KSP expansion packs confirmed

Would you like expansion pack to be added to KSP?  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like expansion pack to be added to KSP?

• Yes, anything for more KSP
    • Yes, but only if they are really big stuff (multiplayer for example)
    • No, the game gives me everything I want already
    • No, I enjoy an expanded KSP, but with mods only
    • No, absolutely not, DLCs are evil
    • I don't know/don't care
    • Not sure but I'm interested, I'll wait to see what they are

We have a date for 1.2 (:D), but there is another important information one could miss/skip:

There’s an important amount of new content, besides this new update, that we’re currently working on. This includes more free updates, full expansion packs with an incredible amount of new content and much more!

It might be the time to start an actual discussion thread instead of just mentioning it here and there (though it might already exist, if so then just merge/delete/close this one).

So discuss. Please stay polite and don't make assumptions about the nature of the expansion packs (note the word DLC is not used) when we have no information on them besides the fact that they are planned for some time in the future.

NOTE: for the poll, I have assumed paid expansion packs when writing it for some reason; but please consider both paid and free packs when answering it or writing a comment.

Edited by Gaarst

I'm assuming it will be things like the football and asteroid day packs, little bits here and there which eventually become part of the stock game (besides space-grade footballs) but with much more content. Hopefully an 'incredible amount of content' will come our way soon. :kiss:

My biggest concern would be them packaging up a bunch of mods that we've enjoyed for free and offering them as paid DLC.  I would hope an expansion would take the game well beyond what is currently possible with mods.

3 minutes ago, Avonix said:

I'm assuming it will be things like the football and asteroid day packs, little bits here and there which eventually become part of the stock game (besides space-grade footballs) but with much more content. Hopefully an 'incredible amount of content' will come our way soon. :kiss:

You're making a fair point, I've assumed paid expansion packs but forgot about the Asteroid mod and football thingy, I'm correcting OP

3 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

You're making a fair point, I've assumed paid expansion packs but forgot about the Asteroid mod and football thingy, I'm correcting OP

"free updates, full expansion packs with an incredible amount of new content and much more"

To me it sounds pretty clear that free updates and expansion packs are two separate things on the list.

Edited by pellinor

1 minute ago, Gaarst said:

No prob, I forgot about them too until today (which reminds me i still have a game of Mun Arch Kerball to play at some point). Hopefully they wont go down the Payday 2 route, but that's highly unlikely.

1 minute ago, tg626 said:

It may be how we're getting Porkjets new engines 

The more realistic ones released recently? That could be interesting. I've yet to try them out, although anything by Porkjet is a plus in my books.

1 minute ago, pellinor said:

"free updates, full expansion packs with an incredible amount of new content and much more"

To me it sounds pretty clear that free updates and expansion packs are two separate things on the list.

1.2 is a free update, but the Asteroid Day mod can be considered a free expansion pack (definitely not an update).

Just now, regex said:

vOv

I get updates and expansion packs for free, so no worries here.

Same here, but not everyone bought the game before 2013/2012/1925/whenever-they-said-you'd-get-free-updates-until.

Just now, Gaarst said:

Same here, but not everyone bought the game before 2013/2012/1925/whenever-they-said-you'd-get-free-updates-until.

Nothing wrong with paid DLCs, the game's pretty complete as-is. The problem is DRM because any DLC is basically a mod (unless they patch the main executable? vOv)

My take on the events of the day is that the era of free lunches is over. All that will be free in the future is bug fixes/minor updates. Major new content will be in "expansion packs" that will be paid downloads. And everyone on staff who was unhappy with that decision was shown the door.

Am I the only one who finds their Orwellian Newspeak announcements kinda creepy?

I voted "Yes but only for big things" even though I think Multiplayer should be in the base game.

Not because I want it (I don't particularly) but because you can't just snap in a 'multiplayer module' and leave it at that. It affects every part of the game and the game must be coded around it.

My examples of expansion packs worth paying for (which I believe I too would get for free) would be a full new solar system for $15, or a new gas giant with rings and 4-6 moons for $5.

3 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

My examples of expansion packs worth paying for (which I believe I too would get for free) would be a full new solar system for $15, or a new gas giant with rings and 4-6 moons for $5.

