Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

A couple questions-

1. What is the closest Soviet/Russian equivalent of MIT (the Boston MIT) in relation to civilian spaceflight? I do recall Leningrad Polytechnic Institute having done research related to ballistic missile guidance systems, but I'm not sure if that ended up relating to space launch vehicles or not.

2. Is the film project Challenge actually a reasonable commercial space achievement on the part of Roscosmos, or simply part of how tourist seats are sold by Roscosmos (and they happen to be filming a movie), or the product of Russian capitalism (2021's Pizza Hut ad on a Proton rocket)?

25 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

1. What is the closest Soviet/Russian equivalent of MIT (the Boston MIT) in relation to civilian spaceflight? I do recall Leningrad Polytechnic Institute having done research related to ballistic missile guidance systems, but I'm not sure if that ended up relating to space launch vehicles or not.

MAI, I assume?

I used to host students from there back in the CCCP days.

6 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

the product of Russian capitalism (2021's Pizza Hut ad on a Proton rocket)?

The product of Russian state capitalism specifically - both its space arm and its movie-making arm.  It's funded by the taxpayer - both by Roscosmos from its spaceflight funding, and by the notorious Cinema Fund of the Ministry of Culture; the share of provate funding remains unknown, but the production company previously used a state grant to film Salyut 7. Rogozin makes no effort to hide the propagandistic purposes of the film, and actress selection is seen as having been rigged in favor of people high up the totem pole of the Russian movie industry - and there are a lot of salacious claims about how they got there.

Said Russian movie industry is despised precisely because of the abovedescribed funding model: taxpayer-funded, completely detached from commercial consequences, clannish, and not very good even at propaganda. I mean, what conclusions are we supposed to draw from the ending of Salyut 7, which is just an extended and entirely serious version of

7 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

1. What is the closest Soviet/Russian equivalent of MIT (the Boston MIT) in relation to civilian spaceflight?

A "civilian spaceflight"? Wut's that?
The spaceflights are governmental, the tasks are custom, civilian and not.

Several tourists at both sides of the Pacific Gulf don't play any role until a commercial company has its own private space station.

7 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Is the film project Challenge actually a reasonable commercial space achievement on the part of Roscosmos, or simply part of how tourist seats are sold by Roscosmos (and they happen to be filming a movie), or the product of Russian capitalism (2021's Pizza Hut ad on a Proton rocket)?

To stop Tom Cruise from becoming the first living being in the Universe filming a space film in space. Isn't this enough important?

Edited by kerbiloid

18 hours ago, DDE said:

Makes sense, but I somehow assumed this was done using Kurs or TORU.

I assume they did, main reason for them to be onboard is that if they can not dock again they have no ride home, they would have to launch an empty Soyuz to get them home. 
Also no way off if you needed to evacuate IIS. Yes technically its space in the dragon for 3 more but you would have no seat so the splashdown will be dangerous. 
And if onboard they can take over if its problems. 
Back then they used the shuttle and Soyuz the Russians would leave in another Soyuz than they left in, leaving the newest in orbit, this way you had two there in case of emergency. 

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Doesn't look like the document has been blunted much. They've added caveats that sharing nearly any information about Roscosmos "except for programs of scientific and socio-economic importance" would merit a 'foreign agent' designation. Makes any civilian study of the military hazardous as well, oof.

Gotta watch what I post now.

Edited by DDE

33 minutes ago, DDE said:

Doesn't look like the document has been blunted much. They've added caveats that sharing nearly any information about Roscosmos "except for programs of scientific and socio-economic importance" would merit a 'foreign agent' designation. Makes any civilian study of the military hazardous as well, oof.

Gotta watch what I post now.

Seems like it's easier to catch a "foreign agent" designation in Russia these days than to catch a cold. It sounds bleak at first, I guess one could decide to look at it in the The Incredibles way: "When everybody is a foreign agent ... nobody is".

45 minutes ago, Codraroll said:

Seems like it's easier to catch a "foreign agent" designation in Russia these days than to catch a cold. It sounds bleak at first, I guess one could decide to look at it in the The Incredibles way: "When everybody is a foreign agent ... nobody is".

Yes, a country of space bloggers... one can dream.