Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 21--Surely she wouldn't do THAT!

Mister Dilsby

15 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Bit of a frustrating day today; booster no longer boosts Intrepid to orbit after 'final' design work. Can't post pictures because I don't want to spoil the real launch, and not going to give details of the attempts because I don't want "help". :) But never fear, Bill and I will solve this, and the launch will be spectacular!

I"m sure the most frustrating part is probably that, due to heroically low frame rates, each launch attempt probably takes 20-30 minutes of real time just to learn that it won't get to space :D  So just to let you know, I appreciate all the hard work behind the scenes that goes into your stories.

Edited by Geschosskopf
typo

12 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

I"m sure the most frustrating part is probably that, due to heroically low frame rates, each launch attempt probably takes 20-30 minutes of real time just to learn that it won't get to space :D  So just to let you know, I appreciate all the hard work being the scenes that goes into your stories.

Yes! That was indeed my day yesterday. 20 minutes, no space. 20 minutes, no space. I really appreciate that, thank you :) In other news, though...

3vXX7Wn.png

I think we have a winner :D Still need to test the "land on Minmus with Quadhammer in the belly" but so far things look very promising. PSA: If you've made a hangar deck out of an "unholy assembly of cargo bays", it really helps to close them for launch--and by that I mean "closed the way the physics engine understands closed", not "looks closed but is actually half-open":P 

4 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Yes! That was indeed my day yesterday. 20 minutes, no space. 20 minutes, no space. I really appreciate that, thank you :) In other news, though...

<SNIP>

I think we have a winner :D Still need to test the "land on Minmus with Quadhammer in the belly" but so far things look very promising. PSA: If you've made a hangar deck out of an "unholy assembly of cargo bays", it really helps to close them for launch--and by that I mean "closed the way the physics engine understands closed", not "looks closed but is actually half-open":P 

I see you're using Bill space program.  :wink:

8 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

I see you're using Bill space program.  :wink:

I am! It's slow and a little wonky, but much better than launching a 2600 ton ship for real! :) You know what else it was really useful for finding out today? Well, I'm not going to tell you. But it begins with "Q" and it doesn't fit in the ventral cargo bay because somebody misjudged the position of the lower space door assembly. :mad:

20 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

But it begins with "Q" and it doesn't fit in the ventral cargo bay because somebody misjudged the position of the lower space door assembly. :mad:

Aaaaaargh!

That's one part of why the last 20% of the project takes 80% of the time.

My hopes are with you and the Kerbfleet engineering staff that the modifications will be minor and that the Intrepid will have a nice easy simulated landing on Minmus.

Happy Concerned landings!

10 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

My hopes are with you and the Kerbfleet engineering staff that the modifications will be minor and that the Intrepid will have a nice easy simulated landing on Minmus.

Well, the new Qhammer is shorter, lighter, and I think better-looking! It's now a three passenger vehicle which is really all i need (Pilot, science, engineer for mining) It's in the Q-pod and Val is in the simulator :) 

GIgw0Dk.png

First try was... spectacularly unsuccessful. Looks like I will need a couple of engines on Intrepid's belly to supplement the Qhammer's -- not for the thrust, for the balance. Am very confident it will work! Am now thinking, for the first time in a long time, of exactly how to lay out the pages :D 

Wvt76IU.png

FbifGOu.png

KfqawCy.png

eAKoZir.png

...well, there's ready and there's ready. I'm confident enough in the recent tests to post these pages, but we are probably still a few days from T Z SPACEBAR :) Appreciate everyone's patience--we'll try to make it worth the wait!

Oh, regarding @Aperture Science's suggestion of a welding mod--yeah, it's tempting, but I am going to go without that or KJR etc.. Part of the challenge for me is making this happen with stock parts except for "added degree of difficulty" stuff like life support, and "looks wicked cool" stuff like the crew quarters and bridge viewscreen. In any case, liftoff part count will be under 500. With all the landers docked I think I'll still be under 600, which I understand is significantly less than some Saturn V replicas :) Anyway, it'll be a great slideshow!

"You've done all any kerb can do."
WHOOOOOOO!  It's ready!!!

Well, that's a moderately large booster stage.  :D

That uniform looks very good.

Love the last panel.  You can't resist teasing us, can you?

Thanks, as always!

Happy Concerned (and still hyped) landings!
Of course, you had to start off by reminding us all of the ominous gathering storm.

8 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

I like the last panel, too. I've never made a ship so large it warped the gravitational field around it and pulled flagpoles into it!

Yeah, that gravity drive clone from "The Event Horizon". It causes......problems.

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

eAKoZir.png

I especially like how the sheer mass of the ship is bending the flagpole towards it.  Now THAT's the sign of heroicially low FPS :)

Best of luck, sir, and I expect you're well into your cups about now.  I'll join you in that.

For Science! "clink"

3 hours ago, GDJ said:

That's a big flipping ship.
Love the uniforms. They be FLY, yo! :D

Hopefully we can avoid the 'flipping' part :) The uniforms are based on the Star Trek TOS collection by @GregroxMun. I changed it from a V-neck to double-breasted closure with piping, went with TNG-style rank pips, added the sleeve braids and the Kerbfleet roundel. Am actually pretty pleased with the design--you'll be able to tell the different branches of service by color, and even if you can't see the rank pips you should have a pretty good idea who's who from a distance based on the sleeve braid: enzins have none, looties (and junior looties) have one stripe, looty comders and up have two. Captin Val gets some additional details and doo-dads as well. 

2 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Of course, you had to start off by reminding us all of the ominous gathering storm.

It might interest you to know that I run a sort of 'KAC' in my head for subplots and the like. Every so often I think "they haven't heard about this in a while" or "so-and-so hasn't had any good lines in three pages" and so I make sure to execute the proper literary maneuver node, as it were. The Forum comments (both in mentioning something, and especially when no one talks about a particular something for a while) are great reminders. I think it would be a lot harder to keep track of all this stuff if I didn't have you fine people along for the journey :) 

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

I like the last panel, too. I've never made a ship so large it warped the gravitational field around it and pulled flagpoles into it!

You know, I thought that was just lens angle at first, but you're right--Bill, what have you done? And hey, does this advanced control of gravity mean the crew will be able to stand up on the bridge while the ship is thrusting? That'd be awesome! Inertial dampers FTW!

23 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Best of luck, sir, and I expect you're well into your cups about now.  I'll join you in that.

For Science! "clink"

Actually I had to go pick up Kuzz Jr. from marching band practice so I am just now pouring a glass myself. Vive la science! *clink*

Edited by Kuzzter