A beginner's guide to Kopernicus - The basics

9 hours ago, SAS123 said:

-snip-

Hello SAS123.

First off, the incorrect color. Try the following PQSMod:

VertexColorMap
{
	map = (link to your planet's PlanetName_color.dds file, make sure to include '.dds' as well!)
	enabled = true
	order = (same number as the order of VertexHeightMap)
}

This will apply the colors of your planet's colormap to the planet's surface. Furthermore, the problem you descibe with the altitude of the terrain relative to the ScaledVersion of your planet seems to be an incorrect VertexHeightMap offset.

To fix this: in your config, go to the PQSMods, more specifically the mod called 'VertexHeightMap'. Change the value of 'offset' to an even lower number (-1000 or something like that) then try again. It takes some trial and error for the actual surface and the scaledversion to line up perfectly, but the results are worth it.

EDIT: just saw that you don't use the values rimPower, rimBlend and Gradient. If you don't specify an atmosphere, remove those and set the type to 'Vacuum' instead of 'Atmospheric'. Furthermore, for the love of Kod, remove the flightGlobalsIndex, it's unneeded and cannot be removed after your pack is released without breaking career mode for everyone who downloaded your pack. It can stay as it, but it's not recommended. Furthermore, specify a location for the 'cacheFile'. Simply something like 'MyPlanetPack/Cache/MyPlanet.bin' would suffice (In your case, 'NewPlanet/Cache/Akinae.bin' (make sure to create the folder 'Cache' in the folder 'NewPlanet', otherwite Kopernicus can't find it).

Specifying a location for the cachefile is highly recommended for debugging purposes.

Another edit: just noticed the 'timeWarpAltitudeLimits' you specified. Those lock/unlock certain time warp speeds. Depending on the size of your planet, 30000 may be a bit high: that would mean that below 30000, you can only use 1x time warp, and depending on the surface gravity of your planet, it may take ages. Furthermore, the gravity of your planet is rather large (read: huge) for a body it's size. Remember that the gravity of a planet depends on it's mass and size. With the current settings, your planet's mass would be... 268283068624513000000 kg, which is insanely high. Since KSP's planets are ten times smaller than real-life sized bodies, you can add another number to the radius, which would make the mass 26828306862451300000000 kg, which is 0,44939% of Earth's mass. A more realistic surface gravity would be something like 0.08g, but that's your choice.

Hope this helps

The White Guardian

Edited by The White Guardian

I was playing around with my coding while i waited for someone to reply and found some things out along the way. I realized that the height map needed to be in a folder called PluginData. It fixed the transition from space to ground texturing. I'm playing around with the gravity for testing spacecraft landing. BTW i am an intermediate Astronomer and Astrophysicist because they are fun fields to learn.

Thanks White Guardian, I'll put those changes to mind.

Edit: P.S When im near the ground, the land seems a bit 'blocky'. Why is that? ive tried everything to fix it.

P.P.S Since this is one of my first times modding in KSP I don't know how to debug properly. I also have a lighting glitch. The lighting on Akinae Isn't facing Kerbol until to get near ground level.

Thanks! :D

Edited by SAS123
Another problem with my planet.

Sorry to mention this, but using any planet for a template works. removeAllPQSMods makes the planet a spheroid; thinking of that, you wouldn't need removeOceans if that was true since it is a PQS mod. Just thinking, I have not tested it yet.

EDIT: oh wait you do need removeOceans.  Forget all of that.

Edited by RA3236

11 hours ago, SAS123 said:

I was playing around with my coding while i waited for someone to reply and found some things out along the way. I realized that the height map needed to be in a folder called PluginData. It fixed the transition from space to ground texturing. I'm playing around with the gravity for testing spacecraft landing. BTW i am an intermediate Astronomer and Astrophysicist because they are fun fields to learn.

Thanks White Guardian, I'll put those changes to mind.

Edit: P.S When im near the ground, the land seems a bit 'blocky'. Why is that? ive tried everything to fix it.

P.P.S Since this is one of my first times modding in KSP I don't know how to debug properly. I also have a lighting glitch. The lighting on Akinae Isn't facing Kerbol until to get near ground level.

Thanks! :D

The issues you describe are texture-related. Here's what you can do:

For the 'blocky texture', lower the resolution of your heightmap. Furthermore, the heightmap doesn't 'need' to be in the PluginData folder, but if I remember correctly, it's a requirement for Kopernicus' 'Kopernicus OnDemand' feature that only loads the textures of the planets you can see.

For the incorrect lightning, your Normal Map has to be saved in the DXT5_nm format which can be done with either Photoshop or GIMP. If you don't have those, I'm willing to convert the map for you.

