Mission idea: Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

1 hour ago, Majorjim! said:

Yeah they will far too big and ugly for my cute little rover. :D I have a rear

Hide contents

spoiler :cool:

for in air corrections but there's no getting around the wheels inherent breaking strength.. I don't want too many surfaces on the rover, it will spoil the looks. I have a good brake ratio between rear and front so I can brake at high speed so that coupled with jet engine cut will have to suffice.. I will have to concentrate really very hard indeed to whats ahead!

Well, my experience with the Charger R/D is that a ballistic trajectory with those airbrakes quickly turns into a smooth, slow descent. The only thing needed is some kind of built in lift/drag & CoM balance (I don't use reaction wheels) so the car has the tendency to land on all 4 or rear wheels first. Nose down is often unhealthy, the front has to cope with much more force than when landing rear wheels first and the rest of the momentum being transformed into rotational torque, pushing the nose down and when the front wheels land they absorb the rest of the energy.

Usually I clip multiple control surfaces into one, exactly for not spoiling the looks.

@Azimech Was just asking in a general way. But heh, modifying the config to make generator use only LF, would be enough for the contest.

@DrunkenKerbalnaut Also, I find out that autostrut take place when you load up a craft. No autostrut showing on editor, And when load the craft, ... BOOM. They appear. What exactly is called in the load sequence? Some .CFG? Did not find any that I can modify directly in order to prevent this behavior.

'cause modifying the config is apprently not enough.. :'(  (ForceHeaviest to Off)

If you happen to have an idea on how to do so... I'll buy.

Edited by NKL
missing word(s).

2 hours ago, Draconiator said:

I just got a new idea...if this really takes off, you could extend it.  a KSC to KSC2 rally, with stages about as long as these.  but eh, this one first hehe

2 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

That is a really good idea :) 

It is, but you will have to cross a river.

I would prefer KSC2 to Temple rally.

PvTZkE4.png

If I do this challenge I will force you to build a plane to carry your car to the KSC2 (starting point). ^_^

11 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

So I noticed something during testing ..

I used jr docking ports on my refueling  rig and on the front of my buggy to be used for refueling at each stage ... after refueling I decoupled and the mission time clock was reset to 0 :rolleyes:

If it is between stages that is not a problem.

You can still time the next stage using your screenshots.

Besides, having the clock set back to zero makes timing the next stage easier.

Or was that what you where going for ?

12 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

My thoughts exactly :wink:

Nice discovery, since I'm not docking I will have to calculate my stage 2 test run myself.

Start:

guFDO0x.png

Finish:

m0o9Ecb.png

1:46:50 - 2:01:34 = 14.44 minutes.

Pfffff, I hate doing the math... <_<

Edited by Triop

I made stage 3 but lost a solar panel...BREAKES are key during this stage...:confused:

Start:

KwklFsj.png

Finish:

izQUoDB.png

I timed my start to make calculation easier, time : 16:52.

Edited by Triop

10 hours ago, Azimech said:

Well, my experience with the Charger R/D is that a ballistic trajectory with those airbrakes quickly turns into a smooth, slow descent. The only thing needed is some kind of built in lift/drag & CoM balance (I don't use reaction wheels) so the car has the tendency to land on all 4 or rear wheels first. Nose down is often unhealthy, the front has to cope with much more force than when landing rear wheels first and the rest of the momentum being transformed into rotational torque, pushing the nose down and when the front wheels land they absorb the rest of the energy.

Usually I clip multiple control surfaces into one, exactly for not spoiling the looks.

LOL dude your entire rover is made from surfaces no wonder it has a flat glide trajectory, it's an aircraft. :D

with a single rear spoiler, I'm not clipping them, no point, there is no getting around it. I will just have to be careful. 

Guys, believe me, don't go overengineering buggy's.

50 m/s top wil do, I bet nobody made it to stage 4 yet....You will need brakes more then speed.

Talking about stage 4:

Start:

xLBXLiR.png

Finish:

Bl8g7mK.png

So far I've lost a solar panel, but I think I can make it.

My average speed is 30-50 m/s doing small jumps,(they can hit you when you don't suspect).

Most of the time I was hitting the breakes going steep down.

Anyway, my training time for stage 4 = 12:47 minutes.....I never made it this far, wish me luck.

