SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Soooo....ummm....this could be a bit of a problem for the stand.

On this version, don't the legs get at least partially dismantled and rebuilt as part of the normal refurbishment process?

3 hours ago, Mitchz95 said:
That'll buff out. Right?

Not quite sure what I'm looking at, but I think it's that the the leg on the left that has internal material poking out, and overall looks like that leg will never fly again. Correct me if I'm wrong; I'm hardly a SpaceX fanatic, though they sure seem to be leading a charge of cheaper commercial access to space.

EDIT: I'm not trying to be snarky, I just am actually unsure if that's the damage being talked about, on the left leg.

Regardless, the engines are by far the most important thing to recover, probably followed by the fuel tank and avionics; if it's only one leg that can't be re-used, well... that's still a rounding error compared to the cost of everything else.

Edited by Starman4308

1 hour ago, Starman4308 said:

EDIT: I'm not trying to be snarky, I just am actually unsure if that's the damage being talked about, on the left leg.

That leg also looks bent upwards in a way that isn't supposed to happen.

18 minutes ago, cubinator said:

That leg also looks bent upwards in a way that isn't supposed to happen.

The right leg also looks bent a bit oddly, so I don't think either of them sustained any permanent damage.

Edited by ment18

Something I wondering:

Those two private citizens, flying by the moon...what if they don't like each other? You can't make polite conversation forever. Maybe there will be a 'tour guide' of some kind

21 minutes ago, Skylon said:

Something I wondering:

Those two private citizens, flying by the moon...what if they don't like each other? You can't make polite conversation forever.

Pretty sure they planned the excursion together.

21 minutes ago, Skylon said:

Maybe there will be a 'tour guide' of some kind

"On your left: space. On your right: space. More space. Space dead ahead. Moon. We're going to the moon. Moon craters. All around. SPAAAAAACE!"

32 minutes ago, Skylon said:

Something I wondering:

Those two private citizens, flying by the moon...what if they don't like each other? You can't make polite conversation forever. Maybe there will be a 'tour guide' of some kind

One third of the trip they will spend being sick. One third (the Moon fly-by part) they will spend with their noses glued to the windows. And the last leg of the journey will be spent on freaking out before re-entry and unavoidable fiery doom :cool:

3 hours ago, tater said:

The rocket looks a bit short in that picture. Looks like the launch is too late for me, I've got school tommorow. Maybe I would watch if it were a reusable launch. Good luck, Falcon

Yep - I'm going to have to sleep this one out I'm afraid. The odds of me staying awake for another two hours are substantially poorer than the odds of weather conditions being favourable for launch.

With that said - godspeed Falcon! With luck I'll catch the whole thing on YouTube tomorrow.