And I totally agree with you: astronomy is such a fascinating and incredible subject. I'm studying to become either an astrophysicist or an astrobiologist, you see. And since you know about astronomy, perhaps this may interest you if you haven't heard it already: it is very likely that our solar system has not eight, but nine planets. No, I'm not starting the 'is Pluto a planet?' debate all over again. A team of astronomers that were trying to prove that there is no planet beyond Neptune ended up doing the opposite: finding convincing evidence of the presence of a large, ninth planet that is about ten times the mass of Earth. It was 'discovered' by investigating the orbits of Sedna and nearby dwarf planets, and the only solution to their unusual orbits would be the presence of another planet. But, until we have visual proof of this ninth planet, it remains a theory.

Another weird thing is the atmosphere of Titan, Saturn's largest and perhaps most famous moon for it is the only moon in the solar system with a thick atmosphere, like Laythe in KSP. Titan has been visited once by the Cassini spacecraft orbiting Saturn, and upon visiting the cloudy moon, it dropped the Huygens probe into Titan's atmosphere. As the craft descended, scientists agreed that if there is life on Titan, it's most likely source of energy would be Hydrogen gas, like we use Oxygen here on Earth. Guess what Huygens found? Upper atmosphere: Hydrogen present. Lower atmosphere: Hydrogen present. Sea level: sudden decline in Hydrogen. These results are highly unusual, for they contradict a natural process called diffusion, so there is only one conclusion: something is using lots of Hydrogen down there. Screaming that it's alien life would be a bit over the top, we have no proof of aliens being involved, but it certainly is interesting.

17 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

Sorry to mention this, but using any planet for a template works. removeAllPQSMods makes the planet a spheroid; thinking of that, you wouldn't need removeOceans if that was true since it is a PQS mod. Just thinking, I have not tested it yet.

EDIT: oh wait you do need removeOceans.  Forget all of that.

It's OK, I thought the same thing a while ago. Didn't remove the ocean from the Kerbin template, added a 'new' ocean in the config file, then wonder why my game goes jelly when I visit my planet.

The first thing you said. Ah. i thought increasing the resolution would make it better but obviously not. I get my textures from Space Engine as I'm trying to learn how to create my own texture but running into problems. I do have GIMP so ill convert it to that format but thanks for the offer. 

Your referring to the Nemesis Hypothesis that states that due to the unusually inclined orbits of Eris and Sedna, there is either a Red Dwarf, Brown Dwarf or Massive planet(I'm surprised i know this stuff at my age) far out from the sun(in the Oort Cloud). I have a Hypothesis that is just has likely. Our solar system is about 4.5-5 Billion years old. Chances are that all the stars we see in the sky were either nowhere near us or didn't even exist when the solar system formed and stars do occasionally come near our solar system before receding. I say that between now and 5 billion years ago, a star came really close for a few thousand years (0.7 or less light years) before receding but pulling on the orbits of Sedna Alot and Eris slightly. Although i would love for a ninth planet (and pluto to be a planet again) it may be as simply as an ancient star coming very close to our soar system.

I did watch a documentary about life on Titan. It states that if life existed there, the cells would be about as large as a piece of paper but a little thicker because Hydrocarbon lakes tend to act like an insoluble so any food there would be hard to digest and thats the reason why cells would have to be that large. Awesome but a bit eerily. They would use hydrogen as the 'combustion'(like we use oxygen) as well as the hydrocarbon liquids. It would be difficult to see the Paper sized cells because the Hydrocarbon lakes don't let alot of light come through. So it would be very dark and hard to use lights in those lakes. I do semi-believe that life exist on titan, Very earth like except the lack of water. Very unusual for hydrogen count to drop so rapidly from only a couple thousand metres from the ground.

EDIT: what resolution size do you recommend? i currently have 4096 X 2048 and have tried 2048 x 1024.

Second EDIT: i forgot to mention in last comment but i tried setting my planet to a .bin folder and it completely disappeared from the game.

Edited by SAS123
Something needed to be added

4 hours ago, SAS123 said:

The first thing you said. Ah. i thought increasing the resolution would make it better but obviously not. I get my textures from Space Engine as I'm trying to learn how to create my own texture but running into problems. I do have GIMP so ill convert it to that format but thanks for the offer. 

