Should Squad add fuel pipes to stock?

Should Squad add fuel pipes to stock?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Should Squad add fuel pipes to stock?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care

Poll says it all... should Squad add fuel pipes to stock?

with the addition of mining and ISRU, using the klaw seems like an unrealistic method to connect vehicles to transfer fuel. Do you think fuel pipes, similar to what KAS has, would be a great addition to the stock game?

thanks!

Edited by Vanamonde
spelling

Yes they should be stock, as mentioned many times before. The claw works for this, and is better than nothing, but is far from a decent solution.

I seem to recall a comment from a Dev a while ago that implementation could be tricky to make it work and look good. Something about the complex collision dynamics of flexible hoses etc IIRC.

I think transfering fuel through the claw is unrealistic and unnecessary. Shouldn't be allowed. It might be good for grabbing asteroids, but you would never want to bite into a fuel tank with it.

I would also love to have other things from KIS and KAS in stock. Using the tools and carrying small pieces in the backpack is great and helpful. Assembling trusses in orbit would also be an amazing thing to do. It's been done to ISS (if I'm not mistaken), so I don't see any reason why shouldn't it be possible in the game.

EDIT: Talking about this:

ISS_Truss_structure.jpg

Edited by Veeltch

I don't think fuel pipes per se need to be stock, but there needs to be a better way for two landed vessels to transfer resources.

I'd personally be totally fine with having it abstracted away, into a menu option somewhere (Say, the toolbar, or the resources... thingy*), where you can - if landed - transfer resources to nearby - also landed - ships.

I'm not voting, as I don't think it needs to be pipes, think something needs added, and very much do care :)

*What are those things called? Widgets? Screens? UI Elements?

DMagic's EVA Resource Transfer is a pretty slick implementation of a simple system. Reuses stock art assets, requires an EVA kerbal to make the connection, and most importantly does not join the ships into one (this will be particularly important if 1.1's multithreading is one thread per ship as many expect). Such a system would be a good fit for stock if something as sophisticated as KAS/KIS is not desired for whatever reason.

I haven't cared much since the Claw provides a method to do it, but, agree with others that it's unrealistic to claw into fuel tanks to transfer resources. Casting my vote with 5th that some other method would be nice, not necessarily pipes. (UI widget or panel is a fair term. A UI element is a discrete thing like a button or text label.)

How does this workflow sound: two craft approach within 1m, hold relative velocity 0.0 m/s for at least 5 seconds. Add to the navball control panel a "transfer possible" green light. Right-click on adjacent craft parts, to initiate transfers. For career mode I think this should be an Engineer ability or require an appropriate level probe core on one of the craft.

The fact they gave us mining but no pipes like kas for example was a (blunt alert) stupid move showing little to no forethought. They went 20.2 miles and said good enough. It's half baked what they did. They need to make KAS stock and call it a day.

using the claw for more than yanking sky boulders around is just begging the kraken to strike

Lately Squad doesn't seem interested in simple. For example, look at anything being added by Roverdude

Credit to Roverdude, a lesser human couldn't have persuaded them. The man is a human dynamo. Where does he get the time and energy?

What if the start point was a fixed nozzle part you added in the VAB? Right click on it with an engineer on EVA and you could stretch it and plug it into another craft? That way the part would add a defined weight to the craft for balance.

actually, it would be a small detail that makes the game better, because we can go into space and into orbit carrying 20 tons, why not carry a hose from the space station to another ship ?. I vote to add a pipe / hose into the game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.