[ASC-III] Air Superiority Challenge - King of the Hill (BDArmory 4v4 AI Duels: WW1 Theme) - Now Concluded!

Just now, DoctorDavinci said:

@inigma - Would it be allowed to use the combo AI Antenna from Aviator Arsenal?

It combines the BDA Weapon Manager and the BDA AI Pilot into one part

permitted, yes.

I was thinking that propeller based aircraft don't need an 8000m startpoint. Was thinking to make battles faster, to have them start at 5000m out. Anyone have objections?

For those of you who do not know what the AI Antenna looks like ... it is the one on the far left

The one in the middle, the Ring Antenna is only for Wingman control and receiving Radar information and is not needed in this competition

The one on the far right is the ball antenna and I have no idea what it does

o6VxE9D.png

7 minutes ago, inigma said:

I was thinking that propeller based aircraft don't need an 8000m startpoint. Was thinking to make battles faster, to have them start at 5000m out. Anyone have objections?

5000 sounds good to me

12 minutes ago, inigma said:

permitted, yes.

I was already doing 5000m

2 minutes ago, The Optimist said:

My AI pilot keeps trying to go straight up, or it turns to the right and crashes into the ground. Any idea why?

I'm not sure, I was having problems with the AI as well. Try putting a kerbal in the command seat.

9 minutes ago, Jollyfellow said:

I'm not sure, I was having problems with the AI as well. Try putting a kerbal in the command seat.

When it comes to using Take Command you need to leave enough room for a kerbal to be standing directly where the command chair is or else you kerbal will be tossed away like a rag doll ... Ensure enough space is present or you will have problems

I'm having a problem where one of my .50's refuses to fire with the other. I've tried to change firemodes, I've tried to place the 2 .50 separately without symmetry, I've tried changing the location of the guns.
Please help.

Edited by Bananders

5 minutes ago, Bananders said:

I'm having a problem where one of my .50's refuses to fire with the other. I've tried to change firemodes, I've tried to place the 2 .50 separately without symmetry, I've tried changing the location of the guns.
Please help.

Likely you have only one ammo can ... You must have one ammo can for each gun :wink:

16 hours ago, Bananders said:

Alright, i've made so many changes to my entry, that i might as well reintroduce it.
Let's hope i can stop fine-tuning everything and get some sleep instead.

Nightingale mk1
https://kerbalx.com/Bananders/Crown-Nightingale-mk1
i0Gn6i8.png

I love that you used a small nosecone as a headrest/seat back, pretty cool....what did you use for the rest of the cockpit?  I may update the Llama if it's not too many parts.

Oh...and THE FiNAL BATTLE Of ASC II IS HERE! (but will be ready in an hour)

31 minutes ago, Draconiator said:

what did you use for the rest of the cockpit?  I may update the Llama if it's not too many parts.

Small radiator panel (under utility), modular girder segment and mk0 tanks for extra fuel

gypCdKs.png

1 minute ago, Bananders said:

Small radiator panel

Since BDA uses heat to simulate damage, you could use the radiators to take more hits, if you got the electricity.
I haven't done this however.

16 hours ago, Bananders said:

Alright, i've made so many changes to my entry, that i might as well reintroduce it.
Let's hope i can stop fine-tuning everything and get some sleep instead.

Nightingale mk1
https://kerbalx.com/Bananders/Crown-Nightingale-mk

So every time I try to launch your plane the kerbal pops out of the command chair ... This is due to you not leaving enough space around the chair for the Kerbal to load which causes the Kerbal to spawn with a part of itself inside another part which causes the Kerbal to get tossed like a rag doll

18 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

When it comes to using Take Command you need to leave enough room for a kerbal to be standing directly where the command chair is or else you kerbal will be tossed away like a rag doll ... Ensure enough space is present or you will have problems

12 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

So every time I try to launch your plane the kerbal pops out of the command chair

I don't have this problem, so it'll be difficult to fix.

22 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

This is due to you not leaving enough space around the chair for the Kerbal to load which causes the Kerbal to spawn with a part of itself inside another part which causes the Kerbal to get tossed like a rag doll

9lMe83k.png

4 hours ago, Bananders said:

Small radiator panel (under utility), modular girder segment and mk0 tanks for extra fuel

gypCdKs.png

Since BDA uses heat to simulate damage, you could use the radiators to take more hits, if you got the electricity.
I haven't done this however.