Your referring to the Nemesis Hypothesis that states that due to the unusually inclined orbits of Eris and Sedna, there is either a Red Dwarf, Brown Dwarf or Massive planet(I'm surprised i know this stuff at my age) far out from the sun(in the Oort Cloud). I have a Hypothesis that is just has likely. Our solar system is about 4.5-5 Billion years old. Chances are that all the stars we see in the sky were either nowhere near us or didn't even exist when the solar system formed and stars do occasionally come near our solar system before receding. I say that between now and 5 billion years ago, a star came really close for a few thousand years (0.7 or less light years) before receding but pulling on the orbits of Sedna Alot and Eris slightly. Although i would love for a ninth planet (and pluto to be a planet again) it may be as simply as an ancient star coming very close to our soar system.

I did watch a documentary about life on Titan. It states that if life existed there, the cells would be about as large as a piece of paper but a little thicker because Hydrocarbon lakes tend to act like an insoluble so any food there would be hard to digest and thats the reason why cells would have to be that large. Awesome but a bit eerily. They would use hydrogen as the 'combustion'(like we use oxygen) as well as the hydrocarbon liquids. It would be difficult to see the Paper sized cells because the Hydrocarbon lakes don't let alot of light come through. So it would be very dark and hard to use lights in those lakes. I do semi-believe that life exist on titan, Very earth like except the lack of water. Very unusual for hydrogen count to drop so rapidly from only a couple thousand metres from the ground.

EDIT: what resolution size do you recommend? i currently have 4096 X 2048 and have tried 2048 x 1024.

Second EDIT: i forgot to mention in last comment but i tried setting my planet to a .bin folder and it completely disappeared from the game.

First of all, I've heard of some good results when using a heightmap resolution of 512 by 256 pixels. As for the bin, may I ask what you entered?

Furthermore, I am not reverring to the Nemesis hypothesis, I am referring to recent astronomical discoveries. The pull of another star could indeed pull on the orbits of the outermost bodies, but I'm not sure if the solar system would remain stable if a star with such gravitiational force passed by. And if you're surprised that you already know what stuff like brown dwarfs are at your age... let's just say that astronomy can get far more difficult than that. For instance, calculating the surface gravity of a planet or it's orbital period. While the formula's aren't that hard, combining formula's is much, much harder. For instance, I created a formula that calculates the orbital period of a celestial body and all I need to know are it's semi-major axis and the mass of the body it orbits by rebuilding Kepler's third law (re-organizing the variables in the formula). And I'm only 16. Just imagine the things I still have to learn! And here's the crazy part: I can't wait!

Oh, and by the way: using S.E. textures is fine unless you start creating packs based on S.E. textures only, since using S.E. textures is usually frowned upon by Kopernicus modders. Unless they weren't ripped from a procedural S.E. planet but a hand-made planet, which is why I do use S.E. textures, but I'm an S.E. expert: I hand-write the codes for my own planets!

EDIT: something I forgot to mention, you'll need a special DDS plugin for GIMP in order to save as DXT5_nm.

Edited by The White Guardian

I'm making a private mod for now(i might create a public mod but thats for later). Ok ill use a heightmap that size. For the .bin. this is for a different planet but utilizing the same code. NewPlanet/bin/Taka.bin using a cfg file, copying it, renaming it to Taka.bin and deleting all the content within. 

I did read on the hypothetical ninth planet thing just today. good idea. An Ice giant orbiting on an ellipical orbit with an inclination that matches the milky way. it makes alot of sense. 

Nah i think at the age of 16 knowing Quantum Physics and Particle Physics and having your own theories is a bit surprising. I don't believe the Graviton exists. but i believe its just a consequence of the Higgs field giving particles mass because gravity wouldn't be possible without mass. I also believe in string theory(That states that 10 Spatial and one temporal dimension exist).

Ill find the plugin for GIMP. and coding isn't unfamilar to me, i modded for minecraft but its working with different type of code that gets my head wrapped around.

EDIT: I now have a problem where the ground texture is too bright.

Edited by SAS123
More Problems

9 hours ago, SAS123 said:

I'm making a private mod for now(i might create a public mod but thats for later). Ok ill use a heightmap that size. For the .bin. this is for a different planet but utilizing the same code. NewPlanet/bin/Taka.bin using a cfg file, copying it, renaming it to Taka.bin and deleting all the content within. 

I did read on the hypothetical ninth planet thing just today. good idea. An Ice giant orbiting on an ellipical orbit with an inclination that matches the milky way. it makes alot of sense. 

Nah i think at the age of 16 knowing Quantum Physics and Particle Physics and having your own theories is a bit surprising. I don't believe the Graviton exists. but i believe its just a consequence of the Higgs field giving particles mass because gravity wouldn't be possible without mass. I also believe in string theory(That states that 10 Spatial and one temporal dimension exist).

Ill find the plugin for GIMP. and coding isn't unfamilar to me, i modded for minecraft but its working with different type of code that gets my head wrapped around.

EDIT: I now have a problem where the ground texture is too bright.

