[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.14.0 "металл" 30/Sep/2024)

CobaltWolf

@Pappystein You're Pe is too high for Saturn. You should aim for 100 km, then raise it in orbit, for all orbits using low twr rockets. Also  yeah, you're pitch and turn speed are off too.

100 m/s at 0.3 for low twr like Saturn. (Anything between 1.0 to 1.25 twr)

75 m/s at 0.4 degrees for medium-ish twr, or if you want to play it safe. (About 1.25 to 1.4 twr.)

50 m/s at 0.5 degrees for high twr. (Anything over 1.4 twr)

I think that's your major problem. You're turning too soon, and you're forcing Mechjeb to turn at such a slow rate at 0.25 degrees a second. It can't keep up with the gravity turn and thus the aerodynamic forces become too much for it, causing it to flip head over heels. 

Edited by GoldForest

13 hours ago, GoldForest said:

@Pappystein You're Pe is too high for Saturn. You should aim for 100 km, then raise it in orbit, for all orbits using low twr rockets. Also  yeah, you're pitch and turn speed are off too.

75 m/s at 0.4 degrees for medium-ish twr, or if you want to play it safe. (About 1.25 to 1.4 twr.)

I think that's your major problem. You're turning too soon, and you're forcing Mechjeb to turn at such a slow rate at 0.25 degrees a second. It can't keep up with the gravity turn and thus the aerodynamic forces become too much for it, causing it to flip head over heels. 

**THANKS** 

need to pin this exact statement to somewhere public here :D  For all those PVG haters :D

Also, just a FWIW, I down-turned the Turn angle to 0.25 based on feedback from others... I was leaving it at 1(default)  on previous flights.   This was my attempt to learn how to do it and the slight changes suggested by you and those before you in the posts are making sense to me

So for everyone commenting on this  A Big thank you.  Now I have to re-re-create my International Peace Station because Habtech Dev just deleted/renamed one of the core parts I had on it (my entire station went... poof)   Sometimes playing with Dev versions is DANGEROUS :D

ianpYcL.jpg

International Peace Station Tug (RIP)

zq8LY7O.jpg

And the International Peace Station in the background shortly before it's destruction!

OV1 stuff on github but in very early state. The ARS side pod (and derived dual nose pod) are done but the regular fairing is still pending.

The probes dont have reaction wheels or rcs but OV1-10 has a weak reaction wheel in the magnetometer to represent gravity gradient stabilisation. It also needs the opposing boom on the other side to function (science wise that is). uh I'll write a bit more on these parts later but its late now :P

zAFZvnj.png

WjHRdvx.png

P4wUUpO.png

75GmtlR.png

XSdt9J7.png

H8HojuX.png

Fo5krfP.png

6Vf3EZM.png

32SsxUa.png

HncfdDj.png

3i1dDGn.png

yNVMyFk.png

Edited by Zorg

2 hours ago, Taco Salad said:

The OV-1 partset is gonna be KILLER for making some great space torpedoes and the like.

Great for blasting the inyalowda fleets barging into da belt 

Edited by BSS_Snag
remove bad image link

Alright so OV1

Originally intended to be piggy backed on ABRES suborbital test launches, the Atlas Retained Structure side mount pod was to be used. I was in a rush and forgot but these would have been Atlas D launches. After a couple of launches they moved to dedicated launches and the dual ARS nose pod was made. Some launches used a Scientific Passenger Pod (which is still pending) while one combined side mount ARS with the dual nose pod. A couple of others just used the dual nose pod by itself.

https://space.skyrocket.de/doc_lau_det/atlas-d_ov1.htm

Subsequently it moved to Atlas E/F and used a regular fairing with either a 2x or 3x payload adapter. This fairing will be made soon.

https://space.skyrocket.de/doc_lau_det/atlas-ef_ov1.htm

I've pushed an update changing the OV1-1 experiment and all the parts should now be in the Basic Science tier tech wise. I think its in a generally usable state now. I will also be updating the propulsion kit model shortly with posigrade thrusters based on new information. Right now they only have side facing thrusters for roll, pitch and yaw.

Edited by Zorg

18 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

@Pappystein Have you thought about applying your hypergolic patch to other mods, like, say, Benjee's SOCK/ACK?

I have, 

The problem is, most mods do not support "Extras" Like BDB does.  So it would become "my own" mod.  Which is cool but easily becomes unmanagable.

