[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.14.0 "металл" 30/Sep/2024)

CobaltWolf

41 minutes ago, Cdw2468 said:

Great job with this mission, I'll have to try out your setup! What mod did you use for the 2x Solar system and is it for 1.1.2?

I just used Sigma dimensions and rescaled the bodies and distances to 2 times. And yes, it technically is 1.1.2 compatible.

Edited by awsumindyman
Posted on mobile. 'nuff said

Gemini-Titan uncrewed suborbital test flight.

Spoiler

SlVlppd.png

Launch going well, except for a slight issue where the umbilical arms were revealed to have broken away before launch and nearly scraped against the side of the vehicle during the initial moments of launch.

tWjhjVm.png

Jettison of second stage. The final trajectory spans the entirety of the Atlantic Ocean, from Florida to the coast of Africa.

e3GNyVn.png

Translation, rotation, and maneuverability with and without RCS was tested during the two or three minutes the craft was in space.

14hRQ7c.png

Descent over the Azores. I noticed the craft doesn't display an ablator meter, but the manual says that the heatshield is supposed to be integrated with the command pod. Is the manual outdated or does the pod's right click menu just not display ablator for some reason? The craft survived, but if I ever decide to take this thing on a lunar flight I want to make sure it can survive reentry coming home.

kW0my2F.png

Descent under parachute. It sure would be cool if someone could find a way to get the capsule to use a two point suspension like the real Gemini.

KWW2gkO.png

Awaiting recovery. I guess another thing that bugs me is how the capsule naturally wants to sit upright when it should be lying down like I have it in the screenshot. Oh well, I can understand how difficult it would be to get it to look like that and still fly well.

Not sure what I'm gonna do next. I guess this puts me up to 1964-65, but I still need to do Mariner 2 and maybe a few satellites (especially if I plan on updating this install to 1.2)

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

I actually didn't, I was trying to figure out what engines you used for the descent stage. They've been on the roadmap for a while now tho... :P

Either the Hunter or the Seeker, whichever has the highest Isp/lowest thrust.

31 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Gemini-Titan uncrewed suborbital test flight.

Hide contents

SlVlppd.png

Launch going well, except for a slight issue where the umbilical arms were revealed to have broken away before launch and nearly scraped against the side of the vehicle during the initial moments of launch.

tWjhjVm.png

Jettison of second stage. The final trajectory spans the entirety of the Atlantic Ocean, from Florida to the coast of Africa.

e3GNyVn.png

Translation, rotation, and maneuverability with and without RCS was tested during the two or three minutes the craft was in space.

14hRQ7c.png

Descent over the Azores. I noticed the craft doesn't display an ablator meter, but the manual says that the heatshield is supposed to be integrated with the command pod. Is the manual outdated or does the pod's right click menu just not display ablator for some reason? The craft survived, but if I ever decide to take this thing on a lunar flight I want to make sure it can survive reentry coming home.

kW0my2F.png

Descent under parachute. It sure would be cool if someone could find a way to get the capsule to use a two point suspension like the real Gemini.

KWW2gkO.png

Awaiting recovery. I guess another thing that bugs me is how the capsule naturally wants to sit upright when it should be lying down like I have it in the screenshot. Oh well, I can understand how difficult it would be to get it to look like that and still fly well.

Not sure what I'm gonna do next. I guess this puts me up to 1964-65, but I still need to do Mariner 2 and maybe a few satellites (especially if I plan on updating this install to 1.2)

Hrmm, I know @Jso fiddled with Mercury to make it float correctly. I don't know if he did it for the Gemini. Buoyancy can be offset and controlled after 1.0.5. The heatshield was separated in the last release for a number of reasons, the manual just needs to be updated... helping @DiscoSlelge update that will be a chore after this update haha.

22 minutes ago, awsumindyman said:

Either the Hunter or the Seeker, whichever has the highest Isp/lowest thrust.

Hunter. I've never seen anyone use either of them, I usually forget they're in the mod. They'll be more useful once Atlas-Vega is available, since the Seeker is supposed to be the optional 3rd stage.

@Drakenex I've updated the OP link. Prolly should leave out the Saturn 1B for now, but there are plenty of other LVs that you can build which aren't covered. :)

Edited by CobaltWolf

10 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

So Ive been reading, is this mod best used with CryoEngines? Because Ive not been doing that. I should probably do that... right?

Yes. It's near impossible to balance Saturn (with the big cryo upper stages) with stock fuel tank ratios. Cryogenic tanks are just so much lighter (due to the much less dense fuel), nevermind how much mass we have to add for structure.

NOTICE

So, right now - the Saturn 1B and Saturn V have too much deltaV with normal fuel/mass/volume ratios. However, their TWR is too low - because they're overfueled. What we're probably going to do, is reduce the default fuel amounts in the tanks, while leaving the max fuel amounts alone. That way, when you just try and build a Saturn, it flies fine, but then if you want, you can increase the fuel loading. Deal?

9 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

NOTICE

So, right now - the Saturn 1B and Saturn V have too much deltaV with normal fuel/mass/volume ratios. However, their TWR is too low - because they're overfueled. What we're probably going to do, is reduce the default fuel amounts in the tanks, while leaving the max fuel amounts alone. That way, when you just try and build a Saturn, it flies fine, but then if you want, you can increase the fuel loading. Deal?

So... what youre saying is strap some SRBs to that sucker and fill the tanks to the brim? Got it. :P

32 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Hrmm, I know @Jso fiddled with Mercury to make it float correctly. I don't know if he did it for the Gemini. Buoyancy can be offset and controlled after 1.0.5. The heatshield was separated in the last release for a number of reasons, the manual just needs to be updated... helping @DiscoSlelge update that will be a chore after this update haha.

Hunter. I've never seen anyone use either of them, I usually forget they're in the mod. They'll be more useful once Atlas-Vega is available, since the Seeker is supposed to be the optional 3rd stage.

The gemini in the current dev edition certainly should lay down properly... It was the last time I tried. @pTrevTrevs, which download were you using? It might have been a bit out of date/in between tweaks.

As for the Hunter/Seeker, I have used both in various designs, but they never did anything super awesome-screenshot-like though. I will make sure to get some decent shots the next time they fly :) (They go really well with @Angel-125's interstage adaptors, at least visually.)

It was some mid tech franken-rocket, though, if I recall... something like Thor first stage, redstone second, hunter upper. But it was cheap and worked well, sooooo...

Edited by komodo

31 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

So... what youre saying is strap some SRBs to that sucker and fill the tanks to the brim? Got it. :P

Or just use Cryogenic Engines. That mod adds so much to the game for how small it is and the engines are gorgeous, there's no reason not to.

Edited by PickledTripod
typo

11 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

btw, some of the uprated Saturn V proposals used interim 156inch SRBs... maybe I'll have to make 2.5m SRBs? :wink:

If you do that I really won't have any use for SpaceY anymore. Good riddance honestly, NecroBone's models and textures are subpar compared to what other modders have made in the last year and he doesn't seems to be willing to rework them.

2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

b-bu-but muh 1.2 prerelease!

Not until the mods I use all work with it, including all of Nertea's stuff.