No, no, no, the config file is GENERATED by Kopernicus. Also, in order to change your planet in scaledspace you have to delete the .bin cache file. What you did is create a cachefile that will confuse Kopernicus greatly becase it doesn't contain the info Kopernicus needs. Re-specify a filepath and this time don't create any file with that name, Kopernicus will do that for you.

And I'm 16, I know a thing or two about quantum and particle physics, and I've got my own theories, so I guess that makes me a surprise! Cool!

As for the ground brightness, I honestly don't know what value you have to change for that. Ask it on the Kopernicus thread, I'm sure you'll find an answer there.

ok. for the .bin file you state where you want the file destination but not actually create the file. thanks. Oh and i don't use SE anymore for the textures, found out how to create some great ones on GIMP. 

I'm having a suspicion that the ground brightness is caused by an unmodifiable light refraction number. ill talk to people on the Kopernicus help thread.

Well Thanks White Guardian. You have been a great help. ill refer to you if i have any more problems in the future. 

2 hours ago, SAS123 said:

ok. for the .bin file you state where you want the file destination but not actually create the file. thanks. Oh and i don't use SE anymore for the textures, found out how to create some great ones on GIMP. 

I'm having a suspicion that the ground brightness is caused by an unmodifiable light refraction number. ill talk to people on the Kopernicus help thread.

Well Thanks White Guardian. You have been a great help. ill refer to you if i have any more problems in the future. 

If I may ask, on GIMP? How did you add the blend effect at the poles? I've been searching for a way to do that for ages!

And I've heard of that lighting issue before, if I remember correctly @amarius1 was having a similar issue, but I could be wrong. I am sure though that I've heard of that issue before, as well as that there's a way to fix it.

Good luck!

blend as in get rid of that annoying 'knot' or 'pyramid' at the poles? i have no clue. Ill try to figure it out. i only learnt how to use GIMP properly today although im a fast learner when i want to be so ill show you my texture for Taka now.

EcMQK1k.jpg

My Normal is .dds and its in DXT5-nm Format. i tried with kittopiaTech but i ended up with a black ground Planet

1 hour ago, The White Guardian said:

Actually, I meant the issue with the surface being too bright.

Oh, that? I think it is the "contrast" or "saturation" paramiter inside the "Material" node. They are 1 by default but you need to tweak it as you like. Personally, I don't edit them as I don't quite know how they work...

3 hours ago, SAS123 said:

blend as in get rid of that annoying 'knot' or 'pyramid' at the poles? i have no clue. Ill try to figure it out. i only learnt how to use GIMP properly today although im a fast learner when i want to be so ill show you my texture for Taka now.

EcMQK1k.jpg

My Normal is .dds and its in DXT5-nm Format. i tried with kittopiaTech but i ended up with a black ground Planet

Looks REALLY NICE! BTW, in order to make the poles blend, you need to stretch the poles horizontally so you compensate the warping effect that happens when applying a rectangular map over a sphere.

12 hours ago, amarius1 said:

Oh, that? I think it is the "contrast" or "saturation" paramiter inside the "Material" node. They are 1 by default but you need to tweak it as you like. Personally, I don't edit them as I don't quite know how they work...

Looks REALLY NICE! BTW, in order to make the poles blend, you need to stretch the poles horizontally so you compensate the warping effect that happens when applying a rectangular map over a sphere.

THANKS!

Thanks for the tips as well. I understand i need to stretch the poles horizontally but i have no clue how to do it.

EDIT: I don't know if i should release my mod after its finished. There are so many other planet packs that noone will probably find mine or use mine.

Update: By getting rid of the HeightColorMap, i fixed the ground texture being all wrong and the brightness problem.

Update 2: even with 512 by 256 normal map, i still have blockiness.

Edited by SAS123
An update on my progress

7 hours ago, SAS123 said:

THANKS!

Thanks for the tips as well. I understand i need to stretch the poles horizontally but i have no clue how to do it.

EDIT: I don't know if i should release my mod after its finished. There are so many other planet packs that noone will probably find mine or use mine.

Update: By getting rid of the HeightColorMap, i fixed the ground texture being all wrong and the brightness problem.

Update 2: even with 512 by 256 normal map, i still have blockiness.

you need to reduce resolution of heightmap. Yow know what? Can't you just download Kerbol Origins or OPM and try to copy the planets? For a perfect example from Kerbol Origins would be Revus. It's a height map based planet with almost no pixelation and no resolution reduction

BTW in order to stretch texture in GIMP look around warp settings. I also use GIMP.

