Air Superiority Fighter Competition Continued

exbyde

58 minutes ago, exbyde said:

Will throw in an honorable mention if anyone manages to model a competitive (i.e. can rank on the manned or unlimited roster) fighter from any of the star wars movies.

Was working on one...

Yeah, you don't want to know how many kerbals died in that one.

1 hour ago, exbyde said:

Purists

I'm not actually a purist though lol :D I have no problem whatsoever with mods, or airplane plus in particular

Just clarifying so that people don't make assumptions later on :)

Although, I have to say, those earrape engines.....

Edited by Earthlinger

I do have a question seeing as how I'm in the company of dogfighters, in testing my builds, they have a habit of flying in a straight line at top speed, and whoever is behind won't/can't engage.  Is there an aggression setting or something that can help prevent this?

30 minutes ago, GillyMonster said:

I do have a question seeing as how I'm in the company of dogfighters, in testing my builds, they have a habit of flying in a straight line at top speed, and whoever is behind won't/can't engage.  Is there an aggression setting or something that can help prevent this?

No, not really. If you look back on the old dogfights before radar cross section (RCS) was a factor, you would get aircraft that scattered due to missiles, would re-lock on targets, and the real guns-on dogfights would begin. Instead, everyone reduces their RCS so no one can get a missile lock, aircraft never scatter unless heatseekers are involved, and if they are, you wind up with friendly fire incidents. Routing, where enemy aircraft would wind up scattering and turning away to avoid missiles, giving the opposing aircraft time to lock on, nearly never happens anymore and you just wind up with these head on dogfights.

2 hours ago, l0kki said:

@exbyde would nukes happen to be allowed?

x̶d̶

No, my original intention was just to use nukes to nuke all of the sunfish while on the ground for theatrics/comedy. You can't use nuclear weapons, primarily because there is no scenario where the use of a nuclear weapon would result in anything but a draw/Pyrrhic victory.

1 hour ago, l0kki said:

https://kerbalx.com/l0kki/Vittukakku

also another attempt at failing

rename your aircraft please XD. I think cursing in other languages is still cursing.

Edited by exbyde

28 minutes ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

uhhh how about we make a list for all of the submitted aircrafts? with download link

All of them? you're welcome to go through the old page and this one if you like. I'm about to update the queue.

Ok queue is up to date, and will probably start being flown monday or perhaps tomorrow. @Steve Kerman I did not forget your entry, the last queue update was the x-99, the aircraft posted just before yours. @dundun92 unless you think there is a significant performance discrepancy between the DU-3 and DU-3d, i'm going to just test the DU-3. Entry to the unlimited category is guaranteed if your aircraft meets the rules, the manned category is only special in that your aircraft isn't optionally manned (i.e. flown by a probe core and has no seating/ a lawnchair only cockpit like suicidalinsanity's designs.)

1 hour ago, exbyde said:

No, not really. If you look back on the old dogfights before radar cross section (RCS) was a factor, you would get aircraft that scattered due to missiles, would re-lock on targets, and the real guns-on dogfights would begin. Instead, everyone reduces their RCS so no one can get a missile lock, aircraft never scatter unless heatseekers are involved, and if they are, you wind up with friendly fire incidents. Routing, where enemy aircraft would wind up scattering and turning away to avoid missiles, giving the opposing aircraft time to lock on, nearly never happens anymore and you just wind up with these head on dogfights.

Thanks for the reply.  Are heat seekers something I should leave out for the sake of these competitions?  It's just irritating when aircraft chase each other in a straight line and don't do anything. 

On 12/29/2017 at 9:12 AM, exbyde said:

RESERVED POST:

this is just for any notes/ recent changes. The current list of aircraft waiting for testing are:

1. @dundun92 Du-1b
  2. @silversliver's F-99
  3. @Steve Kerman's Trigger 2
  4. @DiscoveryPlanet F-16 Fighting Falcon (scale, ALL THE MODS)
  5. @DiscoveryPlanet F-35 CTOL 
  6. @DiscoveryPlanet F-22 Raptor
  7. @dundun93's A23
  8. @dundun92 DU-3
  9. @dundun93 A25
  10. @GillyMonster Hellblade
  11. @goduranus Crusader
  12. @Eidahlil's Cookie
  13. @l0kki's cake

thank you for the updates @Eidahlil and @SuicidalInsanity!! Much appreciated!

If you do NOT see your name on this list and have submitted a design, please mention it to me. 

Special events:

1/12: 8v8 battle, Novi vs Kelp (need a better computer before fighting 1440 parts)

I kind of find it funny craft called the Crusader and Hell Blade are in the same testing queue right next to each other.

Edited by GillyMonster

1 hour ago, GillyMonster said:

Thanks for the reply.  Are heat seekers something I should leave out for the sake of these competitions?  It's just irritating when aircraft chase each other in a straight line and don't do anything. 

Heat seekers are very valuable (See the Pike). if you equip any missiles i would equip at least one heat seeker, as they aren't deterred by cross section like the AMRAAMs.

13 minutes ago, GillyMonster said:

I kind of find it funny craft called the Crusader and Hell Blade are in the same testing queue right next to each other.

well good thing they'll probably wind up in a face/off.

2 hours ago, exbyde said:

Ok queue is up to date, and will probably start being flown monday or perhaps tomorrow. @Steve Kerman I did not forget your entry, the last queue update was the x-99, the aircraft posted just before yours. @dundun92 unless you think there is a significant performance discrepancy between the DU-3 and DU-3d, i'm going to just test the DU-3. Entry to the unlimited category is guaranteed if your aircraft meets the rules, the manned category is only special in that your aircraft isn't optionally manned (i.e. flown by a probe core and has no seating/ a lawnchair only cockpit like suicidalinsanity's designs.)

I created the D because I thought manned aircraft don't go up the unlimited... yeah, keep the original. 

6 hours ago, dundun92 said:

I created the D because I thought manned aircraft don't go up the unlimited... yeah, keep the original. 

Manned is just a way to keep manned fighters viable, since everyone is going drones/micro drones now. If your aircraft has a cockpit its automatically elligible

9 minutes ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Let me guess, you have a new plane?

He's probably not happy that i told him to rename his aircraft because it translates to bleeping cake from Finnish.

56 minutes ago, exbyde said:

Manned is just a way to keep manned fighters viable, since everyone is going drones/micro drones now. If your aircraft has a cockpit its automatically elligible

He's probably not happy that i told him to rename his aircraft because it translates to bleeping cake from Finnish.

Edited by GillyMonster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.