Mission idea: Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

In think my stock rover can make it in 1.5 hours... just made a huge flip west of mount whoopstooshort and jeb wrecked the Baha rally cart completely :D. Great track! Fun challenge!

meBTxNu.png

2 hours ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

About to try stage 2 at night. Or I could just take the roll-bar lights off... 

Anyways wish me luck :D

Just have lots of lights. You'll be fine.
Besides, driving at night is FAR more fun.

Alright @Triop, here is the modified flag you ordered. It's size is 256 x 256 because it needs to work with nebula decals, so your gonna have to edit it a bit to make it flag sized.

ccYIlyx.png

I also made myself a couple of extra logos to make my truck feel a little more authentic:

Firstly the driver names/flags that are used in pretty much every type of rally, form WRC to Dakar.

qy3Oh5Y.png

And of course a nice little number for my truck.

40nx8VL.png

The red and orange bar's are where the sponsors usually go. But, since we don't have any fitting sponsors, i just colored them according to my logo (also my profile-pick) and left them blank.

I really like this idea, got a 2 variants of a rover that I'll use.  Couple of Qs. It says we can take time to perform repairs between stages but not replace the rover, is that right? So if you have a serious crash and say loose a wheel but still make it to the end of one stage do you have to keep the same (sans wheel) rover to complete the rest of the stages? Some replacements could be done with KAS/KIS but what about if you're going for a stock entry (and anyway replacing a wheel in the exact mirror position with KAS/KIS could be rather tricky).  Would it be permissible to fly a backup rover out between stages?

3 minutes ago, katateochi said:

I really like this idea, got a 2 variants of a rover that I'll use.  Couple of Qs. It says we can take time to perform repairs between stages but not replace the rover, is that right? So if you have a serious crash and say loose a wheel but still make it to the end of one stage do you have to keep the same (sans wheel) rover to complete the rest of the stages? Some replacements could be done with KAS/KIS but what about if you're going for a stock entry (and anyway replacing a wheel in the exact mirror position with KAS/KIS could be rather tricky).  Would it be permissible to fly a backup rover out between stages?

This deserves attention. A lot of the more vocal participants seem to be playing with some sort of modded repairs in mind. Tagging @Triop, so it doesn't get missed. 

1 hour ago, katateochi said:

I'm all for repairs, even on a stage.

But to keep it in the spirit of the Dakar I can't allow backup rovers.

3 hours ago, kapteenipirk said:

Alright @Triop, here is the modified flag you ordered. It's size is 256 x 256 because it needs to work with nebula decals, so your gonna have to edit it a bit to make it flag sized.

ccYIlyx.png

I also made myself a couple of extra logos to make my truck feel a little more authentic:

Firstly the driver names/flags that are used in pretty much every type of rally, form WRC to Dakar.

qy3Oh5Y.png

And of course a nice little number for my truck.

40nx8VL.png

The red and orange bar's are where the sponsors usually go. But, since we don't have any fitting sponsors, i just colored them according to my logo (also my profile-pick) and left them blank.

Sweet !

On 16/12/2016 at 2:21 PM, Azimech said:

so the car has the tendency to land on all 4 or rear wheels first. Nose down is often unhealthy,

That's interesting. With my rover (quite a short wheel base with COM in the middle) I find that if I land on the rear wheels it bounces up and does a forward flip, but if I land nose first it lands smoothly. I might need to try tuning the spring settings. 

1 hour ago, Triop said:

I'm all for repairs, even on a stage.

That does require using a mod though right? I don't think my design could easily be repaired with KAS/KIS anyway. Are there any other mods out there that can be used to "restore" a craft if it supplied with spare parts, but restore it to how it was built in the SPH (ie with mirror/radial symmetry, recessed parts etc), rather than the sort of fixes you can do with KAS/KIS?

Are you planning on having all entrants publish their rovers as part of the entry? (I could suggest a site for that :wink:, maybe even setup a dedicated hangar for it).  I was thinking that it would be really cool if someone (with a fairly beefy computer) could then load all the rovers and park them together for a photo shoot. If only it was possible to see all the rovers racing together, it would look like a scene from the whacky races!

2 minutes ago, katateochi said:

That does require using a mod though right? I don't think my design could easily be repaired with KAS/KIS anyway. Are there any other mods out there that can be used to "restore" a craft if it supplied with spare parts, but restore it to how it was built in the SPH (ie with mirror/radial symmetry, recessed parts etc), rather than the sort of fixes you can do with KAS/KIS?

One thing that is helping me with the biggest problem (bent wheels) is mounting them to a cubic octagonal strut. When designing, use the strut to do all your offset. Then if you have to swap one at the end of the stage, you just slap it back in it's place, centered on the strut. Some tiny spaceship lander gear clipped into your vehicle serves well as "jack stands". 

If you want to go full stock, but still be able to swap... Docking port shenanigans?