4 hours ago, amarius1 said:

you need to reduce resolution of heightmap. Yow know what? Can't you just download Kerbol Origins or OPM and try to copy the planets? For a perfect example from Kerbol Origins would be Revus. It's a height map based planet with almost no pixelation and no resolution reduction

BTW in order to stretch texture in GIMP look around warp settings. I also use GIMP.

I did have a look at OPM. Its textures and code. Unfortunately the images gave mixed results and utilizing the code didn't work. its why i came here. Ill see about kerbal origins and i might play it as well. thankyou. Sorry about my amass amount of comments. I sometimes go overboard to know all i need to know.

Kerbol Origins looks like a great mod you made btw. I like the colours you ultilised.

is there a way to calculate the pressure, temp and suncurves without the calaculator?

Update I have a look and my heightmap for one was a bit bright so I darken one of my heightmap for testing.

Edited by SAS123

On 1/22/2016 at 5:04 AM, The White Guardian said:

I know a thing or two about quantum and particle physics, and I've got my own theories

I also have a theory about atomic/subatomic physics. Ever since I heard about Strange Matter, I've been wondering if an opposite form of matter can be created with the remaining quarks (top, bottom, and charm). But in order to figure that out, I needed to know how Strange Matter could form in the first place. Little problem: there wasn't a specific, well-known theory. All scientists say about the formation of SM is that it can be made in Neutron Stars. That's it. But after about 2 months of theorizing and researching, I've come up with a solid theory.

SM could have a structure mirroring the Normal Atom. It could have a nucleus made of two particle species and a third type of particle in orbit. Since SM is made from equal amounts of Up, Down, and Strange Quarks, what if the Quarks come together to form a new type of Baryon? I quickly figured out that the particles would have 1 flavor of quark inside them, like the Omega Minus Particle. But using conventional quark charges, the charge of SM would be 0. I think that SM would have a negative charge, but how so? The charges given to positive and negative quarks (-1/3 and 2/3) could just be base charges. Depending on the quark's size, they could have slightly different charges, called True Charges. For example, Up Quarks would have a TC of 0.600006, while Top Quarks would have a TC of 0.666666. Similar thing for the negative quarks. There are 6 digit spaces after the decimal to account for the 6 quark flavors.

If up, down, and strange quarks could condense into particles like the Omega Minus (I've nicknamed them Simions), then their combined charges would be similar to that of a lone Down Quark. That charge would be for a Strange form of Deuterium. Strange and Up Simions would form the nucleus, and Down Simions would be forced into an orbit by the gravitational pressures inside the Neutron Star. After establishing confidence in my theory, I came to the conclusion that Charm Matter (That opposite of SM) could NOT exist because of the extreme size of its possible simions. A Top Simion would have about 3 times the mass of a Platinum atom.

Also, how do I lower the height of oceans on a planet that used Scaled Space height and normal maps?

Edited by ProtoJeb21

Hai, @The White Guardian!

I was following your tutorial about the config, and it appears that the planet won't load. I've arrange the files and folders in the way I saw in the Kopernicus examples.

Here's a synopsis of the directory:
Gamedata/
Kryo/
Kryo.cfg
Plugin Data/
BiomeMap.png
Colour.png
Height.png
Normal.png

The config is a mesh of what I got from your tutorial and one of the Kopernicus examples, here's what's written in Kryo.cfg:

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
    Body
    {
        name = Kryo

Orbit
        {
            referenceBody = Sun
            inclination = 0.1
            eccentricity = 0
            semiMajorAxis = 325984256
            longitudeOfAscendingNode = 0
            argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
            meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
            epoch = 0
            color = 1,0,5.25,1
        }