Dakar is no joke. &)

Edited by Triop

1 minute ago, Azimech said:

Ehm ... @Triop you apparently missed my post that I finished the whole tour ... so your bet about no-one making it to stage 4 yet ... Ye might want to rethink that ;-)

Sorry, I must have missed it.

I get so many posts/reactions since I've started this challenge, it takes a lot of time for me to keep up.

My solar cargo bay made it all the way, but I hereby call that method bull**** for competition. I feel dirty just looking at it haha. 

Seriously, I had to try to break it. It could bomb the biggest drop-offs at full tilt, as long as you approached somewhat perpendicular to the crest. 

7 minutes ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

My solar cargo bay made it all the way, but I hereby call that method bull**** for competition. I feel dirty just looking at it haha. 

Seriously, I had to try to break it. It could bomb the biggest drop-offs at full tilt, as long as you approached somewhat perpendicular to the crest. 

So ... what's wrong with that? Ain't that proper engineering?

9 minutes ago, Azimech said:

So ... what's wrong with that? Ain't that proper engineering?

Using the given toolset, yes. But let's take into account the seriously over-spec'd crash resistance of mk3 bays. Of course, there's plenty of reason for them to be so tough, but when compared to other rover-specific components -hell, even structural components- they are OP. it suits my definition of "exploit". 

Which inherently, isn't necessarily bad. Boost flaps simulate realistic tech such as de-clutching a transmission. Overlapped wheels still impart a weight penalty. Etc. 

But if another participant in this rally wanted equal crash-resistance, but also wanted an original design that DIDNT use a cargo bay, they would likely be unable to achieve it without also resorting to exploits. 

EDIT: still totally using it for a Duna base :)

Edited by DrunkenKerbalnaut

1 minute ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

But if another participant in this rally wanted equal crash-resistance, but also wanted an original design that DIDNT use a cargo bay, they would likely be unable to achieve it without also resorting to exploits. 

Well that's the whole thing isn't it? For a few years now I've been dreaming of a future development of this game ... a spin-off. One focused on racing. I believe this platform has the potential to attract a new kind of player.  Imagine ... someone developing the engines ... another one developing the gearbox or/and suspension. Someone creating bodywork. I'm grateful @sal_vager for making my topic TOTM but I think this topic deserves the attention for the next.

Squad finally has an inkling ... there's a whole new market out there ... space is only the beginning.

4 hours ago, Triop said:

It is, but you will have to cross a river.

I would prefer KSC2 to Temple rally.

PvTZkE4.png

If I do this challenge I will force you to build a plane to carry your car to the KSC2 (starting point). ^_^

I would rather do this. I've done the KSP to KSP2 run a few times. It's a real breaker of private parts, if you get my meaning. My best time was around 8 hours 40-ish minutes (did it in 0.19.1). This run would be a real Dakar run, with deserts.

Edited by GDJ
Wasn't sure if "Genitals" was allowed or not. Decided not to tempt a trigger happy moderator.

17 minutes ago, GDJ said:

I would rather do this. I've done the KSP to KSP2 run a few times. It's a real breaker of private parts, if you get my meaning. My best time was around 8 hours 40-ish minutes (did it in 0.19.1). This run would be a real Dakar run, with deserts.

(Anyone) Feel free to host the challenge, I'll be busy hosting the Kerbal Dakar, so I don't have the time.

I would love to participate . &)

Off topic: A long distance polar dragster race is what I am waiting for :lol:

Edited by Triop

Well, I did a quick and dirty path from KSC2 to the pyramids.

Stats:

330 km long
2/3rds of it is desert and rocks. Some green stuff, but not much.

Comparison between current Dakar 2017 and proposed rally:

82QOQPb.png

Edited by GDJ

1 minute ago, GDJ said:

Well, I did a quick and dirty path from KSC2 to the pyramids.

Stats:

330 km long
2/3rds of it is desert and rocks. Some green stuff, but not much.

Comparison between current Dakar 2017 and proposed rally:

82QOQPb.png

Start a thread and link it here. You don't necessarily need to host the event, but it'd be a good way to gauge interest. 

Just now, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

Start a thread and link it here. You don't necessarily need to host the event, but it'd be a good way to gauge interest. 

Unfortunately I'm doing a challenge myself and just waiting on one participant to submit their plane. BUT I have no problem giving somebody the save file if one wants to do it. Shoot, 3/4 of the planning is done already.