[DEV HALTED][1.3] CxAerospace: Stations Parts Pack v1.6.2 [2017-5-24]

cxg2827

On 8/2/2016 at 11:54 PM, cxg2827 said:

Some dev shots of the truss docking ports based off the Modified Rocketdyne Truss Attachment System (MRTAS).

The docking ports have been modeled this way since I wanted them to work with the P5 truss sections. These will definitely be more of a challenge to dock with.

What will probably need to happen is have the docking magnetism be very weak, and kick in at a very short distance. I'm thinking at the point that the Passive port's coarse alignment guide's pin's are just starting to go in the coarse alignment cups. But I have testing ahead of me to figure out what will work best. 

Passive

Reveal hidden contents

OTOB3IW.png

Active

Reveal hidden contents

9DOgmiv.png

Proposed Magnetism engagement distance

Reveal hidden contents

WJPJhQC.png

Docked

Reveal hidden contents

EvrqnVo.png

That's some pretty awesome stuff. My only concern is, as you stated, will be the docking. But I rather like the possibility of being able to build truss segments in orbit while not needing to use docking ports in between the truss segments. 

14 hours ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

That's some pretty awesome stuff. My only concern is, as you stated, will be the docking.

Well, I got the MRTAS textures partially completed tonight as well as setup the colliders, and tested them in game.

It's a bit more challenging, but its still doable without much frustration. I kept the same capture distance as the stock ports but throttled down the force a good amount. I have an idea to simplify the active port collider a bit more to make it just a little easier to align and hard dock. I don't think a soft docking feature will be needed for these.

fYrRp3M.png

@cxg2827, IDK if this has been discussed before, and if it been I'm sorry for bringing it up again, but would it be possible to have this ETS core module as a future addition to the pack? :)

challenger-sml-jpg.210391

possibly have it a 3.75m part (or maybe even bigger, like 4.375m just so it is closer to a 64% scale Skylab/S-IVB) with an attach node to install the truss

they have a model file for it available at their wiki if it helps: http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/doku.php?id=timelines:eyes_turned_skyward_3d_models

7 hours ago, tater said:

Ever considered Nautilus X-like parts?

I actually have, but the only one on my radar at the moment is the centrifuge demonstrator  (in the 2.X section of my roadmap). But I've been waiting until there is a way to use Blendshapes in KSP (I believe @Shadowmage found a solution). I believe @Angel-125's DSEV mod pack might eventually include Nautilus-X parts, so there is that to look forward to as well.

I have had a DSEV parts pack on my mind for a while but nothing set in stone yet.

5 minutes ago, cxg2827 said:

I actually have, but the only one on my radar at the moment is the centrifuge demonstrator  (in the 2.X section of my roadmap). But I've been waiting until there is a way to use Blendshapes in KSP (I believe @Shadowmage found a solution). I believe @Angel-125's DSEV mod pack might eventually include Nautilus-X parts, so there is that to look forward to as well.

I have had a DSEV parts pack on my mind for a while but nothing set in stone yet.

NAUTILUS-X is definitely on my radar after I finish a few parts in MOLE and Pathfinder. Getting pretty vlose to done, too. :)

28 minutes ago, tater said:

His smallest is still larger than the centrifuge demonstrator, however.

The plan for me at least was to use the demonstrator to get my feet wet in rigging and animating an inflatable (with a relatively quick/easy internal IVA) before I committed to making some larger crewable infatables.

I also had an idea to use that demonstrator for some type of long-term experiment that would be required to be completed in order to unlock tech nodes specific for larger DSEV-capable centrifuges.

Edited by cxg2827
typo

Some Progress shots. Still doing texturing on the truss segments. I'm planning on including normal and diffuse in the next release so things will be taking a little bit longer than expected.

Z1 got a slight revamp and texture update. I overlooked some protrusions where the truss attachment system is located. I added these so the MRTAS ports can be attached on the Z1 and not just be floating in space.

(Note:For those with existing stations that have the Z1, it already has an integral docking node, so you can still attach a passive MRTAS to the top of Z1 without adding an Active MRTAS port)

RL pic

Spoiler

pmpDUDV.png

Updated CX Z1 truss (handrails are functional):

Spoiler

VcyU8by.png

With MRTAS (Active) Port

Spoiler

HJ4ItVe.png

And truss:

Spoiler

dfcqH84.png

Random Truss Dev Shot (functional continuous handrail sections):

Spoiler

GXvJGb0.png

Beautiful, but more importantly, functional. I've always loved the integrated handrails on your models. I'm looking forward to swapping out the habtech truss portions for yours once they're released.

Edited by Doc Shaftoe

58 minutes ago, StarStreak2109 said:

This were misbehaving Kerbals are put?

When the Z1 was first previewed, Venom fittingly described it as

On 5/22/2016 at 11:51 PM, VenomousRequiem said:

T H E S H A M E C U B E

@cxg2827

Beautiful updates, cant wait for the release :D

A bit Nitpicking about the Quest Airlock and it's IVA:

the IVA is positioned, so that when the airlock is facing "up", then it is correct, but when you rotate the airlock to face "front" (as on the real ISS) then the IVA is rotated wrong.

not a big deal but all pics i am looking of the ISS, the airlock is pointing either down or towards Columbus Lab, never to the top as your IVA would suggest :wink:

35 minutes ago, cxg2827 said:

@Jasseji, so you are saying i need to rotate the IVA by 180 degrees on the central long axis?

Here it is visible best on ISS, the airlock is pointing "down", away from the Truss assembly:

STS-114_External_Storage_Platform_2_crop

Here is a screenshot from KSP with IVA overlay on:

http://imgur.com/IoHjt38

IoHjt38.png

Edited by Jasseji