Properties
        {
            description = Apearantly, the Kerbin Astronomical Society misplaced a whole kryogenic planet, with Eeloo! Named for a freezing atmosphere, this is where Kerbals hold the Winter Kolympics!
            radius = 955000
            geeASL = 0.8
            mass = 3.5154812E+21
            rotationPeriod = 21 600
            rotates = true
            tidallyLocked = false
            initialRotation = 0
            isHomeWorld = false
            timewarpAltitudeLimits = 0 30000 30000 60000 100000 300000 600000 800000
            biomeMap = Kryo\PluginData\BiomeMap.png 
            Biomes
            {
                Biome
                {
                    name = Equatorial Ice?!
                    value = 1.5
                    color = 0,255,255,1
                }
                Biome
                {
                    name = Polar Ice Caps
                    value = 1.0
                    color = 0,0,0,1
                }
                Biome
                {
                    name = Generic Terrain
                    value = 1.25
                    color = 140,0,0,1
                }
            }
            ScienceValues
            {
                landedDataValue = 9
                splashedDataValue =0
                flyingLowDataValue = 6
                flyingHighDataValue = 5
                inSpaceLowDataValue = 7
                inSpaceHighDataValue = 4
                recoveryValue = 5
                flyingAltitudeThreshold = 12000
                spaceAltitudeThreshold = 140000
            }
        }
        ScaledVersion
        {
            type = Atmospheric
            fadeStart = 95000
            fadeEnd = 97000
            Material
            {
                // Common scaled space settings
                texture = Kryo/PluginData/Colour.png
                normals = Kryo/PluginData/Normals.png
                shininess = 0
                specular = 0,0,0,1
                // Atmosphere settings
                rimPower = 2.06
                rimBlend = 0.3
                // Atmosphere color ramp texture
                Gradient
                {
                    0.0 = 0.643,0.220,0.094,1
                    0.6 = 0.0549,0.0784,0.141,1
                    1.0 = 0.0196,0.0196,0.0196,1
                }
            }
        }
        Atmosphere
        {
            // effectively the ambient lighting color for all objects on the ground of this body (provides a slight tint)
            ambientColor = 0.306,0.187,0.235,1
            //
            // shader.invWaveLength = Color( 1 / r^4, 1 / g^4, 1 / b^4, 0.5);
            //
            lightColor = 103,135,252
            // General atmosphere settings
            enabled = true
            oxygen = true
            altitude = 50000
            // Atmosphere Pressure
            // pressure (in atm) = multipler * e ^ -(altitude / (scaleHeight * 1000))
            pressureCurve
            {
                key =     0        1.31086407    0                -0.000108275
                key =     2000    1.094314833    -0.000108275    -9.04189E-05
                key =     4000    0.913477137    -9.04189E-05    -7.5503E-05
                key =     6000    0.762471051    -7.5503E-05        -6.30438E-05
                key =     8000    0.636383366    -6.30438E-05    -5.32594E-05
                key =     10000    0.529864639    -5.32594E-05    -4.43606E-05
                key =     12000    0.441143425    -4.43606E-05    -3.69463E-05
                key =     14000    0.367250922    -3.69463E-05    -3.07691E-05
                key =     16000    0.305712815    -3.07691E-05    -2.56229E-05
                key =     18000    0.254467007    -2.56229E-05    -2.26947E-05
                key =     20000    0.209077683    -2.26947E-05    -1.86702E-05
                key =     22000    0.171737343    -1.86702E-05    -1.53558E-05
                key =     24000    0.141025797    -1.53558E-05    -1.26267E-05
                key =     26000    0.115772385    -1.26267E-05    -1.03801E-05
                key =     28000    0.095012209    -1.03801E-05    -9.06244E-06
                key =     30000    0.076887315    -9.06244E-06    -7.34005E-06
                key =     32000    0.062207227    -7.34005E-06    -5.94393E-06
                key =     34000    0.050319373    -5.94393E-06    -4.81247E-06
                key =     36000    0.04069443    -4.81247E-06    -3.89564E-06
                key =     38000    0.032903146    -3.89564E-06    -3.33082E-06
                key =     40000    0.026241503    -3.33082E-06    -2.65869E-06
                key =     42000    0.020924119    -2.65869E-06    -2.12179E-06
                key =     44000    0.016680547    -2.12179E-06    -1.69298E-06
                key =     46000    0.01329459    -1.69298E-06    -1.35056E-06
                key =     48000    0.010593468    -1.35056E-06    -1.13852E-06
                key =     50000    0.008316437    -1.13852E-06    -8.94325E-07
                key =     52000    0.006527787    -8.94325E-07    -7.02404E-07
                key =     54000    0.005122979    -7.02404E-07    -5.51586E-07
                key =     55000    0           0               0
            }
            temperatureCurve
            {
                key =     0        221.2    0        -0.0009
                key =     2000    219.4    -0.0009    -0.0009
                key =     4000    217.6    -0.0009    -0.0009
                key =     6000    215.8    -0.0009    -0.0009
                key =     8000    214        -0.0009    -0.0009
                key =     10000    212.2    -0.0009    -0.0009
                key =     12000    210.4    -0.0009    -0.0009
                key =     14000    208.6    -0.0009    -0.0009
                key =     16000    206.8    -0.0009    -0.0009
                key =     18000    205        -0.0009    -0.00167
                key =     20000    201.66    -0.00167    -0.00167
                key =     22000    198.32    -0.00167    -0.00167
                key =     24000    194.98    -0.00167    -0.00167
                key =     26000    191.64    -0.00167    -0.00167
                key =     28000    188.3    -0.00167    -0.00133
                key =     30000    185.64    -0.00133    -0.00133
                key =     32000    182.98    -0.00133    -0.00133
                key =     34000    180.32    -0.00133    -0.00133
                key =     36000    177.66    -0.00133    -0.00133
