New Nostalgia Thread!

Djolox

You whippersnappers who joined in 1.0 dont remember the good ol days of .25.  Ah, when B9 was the musthave mod, and the souposphere reigned supreme.  When there was no point landing on different parts of planets, cuz they all were the same on the surface.  Those were the days. 

*puts on another pair of rosetinted glasses*

It's strange that pre 1.0 is considered nostalgic these days ;-)  But that's cool.  I drank the cool-aid with .21 (I think it was .21... was there a .21?)

I recall "science spamming" as it became a very strange and necessary dance for every mission.  I don't miss that.

40 minutes ago, MatttheCzar said:

You whippersnappers who joined in 1.0 dont remember the good ol days of .25.  Ah, when B9 was the musthave mod, and the souposphere reigned supreme.  When there was no point landing on different parts of planets, cuz they all were the same on the surface.  Those were the days. 

.25 wasn't that long ago. :wink: 

0.20, anyone? I miss the old Space Center..

Oh man. .17 was the stuff. No maneuver nodes. Docking involved putting a giant cow catcher with angled ladders on the front of your ship. Naked engines. Oh man, these days the talk is all about tank butt, but naked engines were all the rage in my day.

I started playing version .18... although .21 was out at that time maybe even .23... I got my .18 by means of questionable morality, but legal where I live.

Downloading stuff for personal use is not illegal in Switzerland.

http://www.webpronews.com/swiss-government-declares-downloading-for-personal-use-legal-2011-12/

Of course, I am not without morals, its not so expensive, and its more convenient to get it from Steam, so I went the way that makes squad happy. To me, .18 isn't so long ago.

I did a challenge to land on the mun using the .13 build, and that seems like something to be nostalgic about. The first version that added planets, complete with moho's hot atmosphere... that seems like something to be nostalgic about.

.18-.9 well... I suppose you can be nostalgic about laughable aerodynamics, no reentry heating, and OP'd jet engines. Otherwise, its just less optimized, less parts to choose from, and uglier parts (though the mk1 spaceplane cockpit wasn't bad)

I remember back when I thought a 7x mainsail, 7x orange tank asparagus lifter was pretty much the ultimate lifter...

Back when my first heavy lift spaceplane looked like this (this must be from 0.24... I downloaded the space plane plus modpack when I heard it would become stock in the next version)

1966881_10102506321827793_636161842_n.jp

And then even more capable and refined heavy lifters:

578579_10102522555220943_38363739_n.jpg?

And then even more so:

10329308_10102629791134313_1130569234148

So much uglier than my current one:

wrNkvOF.png

FOfPjuO.png

Nope, not nostalgic over those floppy, need 500 physicsless strut, jet engine all the way to orbit, SSTOs

1 hour ago, Columbia said:

0.20, anyone? I miss the old Space Center..

Sup.  Although the old Space Center was pretty bad, I don't miss it.

I actually bought at 0.17 but I didn't play it more than a few hours; IIRC my corp in EVE was getting pretty active and I had a child on the way.  vOv

I started playing when the game was in 0.15, but I was only playing the Demo. When KSP 0.16 was released, I finally bought the full game. I only became a good-ish player by 0.18 or so, so that's the time where most of my nostalgia for the game comes from. I still have several old versions. 0.16, 0.17, 0.18.2, 0.18.4, 0.23, 0.90, and 1.0.4. I also have KSP Demo versions 0.7.3, 0.10, 0.13.3, 0.18.3, and 1.0.D.

Edited by GregroxMun

3 hours ago, MatttheCzar said:

Wait, wait, wait! I joined in 0.17! And, the first mod I used was NovaPunch.

3 hours ago, Wallygator said:

It's strange that pre 1.0 is considered nostalgic these days ;-)  But that's cool.  I drank the cool-aid with .21 (I think it was .21... was there a .21?)

I recall "science spamming" as it became a very strange and necessary dance for every mission.  I don't miss that.

I still consider versions post .22 as new. And they are actually!

1 hour ago, GregroxMun said:

I started playing when the game was in 0.15, but I was only playing the Demo. When KSP 0.16 was released, I finally bought the full game. I only became a good-ish player by 0.18 or so, so that's the time where most of my nostalgia for the game comes from. I still have several old versions. 0.16, 0.17, 0.18.2, 0.18.4, 0.23, 0.90, and 1.0.4. I also have KSP Demo versions 0.7.3, 0.10, 0.13.3, 0.18.3, and 1.0.D.

Oh God! These old parts really made me nostalgic! I remember making a probe core with two delta wings and 2 big control surfaces, and it could fly infinitely! 

Old Aerodynamics were crazy!

Edited by Djolox

I started a couple of months before .25, but played a lot of .18 (the old demo) over this Christmas holiday.  Now that was pure kerbalness.  No big rockets, just keep cranking up the asparagus level until you have plenty of delta-v for the Mun (note: not having Kerbal  Engineer was *not* an improvement.  Squad should include delta-v).

