What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

The last page of the "KSP-1 Modding: Release" subforum with a KSP-1 mod marked as "1.12.*", which I have seen after getting through from page 1, was 85 of 168, 

Total space occupied by the downloaded mods (including grabbed youtubes and imgurs), is ~150 GB (including ~59 GB of all Kopernicus mods and ~87 GB of others).

I expect, it will be ~200 GB when I finish.

Total space of the previously downloaded old mod versions ~80 GB (including numerous duplicates), but this is is without other old downloads on other external HDD drives, which are obviously obsolete and not needed anymore.

I mean, maybe this info is useful for some sociological purposes, idk.

To save the mods and save the space, I extract all versions of same mod into one directory, and 7-zip them into one archive.
As they mostly consist of same files, the archive is several times smaller than if keep them in their original archives.

The latest version of every mod I also store in a separated archive as hot reserve.

I don't really need them/all of them, but what if I will need something later? Thus, I pack them instead of removing.
Though, I keep only last versions of the planet packs, because unlikely I can ever launch an old KSP release to open and old planet pack version.
Except the KittopiaTech planet packs, because they are history.

Usually I use this great utility to search/remove the duplicates.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/search_my_files.html

Edited by kerbiloid

i built a new rotation sensor based on the as5600 magnetic rotation sensor. its really a hall sensor array with four sensors, a dsp and most importantly no analog outside the chip, the interface is i2c and it has 12 bit resolution. some 3d printing for the rotating armature and casement and i got a prototype unit to play around with. tomorrow i need to build another one before i try them out on the joystick of doom. 

i also got some as5048a units as well, similar sensor but with 14 bit resolution. they were more expensive so i only got 2 of those. they are designed for motor feedback so they are really fast and use the much faster spi inteface. they should be here on tuesday, along with the grub screws i need to properly refurbish the gimbals. the machine work has been fun, lots of drilling, tapping, filing, and using a cheap drill as a lathe. 

7oS5uJo.jpg

Bought a supercharger that said can provide 65w, 45w, and 30w in each socket at "Relax Mode". When I just plug in, I just realize that it has nothing to do with Apple:huh:

Edited by steve9728

i broke 3 drill bits today drilling and tapping holes for my joystick project. since these things are very old i did not trust the existing corroded threads, many of which were frozen and had to be drilled out (that cost me a couple bits in of itself, including an expensive carbide bit), not to mention the original grub screws were also corroded and many were stripped. so i decided to drill out and re tap all the holes for m3 and m3.5 threads, since i just got my grub screws. anyway i did about 8 gimbal drive sets, 2 gears, and 2 couplers. since the gears turned out to be steel rather than aluminium and the couplers are a somewhat tough steel, i was afraid to break the taps, so the brass gimbal sets got top billing, plus enough other parts to rebuild one complete joystick unit. will probibly tap all the gears tomorrow. the couplers need the most work since they have a sleeve that needs to be modified and a flange that needs to be dremeled off. not jobs i like to do in my room for the amount of shrapnel it produces. i also need to clean and polish all the shafts, and put flats on them with a file, slow tedius work. im gonna go back and revist the last 2 that i refurbed, because ive come up with new ways to  improve the conversion process. not to mention to convert them over to the new sensors.  anyway breaking a drill, or hell forbid a tap, is going to kill this project flat out till i can get more tooling.

Edited by Nuke

Okay this didn't happen to me, other than falling on the floor and having to pick myself up upon learning it.

x% of y is equal to y% of x

So for example 4% of 75 isn't really easy to figure out at first but if you switch the numbers to 75% of 4, the answer is 3.

My wife has decided to take up golf, mostly as a reason to go for a walk. As a self-taught golfer of 20+ years, I suck. Naturally, since she's only been swinging a club for two weeks and had one lesson, compared to me, she sucks. But that's to be expected. 

While golfing today, we ran into trouble at a water hazard (it's a hungry course, imma gonna stock up on used balls). One ball finally stopped in the reeds short of the water (instead of going sploosh) so she decided to play it safe and throw it over the ditch/smallpond/swamp and threw it directly. into. the. water. Freakin hilarious, at that point.

All in all, a decent day of golf for me, which isn't saying much. I managed my first birdie in years (to be expected when I was playing 1-2 times a year) as well as a couple of pars. I'll take it.

10 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

.. . As a self-taught golfer of 20+ years, I suck

Man, can I relate.  I tried to learn Golf at 38.  Never played more than 5-10 times per year in the intervening decades. 

I did have a fantastic clinic on short game - and so now the only club I am consistently capable with is the Sand Wedge.  Makes me a good choice for a Scramble (final approach shot under 50 yards?  I got this!) 

The one really good thing to happen to my game (and enjoyment) was to break my leg and tear my rotator cuff just before Covid. I'd still play - but I would just drive the cart to 150 from the hole and play from there.  Not attempting to bomb the driver made the rest of the game fun! 

I got a new job teaching History at a local high school.  I have free reign to develop the class - a good thing because they're using a new book and have no materials from previous years available. 

Classes start in 9 days and... I just got access to the book.  (urp) 

Thankfully, it's History - presuming the book doesn't say Napoleon was German or Mesopotamia is in South America... I got this. 

Edit:

... And, yeah, I do have to develop daily classes for two separate courses plus all other associated materials AND do the required administration work over the course of a week and a half! 

That's all slides, all videos, all assignments and tests - at least for the first unit in each class.  This semester is going to be a rolling build. 

11 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

the book doesn't say Napoleon was German

Does it explain, what the very word "German" means ("germanus" = "brotherly, congenerous" in Latin), and why are some "Germans" "Franks" ("free" in Latin)?

