Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

On 9/29/2021 at 7:08 PM, DDE said:

Approval of all programs and budgets two months behind schedule

Russia's main domestic spy agency has listed dozens of types of information for which Russians who disclose them abroad can be branded as "foreign agents", a move critics say creates risks for journalists who cover the army or space.

The Federal Security Service published a list of 60 non-classified topics on a government website late on Thursday, many of them related to the military, that it said could be used by foreign governments against Russia's security.

The list includes topics like military procurement, troop morale, the whereabouts of soldiers, troop numbers, their personal data and problems hindering the development of Russia's space agency, Roscosmos.

Both Russians and non-Russians can be labelled as foreign agents under the legislation.

10 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Russia's main domestic spy agency has listed dozens of types of information for which Russians who disclose them abroad can be branded as "foreign agents", a move critics say creates risks for journalists who cover the army or space.

The Federal Security Service published a list of 60 non-classified topics on a government website late on Thursday, many of them related to the military, that it said could be used by foreign governments against Russia's security.

The list includes topics like military procurement, troop morale, the whereabouts of soldiers, troop numbers, their personal data and problems hindering the development of Russia's space agency, Roscosmos.

Both Russians and non-Russians can be labelled as foreign agents under the legislation.

Ouch.

It's interesting how this foul document uses two different types of caveats: the part catering to the Ministry of Defense occasionally makes exceptions for information from open sources. The Roscosmos half, meanwhile, makes exceptions for "programs with a scientific or socioeconomic focus". So you can't even share a TASS article on military soace matters, it seems.

The last reprieve is that it's a subordinate document to Article 2.1 of 272-FZ. So to earn the designation one also needs to get "supporting influence" from foreign states, similar to "political" foreign agents.

Please do not like my posts from now on, I guess.

38 minutes ago, DDE said:

It's interesting how this foul document uses two different types of caveats: the part catering to the Ministry of Defense occasionally makes exceptions for information from open sources. The Roscosmos half, meanwhile, makes exceptions for "programs with a scientific or socioeconomic focus". So you can't even share a TASS article on military soace matters, it seems.

The last reprieve is that it's a subordinate document to Article 2.1 of 272-FZ. So to earn the designation one also needs to get "supporting influence" from foreign states, similar to "political" foreign agents.

As a member of a foreign state, I want to express my total lack of influential support for your past, present and future posts

55 minutes ago, DDE said:

16 minutes ago, Beccab said:

As a member of a foreign state, I want to express my total lack of influential support for your past, present and future posts

As a Citizen of the United States, I express my complete lack of influential support for @DDE's past, present and future posts on this Forum and other platforms.

1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

I heard about this on the BBC World News Hour recently, it's a horrible thing to do!

1 hour ago, Beccab said:

Foreign agent gang

Let's maybe not go around saying that.

@Vanamonde or @Gargamel, is there anything we should know/do about this situation?

Edited by AtomicTech

Sadly the onus is on people subject to the law to protect themselves. 

I would respectfully suggest that those affected know far more about their environment than those of us who don't live in those places - and perhaps we should just do nothing and let them participate as they will. 

We certainly don't want the good people of Germany coming to the US and trying to protect us from our highway speed limits. 

... Or do we? 

12 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

We are running into the problem that while national policies may be relevant, history has shown that they cannot be discussed politely. Please stay away from that side of things. Yes, even though it's relevant. 

The way I understood @AtomicTech's question was more along the lines of "what do we do if relevant news are impacted by the policies?", not the other way 'round.

Say for instance that the test flight of the Orel spacecraft is postponed. Would it get anybody in trouble if we had a discussion about why?

15 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

The filming of the space movie will be lasting for 12 days.

The plot is: a cosmonaut can't return to the Earth for the heart reasons, they send a surgeon to the space for the heart surgery.

Let's hope that the 'special effects fluids' are added in post. 

8 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Let's hope that the 'special effects fluids' are added in post. 

On 9/29/2021 at 5:04 PM, DDE said:

I bet they're aiming for "12+"