I like 1.0.5 more, but the joy of pure kerbalness is something you need to go back to, when you are worried about contracts and leveling your kerbals, and stupid science bases*.

* don't ask about the sunk time in stupid science bases.  Just don't.

I remember 0.21, I joined on June 13, 2013 which was just before 0.20, all I did was cluster Jumbo 64s and Mainsails, never geting anywhere. I liked the explosions. I started playing seriously in 2014 when I got into orbit for the first time, forgot the game, found it again in November and played alot since 2014 November.

9 hours ago, MatttheCzar said:

You whippersnappers who started in .25 don't remember the good ol days of .23.5.  Ah, when mk3 and mk2 parts were so ugly that your eyes burned to look at them, and there were only two control surfaces (discounting winglets).  When there were only three modular wings, and one of them didn't match the others.  When there was only two modes to play, and no difficulty settings.  When you could drop a couple of jumbo-64s on the space center with no ill effects.  Ahh, those were the days.

Ahh.. Good times

0.23 I think I buy KSP..

A plane crashes with crew alive..several planes lost trying to land nearby for rescue...

The Landliner was invented as an alternate recovery method

Jet propelled 4 car train with electric assist trailercar... Thousands die... Plane still there

CHn1Ire.jpg

Weeks later.. 3 car recovery train was born...100s die but plane rescued :)

TeOv0D2.jpg

0.25.. The passenger express was born...planes and rockets abandon for trains.. Thousands die horribly.. Trains start being numbered.. Get quite....high

zS5NE0c.jpg

KSC becomes a dedicated railyard for refined hybrid battery driven recharging transmission.. running on both battery power and direct generation propulsion from the alternator of a modified engine...

Trailercar recharges in the sun, a locomotive stables after a safe run...

sadly the 4-6 car trains start to get shorter with each update.. as the game gets laggy.. I find im missing previous versions more.. less cars get stabled... railyard gets cleaned after each run

Qq18Dfo.jpg

Passengers abandoned for freight..

What? KSP is a space simulator you say?

LIES!!

0.25 to 0.90 

44 class and 40 class are born.. Diesel electric system takes over, removing batteries entirely..  locomotives start to use ALCO and EMD engine sounds.. Lawnmower engined "flea" overtakes battery shunters.. all being now diesel electric transmissioned.. performance picks up a little from that lost in previous updates

My beautiful radiator intake fans get removed from the game, ugly bigger intakes take their place and need to be cheated into position.. I paint a custom radial mount with a fan texture. its passable but I miss the old one....

aCR2fRu.jpg

1.04+

Refined beautiful capable and lovable modern day 44 class and 40 class stable in a railyard well worn in the past by train-like jet powered death machines.. Finally reaching the goal of the KTP

Trains remain short to 4 cars maximum.. my aging core2duo with 2gb ram cant run KSP anymore without deleting mark 3 parts..

Entire installations of KSP become dedicated to train parts only

8PCZwFz.jpg

Kerbal train program 1.05 :P if only I could run it...

downgraded to 1.04 as trains dont swim and im not building a submarine train.. docking ports cause serious disturbing lag and time slowdowns..

I miss my earlier versions.... the memories above were happy times (for me.. not the kerbals)

Edited by Overland

10 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

I started playing version .18... although .21 was out at that time maybe even .23... I got my .18 by means of questionable morality, but legal where I live.

Downloading stuff for personal use is not illegal in Switzerland.

http://www.webpronews.com/swiss-government-declares-downloading-for-personal-use-legal-2011-12/

Of course, I am not without morals, its not so expensive, and its more convenient to get it from Steam, so I went the way that makes squad happy. To me, .18 isn't so long ago.

I did a challenge to land on the mun using the .13 build, and that seems like something to be nostalgic about. The first version that added planets, complete with moho's hot atmosphere... that seems like something to be nostalgic about.

.18-.9 well... I suppose you can be nostalgic about laughable aerodynamics, no reentry heating, and OP'd jet engines. Otherwise, its just less optimized, less parts to choose from, and uglier parts (though the mk1 spaceplane cockpit wasn't bad)

I remember back when I thought a 7x mainsail, 7x orange tank asparagus lifter was pretty much the ultimate lifter...

Back when my first heavy lift spaceplane looked like this (this must be from 0.24... I downloaded the space plane plus modpack when I heard it would become stock in the next version)

1966881_10102506321827793_636161842_n.jp

And then even more capable and refined heavy lifters:

578579_10102522555220943_38363739_n.jpg?

And then even more so:

10329308_10102629791134313_1130569234148

So much uglier than my current one:

wrNkvOF.png

FOfPjuO.png

Nope, not nostalgic over those floppy, need 500 physicsless strut, jet engine all the way to orbit, SSTOs

Ye Gads, my 'puter choked just loading the pics!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.