[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

3 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Ill admit my mistake, you caught me out.  Nuclear Shuttle was not even on my mind.   (isn't it too short tho!?)   Good show  And good luck with your Martian landing (assuming you are headded to Duna)

oh yeah it is but full length would be overkill for the stock system.

37 minutes ago, Birdman31 said:

Just a question, are you guys planning to add any of the re-entry vehicles Atlas missiles used? like the one for the Titan?

There's not any real reason for reentry vehicles. Well, maybe for some science, but you could get the same science using a satellite during launch or crewed vehicle during reentry.

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

There's not any real reason for reentry vehicles.

Titan II RV (which is in BDB) has a tweakable lead weight, so it's quite useful as a boilerplate for rocket testing.

Old Titan set also included Mk4(?) RV, which was configured as a science part (atmo test, IIRC). Mysteriously, it didn't make it into revamp.

18 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

Titan II RV (which is in BDB) has a tweakable lead weight, so it's quite useful as a boilerplate for rocket testing.

Old Titan set also included Mk4(?) RV, which was configured as a science part (atmo test, IIRC). Mysteriously, it didn't make it into revamp.

IIRC, it was purposely left out. Cobalt or Zorg gave a reason, but I have forgotten, and I don't want to go searching through 1300 pages to find it lol. 

Edited by GoldForest

7 hours ago, Rodger said:

I don't think either of those have been depreciated? Some very old antennas which had been hidden for a while were removed, but no Apollo crew modules have gone.

That's strange, my craft files are bugging out because KSP can't find those two parts. Were they renamed maybe?

17 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

That's strange, my craft files are bugging out because KSP can't find those two parts. Were they renamed maybe?

Shouldn’t have been, we don’t even rename parts that get depreciated. I can double check if you get me the exact part names though. My best guess might be a download error, maybe a file corruption. I’d recommend using Github Desktop or other git client to download frequent dev branch updates, I have heard of download failures before when people just download the zip from GH directly. It also saves a lot of download data/time to update when you can just sync the changes instead.

Edited by Rodger

33 minutes ago, Rodger said:

Shouldn’t have been, we don’t even rename parts that get depreciated. I can double check if you get me the exact part names though. My best guess might be a download error, maybe a file corruption. I’d recommend using Github Desktop or other git client to download frequent dev branch updates, I have heard of download failures before when people just download the zip from GH directly. It also saves a lot of download data/time to update when you can just sync the changes instead.

Strange, I just tried to reinstall by that method and it's still occurring. The missing parts are bluedog.Apollo.RCML and bluedog.Viking.Orbiter.highGainAntenna

23 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

Strange, I just tried to reinstall by that method and it's still occurring. The missing parts are bluedog.Apollo.RCML and bluedog.Viking.Orbiter.highGainAntenna

You may have accidentally installed the main branch instead of dev? 

On 6/30/2024 at 9:29 PM, harveylates said:

nvm

i have a suggestion add the upper stage boiler plate that was flown on the first 4 saturn 1 launches

SA-1_LO.jpg

Hello! To answer your question, I thought I would post pics of my Saturn I Block 1 rockets. Building these is relatively easy, but you have to go outside of BDB to get the right parts. I used a combination of BDB and Stock/Restock parts and Tweakscale to build these. If you are new to KSP you will be amazed at what you can build if you have the right parts mods!

o4zlsqd.jpeg

This represents Saturn I flights SA-1, 2, and 3. I usually short fuel the first stage in order to get semi-realistic historical flight performance. The top two parts are Stock/Restock, the middle cone is actually the BDB Soltan nose cone. The rest are BDB parts with a fairing to represent the tapered portion above the first stage.

nq3zVTw.jpeg

This is flight SA-4. The "2nd stage" tank is the same one used for the S-IV stage, just with the white paint scheme. I put on some ullage motors and retro rockets to get close to the historical configuration. The upper parts are the same as the SA-1 version. Play around with the parts and you will get it!

