[WIP] [1.2.1] [2.0.4] Stock Size Real Solar System

sDaZe

UPDATE:

That worked! The files are changing the values to amounts that should not exist. I reccomend to the Mod creators to remove both of those files as they are not necessary and make SCANSat not work at all. Thanks for your mod, I love this!

4 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

Post your mod list, and check your output log for NullReference Exception. Sometimes a little mod can make big damages.

Hmm, ok I will, and how do you check an output log?

And can I post it for you to see? :)

Sorry if Im asking a lot of questions.

I have also noticed that the time scale is off. The days still tick by like it is real RSS in 24 hour increments instead of 6 hours like Kerbin, or 5 hours, 59 minutes, 1 second in scaled down SSRSS Earth.

5 minutes ago, Table said:

Hmm, ok I will, and how do you check an output log?

And can I post it for you to see? :)

Sorry if Im asking a lot of questions.

Make sure you upload the output log to Dropbox and share the link. Please do not post your entire output log here! 

2 minutes ago, pap1723 said:

I have also noticed that the time scale is off. The days still tick by like it is real RSS in 24 hour increments instead of 6 hours like Kerbin, or 5 hours, 59 minutes, 1 second in scaled down SSRSS Earth.

Yeah we are still working g on it

1 hour ago, Berlin said:

Make sure you upload the output log to Dropbox and share the link. Please do not post your entire output log here! 

Yeah we are still working g on it

Heres is a new updated shadows.cfg for SVE with eclipses up to Saturn's system

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6gbi4omighqLWpIV01Rd2dFbjg

Also I have updated the clouds.cfg, both Eve and Laythe clouds were being applied to Titan, and Jupiter was not getting any clouds at all, so I have applied Eve clouds to Venus, and Laythe clouds to Titan, also Jool clouds to Jupiter (which now looks like Jool again, but hey it has clouds)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6gbi4omighqY3hlNmlzUHNaTDA

Edited by selfish_meme

I also figured out my Hyperedit issue, I can hyperedit to Jupiter, as long as I do it far enough out, like outside the orbit of Io. If I try and go closer than around 50,000km it crashes, Io is at 35,000km. So in RSSKopernicus you have set the radius of Jupiter at 69,373 km, and 1 bar atmosphere at 69,911 km, so 0m height above the surface would be 69,373/2 = 34,686.5km, technically I think Io is inside Jupiters atmosphere which explains why I keep crashing when I try and Hyperedit to Io or anywhere nearer than 50,000 km, I can now Hyperedit wherever I want in the system I just have to be far enough away to not accidentally be in the atmosphere of a gas giant.

Here is a picture of me in relation to Jupiter and Io, if I try and go closer my game will crash, which I think it because I am technically entering atmosphere, I am going to go a kilometer at a time closer to figure out the edge, at 44,000km

Edit, the clouds move now too which is neat, just need to get rid of the pea greeness

9PbS2jI.png

At the scale of the Jupiter in the config, it should be slightly bigger than the orbit of Io there in that picture, so the scale of the model is very wrong.

Edited by selfish_meme

1 hour ago, selfish_meme said:

I also figured out my Hyperedit issue, I can hyperedit to Jupiter, as long as I do it far enough out, like outside the orbit of Io. If I try and go closer than around 50,000km it crashes, Io is at 35,000km. So in RSSKopernicus you have set the radius of Jupiter at 69,373 km, and 1 bar atmosphere at 69,911 km, so 0m height above the surface would be 69,373/2 = 34,686.5km, technically I think Io is inside Jupiters atmosphere which explains why I keep crashing when I try and Hyperedit to Io or anywhere nearer than 50,000 km, I can now Hyperedit wherever I want in the system I just have to be far enough away to not accidentally be in the atmosphere of a gas giant.

Here is a picture of me in relation to Jupiter and Io, if I try and go closer my game will crash, which I think it because I am technically entering atmosphere, I am going to go a kilometer at a time closer to figure out the edge, at 44,000km

Edit, the clouds move now too which is neat, just need to get rid of the pea greeness

9PbS2jI.png

At the scale of the Jupiter in the config, it should be slightly bigger than the orbit of Io there in that picture, so the scale of the model is very wrong.

That is the RSSKopernicus config, but it is modified by the Sigma Dimensions mod. It is all scaled down from those numbers.

