SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

4 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Were commercial launches with Delta and Atlas back in the 1990s and 2000s ever shown on TV? I either did not exist or was very little back then so I wouldn't know.

Not really. Sometimes there might be some footage if it was a NASA/JPL mission. Sat TV—NASA Select had it, but we were oddballs with a dish.

31 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

I'm not sure if this is a good example. By comparison, I don't recall Delta IV Heavy streams being heavily watched. They certainly get as much traffic on this forum as any F9 launch (not a lot). Both DIVH and F9 pale in comparison to how the thread becomes "Hot!!!" when Starship launches.

The big thing is also stream quality.

1. landings are incredibly cool, still. never gets old to me.

2. Cameras. ULA has rocket cam, but switches it off most of the time, and no stage 2 cam (often DoD payload anyway). Minus the landing... it's not much to look at. Any other country launching needs real time video from the vehicle, or... BORING. One day my son was watching an Atlas V launch with me, he was 7-8, and he asked when the camera turned on. I said there was no camera. He asked when it landed. Said it didn't. He said, "This is boring" and left right after liftoff.

1 hour ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Were commercial launches with Delta and Atlas back in the 1990s and 2000s ever shown on TV? I either did not exist or was very little back then so I wouldn't know.

I'm not sure if this is a good example. By comparison, I don't recall Delta IV Heavy streams being heavily watched. They certainly get as much traffic on this forum as any F9 launch (not a lot). Both DIVH and F9 pale in comparison to how the thread becomes "Hot!!!" when Starship launches.

Well, the internet back then was not capable of streaming much. I think debut launches of a new vehicle would get a sound bite on the news, as well as any major deep-space missions. But regular rockets were definitely overshadowed by the Space Shuttle, and even that was soon reduced to sound bites when it launched and landed, if that. The first D4H launched in 2004, the second in 2007. I wasn't watching much TV in '04 (partially successful), and I don't recall much more than a sound bite in 2007. But most of my space news back then came from Space.com and its forum, and it was scorching on those launches.

I do recall, back before the Space.com forums were closed, that the resident Shuttle program engineer there (Shuttle_guy) had his mind blown when one of the first F9  launches (2010) was recycled and launched ~90 minutes later (IIRC, may have been a few hours) after a hot abort (sensor reading outside conservative parameters; adjusted parameters and launched). A hot abort on a Shuttle launch would have been at least a 24hr recycle. But I digress....

Edited by StrandedonEarth

2 hours ago, RCgothic said:

10 in January alone. 120 by year end at this rate!

ULA launched slightly more than 10 in 2016... in a YEAR.

(and that was the most recent year they beat 8)

Edited by tater

Department of Defense is looking into purchasing and operating Starships for "sensitive and potentially dangerous missions". The article is light on details and I can't find corroborating articles, but it'll be interesting to see how it works out if it's true.

https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/space/spacex-dod-has-requested-taking-over-starship-individual-missions

ORLANDO, Florida—The Pentagon has approached SpaceX about potentially taking over Starship for sensitive and potentially dangerous missions as a government-owned, government-operated asset instead of contracting the company to launch payloads.

The company has been exploring its options in responding, Gary Henry, a senior adviser with SpaceX, told the audience at the Space Mobility Conference here Jan. 30.

SpaceX is already on contract for development of the Department of the Air Force’s Rocket Cargo mission, with the goal of delivering cargo point to point through space. But this is beyond that plan, Henry says.

“We have had conversations … and it really came down to specific missions, where it’s a very specific and sometimes elevated risk or maybe a dangerous use case for the DOD where they’re asking themselves: Do we need to own it as a particular asset … SpaceX, can you accommodate that?” he says.

“We’ve been exploring all kinds of options to kind of deal with those questions,” he says.

The idea is similar to how the Air Force moves cargo. At times, the service contracts with private carriers to deliver cargo, but for certain critical missions it uses service “gray tail” aircraft. In this hypothetical case, the military could take a Starship off the line for a specific mission and return it to SpaceX after it is complete.

Col. Eric Felt, director of space architecture for the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force for Space Acquisition and Integration, says there are certain concepts of operation that could be relevant for a government-owned, government-operated space vehicle.

“If we can buy the commercial service, that’s what we’re going to do, but there might be some use cases where there needs to be a government-owned, government-operated [vehicle] and that transfer can happen on the fly,” Felt says.

7 hours ago, Jaelommiss said:

Department of Defense is looking into purchasing and operating Starships for "sensitive and potentially dangerous missions". The article is light on details and I can't find corroborating articles, but it'll be interesting to see how it works out if it's true.

https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/space/spacex-dod-has-requested-taking-over-starship-individual-missions

I'm imagining Space Force Marines™ on post in LEO in several gray tail SSs.  They could dive down to a situation quite impressively.  Maybe 3 in polar orbits with ascending nodes 120 degrees a apart.  Maybe more, like 5, AN spaced 72 degrees, depending on re-entry cross range ability of SS

(note:  use of ™ in a post generally indicates a light-hearted and humorous tone)

Edited by darthgently

Would be nice to know what the cost of these contract are. Still, how many commercial/government contracts does that make for Starship now?

HLS

Superbird-9

Starlab

Astrolab FLEX rover

Any others? They bid on launching a cluster of cubesats, but they didn't win that one.

5 hours ago, darthgently said:

I'm imagining Space Force Marines™ on post in LEO in several gray tail SSs.  They could dive down to a situation quite impressively.  Maybe 3 in polar orbits with ascending nodes 120 degrees a apart.  Maybe more, like 5, AN spaced 72 degrees, depending on re-entry cross range ability of SS

(note:  use of ™ in a post generally indicates a light-hearted and humorous tone)

Do they get the neat suits too?

Spoiler

space-marine-warhammer40k.gif

12 hours ago, Jaelommiss said:

I really hope we keep our stupid wars confined to Earth...

3 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Do they get the neat suits too?

Reveal hidden contents

space-marine-warhammer40k.gif

I was thinking more.

Spoiler

On 1/31/2024 at 9:06 AM, cubinator said:

I really hope we keep our stupid wars confined to Earth...

better to do battle in space and leave the earth alone. but humans would probity do both. 

On 1/31/2024 at 7:58 AM, darthgently said:

Space Force Marines™

On 1/31/2024 at 5:48 PM, Vanamonde said:

Stick to the subject, please

Aw, man - this was perfect for me... And with a chance to mock SpaceFarce? 

Sigh. 

Ok.  Mid to late Feb.  So March iz hop? 

(actually hope it's not a hop but a Pacific Splash) 

Please SX - hoover that SS!  At least practice! 

16 hours ago, Spaceception said:

SpaceX posting official Starship stuff is an indicator that they're getting close to flight, right?

Maybe yes, maybe not, but the rumors are adding up, as I said a couple of pages prior : tail end of February- first half of March.

Then for ift-4 all depends on what happen with ift-3, if all is norminal we are probably looking at another 4/20 launch, if it is an ift-2 Electric bongaloo we might slip to may-june. If it is a catastrophic RUD 1 year+