I disagree on that one. A new solar system is very easy to make as a mod, methinks expansion packs should be things that expand the scope/framework of the game.

I'd buy a DLC that brings nothing in-game if it allows new types of mods to be developed.

1 minute ago, Spartwo said:

Expansion packs aren't a new thing. If you bought before a certain date you'll get them for free.

I know and I'll get them for free, but I think it's actually the first time that expansion packs are mentioned as actual planned features, not just some hypothetical thing in a distant future.

I definitely don't mind throwing money at squad for new content, they have been feeding me updates for years at this point and at this point are one of the few success stories for steams early access, (I bought it threw their store) 
As far as DLC/expansions go, they should be things that we dont need but vastly improve the experience,
A full thought out and supported Multiplayer, ( I know every one is talking about but i thought i would add in my 2 cents)
An Extra terrestrial life form expansion, would be cool, 
Maybe a fleshed out Seaport and parts to compliment.

They also should stand on their own as in squad should not rely on the idea of modders to add in the finishing touches to the expansions (not say they would but throwing it out there)

thats my 2 cents

I have an open mind, but I'm very critical of xpacs usually.

For example, say Squad added a full outer planets pack complete with Comets and maybe an Oort Cloud of asteroids...  we already have the OPM mod which over the years has blossomed to greatness.
Say they add a tech tree expansion with more solar panels, engines, tanks some new plane engines...  Mods already provide such things.  Ok, some are no longer being maintained properly, but still.
If they add a stock life support, maybe we'll like the more difficult one ?

But getting ... ok @5thHorseman already beat me to it.  I was about to suggest a Gas Planet #2 with rings and 7 unique and gorgeous moons. Stock interstellar + new systems could be interesting, even more so if we could decide in which system to place our KSC. (I would love a fantasy Gliese 581 system... see spoiler)

Spoiler

Gliese_581_-_2010.jpg

Keeping in mind what we thought of it in this configuration, so 581d is a huge waterworld, C could be habitable, but barely, and G is the sweetspot.

Edited by Francois424

I guess the question for me is "are expansion packs just Squad-developed mods?". IMO KerbNet and the new Comm system could really have been released as expansions and there were already mods out there that fulfilled those roles for me. Other examples are life support and new planet packs - also already tackled by numerous mods. The same is also true for parts packs. In all of these it would be interesting to see Squad's version of these packages, but I'd like to be free to choose the mod version over Squad's if I wanted to.

Also (importantly) Squad versions will likely work on console, which isn't the case for mods.

Edited by tjt

20 hours ago, Kelderek said:

My biggest concern would be them packaging up a bunch of mods that we've enjoyed for free and offering them as paid DLC.  I would hope an expansion would take the game well beyond what is currently possible with mods.

Well mods are owned by the mod authors... Squad can't just bundle them up in the game without permission (depending on the license obviously).

If you mean "Take an idea that a mod has done, and put our own implementation in the game" - well there isn't alot that hasn't been done by mods.

More planets are the obvious choice for an expansion, but should squad not add them because of Kopernicus? Seems silly to me.

Edited by severedsolo

NO

Ok Squad is not EA but

İ hate dlc

making dlc for a game that made for modding ?

All great things ı found in my short lifetime is became s---

As example SAMP truckmania became 10 players max per day server

Jowood productions that made neighbors from hell became defunct

EA buyed maxis

EA buyed westwood studios

İrrational games stopped making SWAT Series

and LOTS MORE

Squad if you want to be a developer that everyone loves dont do dlc

but if you are traitors i dont care...

i will play games that made BEFORE TRUE GAMİNG CRASH OF HUMANİTY

"DLC" for this game really only comes in with "new gameplay" style updates. Such as "submarines" or "cars". The base game and physics could work great for lots of additional features.

Things that need a little more devotion and time than a mod usually gets to become "stock". So for example inflatables/hot air balloons. Where most mods came and went, would need backing to keep updates in game.

Sadly, business [money] speaks louder. We are more likely to get "Star Wars DLC" with a couple of skins and 2 parts (or 2 pre built craft styles, X-wing and Tie fighter).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.