Ancient Roman were kissing smelly Northern barbarians and were proud of some of them being uncontrollable?

Any German tribe calling themselves Germans? Franks?

14 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Does it explain, what the very word "German" means ("germanus" = "brotherly, congenerous" in Latin), and why are some "Germans" "Franks" ("free" in Latin)?

Ancient Roman were kissing smelly Northern barbarians and were proud of some of them being uncontrollable?

Wait until it has to explains why all the snooty Prussians have Russian-sounding surnames.

14 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

It's high school.  In America.  I will count it a success when they correctly identify the continent Germany resides upon. 

http://thepigeonpress.org/american-students-flunk-geography/

Please don't drink the cold brewed coffee you put in the fridge for more than one night.

I have a habit that at the end of the day and putting water and coffee in the French Press pot and then putting it in the fridge at our office. The next morning, I can have an ice-cold cup of cold brew coffee. As it turned out, yesterday I had to go out to visit our client with our group at short notice and was out of the office until late at night before I could leave work. So, the cold brew sat in the fridge for two nights. I just drank this half an hour ago. I've already made three trips to the restroom because of the huge amount of caffeine. It feels like there's a... well... some revolutions in my stomach.

Edited by steve9728

58 minutes ago, steve9728 said:

Please don't drink the cold brewed coffee you put in the fridge for more than one night.

I have a habit that at the end of the day and putting water and coffee in the French Press pot and then putting it in the fridge at our office. The next morning, I can have an ice-cold cup of cold brew coffee. As it turned out, yesterday I had to go out to visit our client with our group at short notice and was out of the office until late at night before I could leave work. So, the cold brew sat in the fridge for two nights. I just drank this half an hour ago. I've already made three trips to the restroom because of the huge amount of caffeine. It feels like there's a... well... some revolutions in my stomach.

You're not supposed to leave the grounds in it!

I make a batch of cold brew twice a week or so, and after the 45 minutes it takes to brew (I have a machine that stirs it up so it brews much faster than the 8-12 hours most recommend) it sits in the fridge happily groundless for 3-4 days while I slowly drink it glass by glass.

Best. Coffee. Ever.

1 hour ago, steve9728 said:

I appreciate the suggestion and will be digging up my French press.

I was banned from making coffee at one job, and another one ended up with the coffee locked up under manager supervision.

Edit: Job #1 also told me that I was not allowed to bring chocolate covered coffee beans again.

7 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

But why?

Do you drink it cold, or do you add hot water to it?  I've heard both methods, but cold coffee has never appealed to me, unless I add a lot of sugar (or other additives1) to it.

1 But that isn't exactly work appropriate...

Edited by razark

10 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

10 minutes ago, razark said:

But why?

1 hour ago, steve9728 said:

I've already made three trips to the restroom because of the huge amount of caffeine. It feels like there's a... well... some revolutions in my stomach.

36 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

I've been thinking about it for a while, and I really should take your advice about which brews it for less time: because I'm using Illy's ground coffee in my office right now - it's the coarseness that can put in the coffee machine to make espresso, not the coarser one that I grind in my coffee grinder at home.

Damn my stomach

36 minutes ago, razark said:

Do you drink it cold, or do you add hot water to it?  I've heard both methods, but cold coffee has never appealed to me, unless I add a lot of sugar (or other additives1) to it.

Because I'm living in a sub-tropical city - there's 30℃ nearly every day. And the ac in our office needs time to chill the room down. My way to drink sometimes is only coffee without anything for emergencies (which means I got insomnia and couldn't find spirits liquid sleeping pills last night), or putting the coconut milk powder for chill. My way to make the cold brew is to put the room temp water in it and then put it in the fridge.

Edited by steve9728

11 minutes ago, steve9728 said:

Because I'm living in a sub-tropical city - there's 30℃ nearly every day.

Ok, sorry, I'm American.  Give me a moment to convert to Freedom Units:rolleyes:

It's hit 38 or more here the past few days, and not much lower for the past month.  And I'm on the coast, so the humidity only makes it worse.

14 minutes ago, steve9728 said:

the ac in our office needs time to chill the room down.

Sigh.  The AC in my apartment blows cold air, but there's apparently no insulation, so it's regularly hitting 32 inside.  The electricity bill is horrendous.

Ans still, I want my cup of coffee to be hot.

1 hour ago, razark said:

Edit: Job #1 also told me that I was not allowed to bring chocolate covered coffee beans again.

Best chocolate-covered coffee bean story:

So, I'm running a TTRPG campaign for my friends. I'm going over to their house for the weekly session. I stop over at TJs to pick up a snack, and I decide on chocolate-covered coffee beans. I open them up when I get to their house, and they are an instant hit. While we're playing, the host's four-year-old son comes over and asks me for some "candy", meaning the beans. I tell him (in the most sympathetic voice I can muster) that I don't think his dad would want him to have this candy. He looks at me for a second, wheels turning in his head. Then he turns, walks over to his dad at the other end of the table, points at me and says, "He won't share." At which point we all dissolved in laughter.

That four-year-old is getting married this year. I think I should bring that story up at the wedding.

33 minutes ago, razark said:

Ans still, I want my cup of coffee to be hot.

That sounds like my way of treating the tea - my other long-lasting way of consuming caffeine - without adding anything and keeping it hot

9 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

It's high school.  In America.  I will count it a success when they correctly identify the continent Germany resides upon. 

http://thepigeonpress.org/american-students-flunk-geography/

Need to channel your inner R. Lee Ermey and whip those maggots into shape! :lol: