SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

5 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

I miss the technical webcasts...

Why aren't they recovering this one? I thought that the previous expendable launch was the last one.

Sat's too heavy. Was supposed to go up on FH originally. I think there's a few expendables planned yet because of the delay with FH. 

Dat sunlight thru the clouds doe! :cool:

18 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Next window is tomorrow, one minute earlier. How's the weather look for tomorrow @Just Jim?

Unfortunately 50/50 from one day to the next... This time of year T-storms can pop up anywhere, and go either direction across the state. We got hit a few times yesterday, and really blasted a couple nights ago. Literally 2-3 lightning bolts a second for about 10 minutes or so. Right now there's a line stretching from Daytona to Orlando... Folk at Disney are getting wet...

I should be able to make a semi-educated guess in the morning, once I can see which way the sea breeze is going. But right now the forecast is 50% chance of rain the next few days... and that's my guess as well, 50/50.

Sorry I can't help any better than that.

Edited by Just Jim

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:

I should be able to make a semi-educated guess in the morning, once I can see which way the sea breeze is going.

Out of curiosity, how do you semi-guess the appearance of a t-storm from the wind pattern? Is there some rule of thumb that exists in Florida I haven't heard of?

10 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Out of curiosity, how do you semi-guess the appearance of a t-storm from the wind pattern? Is there some rule of thumb that exists in Florida I haven't heard of?

They probably use the lying neutrino detector from xkcd.

/offtopic What's the de-fueling procedure like on the Falcon 9? They can't leave all that sitting on the pad for a long time.

16 minutes ago, qzgy said:

You don't.... odds are good this time of year a storm or 5 are going to show up no matter what... But if a storm line pops up, and the sea breeze is headed west, towards us, then I'd say the chances are fairly good they'll still launch. If it's headed east, towards NASA, I'd say the chances are considerably less. But you can't really say one day from the next. The last few days the winds have been headed east... but that could change tomorrow. I feel sorry for the folk at NASA trying to predict it day to day... :confused:

Edited by Just Jim

2 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

You don't.... odds are good this time of year a storm or 5 are going to show up no matter what... But if a storm line pops up, and the sea breeze is headed west, towards us, then I'd say the chances are fairly good they'll still launch. If it's headed east, towards NASA, I'd say the chances are considerably less. But you can't really say one day from teh next. The last few they've been headed east... but that could change tomorrow. I feel sorry for the folk at NASA trying to predict it day to day... :confused:

Ok. Weather prediction is annoying. Looking at the NOAA reflectivity radar, there's a band of rain/storms, kinda headed in the direction of Cape Canaveral, but currently located slightly northward, more Orlando area.

I guess you might be actually able to figure this out already by being there though, but link if you'd like:P

5 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Ok. Weather prediction is annoying. Looking at the NOAA reflectivity radar, there's a band of rain/storms, kinda headed in the direction of Cape Canaveral, but currently located slightly northward, more Orlando area.

Yeah... looks like a decent sized one showing up here about halfway between Orlando and Daytona right now. It's getting late, so they should be simmering down soon, but if that radar's live, you still may be able to see how the storms drift around,

6 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I guess you might be actually able to figure this out already by being there though, but link if you'd like:P

Melbourne! Very, very pretty town! I think I have this link, thanks! I'm in Port Richey, which is almost exactly the other side of the state, if you drew a straight line.

Well... here's the morning Florida forecast...

There is a small but noisy line of storms out over the Gulf stretching from here to the nuke plant at Crystal River, but it's not really moving, just getting bigger.

The local news forecast on TV just said storms will form off the Gulf coast, drift inland, then switch and drift back towards the coast this evening. It's still early, but if this holds true, and nothing severe pops up near the launch site, then as far as the weather is concerned, we might have a decent chance for a launch tonight.

Fingers crossed...  :)

Edited by Just Jim

Good thing i did not say up awake untill 1:36 AM for the launch while i had school the next day, for no reason.

Mission failed, we will get em next time...

3 minutes ago, tater said:

Mission did not fail, it did not launch. Failure would mean a pad explosion, or launch failure that doesn't get the payload to the required orbit.

I know, but the mission failed thing was a meme thing for fun. Sorry. I know.