2 minutes ago, katateochi said:

Are you planning on having all entrants publish their rovers as part of the entry? (I could suggest a site for that :wink:, maybe even setup a dedicated hangar for it).  I was thinking that it would be really cool if someone (with a fairly beefy computer) could then load all the rovers and park them together for a photo shoot. If only it was possible to see all the rovers racing together, it would look like a scene from the whacky races!

Yep, mods are allowed

"Are you planning on having all entrants publish their rovers as part of the entry?"

I like the idea but I don't think it is realistic: would take a lot of work and time + some people just want to race + scares newbies away. :lol:

1 hour ago, Triop said:

"Are you planning on having all entrants publish their rovers as part of the entry?"

I like the idea but I don't think it is realistic: would take a lot of work and time + some people just want to race + scares newbies away. :lol:

I think it should be encouraged but not made mandatory 

3 minutes ago, mrmcp1 said:

You could make a sub-thread in the fanpage section if you like and promote it here, see how many people sign up.

Hi all regarding repairs, referencing the actual DAKAR rule book,  the only thing you are not to change is the engine, the engine that starts must be the one that finishes, for all intents and purposes as long as the vehicle safety is not compromised then anything goes,  needless to say in the real world NOBODY will change an entire chassis as is too expensive and not easily transportable,  so if you destroy your rover to the point it is undriveable, even if it had wheels it wouldn't work  then i reckon in all fairness it should be as in the real world game over !  This  prevents people going flat out time and again and constantly replacing rovers and it reflects some of the real issue faced when competing in a safari event.

I'll go on record now as saying that I thing changing the chassis/rover is bad and should be banned right now, if I screw up I don't want an easy out, surely it's better to think about what you are doing than just nail it and hope for the best.

The terrain ahead can be read, there is a pattern believe it of not in how one feature leads into another , if you find it you can walk a stage fairly painlessly , for example stage 1 is either instant doom or a walk in the park depending on which way you go.

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

This is an awesome idea.

My vehicle development department would like to sign up for this. I don´t know if I´ll find the time in january though... maybe. I´ll try my luck with designing an offroad racer. :)

QVl37Iv.png

Edited by KerrMü

1 minute ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

I gotta admit, it took longer than I expected before someone started referencing the REAL Dakar rule book :P .

In this case i had to, I've looked at it before , it's an epic read as you'd expect, and some of the rules would seriously ruin your day and have no place in a fun challenge , i cant think of motorsport anywhere on or in anything ( like anything involving engines and wheels or props so i watch and have watched pretty much everything)  in which you can change your whole vehicle for a completely new one (except formula E. but thats different as the whole damn cars a very dangerous battery)  :) so I think it's a bit off

Just now, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

In this case i had to..

I hear ya. Just giving you some sh...  Stuff :) Man, it's a lot better than some racing organizations. I think it's formula Miata, they provide sealed drivetrains and ECUs, and the team pretty much has the choice of ballast location, and not much else, haha. 

6 minutes ago, KerrMü said:

This is an awesome idea.

My vehicle development department would like to sign up for this. I don´t know if I´ll find the time in january though... maybe. I´ll try my luck with designing an offroad racer. :)

QVl37Iv.png

Nice rides. Should you not be able to join, there's some scuttlebutt about organizing an Old KSC to Desert Ruins rally next. 

2 hours ago, mrmcp1 said:

Well ... although it's not a real competition, I don't mind sharing some pictures but sharing the vehicle(s) ... I'd rather do that after the race ;-)

3 hours ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

One thing that is helping me with the biggest problem (bent wheels) is mounting them to a cubic octagonal strut. When designing, use the strut to do all your offset. Then if you have to swap one at the end of the stage, you just slap it back in it's place, centered on the strut. Some tiny spaceship lander gear clipped into your vehicle serves well as "jack stands". 

If you want to go full stock, but still be able to swap... Docking port shenanigans?

100% of what you've written could've been mine.

Yep, already busy with designing something, some kind of truck to replace the wheels completely. If the XSIVV breaks a wheel, it can drop it entirely and drive on like a lizard losing its tail.

51 minutes ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

I gotta admit, it took longer than I expected before someone started referencing the REAL Dakar rule book :P .

Incredibly enough, unknowingly I was scanning the same document today.

5 minutes ago, Azimech said:

...XSIVV breaks a wheel, it can drop it entirely and drive on like a lizard losing its tail.

When I was busy fretting an Elcano rover, the thought occurred to me to use mini rovers that carried the boat over land, and they would load into a cargo bay over water. It rapidly pegged my personal part count limit haha. 

I finished my rover entry a few days ago but I am finishing up a video as I want to make a thread for it.

It's built for looks primarily, no chance of repairs alas, I don't want any of those mods.. Even though the wheels are attached to cubic struts. :D

I am 100% I won't win on times, I will have to be careful of drop offs, you will see what I mean in the video I am making, but in terms of style, it's a winner!

The pure elec, four seat version is far less dangerous so is a good contender for the pure elec class I think.