Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-END OF CHAPTER 21! (and hopefully not so many talking heads in 22!)

Mister Dilsby

2 hours ago, Scotius said:

This ship is so BIG! And we still haven't seen it in all the glory :D

I hope I don't disappoint! Update: @Angel-125's stuff works PERFECTLY, and #shouldbestock. Thank you!

Also, played with the decals and they... are... AWESOME! I might still make a couple more, maybe put a commissioning plaque somewhere on the bridge...

St2hx7e.png

fBfs1uN.png

rxGjHpr.png

:D:D:D 

2 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

The 80/20 rule is surprisingly accurate for basically anything I have built. The structural fuselage bit is pretty clever: I haven't though of using it in that sense before!

Thanks! Yeah, I love that they made it hollow. It's like part clipping, but without the guilt!

2 hours ago, FlyingPete said:

I think it's definitely better to persevere with the Joolbuster. I'm not sure if anyone's actually retrieved lower atmo science from Jool yet with the new aero. Even better if you could work a 1-kerb command pod (or even a rover seat) into the design for a crew report as well ;) Just remember to 'simulate' it extensively before sending any Kerbals into the green depths- there's no abort to surface option this time! 

Ohhh no, there's enough mortal danger on this trip as it is thank you. And I'm impatient to launch!  Also it looks like I might end up needing something near the size of the M7 to lift a kerbal from that altitude, which I can't carry inside the Intrepid so fuggedaboudit :) 

Ohmygoodness, ohmygoodness, ohmygoodness.

I'm getting so excited!  The Intrepid is beautiful!

And we've only seen glimpses so far.

I can't wait for the launch.  It makes me feel like a little kid. :)

Happy Concerned landings!

Edited by Starhawk

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

I hope I don't disappoint! Update: @Angel-125's stuff works PERFECTLY, and #shouldbestock. Thank you!

Outstanding, glad to hear it! :) I will make it a staple of WildBlueTools, and add the feature to the Mk2 cargo bays as well. Mitch wishes the crew of the Intrepid safe journeys, and if they have any other extras needed, just holler and he'll contact the WBI sales rep. ;)

Awesomesauce!

It'll be just like the real one- big, will get attacked by foreigners with a totally different understanding of their purpose, nearly indestructible, cures cancer and represents truth, justice, and the Kerbfleet way!

One thing I will be so impudent to suggest- move the front decal from the ramp to the top of the cargo bay. It will look awesome! (Not that it doesn't already!)

12 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

One thing I will be so impudent to suggest- move the front decal from the ramp to the top of the cargo bay. It will look awesome! (Not that it doesn't already!)

Hmm, so topside, above the space doors on B pod? (ETA or do you mean on the forward surface, across the front of the space doors?) I put it where I did (top of forward Q pod) so that returning spacecraft would see the name and hull number of their "home" on the way into the hangar. (ETA They would indeed also see it across the doors--will try it out and see which I like better :) )

Edited by Kuzzter

41 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Hmm, so topside, above the space doors on B pod? (ETA or do you mean on the forward surface, across the front of the space doors?) I put it where I did (top of forward Q pod) so that returning spacecraft would see the name and hull number of their "home" on the way into the hangar. (ETA They would indeed also see it across the doors--will try it out and see which I like better :) )

Across the doors, so it's visible when closed and also a bit when open. Basically, on the flat surface in the middle of the last image. You decide! :)

Action group wrangling/interference is something I've had to deal with on my own big ships, and it's nice to see you not just acknowledging and addressing it, but in a very organized way.

And yes, that's an amazing ship, especially with the decals on. :)

EDIT: My list, from the post-it I keep to remind myself:

1. Solar Panels   2. Ladders  5. Camera/Telescope  9. Science Report(s)  0. Antennae

Edited by Commander Zoom

15 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

RVyJYIM.png

Huh, I should start managing my AGs like that. I have semi-standardized action groups, but they're still pretty messy. For example, AG1 is nearly always the main launch engines toggle for me, but i've also been using it on occasion to toggle lander/tug engines...

Edited by Redhaze
WYSIWYG is still the devil!

1 hour ago, Commander Zoom said:

Action group wrangling/interference is something I've had to deal with on my own big ships, and it's nice to see you not just acknowledging and addressing it, but in a very organized way.

And yes, that's an amazing ship, especially with the decals on. :)

EDIT: My list, from the post-it I keep to remind myself:

1. Solar Panels   2. Ladders  5. Camera/Telescope  9. Science Report(s)  0. Antennae

I have a similar system:

1) Run all tests

2) Solar panels

3) Antennas and ladders

4) Radiator panels

and so forth

20 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Ohhh no, there's enough mortal danger on this trip as it is thank you. And I'm impatient to launch!  Also it looks like I might end up needing something near the size of the M7 to lift a kerbal from that altitude, which I can't carry inside the Intrepid so fuggedaboudit :) 

You could send the M7 separately, and have it rendevous with the Intrepid at Jool.

