Astra Space Inc. (formerly Ventions) Launch

tater

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

I got the impression stage separation and SES happened before fairing deploy. 

Agreed, it moved quite a lot before fairing deploy and then sprinted out leaving a lot of debris behind (presumably the fairing or even the payload itself)

Edit: maybe the fairing deploy itself failed, and the second stage just created its way out after engine ignition

Edited by Beccab

1 minute ago, Beccab said:

Edit: maybe the fairing deploy itself failed, and the second stage just created its way out after engine ignition

I've gone back and watched it a couple times, and yeah, it does seem like the timing may have all been fine and the fairing just got stuck... so ignition forced it apart.

Looked to me like The S2 staging happened while S1 was still under thrust—maybe residual thrust after MECO commanded (they need more time delay before staging). Interstage then impacted S2 engine bell, perhaps bending it slightly, and hence tumble from slightly off axis thrust.

That's my take, anyway.

^^^ link at timestamp just before incident.

Considering this is literally their first payload it's nothing short of a disaster for the company, I doubt anyone's gonna want to fly on Astra after this for quite a bit.

How much of a disaster remains to be seen :P

I knew it wasn't a great idea to start doing payloads right after a single success.

It's always small things that get your rocket. Someone forgets a decimal point somewhere. Someone installs altimeter upside down. Your carbon fiber tank develops a tiny crack. And so on, and so on.

Hopefully we'll learn what happened to this rocket soon, and the company will have a chance to learn from this failure.