[1.1.3] Large Boat Parts Pack

Laythe2

26 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Says the bloke who works too hard, 8 mods and 3 collabs to deal with means everything in it's time, so feel free if you just can't wait, and in your pm you still never said what it is you want to put there?.  I'm quite reluctant to do it in the way you propose however as it just leads to other issues with things and kerbs falling through the deck, a much nicer solution is to know exactly what you'd want you put in that position and either it's dimensions or a pattern part, and having those details construct a proper bay with a removable cover, so if you want launchers you don't fit the cover and if you don't you do. missing collision sounds and feels like nothing more than a bodge

edit  you are free of course to modify the parts in any way you choose

I am aware of that. I was just hoping for a reply of some sort if you needed anything further. It would be for VLS. I think the best way to do it would be to just leave it without a collider because it leaves everything more flexible for people to build with than just making people use whatever VLS setup you make. Obviously they are your parts and feel free to do what you want with them but in the mean time I think that would be the quickest and easiest solution. If you want an actually part to put there so you can have dimensions I would use the malfunc VLS tubes as a model for dimensions. 

You out could also throw an animating cover on there like you said with a collider so that if there wasn't VLS there the non collider area wouldn't just be an invisible hole in the deck. 

7 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Sorted all i needed to know, I can get on now. 1 more thing  both lengths of mk42 of just short ones, I know its likely long ones as the missile selection is much easier, but have to be sure :)

Cool, and preferably the long ones please. Keep being awesome!

9 hours ago, XOC2008 said:

Lots of small details to work in.

*scoff* my Bismarck Superstructure adds up to about 450 parts...

still, beaut' ya got there, i should start working on modern ships, alas i wish i had proper tumblehome hull pieces..i dunno if im missing them, or they just dont exist.

Edited by Bitrefresh

1 hour ago, Bitrefresh said:

*scoff* my Bismarck Superstructure adds up to about 450 parts...

still, beaut' ya got there, i should start working on modern ships, alas i wish i had proper tumblehome hull pieces..i dunno if im missing them, or they just dont exist.

Just a pair of tumblehome bows right now. But I'm sure that eventually Spanner will work in some new hulls, just don't count on them right away. Definitely a full plate already.

The fleet now, with Eskandare's CVN Nimitz from the CVX mod, and TMasterson's Legend Class cutter from the SAR mod. Left to right, LCS Independence Class, LCS Freedom Class, LHA America Class, DDG Zumwalt Class, CVN Nimitz Class, LCC Blue Ridge Class, LPD San Antonio Class, LSD Whidbey Island Class, PC Cyclone Class, and taking up the rear is the USCGC Legend Class. My computer hates me this morning.

IyGEkMX.jpg

3 hours ago, XOC2008 said:

The fleet now, with Eskandare's CVN Nimitz from the CVX mod, and TMasterson's Legend Class cutter from the SAR mod. Left to right, LCS Independence Class, LCS Freedom Class, LHA America Class, DDG Zumwalt Class, CVN Nimitz Class, LCC Blue Ridge Class, LPD San Antonio Class, LSD Whidbey Island Class, PC Cyclone Class, and taking up the rear is the USCGC Legend Class. My computer hates me this morning.

IyGEkMX.jpg

That just looks shmexy!!!!  Now you have a fleet, you must conquer the world! Muhahahahahaah!

Hi all, just a little update on 1.2 and LBP,  aside from little tweaks, all part dev has stopped,  why?  this is why

Spoiler

2ovkith.gif

That there is with auto strutting on and EVERYTHING strutted, and even worse I've dived into the settings (and I'd never normally do that) and altered the splashdown damage modifier to allow for higher impacts without destruction, so I can't launch to runway as the moment a ship loads it destroys the runway and usually a good bit of itself,  and vessel mover and KK's launch facility produce the results above.  So far I'm getting a 1 in 10 success rate so nine occurrences of the above, to every one ship i can actually test something on.

As it stands, this newly applied physics easing is nowhere near strong enough and I've found no way to turn it up, in fact for our purposes it's practically useless.  KJR we miss you!!

So my advice is if you want to still have fun with ships don't go anywhere near 1.2 not while it's actually worse than 1.1.3.

7 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

this newly applied physics easing

Reading the patch notes I was hopeful it would be better.  By the Beard of Zeus, have I just been relying on KJR so long I forgot what stock does? Is this way worse or just the way it was in launching boats before? I am getting the same results you are.

I feel like this is a bug but is difficult to say as we are all using modded parts and not space craft and may not get any traction.

36 minutes ago, gomker said:

Reading the patch notes I was hopeful it would be better.  By the Beard of Zeus, have I just been relying on KJR so long I forgot what stock does? Is this way worse or just the way it was in launching boats before? I am getting the same results you are.

I feel like this is a bug but is difficult to say as we are all using modded parts and not space craft and may not get any traction.

