Opinion: What Should My Next Mod Suite Be For A New Playthrough?

Nittany Tiger

What Mods Should I Use For A Fresh 1.3 Career Run?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What Mods Should I Use For A Fresh 1.3 Career Run (Both Would Include Strategia Because Stock Strategies Are Weak)?

• Kerbalism with stock system (possibly extra planets), KSP Interstellar, Parts packs like BDB or KW Rocketry, Astronomer's Visual Pack, and more.
    • Gallileo's Planet Pack or another alternate solar system, failure mod (Dang It! or Kerbal Launch Failure), parts mods, USI or TAC life support, KSP Interstellar, and more.

I'm wanting to do an alternate 1.3 install with new mods to freshen the gameplay.  I'm trying to get through the "stock" career because I barely go interplanetary before I lose interest, but I also want to start playing with new mods.

Right now, I have a couple of mods I really want to try out.  One is Kerbalism, and the other is The Gallileo Planet Pack.  I also want to add KSP Interstellar Extended and other parts mods.

So, should I go with a Kerbalism-focused install around the stock Kerbin system, or go with a new planetary system with a few realism mods added for challenge?  With either choice, I might make a thread in Fan Works since career modes turn into their own exciting stories.

Timely feedback would be very appreciated, including recommendations for mods or other mod sets, or any facts like if Gallileo's Planet Pack can run with Kerbalism or not.

EDIT:  Discovered GPP does support Kerbalism. This might make my choice simpler.

Edited by Nittany Tiger

GPP does support Kerbalism, however, Kerbalism does not support GPP. If that makes sense? 

GPP has two stars, and Kerbalism doesn't know how to handle that just yet. And neither do solar panels, apparently lol.

You could just remove Grannus, the second star, and everything should work correctly. So, that's an option. 

I'm thinking about a stock playthrough myself. Not that I don't like GPP, I just have to see it everyday lol. The stock system feels new when I play it :) 

Also, SSRSS hasn't been updated. I have been really busy and have to set some time next week to get to it. 

Edited by Galileo

21 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Moved to Add-On Discussions, as it's about mods, not the game itself.

Why not both? If your computer would allow it, I think it would be fun to play with Kerbalism and a different system.

Thank you.  I wasn't sure what forum this belonged in.  Apologies for positing in the wrong forum.

I didn't know Kerbalism worked with GPP until I looked at the GPP thread and saw that it did, so I will likely do both.  I just haven't explored the stock system much.  I rarely do missions to other planets despite how much I've played, but I want to play in a new solar system with realism enhancements.

20 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

I like Kerbalism, BDB, KIS, KAS, other stockalike parts packs, BARIS, and SSRSS (Stock Scale Real Solar System), and don't forget KSC Switcher and Kerbal Konstructs. Also, with KOS, Mechjeb, SVE and SVT, and Dangit! Continued

I want to use BDB.  I already use KOS in my RSS install and SVE/SVT in my stock system install.  I know Astronomer's Visual Pack came back, but I really like SVE/SVT.  Maybe I can mix and match elements from both like the lightning effects from AVP.

I also want to use KW or other parts packs that add parts but aren't cheat parts.  I'm thinking KSP Interstellar Extended since that adds a lot of new things.  Also the Near Future set of mods.

19 hours ago, nascarlaser1 said:

I like the first option but you should add in 1 (or maybe 2!) failure mods. Dangit and Kerbal krash system are good choices. I also think adding EPL , simple construction or other off world ship building thing would be fun for late game exploration.

More than one failure mod would be fun.  Could also use EPL so I can make colonies.

19 hours ago, Galileo said:

GPP does support Kerbalism, however, Kerbalism does not support GPP. If that makes sense? 

GPP has two stars, and Kerbalism doesn't know how to handle that just yet. And neither do solar panels, apparently lol.

You could just remove Grannus, the second star, and everything should work correctly. So, that's an option. 

I'm thinking about a stock playthrough myself. Not that I don't like GPP, I just have to see it everyday lol. The stock system feels new when I play it :) 

Also, SSRSS hasn't been updated. I have been really busy and have to set some time next week to get to it. 

Hopefully there's a fix in place.  What happens if the star is left in?  Does Kerbalism ignore it, or does it break Kerbalism?