Thanks Nanners, I don't have to worry about my plane LOOKING bad now.  Saved as a subassembly and will update my plane with it, as well as a few fixes I thought of.

3bf5e96439a7d7525444fd2bd765aa15.jpg

11 minutes ago, Draconiator said:

Thanks Nanners, I don't have to worry about my plane LOOKING bad now.  Saved as a subassembly and will update my plane with it, as well as a few fixes I thought of.

3bf5e96439a7d7525444fd2bd765aa15.jpg

I'm glad i could help!

Also, i got bored this evening and used an hour or so on a WW1 bomber

5Awey7O.png

OP updated with final King of the Hill.  Congrats @g00bd0g on a most excellent domination of ASC II!

Up next... ASC-III.

Archiving ASC II:

b6RRSh6.png

SERIES II

Air Superiority Challenge - King of the Hill 3v3 AI Duels
How Long Will You Claim Air Superiority?

Inigma's YouTube Channel

Test your design against the current King of the Hill, then

Submit your entry to the ASC KerbalX.com Hangar and post a link in this thread to enter!

ASC Match Hosts:

@inigma | @jrodriguez | @g00bd0g | @Hobbes Novakoff | @Draconiator

Check out these other ASC Divisions:

ASC-III (KAX WWI Style) Coming June! | ASC-IV (No Restrictions) Coming July! | ASC-A (PvE Arena Ladder) Coming Soon!

King of the Hill: goobdog - VulcaRaptor 2

Number of Wins: 1

Registered belligerents:

Bananders - Crown 22 Flapjack - DEFEATED!

It began with a challenge...

inigma claimed King of the the Hill on April 3, 2016 with a pair of Fighter Papa-1s over KSC and KSC Islands. Not soon after, his son challenged him with a pair of dp class fighters of his own. The Air Superiority Challenge was born!

ASC Series Playlist:

The Air Superiority Challenge is a rotating challenge series from a catalog of currently adopted rule sets: No Restrictions, Modern Style, WWI Style, and other ideas we come up with by consensus. Only one series is  active at at time, but each series will be posted in rotation. Most Series last a month. Some longer or shorter depending on interest, time, and new software releases. What never changes is the general format: two AI teams dueling for control of a piece of territory, most commonly KSC Island, using stock and BDArmory parts only (with a little Kerbal Aircraft Expansion thrown in here or there for spite). How long your team will claim the ASC KOTH title depends on how many times your designs survive challenges to your reign.

Match Rules:

• All matches are hosted in KSP 1.1.2 with the latest BDArmory and KAX mod versions.
  • To ease the load of the match hosts, and to increase confidence in your submission, you may only submit an entry that you've tested against the current King of the Hill. Your post must state you've done so.
  • Challenges to the King of the Hill will be processed on a first-come first-served basis by whichever match host volunteer happens to be available to do so (you can join the ASC Host team, PM inigma to do so).
  • Challenges are 3 rounds of 2v2 take off from KSC Island in opposite directions, BDArmory Standard Tournament Mode (8km re-engagement over KSC Island).
  • To win a round or claim title to King of the Hill, one of your surviving craft must:
    • have a Kerbal in your craft
    • have at least one engine remaining (out of fuel ok)
    • have at least one weapon attached (empty ok)
    • still appear on the VS list in the BDA GUI (your weapons module hasn't been shot off)
    • if there are no survivors with all the above, the round will be considered a draw, and a new round required.
  • In case of a draw or bugged round, a round will be added to the match.
  • 3 draws in a row will result in the match going to the current King of the Hill.
  • Any craft that has disengaged is considered lost.
  • All seats on a craft will be filled. Two seater? Two Kerbals. Yes, Kerbals weigh a few.
  • All matches will be made available on the official YouTube playlist embedded above.

