[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

21 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

You're right. It can't be Tweakscale not being installed because that just reverts the size.

@Fobok I'd check tweakscale or any similar mod you have installed first. The mod parts you have bugging out are Cryo engines, BDB, P+, and Kosmos and there are no (unique) similarities between those that I can think of.

Pinging @pellinor for his input!

Edited by akron

1 hour ago, akron said:

@Fobok I'd check tweakscale or any similar mod you have installed first. The mod parts you have bugging out are Cryo engines, BDB, P+, and Kosmos and there are no similarities between those that I can think of.

Pinging @pellinor for his input!

Thanks! I'll check Tweakscale first in that case. I did use it on a couple of the parts in that probe. 

*ETA: @akron Nope, no luck. :( Did a complete uninstall of Tweakscale, still happened. I tried doing a clean reinstall of all the related mods in those errors... still no luck. I'm thinking maybe my save is corrupt in those particular craft, as I can load one of them in the VAB, launch, hyperedit it into orbit of the sun (thinking perhaps it was that causing the problem) without a problem. 

*ETA2: Yeah, another of my probes, this one with completely different parts, sent during the same game session is caught in the same bug. Oh well, thanks anyway! 

Edited by Fobok

huge props to the mod team for getting this onto ckan thanks guys for pandering to my laziness i look forward to many hours of probing ........ no wait i mean putting many probes into ......uhhhhmm

probing deep spac.........uhhhh ....(walks away in embarrassment)

Lots of work to help out Kinetic and his stuff! Plus cool stuff from Triston. A little more in Surveyor. I'll try to have at least the model done this weekend. I'll also be keeping a close eye on the 1.2 streams from Squadcast to see how these new changes will affect the mod.

Edited by akron

As always, THANK YOU, Akron... It wasnt just a basic Maya tutorial; you showed me many basic (and some intermediate) modelling techiniques, that I'm pretty sure are NOT just platform specific, and will help me no matter which platform I end up with (Blender/Maya)... And Thanx for pretty much finishing one model, that is shared by, and will actually finish off FOUR seperate parts, for the BioMASS mod... :wink:

13 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

As always, THANK YOU, Akron... It wasnt just a basic Maya tutorial; you showed me many basic (and some intermediate) modelling techiniques, that I'm pretty sure are NOT just platform specific, and will help me no matter which platform I end up with (Blender/Maya)... And Thanx for pretty much finishing one model, that is shared by, and will actually finish off FOUR seperate parts, for the BioMASS mod... :wink:

Anytime!

1 hour ago, pap1723 said:

Coatl Aerospace Probes Plus is officially supported by the Historical Progression Tech Tree!

SWEET! Thank you!

I made some progress in Surveyor... Little, but some:

YOt910U.png

Also, With the imminent 1.2 update, please keep in mind that I have some mod dependencies that need to be updated before I can release a patch. DMagic Science Animate, and Firespitter. If you have a career save, I would go ahead and backup your KSP directory if you want to continue playing until mods are updated. This is specially true if you use Steam since it will overwrite your 1.1.3 save.

~Cheers

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

when are you gonna have that in game?

snseR8m.png

7 hours ago, davidy12 said:

AMEN!!!

FINALLY A STOCKALIKE (K)SURVEYOR!!! :D:D:D

@akron: This is what I was waiting to see!!!

This guy is very unique in design. I am trying my best, but I don't this is going to be as LEGO-ish as my other work. It's unavoidable, unfortunately. I'm aiming for right in the middle between stockalike and realism on this one.

3 hours ago, davidy12 said:

So? Have two installs!!!

I always have one RO/RSS game alongside my stockalike game.

What does that have to do on what parts look like, they look the same in any install. I just don't like the compressed stock-alike look of KSP parts, but favor the realistically proportioned parts.

3 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

What does that have to do on what parts look like, they look the same in any install. I just don't like the compressed stock-alike look of KSP parts, but favor the realistically proportioned parts.

I sort of prefer the compromise that many of my and @akron's parts have struck so far.

5 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

I sort of prefer the compromise that many of my and @akron's parts have struck so far.

Ditto. The parts I am making take into account scale/proportions of more realistic mods like BDB and Tantares which have added real-life parts in a Kerbalish fashion.The parts I make will be stockalike with many design liberties taken, but the proportions should be right. The only thing I might have trouble with is balancing the stats like mass and such.

Yep, the probes here look really nice. The main problem with realistic proportions in stock KSP is that the rocket would be so overpowered to become insane, as a result all the rockets in KSP look like gumby versions that are too short and stuby to look anything like a realistic rocket. Kind of why I am playing with some patches in a SSRSS system to lower ISP and a second install for true RSS.

1 minute ago, Jimbodiah said:

Yep, the probes here look really nice. The main problem with realistic proportions in stock KSP is that the rocket would be so overpowered to become insane, as a result all the rockets in KSP look like gumby versions that are too short and stuby to look anything like a realistic rocket. Kind of why I am playing with some patches in a SSRSS system to lower ISP and a second install for true RSS.

For BDB, we just tell people to use a 2x or 3x rescale in order to get mostly realistic payload fractions.

@CobaltWolf Yep, 3.2x seems to be a optimum for realistic proportions while still using stock parts without changes. I loved Kerbin 365 for that, best compromise for scale and ease.

@akron Meh, part of the fun, sending out probes to find out they need 2-3x more dV to actually make orbit around the target. Just like real life, just ask the Russians about their Mars probes :))  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_missions_to_Mars

Edited by Jimbodiah

3 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

@CobaltWolf Yep, 3.2x seems to be a optimum for realistic proportions while still using stock parts without changes. I loved Kerbin 365 for that, best compromise for scale and ease.

@akron Meh, part of the fun, sending out probes to find out they need 2-3x more dV to actually make orbit around the target. Just like real life, just ask the Russians about their Mars probes :))  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_missions_to_Mars

I may try it later on, but as it is I play the game so little that less frustrations is preferable.

On the Surveyor side... I have failed... I'm at 5.3k tris and still no verniers or science experiments. The Solid Retromotor is likely to get a poly reduction. BTW, no animations yet, just a WIP while I figure out how the *REDACTED* am I going to animate those legs

soliD3H.png

EDIT: Keeping the poly-count low is more of a personal challenge, rather than a game engine requirement

Edited by akron

Ok, last one final update on Surveyor this weekend, Verniers and camera modeled:

cavyrhP.png

The verniers will be a separate part but I am not sure how to make them viable to be used separately. I may make a fictitious dual assembly that can be stacked radially for traditional use. I don't know yet. 

Sorry about the little progress reports. I did not have a good plan this weekend so I just posted as I went. :P I'll try better next time.

By the way, I do not think I will have a stream this coming Friday. I may either do it Thursday or skip this week. I'll try to wrap up Surveyor and get started on UVs and textures for it. I am still debating how to progress forward after Landvermesser/Surveyor is finished. Again, I am just waiting to see how KSP 1.2 plays out.

Landvermesser is currently sitting at 6.6k tris, for those interested and keeping track.

~Cheers

9 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

gumby versions that are too short and stuby

That reminded my of my OSIRIS-REx Cobalt called chibi.

I looked up chibi Atlas V and just got furry stuff. Nothing remotely related to aerospace. *shrug*

On topic, love Surveyor!

Edited by legoclone09