14 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Your experimentalAtmoScale of 4 does not work for me (OpenGL, Linux), see image below, for @Berlin this ring only appears with sunlight so you cannot test it at night

fdpIAGC.png

I think 4 is too high as well, and does not eliminate the ring for me anyway at 100km, interesting, the ring only seems to be there below 170km then it dissapears, I think this needs to be tested at different heights, I will go back to default settings, it may be a transitory thing

@selfish_meme That's odd. The ring from your last picture (slowly fading above 150k and somwhat gone at 200k+) is something I have also seen. But with the higher EAS values I don't have those anymore. I know for sure that these occure when I lower the value of EAS (experimentalAtmoScale) but - at least for me - they disappear completely with an EAS of 3.7 or above.

However. As stated a little ring around the planets stays, just like the one you showed in your post after that:

qeHu1tu.png

And yepp, 4 removes the ring but also raises the atmosphere glow. 

But keep in mind that you also can adjust the Rg / Rt / RL values. Where Rg should be the Ground, Rt the atmosphere height and RL the end of atmosphere (glow?). 

So far I haven't changed Rg from the SSRSS values but Rt and RL have a big impact. Maybe it will work to make a smaller gap between Rg and Rt while still setting a higher value at experimentalAtmoScale. Right now I have ships flying around, Earth, Venus, Mars, Uranus and Jupiter. Neptun and Saturn are coming next and then the smaller planets/moons with a scatterer value. And as experimentalAtmoScale 4 is OKish at Earth and Venus (Venus maybe even perfect) it's not even slightly OK on the much bigger gas giants. So I will poke a little bit more at Rt and RL with smaller experimentalAtmoScale values.

I'm testing these at a windows PC and my Macbook btw. However I prefer playing KSP on my Macbook so this will be my reference. What I just cannot quite grasp, is that with stock KSP I don't have these issues between Windows and OSX with scatterer. The standard config works perfectly on both. MAybe I will also take a closer look at the standard config.

I found these albums from Apollo 16 and 17 with many pictures of earth atmosphere from orbit. And yes, it seems that the atmosphere should look smaller. But we should also keep in mind that those pics come from an Earth with 6371km radius and 100km-ish atmosphere. Our Earth now has 637km radius  and a 100km-ish atmosphere:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/projectapolloarchive/sets/72157656739898544

https://www.flickr.com/photos/projectapolloarchive/sets/72157659085112111

*edit 420* 

kjuQ6S8.jpg

*updated values ... but not finished* 

The first Values and calculations are of scatterer 0.246 standard settings for each planet. 

Radius to Rt and Radius to RL are always (read: not always - damn you Eve) similar if not identical. I will adjust everything to those 70.7 and 4234 factors. 

@Berlin You could imho took these Rg, Rt and RL values as standard setting for your settings, as they correspond to the standard scatterer value. However, the EAS values are different for windows and OSX. 3,7 and 4,0 (maybe 3,9) are a must have for OSX (OpenGL) but under windows this looks very bad. I will maybe also lower the values in the future to get a thinner atmosphere on OSX.

EAS is experimentalAtmoScale and MEM is MapExperimentalMultiplier (although I already deleted this from the list because it only influences - who would have guessed - the map mode) ... I don't quite understand where those values arise from. testestestestest ... ... ...

Edited by lCristol

5 hours ago, lCristol said:

Awesome job.  Love the spreadsheet.  Take your time and get it all. No need to rush :) Thanks for doing this1

Edited by Berlin

4 hours ago, lCristol said:

I'm testing these at a windows PC and my Macbook btw. However I prefer playing KSP on my Macbook so this will be my reference. What I just cannot quite grasp, is that with stock KSP I don't have these issues between Windows and OSX with scatterer. The standard config works perfectly on both. MAybe I will also take a closer look at the standard config.

@lCristol: Just wanted to pop in and say thank you from a fellow Mac user. Can't wait for the official release of your configs. I'm doing a combo SSRSS/Kerbalism save right now and it's really exciting, but the atmosphere artifacts are driving me batty. :)

Edited by Squelch7
Spelled name wrong

18 hours ago, Berlin said:

The flickering on those planets are a scatterer issue. while I fixed it somewhat on Earth I cannot say the same about titan

19 hours ago, _Krieger_ said:

The atmosphere of Titan and that of some gas giants have flickering edges, and some planets have an atmosphere ring with a hard edge around them.

Just dropping in to say that the flickering edges should only happen if you are observing a far-away system in map view. i.e if you are orbiting earth and looking at titan in map view. It shouldn't happen if you're orbiting titan and looking at titan, I believe it is not planet/config dependent but dependent on distance from active ship. I'll let you guys confirm this or correct me if I'm mistaken.