                key =     38000    175        -0.00133    -0.00126
                key =     40000    172.48    -0.00126    -0.00126
                key =     42000    169.96    -0.00126    -0.00126
                key =     44000    167.44    -0.00126    -0.00126
                key =     46000    164.92    -0.00126    -0.00126
                key =     48000    162.4    -0.00126    -0.00102
                key =     50000    160.36    -0.00102    -0.00102
                key =     52000    158.32    -0.00102    -0.00102
                key =     54000    156.28    -0.00102    -0.00102
                key =     55000    273.15    0.00103        0
            }
            // Atmosphere Temperature
            temperatureMultiplier = 1.0
        }
        PQS
        {
            maxQuadLengthsPerFrame = 0.03
            minLevel = 2
            maxLevel = 12
            minDetailDistance = 8
            // Custom PQS material
            materialType = AtmosphericOptimized
            Material
            {
                saturation = 1
                contrast = 3
                tintColor = 1.000,1.000,1.000,0.000
                powerNear = 0.6
                powerFar = 0.2
                groundTexStart = 0
                groundTexEnd = 1000
                steepPower = 2
                steepTexStart = 0
                steepTexEnd = 50000
                steepTex = BUILTIN/terrain_rock00
                steepBumpMap = BUILTIN/RockyGround2
                steepNearTiling = 8000
                steepTiling = 500
                lowTex = BUILTIN/SandyGround
                lowBumpMap = BUILTIN/quiet
                lowNearTiling = 2000
                lowMultiFactor = 10
                lowBumpNearTiling = 2000
                lowBumpFarTiling = 10
                midTex = BUILTIN/terrain_sand00
                midBumpMap = BUILTIN/SandyGround
                midNearTiling = 4000
                midMultiFactor = 10
                midBumpNearTiling = 8000
                midBumpFarTiling = 10
                highTex = BUILTIN/RockyGround
                highBumpMap = BUILTIN/quiet
                highNearTiling = 4000
                highMultiFactor = 10
                highBumpNearTiling = 4000
                highBumpFarTiling = 10
                lowStart = 0
                lowEnd = 0.3
                highStart = 0.8
                highEnd = 1
                globalDensity = -5E-06
                fogColorRamp = BUILTIN/desert_atmogradient
            }
            Mods
            {
                VertexColorMap
                {
                    map = Kryo/PluginData/Colour.png
                    order = 500
                    enabled = true
                }
                VertexHeightMap
                {
                    map = Kryo/PluginData/Height.png
                    offset = 1000.0
                    deformity = 10000.0
                    scaleDeformityByRadius = false
                    order = 20
                    enabled = true
                }
                VertexSimplexHeight
                {
                    seed = 670000
                    deformity = 1700.0
                    octaves = 12.0
                    persistence = 0.5
                    frequency = 4.0
                    enabled = true
                    order = 21
                }
                VertexSimplexNoiseColor
                {
                    seed = 45
                    blend = 1.0
                    colorStart = 0.768656731,0.6996614,0.653089464,1
                    colorEnd = 0,0,0,1
                    octaves = 12.0
                    persistence = 0.5
                    frequency = 2.0
                    enabled = true
                    order = 200
                }
                HeightColorMap
                {
                    blend = 0.7
                    order = 201
                    enabled = true
                    LandClasses
                    {
                        Class
                        {
                            name = AbyPl
                            altitudeStart = 0.0
                            altitudeEnd = 0.5
                            color = 0.0,0.0,0.0,1.0
                            lerpToNext = true
                        }
                        Class
                        {
                            name = Beach
                            altitudeStart = 0.5
                            altitudeEnd = 0.55
                            color = 0.164179087,0.164179087,0.164179087,1.0
                            lerpToNext = true
                        }
                        Class
                        {
                            name = Beach2
                            altitudeStart = 0.55
                            altitudeEnd = 1.0
                            color = 0.373134315,0.373134315,0.373134315,1.0
                            lerpToNext = false
                        }
                    }
                }
            VertexHeightNoise
            {
                noiseType = RiggedMultifractal
                deformity = 1000.0
                seed = 5906
                frequency = 2.0
                lacunarity = 2.5
                persistance = 0.5
                octaves = 4
                mode = Low
                enabled = true
                order = 22
            }
            VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute
            {
                seed = 4234
                deformity = 400
                octaves = 6.0
                persistence = 0.5
                frequency = 18.0
                enabled = true
                order = 30
            }
            AltitudeAlpha
            {
                atmosphereDepth = 4000.0
                invert = false
                enabled = false
                order = 999999999
            }
            AerialPerspectiveMaterial
            {
                globalDensity = -0.00001
                heightFalloff = 6.75
                atmosphereDepth = 150000
                DEBUG_SetEveryFrame = true
                cameraAlt = 0
                cameraAtmosAlt = 0
                heightDensAtViewer = 0
                enabled = true
                order = 100
            }
            FlattenOcean
            {
                oceanRadius = 1.0
                enabled = false
                order = 25
            }
        }
    }
}