That's frustrating... I wonder if the Boat Kraken is still roaming the seas... or it just looks like the Kraken has decided not to wait and eat ships right out of the oven. I know this is a space sim, but this sim has become so much more. The premise for me is exploration and fun. I hope they aren't trying to railroad modders away from the oceans because I was thinking of doing a Kerbal version the Apollo 11 recovery. Yes I know it was an Essex class and not a Nimitz  (to be exact it was the USS Hornet CVS-12, which sits about a mile from me.) They could have made buoyancy a bit easier on us.

@Eskandare @SpannerMonkey(smce)

I think I figured it out.  I had some notes written down from a pre-release thread 

If you are setting a vessel's position and/or changing its orbit, call Vessel.IgnoreGForces(framecount) on the vessel for the number of frames that g forces should be ignored (try 1, then 2 if that doesn't work, etc).

I was planning on incorporating that into AirPark but it turns out it works nicely for VesselMover as well.  I was able to move and drop my biggest ships without issue so far.

Going to see what @Papa_Joe thinks in a PR 

https://github.com/gomker/VesselMover/tree/Issue-12

// Update

Still happening intermittently - sometimes I can move OK sometimes they are flying apart. Tweaking the settings to find the sweet spot

// Update 2

Auto-Struts are the devil. They are torquing the boat like crazy I do not recommend using them. Identical vessels - AutoStrut On - falls apart, AutoStrut Off - Vessel Mover was working with tweaks

Edited by gomker
update

6 hours ago, gomker said:

@Eskandare @SpannerMonkey(smce)

I think I figured it out.  I had some notes written down from a pre-release thread 

I was planning on incorporating that into AirPark but it turns out it works nicely for VesselMover as well.  I was able to move and drop my biggest ships without issue so far.

Going to see what @Papa_Joe thinks in a PR 

https://github.com/gomker/VesselMover/tree/Issue-12

// Update

Still happening intermittently - sometimes I can move OK sometimes they are flying apart. Tweaking the settings to find the sweet spot

// Update 2

Auto-Struts are the devil. They are torquing the boat like crazy I do not recommend using them. Identical vessels - AutoStrut On - falls apart, AutoStrut Off - Vessel Mover was working with tweaks

Hopefully KJR gets updated so we can avoid autostruts.

Hi all while 1.2 and my ships are still disagreeing, i took the chance to make a completely new hull. Very close scaled replica of DG10 the Zumwalt,  It's just about to go on it's first multi part sea trials, the one part version which i launched in order to make sure that the hangar, which goes full length of the ship less the bow, had it's deck above water. passed with flying colors and was very maneuverable even at 50ms plus, with non of the rolling i was expecting.

There's load of other details, but for now I'll leave you with some pictures, as with this headache, the pics will likely make more sense than I One little thing, unlike every other hull in LBP this one is not really modular, yes it's in parts, but the very unique shape precludes modularity somewhat, and the fact that it is not flat bottomed , the hull changes shape from wave piercing at the bow to planing at the stern and these shape changes take place across the full hull length and width, so sections only fit neatly against the part that they are supposed to fit against

This will be in the next update  Imgur Album Link

WfPPrcb.png

D6ATmPo.png

Spoiler

Q711tP5.png

qFXz488.png

PU5cu15.png

6CtBFEv.png

oWxxTUR.png

turwXFW.png

b0gfbDz.png

EGpk0GW.png

40KJ8y5.png

Z5NMAMc.png

That is all!

thank you for viewing :P

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

11 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi all while 1.2 and my ships are still disagreeing, i took the chance to make a completely new hull. Very close scaled replica of DG10 the Zumwalt,  It's just about to go on it's first multi part sea trials, the one part version which i launched in order to make sure that the hangar, which goes full length of the ship less the bow, had it's deck above water. passed with flying colors and was very maneuverable even at 50ms plus, with non of the rolling i was expecting.

There's load of other details, but for now I'll leave you with some pictures, as with this headache, the pics will likely make more sense than I One little thing, unlike every other hull in LBP this one is not really modular, yes it's in parts, but the very unique shape precludes modularity somewhat, and the fact that it is not flat bottomed , the hull changes shape from wave piercing at the bow to planing at the stern and these shape changes take place across the full hull length and width, so sections only fit neatly against the part that they are supposed to fit against

This will be in the next update  Imgur Album Link

WfPPrcb.png

D6ATmPo.png

Reveal hidden contents

Q711tP5.png

qFXz488.png

PU5cu15.png

6CtBFEv.png

oWxxTUR.png

turwXFW.png

b0gfbDz.png

EGpk0GW.png

40KJ8y5.png

Z5NMAMc.png

That is all!

thank you for viewing :P

Looks great man cant wait to get my hands on this! Let me know if you want me to test anything or take a look at it since I was the one that bothered you with these parts lol

Hi all DG progress update. Sea trials are going well, she's still; much too light, but the hull displays some very interesting characteristics.  Too early to say for sure but she appears to properly climb onto the plane, with the bow barely skimming the surface. The reduced underwater volume of the planing part also helps with turning, allowing the stern to skid around, so the the turning circle appears a lot tighter than a similar sized standard medium hull.

iMbe58S.png

2 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi all DG progress update. Sea trials are going well, she's still; much too light, but the hull displays some very interesting characteristics.  Too early to say for sure but she appears to properly climb onto the plane, with the bow barely skimming the surface. The reduced underwater volume of the planing part also helps with turning, allowing the stern to skid around, so the the turning circle appears a lot tighter than a similar sized standard medium hull.

iMbe58S.png

Who would've thought that would be modeled in the game?

