Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

9 hours ago, TopHeavy11 said:

I was reading Star Trek (yes, someone adapted some episodes into reader form) and I just realized that you stole the Kerbulans from the episode "Mirror, Mirror," where everything is reversed. Starfleet's morals, the morals of the crew, the savage behavior and ranking up thru assassination...I could go on and on.

Allegedly stole.

My client makes no admission of guilt when he says

8 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Next you'll say I ripped off Airplane! and Robert Frost! And A Few Good Men!

And while all that's going on, here are a few more pages I stole made.

Please cease and desist from this libel, or we will have to proceed with legal action.

One pronunciation kerfuffle at a time! For now let's see if Valiant Val can indeed land in the vale on Vall,  or if they'll all just wake up in Valhalla...

WwpHbwz.png

WIwMkEF.png

Icu3FqS.png

...three moons down, two to go! :D Val departed the ship with full tanks and landed with the reserves (1/3 of total) still locked out, so that means I should be able to shuttle a bunch of fuel and oxidant back to the ship if I decide I really want to grind that out. But most likely I will just hop to all the biomes and look for a full refuel at Bop. Skimmeroo isn't ISRU equipped and I want to have enough oxidant for multiple landings/ascents on Laythe.

Edited by Kuzzter

Why do wheels go squeak in a vacuum? Answer they don't. The wheels are not squeaking. A mouse snuck aboard the Intrepid, then was aboard the Qwammer when it left for Vall. During landing it squeaked, which because of the atmosphere in the ship made a noise. Because the fourth wall was so close to the ship when the landing happened (you were zoomed in) we heard it. Because it was a comic, it made a squeak. Or Kuzzter just put the text there when he was working on it on PowerPoint. 

Also, I can't see it again. WiFi. ;.; 

5 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Nice! You've got an emergency fuel stop at Val. Er, Vall.

Too bad Val didn't go to Vall to see the Vallenhedge because Val likes Vall.

8 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I wonder if Bill did any field retrofits while the Qwammer was aboard... :)

I thought about it, but no; if he'd had done anything I would have shown it on-page. But don't worry, in Vall's low gravity we may find some interesting ways to abuse physics with the stock wheels--we'll see :) 

@Kuzzter I really like the shot when you caught Clauselle nervously glancing out the window. Also, Clauselle is starting to become my favorite character in the story.

10 hours ago, Dman979 said:

That means that the Kerbulans are meeting the Kerbals SoonTM.

[Reaction image "Soon, very soon"]

Edited by Deddly

19 hours ago, max_creative said:

Why do wheels go squeak in a vacuum? Answer they don't.

They do. For several reasons.

During a powered descent, there's a lot of exhaust fumes that create a light atmosphere of fumes around the vessel when it lands. So the gases could transport the sound.

Gases aren't the only thing which carry on sound. Solids do as well. As the camera taking that shot was mounted to the surface of Val, the lithosphere forwarded the sound to the camera.

Alternatively, the camera was mounted to the vessel and hence the vessel itself did transport the sound.

Also, accelerated masses produce gravitational waves which frequency is in the audible regime. So, landing there, the camera microphone was attached to a GW detector which detected the signal and converted it to a sound which was detected by the microphone.

Likewise, you could convert the seismic activity of the landing on Vall to a sound via an integrated microphone.

Finally, there is no evidence that "*squeek*" was actually referring to a sound. It probably is an odd terrain glitch...

21 hours ago, max_creative said:

The wheels are not squeaking. A mouse snuck aboard the Intrepid, then was aboard the Qwammer when it left for Vall. During landing it squeaked, which because of the atmosphere in the ship made a noise.

Intriguing.

1 hour ago, something said:

During a powered descent, there's a lot of exhaust fumes that create a light atmosphere of fumes around the vessel when it lands. So the gases could transport the sound.

Gases aren't the only thing which carry on sound. Solids do as well. As the camera taking that shot was mounted to the surface of Val, the lithosphere forwarded the sound to the camera.

Uh huhh... ok, go on...

1 hour ago, something said:

Also, accelerated masses produce gravitational waves which frequency is in the audible regime. So, landing there, the camera microphone was attached to a GW detector which detected the signal and converted it to a sound which was detected by the microphone.