Also, the Intrepid is looking awesome! Makes me think of Space Engineers, with the whole carrier setup and all.

Edited by DolphinDude3

25 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I see that you Tylo lander weighs 37 tons, and has ISRU.  Have you considered dropping the ISRU?  This Tylo lander weights 25 tons, even if it does take up more space:

Actually that's old information--we're not using that one any more. :) In any case the old Tylo X-whatever was single stage. This is because an important design requirement is that to be able to visit each moon more than once, or multiple moons with the same craft in case a rescue is in order. The current (and i believe final) Tylo lander is the 80 ton Quadhammer, which will also serve for Vall and can probably land/SSTO pretty much any moon or world in the Kerbol system except for Eve and Kerbin. :) 

Edited by Kuzzter

7 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Actually that's old information--we're not using that one any more. :) In any case the old Tylo X-whatever was single stage. This is because an important design requirement is that to be able to visit each moon more than once, or multiple moons with the same craft in case a rescue is in order. The current (and i believe final) Tylo lander is the 80 ton Quadhammer, which will also serve for Vall and can probably land/SSTO pretty much any moon or world in the Kerbol system except for Eve and Kerbin. :) 

Oh, I see!  That's clever.  :)

970 Metric Tons?

The largest lifter I have built was 250 tons. You will need to have triple-layered asparagus staged SLS parts if you even want to get that thing to space, let alone orbit. But I expect something clever out of you, Kuzzter, don't I?

Probably filling it up in space.

7 hours ago, waterlubber said:

You will need to have triple-layered asparagus staged SLS parts if you even want to get that thing to space, let alone orbit. But I expect something clever out of you, Kuzzter, don't I?

I'm interested in seeing that lifter, too. What we do know is that Kuzzter already has that part done, because he has already tested the launch and orbit capabilities. Everything he makes looks good though, and there aren't so many good-looking huge launchers out there, in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Deddly said:

I'm interested in seeing that lifter, too. What we do know is that Kuzzter already has that part done, because he has already tested the launch and orbit capabilities. Everything he makes looks good though, and there aren't so many good-looking huge launchers out there, in my opinion.

I appreciate your faith in me! I can't promise the launcher will look good. I can promise there are enough Mammoths in it to make Mort weep :)

Here's what I'm working on this morning while Kuzz Jr. builds a North Pole base using the new K&K parts... uniforms! I'm still not exactly sure I'm going to do this, but if I do it might look something like this:

eZujx6C.png

That's Bob, of course, a Looty Comder in the Science Corps. The suit is based on @GregroxMun's excellent ST-TOS suit pack. Sleeves map really strangely on this model, so I removed the rank braid and went with Next Generation style pips. Took the gloves "off" by making them skin color. Also replaced the Starfleet insignia with a new design Kerbfleet roundel that evokes its shape a bit :) I really wish I could get rid of that helmet collar, I'd make this a polo shirt or something. Suggestions invited for making this look a little better, and also for making it clearer who's who from a distance. I can't make the rank pips much bigger without them looking ridiculous, and the sleeves are kind of a no-kerbs-land. Also, orange clashes with all the Service Branch colors so veterans are going to lose that...don't worry though, this is just the uniform they wear around the bridge and the habs. Anyone in a lander will have to wear a proper flight suit for safety, and Bob's would still be orange in that case. EVA suits will be standard except I'm adding Gregrox's color-coded helmets.

Now this is a Fleet Service uniform, of course--Jeb wouldn't be caught dead in one! So I'm thinking the Air Service guys might never actually take off their flight suits. I mean, ever. If i do make a custom for Jeb and Tedus I probably want it to look more Galactica than Trek anyway--but I don't really have the skills for that. :) 

5 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

I really wish I could get rid of that helmet collar, I'd make this a polo shirt or something.

Yeah, me too.  I wonder if you could make them transparent?

6 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Suggestions invited for making this look a little better, and also for making it clearer who's who from a distance. I can't make the rank pips much bigger without them looking ridiculous, and the sleeves are kind of a no-kerbs-land.

I wonder if rank stripes on the torso would work for sorting out who's who from a distance.