Oh! i had a request, since hangars have been a topic recently. In World of Warships, the Yamato, and Amagi, classes have ramps down from the stern into a hangar. Would you be interested in making such a setup? A ramp into a hull hangar that is.

5 minutes ago, cavilier210 said:

Oh! i had a request, since hangars have been a topic recently. In World of Warships, the Yamato, and Amagi, classes have ramps down from the stern into a hangar. Would you be interested in making such a setup? A ramp into a hull hangar that is.

Oh yes world of RNG I know it well, or did...  I'll have a play and see how it'd work in this context

@TMasterson5 Thanks, I think i got this though, and with this project in particular (as opposed to the original LBP) all the balls dropped will be mine.

Hi all It's a funny thing this modding lark, I never intended to build a whole new ship, no really, i started looking at the tumblehome bow with a view to installing bays for Malfunc VLS tubes, turns out that it wasn't worth the hassle of modifying the original, when the original wasn't quite right anyway, So i made a full hull, makes sense , then all the parts fit together nicely, super!  You seen the pics of every stage pretty much even to the full 1 part hull i built to check that it do what i wanted, and more importantly wouldn't fall on it's side the moment you use the 80KN bow thruster :)(and now i have this 100mtr 1 part DG hull i don't know what to do with) So you know I've been running around with tweak scaled superstructures and a bridge that was OK but didn't really fit.  SO i ended up making a complete superstructure, Bridge and Hangar, with access to below decks, it is also possible to walk from one end of the ship to the other via integral rooms and corridors

I chat to my testers quite often and they're always chucking good ideas into the pot, this ship is one of them really, well a combination of a pile of good and unusual  thoughts. I'll just post two full images and spoilerise the others, but it may be worth reading an image caption or two.

KEzZHpm.png

SmmmHxv.png

Spoiler

fmvP2dd.png

1IbfUc9.png

The black rectangular objects on the side of the upperworks are Air Intakes,  2x1 and 4x1mtr  proper inlets for proper engines

Ga6oa1p.png

T0dacpa.png

WR6JeZa.png

WJVtNM4.png

bDa6Xzl.png

All of the deco and  ancillary  parts are available through SM Marine and All the weapons radars etc are from Boomsticks, and No there is no way I will ever combine them or add them to LBP, it would be far too much for one mod . and a f'n nightmare to manage

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

13 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

@TMasterson5 Thanks, I think i got this though, and with this project in particular (as opposed to the original LBP) all the balls dropped will be mine.

Hi all It's a funny thing this modding lark, I never intended to build a whole new ship, no really, i started looking at the tumblehome bow with a view to installing bays for Malfunc VLS tubes, turns out that it wasn't worth the hassle of modifying the original, when the original wasn't quite right anyway, So i made a full hull, makes sense , then all the parts fit together nicely, super!  You seen the pics of every stage pretty much even to the full 1 part hull i built to check that it do what i wanted, and more importantly wouldn't fall on it's side the moment you use the 80KN bow thruster :)(and now i have this 100mtr 1 part DG hull i don't know what to do with) So you know I've been running around with tweak scaled superstructures and a bridge that was OK but didn't really fit.  SO i ended up making a complete superstructure, Bridge and Hangar, with access to below decks, it is also possible to walk from one end of the ship to the other via integral rooms and corridors

I chat to my testers quite often and they're always chucking good ideas into the pot, this ship is one of them really, well a combination of a pile of good and unusual  thoughts. I'll just post two full images and spoilerise the others, but it may be worth reading an image caption or two.

I think I love you lol this look awesome. Any Im here anytime for ideas if you want them!

On 9/19/2016 at 3:22 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

That there is with auto strutting on and EVERYTHING strutted, and even worse I've dived into the settings (and I'd never normally do that) and altered the splashdown damage modifier to allow for higher impacts without destruction, so I can't launch to runway as the moment a ship loads it destroys the runway and usually a good bit of itself,  and vessel mover and KK's launch facility produce the results above.  So far I'm getting a 1 in 10 success rate so nine occurrences of the above, to every one ship i can actually test something on.

Hehehe... I had this happening in 1.1.3... its why I gave up submarine building, and the sub part mod I started...