13 hours ago, danielboro said:

KCT

I like that idea.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!  I've decided to go with the following (underline is yet to be installed at the time of this post):

• Galileo's Planet Pack with 2.5x Scaling
  • KIS and KAS
  • Kerbalism (I'm removing Grannus for this like @Galileo suggested.  I also wonder if you can turn it into a planet and make it a Y-class brown dwarf so Kerbalism doesn't have to contend with two radiating bodies)
  • Appropriate Visual Mods (Scatterer doesn't like me removing Grannus, so I'm currently trying to fix that. Fixed!  Also, unsure if Planetshine works with 1.3 yet)
  • KSC++, Final Frontier, Research Bodies, Tarsier Space Tech, Waypoint Manager, Distant Object Enhancement,  Basically any mod that GPP has as "included"
  • Transfer Window Planner
  • USI Catalog (possibly excluding life support if it conflicts with Kerbalism)
  • JX2 Antenna
  • Near Future Tech
  • Far Future Tech
  • SCANSat
  • Cryogenic Engines
  • Either Kerbal Atomics or SpaceTux Industries Recycled Parts
  • Not sure if I want to use Ven's Stock Part Revamp or even remove stock parts if possible, unless other mods need stock parts.  I really want to use new engines and tanks.  I guess it overall depends on if the stock parts integrate well with the mods I want to use. (Used Stock Part Revamp).
  • Bluedog Design Bureau
  • KSP Interstellar Extended  I don't know if KSP Interstellar is made redundant by NFT, FFT, Kerbal Atomics, Alcubierre drive mods, and others, but I really like the physics of this mod.
  • Near Future Launch Vehicles
  • KrakenScience
  • SXT (if I keep stock parts)
  • DeepFreeze Continued
  • Airline Kuisine
  • DangIt! Continued
  • Extraplanetary Launchpads
  • KCT
  • Kerbal Engineer Redux
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock
  • Precise Node
  • Infernal Robotics

I might possibly add The Gold Standard, Asteroid Recycling Tech, Test Flight, and Kerbal Krash System.

Edited by Nittany Tiger
More mods installed.

MKS in general conflicts whit Kerbalism

you can use the CRP resurces instead of " The Gold Standard "
i got this from a YouTube sires
i mine rear metals for the Cr in the sires he mined exotic minerals
im sure thers a large candidate list for this in the CRP

KSPI is not redundant by nertas mod, and freethinker keeps KSPI compatible whit them
but do remember that the 2 moders have very different opinions on how thing suld work

Edited by danielboro

3 hours ago, danielboro said:

MKS in general conflicts whit Kerbalism

KSPI is not redundant by nertas mod, and freethinker keeps KSPI compatible whit them
but do remember that the 2 moders have very different opinions on how thing suld work

So I can't use USI mods or Karbonite with Kerbalism?

1 hour ago, Nittany Tiger said:

So I can't use USI mods or Karbonite with Kerbalism?

Kerbalism replyses the stok background process

for MKS its very bad

im guessing that Karbonite will be ok as its not as complicated as MKS

parts like the rovers and sub i think will be ok too

Edited by danielboro

10 hours ago, danielboro said:

Kerbalism replyses the stok background process

for MKS its very bad

im guessing that Karbonite will be ok as its not as complicated as MKS

parts like the rovers and sub i think will be ok too

MKS would be fun for end-game colonization, but I might not even get that far.  I already have a ton of parts already and I haven't even uploaded everything.  I might have too many parts now and end up having stuff I never use because it's redundant to another mod (such as stock command pods, BDB command pods, and Near Future Spacecraft command pods).

I actually want to edit the CTT config so it better balances stock, BDB, KSP Interstellar, and Neartea stuff if I can.  I'm going for a tech tree where similar parts aren't put in one node, and that won't make them redundant.  For example, I can treat the BDB 1-seat command pod as an upgrade to the Mk1 by putting it in a slightly higher tech node.   It's all great stuff if I can synergize it better.

I also need to see if I can synergize DangIt! and Kerbalism's native part failure feature.

EDIT: I've decided to drop USI and MKS stuff for Kerbalism.  I really like exploration more, and I have loads of parts as it is.  If I end up changing my mind, I can modify the mods later.

Edited by Nittany Tiger

Currently using Module Manager to construct a custom tech tree using CTT.  Right now, just shifting parts around so that I can't reach orbit at tech level 0.  I don't want to be able to do unmanned orbital launches until tech level 1 and manned orbital launches until tech level 2.  Also considering new nodes for cryogenic engines.

Overall, trying to go for the semi-realistic tech progression.

EDIT: Also considering creating separate tech nodes for each of the BDB rockets in @CobaltWolf's pack.  Use science and funds to unlock each rocket instead of getting a bunch of them in one node.

Edited by Nittany Tiger

On 9/10/2017 at 2:58 PM, Nittany Tiger said:

Currently using Module Manager to construct a custom tech tree using CTT.  Right now, just shifting parts around so that I can't reach orbit at tech level 0.  I don't want to be able to do unmanned orbital launches until tech level 1 and manned orbital launches until tech level 2.  Also considering new nodes for cryogenic engines.

Overall, trying to go for the semi-realistic tech progression.

EDIT: Also considering creating separate tech nodes for each of the BDB rockets in @CobaltWolf's pack.  Use science and funds to unlock each rocket instead of getting a bunch of them in one node.

With the science and funds to unlock, at least, you can turn on the option to have to pay funds to unlock each individual part in each node. It's in the stock difficulty options menu.

