Shower thoughts

p1t1o

Nah, he's well known to us only because he has the camera man, the sound guy, the lighting van etc follow him around wherever he goes. His targets don't realize he's a spy. They think he's just some contestant from Big Brother or Love Island, Kardashian second cousin twice removed or a frontman of a K-Pop band, and the media is constantly pestering him. Of course, they all are preoccupied with world domination so they don't have time to watch TV, therefore they miss all the James Bond reality TV. It's perfectly reasonable.

Again, I didn't think of this in the shower but it would classify as a shower thought: If the observable universe is 93 billion light years and the universe is 13.8 billion years old, then with a light year being a measurement of space that light would take 1 year to travel, how is the observable universe larger than 13.8 billion light years?

1 hour ago, probe137 said:

Again, I didn't think of this in the shower but it would classify as a shower thought: If the observable universe is 93 billion light years and the universe is 13.8 billion years old, then with a light year being a measurement of space that light would take 1 year to travel, how is the observable universe larger than 13.8 billion light years?

Space is being created faster than light can traverse it. The edge of the observable universe is the distance at which everything looks like it's moving away from us faster than light. That boundary is 41 billion lightyears away, but the age of the image we see there is 13.7 billion years old.

I always had a strong feeling that the theory of the universe with additional space appearing for free from nowhere is the same as all similar ones which included a matter appearing from nowhere, a perpetual motion engine, the expanding Earth, the crystal sky with eternal stars, and many others.

I.e. another funny fictional world, enough good to give estimations of appropriate  accuracy nowadays, and to make a good academician career (like you would better believe in phlogiston in XVIII),
but to be rejected decades later and become another one "ancient false science", once they get new experimental results to judge about the interstellar distances from interstellar distances, i.e. to use for astronomy a light-years-sized telescope instead of a thousands-kilometers-sized microscope.

Then on another forum they will be laughing at the old strange theories violating some "space-time conservation law" known to every their pupil.

Upd.
The Universe is a greedy (one). She never gives anything for free.

That's why it's not wrong to use talisman words like "the best explanation known to date is that ..." and "according to the currently prevailing theories, ..."

Edited by kerbiloid

Unlike humans, the Kerbals don't have thick lips.

Spoiler

latest?cb=20190330110504

So, it should be hard for them to pronounce "p", "b", etc.

But they love "b". Jeb, Bill, Bob, Kerbin, Kerbals.

Doesn't it mean that actually they are: Jev, Vill, Vov, Kervin, Kervals?

And look:

Spoiler

hfMvQjaSvjhECdSTjOWxiXhhFQsSt8fZ.png

Val's lips look like she has problems even with "v".

Maybe, that's why her name differs. It doesn't. Actually she's Bal *), but introduced her self as "Val".

Upd.
*) Maybe even Belle.

Edited by kerbiloid

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whatever will fly to the stars, rule the world, and process future human hiveminds...
Whatever operating system will be used in nanites when they transform the lithospheres of the Earth, Mars, Venus, and exoplanets in Magellan Clouds into the future human hivemind fractal nano-structured habitats....
Whatever human-derived thing will occupy the visible part of Universe...

...it will anyway use

Spoiler

The actual shining top, the Summa Technologiae, the Philosopher's Stone, the Horadric Cube, and what the humanity was purposed to create since it was jumping  in branches for banana.

Just because nobody will rewrite septillions of databases when 5G devices get sproden around all over the world, and  the first generation of nanites has seen the sunlight.
And these ones will undoubtly, inevitably be powered with this 300k thing.

Upd.
And now I'm thinking. Doesn't the Universe already use it for settings?

Edited by kerbiloid

• 2 weeks later...

Arrays,
such as  (std::vector, QVector, QList, ArrayList, TList, and others)
are usually 0-based and have their elements enumerated from zero.

Then why the method refering to very first element of these collections is named ".first".

I.e. A[0] is also A.first().
But "first" is 1th, not 0th.

How then call the 1th element, especially since it's usually the 2nd one.

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Then why the method refering to very first element of these collections is named ".first".

As a former compiler-writer, this doesn't sound strange to me at all.  (i.e. "not a shower thought")

In the beginning, some of the earliest high-level "symbolic" languages, like FORTRAN and COBOL, indexed such collections with the typical ordinal numbers, 1, 2, 3, etc.  Just like math; just like English.

Address arithmetic (machine language) prefers pointer (address of the collection) + offset (index to the element) for simplicity and performance.  Thus, I would object, "machine language /= natural language".  So, some (specialty) languages began to reflect the machine world, not the math world.  Fine with me, too.

Meanwhile, naming in computer languages does attempt to convey the intended purpose/operation to the human programmer (and is irrelevant to the machine), so the choice of 'first' originates easily from natural language.

Edited by Hotel26

On 12/1/2020 at 5:02 AM, kerbiloid said:

If "all right" == "OK" or "very well", then what does it mean: "All rights reserved"?

And what about the lefts? Are they also reserved? Or are they flamboyant?

English is a crazy language.

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

I.e. A[0] is also A.first().

Kind of like how we're in the 21st century because the 1st century's hundreds digit was 0.

Except the last year of it which was year 100. Because there was no year 0, so the first 100 years were years 1 to 100.

So the 21st century is 2000-2100, it's actually 2001-2101... Oy.

...now I see why arrays start at 0.

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

And what about the lefts? Are they also reserved?

The lefts are copied. Like the rights. They say so, copyleft, copyright.

Probably, it's for/from big vessel teams . So, the starboard and the port ones can conversate: "You copy, Left?" "I copy, Right."