Thanks!

5 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

-snip-

You did not add a template. Making template-less planets is extremely difficult and so far the only people that I know of that have managed to create a template-less planet are @KillAshley and @NathanKell because it's so difficult. Specify a template using the step in the guide, then try again.

Furthermore, for optimal results, your textures need to be in .dds format, DXT5 for color and biome, L8 for height and DXT5_nm for normal maps, and doublecheck that all filepaths are correct.

@The White Guardian OK so after a long break, I'm slowly coming back and working on things again, and I finally gave your guide a read. Very nice, I'm pretty happy. There's little things i would change, but nothing that would drastically effect people's planets. I'd probably explain that planets don't necessarily NEED color/heightmaps but they help people learn inn the early days of planet making.Also I'd mention that heightmaps should really be the "base" of a planet, and not the end-all of terrain, true terrain should be formed from the PQS noise mods generated on top of the heightmap, and the heightmap should just be the foundation of the planet.

Also a better explanation of the order value would be nice, "Then there's 'order'. PQSMods have to be loaded in a specific order" isn't exactly the best explanation, perhaps change it to "Order tell the game in what order to load PQSMods onto terrain, mods with lower order values get loaded before ones with higher. this means that you can layer mods on top of each other, having one mod for a base terrain, and layering additional mods on top of that." (not: im still half asleep so maybe word it better lol)

Also maybe editing the cfgs so they are by default covered by on-demand would probably help people a lot seeing as they wouldnt know it's even a feature of kopernicus. It's a pretty simple change, the textures just need to be inside of the PluginData folder and have their file extensions specified (which you already tell them to do).

anything else i remember when i wake up ill let you know, but nice work dude! and kudos for actually helping people too after writing this! anything you need, gimme a yell dude!

15 minutes ago, KillAshley said:

@The White Guardian OK so after a long break, I'm slowly coming back and working on things again, and I finally gave your guide a read. Very nice, I'm pretty happy. There's little things i would change, but nothing that would drastically effect people's planets. I'd probably explain that planets don't necessarily NEED color/heightmaps but they help people learn inn the early days of planet making.Also I'd mention that heightmaps should really be the "base" of a planet, and not the end-all of terrain, true terrain should be formed from the PQS noise mods generated on top of the heightmap, and the heightmap should just be the foundation of the planet.

Also a better explanation of the order value would be nice, "Then there's 'order'. PQSMods have to be loaded in a specific order" isn't exactly the best explanation, perhaps change it to "Order tell the game in what order to load PQSMods onto terrain, mods with lower order values get loaded before ones with higher. this means that you can layer mods on top of each other, having one mod for a base terrain, and layering additional mods on top of that." (not: im still half asleep so maybe word it better lol)

Also maybe editing the cfgs so they are by default covered by on-demand would probably help people a lot seeing as they wouldnt know it's even a feature of kopernicus. It's a pretty simple change, the textures just need to be inside of the PluginData folder and have their file extensions specified (which you already tell them to do).

anything else i remember when i wake up ill let you know, but nice work dude! and kudos for actually helping people too after writing this! anything you need, gimme a yell dude!

Alright, I'll edit the guide. As for the order, I would've explained it further... if I had been sure from where Kopernicus starts to read: are lower valued PQSMods loaded earlier or later than mods with a higher number? Now I know, so thanks a lot!

I'll cover OnDemandLoading and gas giants in the next guide, one in which stuff gets a bit more complicated.

14 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

Alright, I'll edit the guide. As for the order, I would've explained it further... if I had been sure from where Kopernicus starts to read: are lower valued PQSMods loaded earlier or later than mods with a higher number? Now I know, so thanks a lot!

I'll cover OnDemandLoading and gas giants in the next guide, one in which stuff gets a bit more complicated.

like i said they are only little things really. Yeah the order is actually in important value as it determines the order which mods are actually applied, that way you can layer either noise mods or color mods together to create more interesting terrain and some very subtle coloring (for example..... and this).

The only reason i mentioned the on-demand is that its probably better to get people using it before explaining how it all works fully, at least then they (and everyone else) benefits from the reduced RAM count, and they get used to the file structuring needed for it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.