Hm. HMMMMM!!!

40 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Obviousl the wheels have contact sensors in them, like the Apollo landing legs. When they touch down, they give an aural cue, so the pilot knows when to cut the throttle.

These are all really great explanations. I think I'm going to go with the "scared mouse in the wheel well" option. It'll become canon as soon as I can learn to draw a good one in Powerpoint.

15 hours ago, Wildcat111 said:

@Kuzzter I really like the shot when you caught Clauselle nervously glancing out the window. Also, Clauselle is starting to become my favorite character in the story.

19 hours ago, Dman979 said:

And nice landing, Kuzzter. Has Clauselle always been this nauseous, or is it just because she'll be eating prepackaged rations?

I get a lot of my characterizations from the in-game visual cues, which of course come from the "smart" and "brave" stats, along with the "BadS" flag. Clauselle is definitely both "smart" and "not-brave". I wouldn't call it nausea, though, or as she would say mal d'espace, but a more general and reasonable feeling that she might become scattered over the landscape. Lisa on the other hand looked to me as though she was going to hurl from the first moment I put her in a cockpit alongside Jeb :) 

As to the rations aboard Qwammer, we'll see about that. And I wonder who's doing the cooking on Intrepid for the next few days?

22 hours ago, max_creative said:

Why do wheels go squeak in a vacuum? Answer they don't. The wheels are not squeaking. A mouse snuck aboard the Intrepid, then was aboard the Qwammer when it left for Vall. During landing it squeaked, which because of the atmosphere in the ship made a noise. Because the fourth wall was so close to the ship when the landing happened (you were zoomed in) we heard it. Because it was a comic, it made a squeak. 

I think I like this mouse stowaway theory. It has a very KSP feel to it, with just a little Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy thrown in for good measure... :wink:

Another possible explanation for the squeek. 

It's a safety precaution.

Kerbfleet Engineering Regulations mandate that the primary narrativium vents must be routed via the wheel bays to allow prompt grounding of the plot in the event of a story overload cycle. The *squeek* is merely the sound of escaping narrativium.

See also: Plotivium overpressure vessels and Fourth Wall autostruts.

Just now, KSK said:

narrativium

Conservation of Narrativitum is the physical principle behind a lot of other stuff you see in the comic, such as the law that ships travel "at the speed of plot" and the curious and selective behavior of certain communication systems. Some Kerbfleet physicists believe it's the mostly opaque, usually solid material that composes the "fourth wall" suggested in certain theoretical models.

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

These are all really great explanations. I think I'm going to go with the "scared mouse in the wheel well" option. It'll become canon as soon as I can learn to draw a good one in Powerpoint.

As to the rations aboard Qwammer, we'll see about that. And I wonder who's doing the cooking on Intrepid for the next few days?

Maybe it was a computer mouse! Except computer mice go click when you click on them. They don't go squeak at all... 

29 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I think I like this mouse stowaway theory. It has a very KSP feel to it, with just a little Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy thrown in for good measure... :wink:

How DID the mouse get in there? Maybe Gus put it in? Actually, Kerbals don't use Clean Rooms for spacecraft, so it probably was just living in the VAB. I hope- 

max_creative Bill: AAAAAAAA!!! ABORT THE MINMUS LANDING!!! THERE IS A BUNCH OF MICE IN THE WHEELS!!! 

-that this doesn't happen again.

max_creative Bob: I'm sending a complaint to LightYear Tire Company! 

max_creative Bill: THERE ARE SO MANY MICE!!! HOW DID THEY GET ON THIS SHIP?!?

18 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Conservation of Narrativitum is the physical principle behind a lot of other stuff you see in the comic, such as the law that ships travel "at the speed of plot" and the curious and selective behavior of certain communication systems. Some Kerbfleet physicists believe it's the mostly opaque, usually solid material that composes the "fourth wall" suggested in certain theoretical models.

Some theroists also believe that it can be altered through presistance file editing, however that information is limited strictly to Bob, who is currently at Jool.

Also, congrats on 10,000 rep!