on the 'Early Rockets Revamp' which included Thor, Redstone, Agena, etc and those parts all came out wayyyy better since I was able to apply some new lessons and learned from mistakes with previous part sets.

So as you said, the Titan parts weren't designed with the "butt-engine-interstage" philosophy, nor were they designed for making length variants in the way later parts were. I'm not sure how much can be done for either, but some amount of cleanup wouldn't go amiss. We started using B9PS partway through that development cycle as well, so a lot of the switches were last minute additions.

I'm not even comfortable giving a general guesstimate. Once we reach a good stopping point with the current WIP part sets like Atlas and X-15, we'll start having an idea.

eventually Viking though

right?

11 hours ago, AdrianDogmeat said:

Atlas V 541 - GOES-S

someone stop me I'm having way too much fun with the new Atlas V parts

mi10xM5.png

IwG3BWV.png

4sYrH2n.png

xKVv8bL.png

eJ9kmv1.png

FKgW1c1.png

what mod for the satillite busses?

near future width bashing?

Atlas Phase 1 upgrade. This upgrade features a wide-body centaur. The test payload was a Centaur III tank without any of its engines or equipment. 150 km x 150 km 0 degree orbit was achieved with plenty of fuel left over in the tank or orbit raising. TWR is low at lift off, less than 1.1, so the gravity turn was started at 75m at 0.4 degrees rather than 50m at 0.5 degrees. Dubbed, by me, Atlas 501W (W standing for widebody Centaur) or if you want to stick to numbers only, Atlas 5011 (1 standing for the short widebody, 2 would be extended widebody)

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

OOSWvC2.png

LLGkg4v.png

6Wasf9K.png

1u9xg8A.png

mp1zrxD.png

Edited by GoldForest

Phase 1 upgrade Atlas. This time, with an extended widebody Centaur. Dubbed, by me, the Atlas 552EW (Extended Widebody) or the 5522 (1 would be short widebody, 2 extended widebody)

Payload: Centaur III tank

Orbit: 539.377 km x 462.140 km 180-degree retrograde orbit.

U2yRLRT.png

bO8RuNR.png

5jATQY5.png

v4Xdhqv.png

zPfYfG2.png

vqcKl0v.png

Edited by GoldForest

Phase 1 upgrade Atlas V HLV 504EW/5042 sending Centaur III tank to around a synchronous polar orbit of about 7.15 Mm. 

Phase 1 complete now. Going to do Phase 2 which introduces a Widebody Booster. Of course, there are many other variants that you could make with phase 1 than the 3 I did, but I'm not going to do them all. I mean, you've got

1 fairing size (Phase 1 does away with the 4 meter fairing entirely, but understandable. Why would you stick a smaller fairing on a wider rocket?)
5 SRB layouts to choose from 
3 RL-10 engine layouts
2 Centaur sizes to choose from
And finally, 2 Atlas CCB layouts. 1 core or 3.

1 x 5 x 3 x 2 x 2 = 60 Options... I'm NOT doing that lol. And yes, I'm counting the fact that you can technically add SRBs to Atlas heavy. 

rgjj1oe.png

EI3pJdD.png

Hg7zBgA.png

0WRdm5U.png

g7RXb3m.png

bgsSO8d.png

Edited by GoldForest

On 6/10/2024 at 5:19 PM, Watchman209x said:

Question for you guys? Specifically Rodger, CobaltWolf, or Zorg KSP. When will the 1.14 update be released on CKAN? Just a general Guesstimate based on the timeline?

18 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

yeah given that we work on this in our free time, actual contributions come in fits and starts depending on what else we have going on. And the current projects are quite extensive and complex. Even internally we tend to find out ourselves when a release is feasible quite late once most things have come together. You can keep an eye on the todo lists in the github issues if you wish to track progress. But just dont consider it any sort of indicator of a time line.

Edited by Zorg

18 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

M9bdQrH.png

The more I learn about the folks on this thread, the less qualified I feel to be here. @Invaderchaos works on rockets for real, @DaveyJ576 is retired military, and now this. Makes the mod feel that much more special.

With that in mind, I predict @GoldForest is a blood relative of Philip Bono, because that would explain a lot!

12 minutes ago, Blufor878 said:

The more I learn about the folks on this thread, the less qualified I feel to be here. @Invaderchaos works on rockets for real, @DaveyJ576 is retired military, and now this. Makes the mod feel that much more special.

With that in mind, I predict @GoldForest is a blood relative of Philip Bono, because that would explain a lot!

Nope. lol.

11 hours ago, kspbutitscursed said:

eventually Viking though

right?

It's scary to think about working on

Especially since if I went back to it, I think I'd have to start the lander from scratch.

5 hours ago, Blufor878 said:

Ha, he works on the terrestrial side not the satellite side. And I have a humble art degree, so it definitely wasn't passed on.

4 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Especially since if I went back to it, I think I'd have to start the lander from scratch.

Ha, he works on the terrestrial side not the satellite side. And I have a humble art degree, so it definitely wasn't passed on.

Any update on Voyager? 

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Any update on Voyager? 

Oh we finished that months ago and just don't feel like uploading it. /s

Edited by CobaltWolf

57 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

That's really cool that he works in the industry either way. Also if this is the product of said art degree, I think you're doing just fine.