Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

That was amazing!

Excellent bit with Nimzo and Sarge.  Thanks for the laugh.

But, I have to say, that was amazing!  Did I say that already?

Very impressive flying.  My compliments to you and the entire crew of the Intrepid.

I also thank you for the excellent visuals of Kerbfleet fans' favourite ship!

Amazing landing!

25 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

And now, without further commercial interruption--the attempted landing on Minmus, to its thrilling conclusion!

I like the part where Nimzo was duct-taped to the chair. :)

1 hour ago, kunok said:

Only 4 set of wheels? I was expecting a lot more

If I were planning to land the ship anywhere with gravity stronger than 0.5 m/s2, I probably would have a few more :) 

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

Very impressive flying.  My compliments to you and the entire crew of the Intrepid.

Thank you! Those two minutes of landing were some of the toughest hours of my career. :) 

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

Great job! I did notice a typo in panel 1, page 2. Not sure if it's intentional or not.

So, ready for the year to refuel this baby?

You mean, what Kooty Lenlie said? I'll have a talk with him later. :) 

I don't think it'll take nearly that long to refuel. Bill in the Qwammer, converted a net ~5 tons per hour, after losses for running fuel cells. And now we have all the Qwammer's equipment, plus six more drills and a second ISRU, powered by the nuclear reactors so no losses for fuel cells. I'm thinking we'll be filled up and ready to lift off in a week or two. Will try to come up with some good surface shenanigans to entertain us all while we're waiting :) 

Fortunately for the entire operation, Kenlie has so far managed to get the numbers right. Would be amusing (and potentially fatal) if he accidentally mixed up numbers like he does letters in words.

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Well, if you were one of those who said it couldn't be done--turns out, it could :) 

I wasn't, but I'm still quite impressed.  Well done all hands!  Splice the main brace!  Fire the guns in salute!

Oh, and I liked Nimzo's seat belt :D

Edited by Geschosskopf

Wow.....  That was a magnificent landing!  And scary!  I think my hands were shaking a little as I scrolled down reading it!

Oh, and for reference, Emiko Asteroid (not counting the station) is a Class-E, just over 3,000 ton, and aprox 100 meters (best guess) in diameter.

3 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I wasn't, but I'm still quite impressed.  Well done all hands!  Splice the main brace!

2 hours ago, KSK said:

I believe the sun is well and truly over the yardarm, Captin!

Oh yes, there'll definitely be a bit of 'shore leave' and elective fuels production in the ISRU. :D 

47 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Oh, and for reference, Emiko Asteroid (not counting the station) is a Class-E, just over 3,000 ton, and aprox 100 meters (best guess) in diameter.

Hard to tell how big a ship is, but if the long Mk3 LF tanks are about 6 meters (I really don't know!), then the ship is about 50 long. Fueled it should probably mass about 0.4 Emikos. I'll try and make some measurements on the ground, maybe I can have Sarge drive around and plant flags at the corners for something to do.

9 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Where's Jebediah Kerman?

At his duty station in the LSO cupola, on the hangar deck. Also not pictured during the landing: Lisa was in the lab, Tedus the fantail cupola. Nimzo and Sarge were of course in main engineering as shown, and with seven crew pictured on the bridge I think that accounts for everyone :) 

6 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Hard to tell how big a ship is, but if the long Mk3 LF tanks are about 6 meters (I really don't know!), then the ship is about 50 long. Fueled it should probably mass about 0.4 Emikos. I'll try and make some measurements on the ground, maybe I can have Sarge drive around and plant flags at the corners for something to do.

To measure Emiko I took out Piper and Jan and EVA'd them to opposite ends and then wrote down the distance between them.  Averaged out to about 100 meters.

But as far as the mass, I've yet to find a class-E larger then Emiko, even around Dres, so I'm thinking it's not an average class-E, but on the really heavy end of the scale.

Edited by Just Jim

I read about someone in 1.0.4 that found Class-E asteroid with an ore concentration so high it had a better fuel/mass ratio the LFO tanks.

Also I am pretty sure you have quoted general order 35 before but maybe it was general order 25.  I am going to have to re-read Duna and Eve ;) 

Seems like once refuelling is complete, Minmus will be taking off from the surface of Intrepid rather than the other way round :D

Also reminded of the awesomeness of Captin Val's "Ask them to bring us the asteroid, if practical" from a few pages back. There should have been an engineer aboard called Muhammad Kerman so you could bring the mountain to him :)

4 hours ago, Nich said:

Also I am pretty sure you have quoted general order 35 before but maybe it was general order 25.  I am going to have to re-read Duna and Eve ;) 

There's a list of General Orders on the Kerbfleet Canon Reference, link in sig. Though if you did reread those books you might well find I did mess up and re-use 35 :) 

5 hours ago, KSK said:

Very detailed ones. Made of wing parts. :)

Hehehe, I hadn't even thought of that.  But you've got me thinking.  If you actually make flowers, then you'd have to do it at night (which is only right and proper) so you could use tweaked lights to give them various colors.  And then the whole bouquet would have to explode, of course....  Somebody with the time, talent, and bandwidth should do this and make a video :D

8 hours ago, lukethecoder64 said:

Long mk3 tanks are 10m long.

That means the intrepid is over 100 meters long!:0.0:

Nope, just measured it. Tedus is standing on the lip of the aft ramp, and Jeb is on the edge of the forward one:

k8UVI95.png

Wq1cHRL.png

CRWbaBm.png

Distance from Tedus to Jeb measures 53.1m. Seeing as they're not quite at the edges, and seeing as there is still the tail boom behind Tedus, I think we can call the "official" length of Intrepid 55 meters.

And yes, that object in front of the ship is Sarge in the rover! He had to chase it when they detached it uncrewed and it fell down the ramp and flipped, but all's well now. Meanwhile, the ore flows!

noBM6G4.png

Noting MET timestamp and resource window. I have the Qwammer's ISRU making LF and OX (separately, not as LFO) and the ship's ISRU making LF only. Bill will stay aboard to maximize the rate--and everyone else gets some shore leave. Will put it in a comic in due course: things will take a bit longer as I cannot use the stand-in "playset" for exterior shots of the 800-part lagbeast that is Intrepid :) 

(n.b.: I reported 808 parts before, but it looks like kerbals in chairs count as parts! The count with everyone in an internal crewspace is 804.)

53 metres of ship is pretty impressive, especially when it was launched from Kerbin.
Landing all that on another body is very impressive.

Not allowing lag to mess up the landing and breaking things apart.....whoa!