Just now, Krakatoa said:

With the science and funds to unlock, at least, you can turn on the option to have to pay funds to unlock each individual part in each node. It's in the stock difficulty options menu.

I know about that option.  I turned it on in my stock playthrough.

What I was thinking about was having more tech nodes after the start node for different rockets of the BDB pack.  This is instead of just shoving a bunch of the parts into one or two stock nodes.  So for instance, I'd have a node for the BDB Vangard, and then another for the BDB Redstone, and so on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/09/2017 at 1:32 PM, danielboro said:

@danielboro and whoever else may have an opinion, I have (dumb) questions regarding the quoted points.

First, can you mine resources given in the CRP and sell them for cash, therefore duplicating and/or replacing the function of The Gold Standard?

Second,  does Nertea's work provide an interstellar drive similar to that from KSPI-E? I know both works can be used together, like danielboro said, but I'd like to keep my total mod count down if I can, I have loads already.

TIA, and my apologies if I am asking the obvious

6 hours ago, MisfitMarius said:

first, can you mine resources given in the CRP and sell them for cash, therefore duplicating and/or replacing the function of The Gold Standard?

i use USI-MKS strip miner to get rear metals
this is my first prototype
https://yadi.sk/i/RTx3r8OP3NAiNe
evry full truk gives me ~10M

this is the first return of exotic minerals (uses usi MKS), later in the sires he improves on the metod

if thers no drill in kspi (i think ther is)
a simple MM suld allow stoke drill to get the CRP resources

7 hours ago, MisfitMarius said:

does Nertea's work provide an interstellar drive

not that i know off
i know of 2 warp drives (KSPI and USI)

and 2 jump gates  linuxgurugamer and ???
AFAIK nerta only have near futer drives no far futer stuff

On 9/23/2017 at 8:21 AM, MisfitMarius said:

@danielboro and whoever else may have an opinion, I have (dumb) questions regarding the quoted points.

First, can you mine resources given in the CRP and sell them for cash, therefore duplicating and/or replacing the function of The Gold Standard?

Second,  does Nertea's work provide an interstellar drive similar to that from KSPI-E? I know both works can be used together, like danielboro said, but I'd like to keep my total mod count down if I can, I have loads already.

TIA, and my apologies if I am asking the obvious

I had to drop KSP-IE when IFS updated and started causing all of my craft to vanish.  I did download a standalone Alcubierre Warp Drive mod from @RealGecko that apparently installs just the KSP-I warp drive without the rest of the stuff.  It stinks because I really like KSP-I's heat and customizeable engine mechanics (at least when I last played it when FractalUK was developing it).

In the meantime, I've been working on my own tech tree for this install.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ecyT1JK3UAzalXNQ314C1civxc3aqI2mL9B77uaH0IM/edit?usp=sharing

I was hoping to make a more realistic progression about BDB parts along with making early-game progression not be too fast.  Therefore, I got the idea of splitting each rocket in the BDB pack into its own node.  I also want to add a whole branch for cryogenic engines later on.  Other than that, it's just the Community Tech Tree.  However, trying to make a tech tree is tedious and I put this on hold for now.  I might see if Cold War Progression Tree might be a better fit for what I want in this playthrough.  Also, basing early and mid-tier progression about BDB might mean trimming parts that are either redundant or might be cheat parts.

2 hours ago, Nittany Tiger said:

@OhioBob

This thread is old?  It's still active.

If you have an idea for my install, go for it.  Actually haven't finished building it.

I was just answering a question about GPP and Kerbalism, but it's already been answered.

I will add this, however...  It's been mentioned that you can remove Grannus from GPP to make Kerbalism work, but I'm not sure that's really necessary.  I don't use Kerbalism, but I did do a few solar panel tests awhile back with Kerbalism+GPP.  The only thing I noticed to be messed up is that solar panels don't work around Grannus (because Kerbalism doesn't support multiple stars).  But if you just want to play GPP as a single star system, I don't think there's really a need to remove Grannus from the system.  Just don't expect solar panels to work at Grannus and you might be OK.  Of course I didn't do any testing beyond solar panels, so I don't know if anything else is messed up or not.  You would just have to try it out and see, but I certainly wouldn't go through the trouble of removing Grannus if it's not really necessary.

It's also been mentioned that GPP support for Kerbalism has been removed.  GPP use to include a Kerbalism config that added radiation belts, magnetopauses, and maybe some other settings (really don't remember now).  But because Kerbalism isn't currently compatible with GPP, we removed it.  Supposedly GPP support will return as part of Kerbalism in a future release (whenever that happens).  In the meantime, if you want to try to get GPP and Kerbalism working together, you can always try using the Kerbalism config from an old version of GPP.  I don't recommend installing the old GPP version, just using the old config with the latest GPP version.  I'm not sure it will work, but you can try.  You should be able to find the config in GPP 1.4.0.  I think the path and file name is, GameData/GPP/GPP_Configs/GPP_Kerbalism.cfg.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.