9 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Also, orange clashes with all the Service Branch colors <snip>

I never knew Kerbfleet  officers were so fashion conscious.  :)

11 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Now this is a Fleet Service uniform, of course--Jeb wouldn't be caught dead in one! So I'm thinking the Air Service guys might never actually take off their flight suits. I mean, ever. If i do make a custom for Jeb and Tedus I probably want it to look more Galactica than Trek anyway--but I don't really have the skills for that. :) 

Air Service kerbs never taking off their flight suits seems to fit perfectly!

14 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

...while Kuzz Jr. builds a North Pole base using the new K&K parts...

Say hello to Kuzz Jr. for me. :)

Happy Concerned landings!

Just now, Starhawk said:

Yeah, me too.  I wonder if you could make them transparent?

Tried that--the problem is the model underneath the texture doesn't go away. If the collar is transparent, you just see a black collar shape. Went through that when I put a Mort skin in the trial scenes :) 

I wonder if rank stripes on the torso would work for sorting out who's who from a distance.

Possibly! I'll try something like that, the problem is that when you put something over a large area it tends to distort. Hopefully the distinctive dialogue will continue to differentiate, even if the uniforms don't. :) 

35 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

I appreciate your faith in me! I can't promise the launcher will look good. I can promise there are enough Mammoths in it to make Mort weep :)

Here's what I'm working on this morning while Kuzz Jr. builds a North Pole base using the new K&K parts... uniforms! I'm still not exactly sure I'm going to do this, but if I do it might look something like this:

eZujx6C.png

That's Bob, of course, a Looty Comder in the Science Corps. The suit is based on @GregroxMun's excellent ST-TOS suit pack. Sleeves map really strangely on this model, so I removed the rank braid and went with Next Generation style pips. Took the gloves "off" by making them skin color. Also replaced the Starfleet insignia with a new design Kerbfleet roundel that evokes its shape a bit :) I really wish I could get rid of that helmet collar, I'd make this a polo shirt or something. Suggestions invited for making this look a little better, and also for making it clearer who's who from a distance. I can't make the rank pips much bigger without them looking ridiculous, and the sleeves are kind of a no-kerbs-land. Also, orange clashes with all the Service Branch colors so veterans are going to lose that...don't worry though, this is just the uniform they wear around the bridge and the habs. Anyone in a lander will have to wear a proper flight suit for safety, and Bob's would still be orange in that case. EVA suits will be standard except I'm adding Gregrox's color-coded helmets.

I have to urge you to reconsider using the mittens-less texture on the hands, Kerbal hands canonically look nothing like their mittens/gloves. That's why my TOS Tunics pack keeps the mittens on. I can also make you a normal map that fits your new Kerbfleet uniforms if you can send me the texture.

For the Air Service uniforms you could use my Colored EVA/IVA suits pack. Though I'm not sure if there are any scientists/pilots/engineers in The Air Service or if it's just pilots. There are green and orange EVA suits in the pack at any rate should you want to use them. There's also the colored helmets which you've mentioned already, but I want to make sure you're using the good ones from the GCEIS pack instead of a previous pack.

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/1224/Gregrox%27s%20Colored%20EVA/IVA%20Suits

Edited by GregroxMun

25 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

I have to urge you to reconsider using the mittens-less texture on the hands, Kerbal hands canonically look nothing like their mittens/gloves. That's why my TOS Tunics pack keeps the mittens on. I can also make you a normal map that fits your new Kerbfleet uniforms if you can send me the texture.

For the Air Service uniforms you could use my Colored EVA/IVA suits pack. Though I'm not sure if there are any scientists/pilots/engineers in The Air Service or if it's just pilots. There are green and orange EVA suits in the pack at any rate should you want to use them. There's also the colored helmets which you've mentioned already, but I want to make sure you're using the good ones from the GCEIS pack instead of a previous pack.

Good points, thanks--yeah I may put the mittens back on, you're right they should have fingers. I guess it's one of those things where you have to decide which is worse :) Appreciate your help on the NRM--will send you textures once they're somewhat final! 

Air Service is indeed pilots only. I might keep them grey, or I might try to do something with yellow+brown, evoking a leather jacket if I can. Was thinking of putting their ranks on the left breast (<--here I mean the proper term for the upper forward part of the male or female torso. Let's see what the Forum thinks of that word :) ) and using the USAF model (i.e. silver oak cluster for Lt. Kernel Jeb, two silver bars for Kapt. Tedus) rather than pips.

Nice thing about suit textures is I can always change them after launch. Maybe Bob has a tailor shop somewhere in the science labs... yeah, Bob would be the tailor. Who else? :D 

25 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

IDEA: Put a graphical effect of a CRT monitor (horizontal lines of light and dark across the picture) or something on simulations to show the difference visually.

Better idea than just the Bill Space Program flag--thanks!