Edited by blackrack

5 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Just dropping in to say that the flickering edges should only happen if you are observing a far-away system in map view. i.e if you are orbiting earth and looking at titan in map view. It shouldn't happen if you're orbiting titan and looking at titan, I believe it is not planet/config dependent but dependent on distance from active ship. I'll let you guys confirm this or correct me if I'm mistaken.

Another Floating Point issue?

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

I can definitely confirm this, as I flew a ship to every planet and moon with a scatterer setting. 

So folks these are my finished values. Maybe they can also work in windows but in OS X they look gorgeous. 

@Squelch7 @selfish_meme could you please test those? You only need to change the orange fields in your scatterer config text files of each planets (6 values)

ukOIWGy.jpg

I managed to come very close to the pic of @Berlin 's setting.

For me it is perfect.

@blackrack Could you pretty please also just look at those and confirm or destroy my thoughts. 

After some testing I recognized that I could somewhat raise the Radius/RL factor at smaller then stock planets and lower it at bigger then stock planets to get rid of the artifacts with lower experimentalAtmoScale. Not exactly like this but it was a rule of thumb to get started. As you can see the values are a little bit different. The rest was trial and error. It works and looks almost like Berlins settings.

If I wanted to share the settings files, where should I upload them and am I allowed to?

I made the Settings.cfg my configs and backups as SettingsBackup.cfg of the provided SSRSS configs.

Edited by lCristol
meh, wordsNstuff

48 minutes ago, lCristol said:

I can definitely confirm this, as I flew a ship to every planet and moon with a scatterer setting. 

So folks this are my finished values. Maybe they can also work in windows but in OS X they look gorgeous. 

@Squelch7 @selfish_meme could you please test those? You only need to change the orange fields in your scatterer config text files of each planets (6 values)

ukOIWGy.jpg

I managed to come very close to the pic of @Berlin 's setting.

For me it is perfect.

@blackrack Could you pretty please also just look at those and confirm or destroy my thoughts. 

After some testing I recognized that I could somewhat raise the Radius/RL factor at smaller then stock planets and raise it at smaller then stock planets to get rid of the artifacts with lower experimentalAtmoScale. Not exactly like this but it was a rule of thumb to get started. As you can see the values are a little bit different. The rest was trial and error. It works and looks almost like Berlins settings.

If I wanted to share the settings files, where should I upload them and am I allowed to?

I made the Settings.cfg my configs and backups as SettingsBackup.cfg of the provided SSRSS configs.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would share your cfg.  Just upload it to Dropbox and share it here.  Thanks for doing this BTW. 

Sorry I can't respond very quickly today.  I'm in class and trying to finish my thesis. So i'm busy busy today. 

Edited by Berlin

5 minutes ago, Berlin said:

I would greatly appreciate it if you would share your cfg.  Just upload it to Dropbox and share it here.  Thanks for doing this BTW. 

Done and done:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jc5bo10u0uyia6r/AABia63E8SAu5SDTE270JtZBa?dl=0

@selfish_meme If you test this and still have artifacts - especially those under 160000km at Earth - raise the experimentalAtmoScale in 0.1 steps I'll guarantee they'll vanish at some point. I just today had the same while testing.

Edited by lCristol

1 minute ago, lCristol said:

Done and done:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jc5bo10u0uyia6r/AABia63E8SAu5SDTE270JtZBa?dl=0

@selfish_meme If you test this and still have artifacts - especially those under 160000km raise the experimentalAtmoScale in 0.1 steps I'll guarantee they'll vanish at some point. I just today had the same while testing.

Did you happen to go into each scatterer config point to check for the artifacts?  

Edited by Berlin

19 minutes ago, Berlin said:

Did you happen to go into each scatterer config point to check for the artifacts?  

Nope, I read this a few times here but those are - I think - global values. I didn't edit the altitude configs but have flown through them. Rg,Rt and Rl are not found anywhere else in the config and neither experimentalAtmoScale. 

I flew a small ship with 28TWR (and infinite fuel) directly - at 70000m/s orbital velocity the system is surprisingly static ;D hyperedit is for quitters - to each planet/moon with scatterer and went into a highly elliptic polar orbit. In the end no artifacts were seen at any altitude.

Edited by lCristol

Working like a charm on Earth. Beautiful! Going to try infinite-fueling it to Venus and Mars.

Edit: Yep, crash-landed on Mars to check the full extent--looked perfect all the way down.

Edited by Squelch7

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

Yeah, it flickered when I looked at them in map view from LEO, thanks for the feedback.

Cheers!