Also, for a lot of people utilizing AZ50/NTO on things that don't use AZ50/NTO is reality breaking.   I know, it is a game but some people..... :D

Places I have CONSIDERED doing things:

Tantares,

SOCKS/ArCK
Cormorant Aero
Alcentar's now unsupported Shuttle mods
Tantares

Just to name a few

But in each case, I decided not to do it because of the above reason.  I would rather it be an optional patch for the core mod, that way so long as the core mod is being updated, there is a WAY to get it fixed.

BDB is a must-have for me. Of my 1200 hours in KSP i'd say 800 of those have been with BDB stuff. It's so pretty too.

Anyway this has been my desktop wallpaper for at least a year and a half now. I forget which exact mission i was doing. (I just name them silly things and don't try to recreate anything real-world, but I think this might have been Ikarus 11)a3f9a1246ad43971b91e6e68c5f35cb25ba365ea

16 hours ago, Zorg said:

I will also be updating the propulsion kit model shortly with posigrade thrusters based on new information. Right now they only have side facing thrusters for roll, pitch and yaw.

A small QoL\lego request: B9 variant for "generic" propulsion kit - without the OV-1 "bucket", leaving flat top like on Burner 2.

small feature request btw, if it's a headache it's not a dealbreaker.

I love using the atlas tanks. Use 'em everywhere, especially on landers. does it make sense? no, but they're pretty. any chance of a future update adding textures unlimited support to them so they get all shiny like the kane/apollo capsules?

28 minutes ago, Kellanium said:

I love using the atlas tanks. Use 'em everywhere, especially on landers. does it make sense? no, but they're pretty. any chance of a future update adding textures unlimited support to them so they get all shiny like the kane/apollo capsules?

This is planned, but they're holding off until all the Atlas parts are done, iirc. TU support will be the very last thing done to Atlas parts. 

Edited by GoldForest

27 minutes ago, Kellanium said:

https://github.com/Bellabong/Barking-Owl-Bureau/releases/tag/2.0

I think it only applies to the old/current Atlas parts however, not the upcoming/dev branch Atlas revamp.

15 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

This is planned, but they're holding off until all the Atlas parts are done, iirc. TU support will be the very last thing done to Atlas parts. 

Good to know! Sorry, new to the forums.

On 7/16/2024 at 6:47 PM, GoldForest said:

After trying this, I think you've converted me to the Church of Primer Vector Guidance

1 minute ago, tmccreight651 said:

Ok, I recently had to reinstall all my mods and now the BDB parts that previously used NTO/N2O4 no longer have that option. I installed BDB and it's dependancies via CKAN so im not sure what im missing.

Did you install the Extra's folder? Specifically "Bluedog_DB_extras"? And is it in your gamedata folder or did you put it inside the Bluedog folder? 

The Bluedog_DB_extras folder should be in the KSP gamedata folder, as there are a few things inside the extra folder that need the specific folder hierarchy. 

52 minutes ago, tmccreight651 said:

Ok, I recently had to reinstall all my mods and now the BDB parts that previously used NTO/N2O4 no longer have that option. I installed BDB and it's dependancies via CKAN so im not sure what im missing.

The only patch we provide for hypergolic fuel switches in the optional patches uses AZ50/NTO, so you probably had some other mod that was changing it.

52 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Did you install the Extra's folder? Specifically "Bluedog_DB_extras"? And is it in your gamedata folder or did you put it inside the Bluedog folder?

You probably don't want to install *all* of the extras folder too. You should go though it and pick the ones you actually want lol

8 hours ago, tmccreight651 said:

For those not in the know,  NTO IS N2O4.  Di-Nitrogen Tetroxide.  

As mentioned there is the AZ50/NTO patch in BDB_Extras/Pafftek/

Otherwise as also mentioned there are other mods that also add this functionality.  But the Patch in BDB_Extras, is specific to BDB.

Well!!! tried the new OV-1 parts, they look amazing!

As a happy coincidence I was also playing with the PVG settings so tried the settings @GoldForest gave. Used an Atlas-D and only the "nose" pod in a suborbital trajectory.

RenQm3g.png

The skirt sep is always nice but it seemed a bit jerky this time but the verniers corrected any weird movements properly.

OhJ8keM.png

PVG wordked like a charm, got a 200 x 40 km trajectory. Still had 800 m/s to spare.

vDHpzob.png

Separating both satellites

3hSP2ZK.png

Kickstage GO! using an ABL-248 got a 200 km* 2200 km orbit ! 

dtRrF5L.png

All this new Atlas stuff is amazing. Let Zorg cook!
7XGsFhHdbFeQMIbR9T.webp

On 7/19/2024 at 11:10 AM, Kellanium said:

This is planned in the not too distant future.