By the way, if you use a lot of parts mods like I do, I can highly recommend the mod Janitor's Closet. It allows you to filter out the parts that you don't want to see in the VAB, without actually deleting them. The mod really helps to sort through the thousands of parts that I have in my VAB. It is invaluable.

Edited by DaveyJ576
Small edit

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

IIRC, it was purposely left out. Cobalt or Zorg gave a reason, but I have forgotten, and I don't want to go searching through 1300 pages to find it lol. 

I didn't really like people doing recreations of actual nuclear strikes with them. The Titan 2 RV was included because it looked so cool and I made it into a small launch vehicle (with a STAR-37 or similar stuffed in there)

55 minutes ago, Rodger said:

You may have accidentally installed the main branch instead of dev? 

The way my mouth opened when I read that and everything suddenly made sense

Added Neptune Camera support to the relevant X-15 parts. Also working on adding the 'bugeye' cameras that were mounted early in the X-15 program, sorry but I forgot to grab a pic.

KSC as seen through one of the belly mapping cameras.

niZgv1y.png

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I didn't really like people doing recreations of actual nuclear strikes with them. The Titan 2 RV was included because it looked so cool and I made it into a small launch vehicle (with a STAR-37 or similar stuffed in there)

I'm sure you could make the other RVs into science only variants if you tried.

But yeah, I can understand your reason. 

20 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

At the Time you were building those rocket sets, there was a HUGE war-gaming community thanks to a modder creating a multiplayer air combat setup for KSP.    I won't name names.    People were grabbing mods and kitbashing nukes like crazy, thinking it was cool.    Nuclear warfare is **NOT COOL**!  

I get the why... But I do miss my Titan I MkIV RV that I "hacked" equipped with DMagic's Impact science experiment!    That got me through so much of the Science grind in that mid-career point (when you need 90 science to unlock the nodes.)     When it didn't just disappear due to Kraken.     GEM40 and 46 were great launchers for it near KSP.  

Unrelated  @Rodger   Thanks for fixing the LDC tagging,  I started Writing up a PR this Morning when I saw the e-mail!   I think I would have missed  a part too!

20 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

KSC as seen through one of the belly mapping cameras.

niZgv1y.png

Love this!

15 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I'm sure you could make the other RVs into science only variants if you tried.

But yeah, I can understand your reason. 

While you are right.   Someone else can turn it into (as close as possible) nearly functional Nuke by the same method.  

Also remember the RVs are quite heavy. 

I have taken to using the Mass simulator mod that LGG maintains when I want to use something for impact science now-a-days.   It actually survives better (the Kraken doesn't eat it as often.)   Although that could be conformational Bias.

https://spacedock.info/mod/386/Kerbal NRAP - Procedural Test Weights

Edited by Pappystein

9 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Reasonable facsimiles of the re-entry vehicles can be kitbashed. I have designed all of mine with parachutes so that they can be recovered at end of flight. Adding in a science payload is easy.

I just used rescaled airbrakes :D   slow it down enough that it doesn't insta-sploodie

Which reminds me I need to see if I still have a copy of the rescaled airbrakes or if I have to make a new patch!

Edited by Pappystein

7 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Which reminds me I need to see if I still have a copy of the rescaled airbrakes or if I have to make a new patch!

Your response has prompted me to ask a question that I don't know the answer to.

I have made several very small modifications that change a few characteristics of certain parts. However, what I did was actually change the .cfg file. I understand that that could have some negative consequences, but so far everything works fine. What I would like to do is actually write a standalone MM patch that makes the same change, but I don't know how to format it. As an example, I made some changes to the Saturn I 1st stage tank that adds a B9 part switch for a lighter Saturn IB variant (no offense @CobaltWolf!).

uwtnaJV.jpeg

It works great, but I would like to make a standalone MM patch rather than having to load the whole modified .cfg file each time I load the new version of the Dev branch. How do I format the patch file, and where should I drop it in the GameData folder?

