[1.8.1-1.12.x] Modular Launch Pads v2.6.1: Launch clamps evolved: Real-style launch bases and towers [03 July 2023]

AlphaMensae

12 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Tested these out this morning and everything looks/works great. Thanks for this unexpected addition! 

Thanks, it was a revisit of my old idea of a multi-size tower in one part, as well as to bring in some non-square tower shapes . The one part turned into three, but I did get my extra shapes.

On 6/10/2023 at 8:22 PM, AlphaMensae said:

There is already and Energia Launch Plate in MLP, as it did not use a mobile launcher.

Yeah, I know. I just thought it would be easier to reuse the Shuttle launchpad (and for you to make a variant with Energia exhaust holes) than to make a completely new set of launch towers and clamps.

The new Large (General) Launch Base is done and now on the master branch of the GitHub.

9P205W8.png

R6yfD9L.png

PZDeYyQ.png

As you can see, it's bigger than the old one (28m square), and I stopped trying to put the support columns anywhere near the top of the pad static. Instead, there are collider-less columns that simply get pusahed into the sides of the static.

There's only 6m and 8m wide exhaust holes, but they come in a variety of shapes.

I've also retitled (in-game text) the 3 old General Bases from Multi Launch Base to, well, Old Launch Bases.

On 6/14/2023 at 7:35 PM, kspbutitscursed said:

hey @AlphaMensae i was wondering if there was a chance for you to add or someoneelse to add a like water spray coing out of the nozels for some kind of water deluge 

thank you for all you do this mod is my favourite thing to use in ksp 

Kspbutitscursed.

I'm not doing that, it'd have to be someone else.

I've seen the Vapor Vent or Plume Party vent parts used for the rainbirds, but to me that looks like steam or fog, not a water deluge.

9 hours ago, Richmountain112 said:

Cool. Any plans for the N1 launch gantry?

I could modify the Saturn tower core into a fixed N1 tower,  but the rotation would be left to the user to accomplish, as I am not doing it. Tip: you would need to use the Katniss Baikonur N1 pad for it.

6 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

I could modify the Saturn tower core into a fixed N1 tower,  but the rotation would be left to the user to accomplish, as I am not doing it. Tip: you would need to use the Katniss Baikonur N1 pad for it.

You could use Breaking Ground for the hinge to swing it away. Just an idea I had.

Also I believe that the Shuttle launch pad will suffice for Energia.

Edited by Richmountain112

1 hour ago, AlphaMensae said:

Ok, the last of the new General Launch Bases, the Extra Large one, is done. And this is a monster....52m x 52m square, with 10m, 14m and 18m wide exhaust holes. The largest size is 18m x 46m.

dKF8W87.png

SGmIZrQ.png

DvYPYMt.png

handy in RO i guess

LOL

Next thing is a little something for the RO/RP-1 crowd and sounding rocket fans: the Aerobee launch tower, which will be a launch clamp stand with the integrated tower, switchable between the triangular and square styles. Aerobees were launched from several places, and each site had their own version of the tower.  The tower will be hollow, as the Aerobee was placed inside it for launch, with a purely cosmetic launch rail (no collider) that will be able to be moved to different positions, or even outside the tower completely.

Won't be too hard to make, as I already have the Vanguard and Mini Modular 1 towers to use as the base for the Aerobee towers, even have the red-white option enabled :D 

It's in game now, basically done except for those shelters on the bottom that I've seen in some photos. I may add them as options.

One side of the tower has no collider so you can still click on the rocket inside. A more complete demo will follow soon.

It's now on the master branch of the MLP GitHub.

14 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

It's in game now, basically done except for those shelters on the bottom that I've seen in some photos. I may add them as options.

One side of the tower has no collider so you can still click on the rocket inside. A more complete demo will follow soon.

It's now on the master branch of the MLP GitHub.

Brilliant... this will be great for Aerobee style mods (Taerobee, CNAR, Wacapella, Sounding Rockets, RaiderNick's), love it!

Final addition to the Aerobee Launch Stand: the optional cover/shelter structure that was used in some Aerobee launch sites (like Wallops and Churchill); it covered the lower part of the tower and I guess it was to protect the rocket from the weather. I made a composite version of the common types I saw in photos. It has 4 height options.

Minimum height:

DgZtHgg.png

Maximum height:

FjTVabM.png

I, um, made a certain thing.....

pkF70MI.png

Basic modular stackable N1 tower section; does not rotate. The walkways in the platforms can be retracted though (I'm sure that didn't happen IRL)  and their lengths can be adjusted by a deploy limit slider.

And I know it is not a great N1 recreation, but I have no idea how to make one beyond stacking the three lower stages in Tantares :D 

Edited by AlphaMensae

7 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

I, um, made a certain thing.....

pkF70MI.png

Basic modular stackable N1 tower section; does not rotate. The walkways in the platforms can be retracted though (I'm sure that didn't happen IRL)  and their lengths can be adjusted by a deploy limit slider.

And I know it is not a great N1 recreation, but I have no idea how to make one beyond stacking the three lower stages in Tantares :D 

Can't wait to have the tower in game ,just is there any possibilities to have a node for the shuttle RSS tower base to make the structure that maintains the tower , it add more details , thank you for what you are doing.

Edited by BlackDinoShadows
Typo

And it's done:

Added optional top railings to the platform structure, based on the main reference image I used, the opening one from nixonshead's AH A Sound of Thunder

I'll put this craft file on the GitHub master as well, it only needs Tantares LV (I think). The N1 itself is very incomplete and not exact, there's no payload at all :D