Entry Rules:

• 3 aircraft (must look like a plane) required per team (can be same or different crafts), at least one of which must be manned with one or more Kerbals.
  • All craft must be built in KSP 1.1.2
  • 100 strict maximum per craft part limit.
  • Any stock part permitted.
  • No mod parts permitted except the following:
    • BDArmory (required) and @BahamutoDF22 Cockpits
      • Turrets MUST be locked to 0 gimbal if used.
      • Lasers are not permitted.
      • A maximum of 20 BDA parts in total are permitted, this includes F22 2-man Cockpit (single man is not counted as it does not have radar), AI pilot, and Weapons Manager modules, missile rails, missiles, guns, ammo, etc.
      • All missiles must be mounted to a rail.
      • A maximum of 3 AIM 9s are permitted per standard missile rail.
      • A maximum of 2 AIM 120s are permitted per standard missile rail.
      • You may mix and match missiles on rails up to their limits above.
      • Since BDA imposes a hard limit of 1 missile per rail on a rotary, we have decided to simply count the rotary as 2 parts for the BDA part count.
      • Therefore to keep Rotary Bomb Rails on par with standard rails, rotary bomb rails are limited to a maximum of 6 rails.
  • No restrictions on AI, Weapons Manager, or Missile Manager settings.
  • Craft file editing is permissible, but only to fine tune options within current in-game editor limits. Such as setting missiles to fire every 2 seconds, rather than 1 or 3, but not 0.1 (which is outside the in-game editor range).
  • Entries must contain download link for the craft file(s) to the ASC KerbalX.com Hangar and posted to this thread (static links prevent me having to update the OP with your new versions). KerbalX has the ability to count your BDA parts for us, so we don't have to! Hence why this series requires all submissions to be on KerbalX. No exceptions this time.
  • Only AI and Weapons Manager changes are permitted to the ASC champion between matches to fine-tune their AI response to upcoming challengers. No other part changes are permitted to the ASC champion.
  • All challengers are permitted to make any changes they wish to their craft up to and just before their match vs the current ASC champion. If you are next in line, please notify the match host so your changes are committed to the match. If the match host missed your note, it's not their fault. Just re-submit your craft.
  • Only one active entry per person at a time (to prevent dueling yourself).
  • Match hosts will only engage staging once to turn on your engines at 0 throttle up to 3 minutes before match start, so be sure to tie in any components (such as ECM) you want activated to the SAS action group (competition start engages SAS automatically), and be sure to include enough electricity to keep them active while stationary and throttled to 0.
  • You may not trigger the Weapons Manager, or AI, or any of their settings, via the staging or SAS action groups. This prematurely enables fighting, and crafts that do will be disqualified.

Hosting Details:
Rounds will be processed depending on our time and general availability (hopefully semi-daily). With that in mind, let's see how far we can take this!

You are welcome to host your own matches and publish the results in this thread if any of the ASC match hosts fail to respond within 7 days to the next belligerent challenge. If you decide to host an ASC match, you must have a dedicated KSP 1.1.2 64 bit install that only has the following mods installed:

When released for 1.1.2, then add these:

Visual mods are permitted as long as they don't seriously degrade your match processing.

Match hosts must post all rounds to YouTube channel with KSP: ASC II KOTH belligerent vs king (Round # of # or Full Match) BDArmory AI Dogfight Battle  and update this thread with a link.

Shall we get started? Who will be the first to challenge the ASC King of the Hill?

Air Superiority Challenge Series II -  Line of Succession

1. inigma - Battle Dove - 1 win
  2. g00bd0g - VulcaRaptor - 10 wins
  3. Draconiator - Battlewing Duo - 2 wins
  4. NotAnAimBot - F2X SP - 2 wins
  5. Bananders - Crown 22 Flapjack - 2 wins
  6. goobdog - VulcaRaptor 2 - 1 win

Air Superiority Challenge Series II -  PvK Masters 
Players who can beat the current King of the Hill 2v2 (themselves plus an AI wingman), proven with a video.

1. your name here

Previous ASC Series Top Reigning Kings:

ASC-I - SuicidalInsanity - Solarius III - 6 wins

ASC-II - g00bd0g - VulcaRaptor - 10 wins - ASC Grand Champion

Just now, Draconiator said:

Alrighty, what did I do that makes Vessel Mover do this?

b7a2a99f92d93bb927d39d99f8b6c3be.png

and it lags out too.

Don't use vessel mover to spawn anything. :)

Also I added TextureReplacer to the required mod list. Time to take off those EVA helmets. Suit mods are optional, but I prefer Cetera's. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.