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

It works great, but I would like to make a standalone MM patch rather than having to load the whole modified .cfg file each time I load the new version of the Dev branch. How do I format the patch file, and where should I drop it in the GameData folder?

Thanks!

For a personal patch, you'd do the following:

@PART[bluedog_Saturn_S1_Tanks]:FINAL
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleB9PartSwitch
		moduleID = typeSwitch
		switcherDescription = Type
		switcherDescriptionPlural = Types
		affectDragCubes = False
		affectFARVoxels = False
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = Saturn SI
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = Saturn SIB
			addedMass = -4
		}
	}
}

And save as a .cfg anywhere in GameData. I'd recommend having your own folder for custom patches to keep track of them.

@ means edit, PART[part name] targets the part you want to edit, and :FINAL means it's applied at the end of patching. Then anything inside will just get added to the part. You could also edit existing modules, or even particular subtypes, but if you just want to add a new module this will work.

On 6/30/2024 at 8:38 PM, Pappystein said:

The Boilerplate S-V stage was just a Centaur Tank with no insulation or engines, or guidance.   IF you want to directly replicate it just put a centaur tank (engine mouunt as well) and use the fuel switcher to switch to water.

How do you get water as fuel switch?

48 minutes ago, Zyfle said:

How do you get water as fuel switch?

Sorry, I realize now that not every part has just straight water.  
I am running Cryotanks (Nertea) and a few other mods that may have added a straight water option to some of my tanks.

4 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Your response has prompted me to ask a question that I don't know the answer to.

I have made several very small modifications that change a few characteristics of certain parts. However, what I did was actually change the .cfg file. I understand that that could have some negative consequences, but so far everything works fine. What I would like to do is actually write a standalone MM patch that makes the same change, but I don't know how to format it. As an example, I made some changes to the Saturn I 1st stage tank that adds a B9 part switch for a lighter Saturn IB variant (no offense @CobaltWolf!).

uwtnaJV.jpeg

Thanks!

Roger already has you sorted out.
However, if you do +PART instead of @PART you create a copy as a NEW part.  You do have to have a new name and description, however.

3 hours ago, Rodger said:

For a personal patch, you'd do the following:

@PART[bluedog_Saturn_S1_Tanks]:FINAL
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleB9PartSwitch
		moduleID = typeSwitch
		switcherDescription = Type
		switcherDescriptionPlural = Types
		affectDragCubes = False
		affectFARVoxels = False
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = Saturn SI
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = Saturn SIB
			addedMass = -4
		}
	}
}

And save as a .cfg anywhere in GameData. I'd recommend having your own folder for custom patches to keep track of them.

@ means edit, PART[part name] targets the part you want to edit, and :FINAL means it's applied at the end of patching. Then anything inside will just get added to the part. You could also edit existing modules, or even particular subtypes, but if you just want to add a new module this will work.

Thank you! That is a big help. Will write up my patches right away. 

25 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Sorry, I realize now that not every part has just straight water.  
I am running Cryotanks (Nertea) and a few other mods that may have added a straight water option to some of my tanks.

Definitely not CryoTanks. Perhaps RationalResources

11 hours ago, Birdman31 said:

Just a question, are you guys planning to add any of the re-entry vehicles Atlas missiles used? like the one for the Titan?
uvVMs3d.png

I've added the Atlas A nose cone which was not an RV just an aero nose cone probably with some instrumentation like pitot tubes. Functionally it has the optional lead ballast tank.

Cobalt has outlined why we are generally hesitant to add warhead parts. I dont judge people who are into all that and I do play some milsims myself but when it comes to KSP I like the "purer" more innocent spirit KSP and Kerbals represent for me. That said the mk II RV has a nice shape and was mostly a research vehicle. That part is a maybe and I might do it like the Titan II cone or as an atmospheric probe if I do go ahead. I have no interest in the mk3 and mk4 RVs though (pictured is a mk3 I think).

Edited by Zorg