Universal Storage II [1.3.1 and 1.4.5 - 1.7.0]

Paul Kingtiger

7 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

Stock Science Jr 200kg. US2 Advanced Material Bay 400kg.

Stock Goo 50kg. US2 Advanced Goo Unit 100kg.

Both of these components contain two experiment modules, so they're like two Goo Samplers in one, though you are correct that a toggle to remove one unit to bring the mass back down would be a nice feature. For Kerbalism these components don't even seem to get the benefit of extra experiment capacity.

9 hours ago, Vandest said:

You right, totally agree with a rebalancing on mass of this great mod.

Like I said, it's a great mod but it need some of tweak to be in real final version.

Personally, I waiting for @linuxgurugamer merge the PR of @leonardfactory to propose a french translation (that is finish).

Also, I've made some fix to categories and resized parts (1.875).

So I think the easiest way to fix the balance with the least amount of work would be this:

1) Severely cut the weight of dry cores and fairings. The weight should be in the modules. As long as you have weighted cores and fairings, doing something like slapping a wedge goo on is just going to punish the player, when they could just use a regular radial goo without the slots, and save themselves a ton of wasted weight.

2) Increase the fuel quantity of the fuel wedges to 11.25L. Now, a 4-core single-stack US2 fuel tank will hold exactly the same amount of fuel as the FL-12-100 tank. With just the radial wedges, your dry mass should be 56kg, vs. 63kg for the dry FL-12-100. If you really crank the weight of the cores and fairings down (6kg / height for each?), you could make up that weight difference (if US2 is very slightly less efficient, that's okay, US2 is more flexible and maybe there should be a tiny tradeoff) and the assembled tank would be  56kg + 6kg core + 6kg fairing = 68kg, making the FL-12-100 more efficient, but only just.

3) For 'tank' cores (and fairings like the Vostok), expand the amount of resources that they carry to "fill the gaps" to make an assembled core competitive with a full-sized tank. This will unfortunately require 'cheating' on the density.

• ie: if you wanted to recreate an FL-25-800 (the squat 2.5m tank) you would use a double-stack 2.5m 8-bay core and tank assembly. However, the US2 model only carries up to 260/312 LFO with as much fuel as you can put in, vs. 360/440 LFO. We need to find an extra 100 LF. If we increase the fuel of the fuel wedges as mentioned above, you're now carrying 180 LF. The current 8-core fuel tank holds 50 LF/height, so with a double-height (again, we're trying to match the dimensions of the equivalent 2.5m tank), just shove an extra 80 LF in there. It is density cheating (the actual tank part matches the dimensions of the FL-12-200, which holds 90 LF, so we're basically doubling the tank density here, sorry).
  • Fix the dry mass. I can only assume that the dry mass of the 'core/fairing' tanks are broken because of a bug, as the weights are PSYCHO. The current 8-core double-height fuel tank has a dry mass of 0.826T, but if you replace the tank with a crew tunnel, the whole core assembly is only 0.200T. Since this core currently matches the FL-12-200, the dry mass should be around 0.125T! We're being punished 0.700T just for using US2!

4) The surface-attachable radial tank's LFO has the same broken dry mass. Way too heavy for way too little fuel. It's fine to have a little penalty for radial attachment, but this is too much. Currently the dry mass is a whopping 0.05T for the LFO radial tank. Compare to the Oscar-A from Restock, which carries the same amount of LFO, with a dry mass of 0.004T. Again, I almost think these dry masses are bugged.

5) Adjust Kerbalism configs. Radial tanks are too low-density for the oxygen/hydrogen resources compared to the size of the model. Also, Kerbalism removes the value of the "double" science in the Goo and Material bays, so you're wasting weight. Halve the weights and return them to just regular Goo/Material experiments, or apply a patch to make them more powerful with more internal slots or something.

Funny enough, the monoprop wedges are already perfectly balanced, with a 4x wedge having the same capacity, weight, and almost the cost as the 1.25m squat RCS tank. Except for the excessive weight of the fairing and core, of course.

I think doing this would be the easiest way to fix the mod's balance with the least amount of edits. I have no idea how to write MM patches, but at the very least I have the capability to build a spreadsheet of info with what should be adjusted.

UPDATE: Funny enough I found a minor bug with the LFO ratios, the player is being slightly cheated. A single LFO wedge is 10L/12O. However, the correct ratio should be 10L/12.22O. For a single wedge, that's probably not going to be noticed, but if you were do a 4x quad-stack of LFO, you would have 160L/192O. But in order to burn at 100%, the quantities should be 160L/195O.

Edited by Frostiken

Here is the beginning of a US2 rebalance patch. It definitely is not working properly but it's probably just MM syntax because I don't really know what I'm doing. I don't think the Module overwrites are happening properly.

What this does:

- Halves the weight of the goo and material bays if you use Kerbalism, because the double experiment feature is worthless there.

- Adds Nitrogen to the radial tank (no custom skin, sorry) for Kerbalism. Also, I took a stab at rebalancing the weight of the radial tank. For the gasses, it should be balanced to fit in right between the small Kerbalism radial tank and the medium Kerbalism radial tank.

- I created an Excel sheet to help me pick a balance. It's attached below, though it's not pretty. Right now I'm focusing on LFO tanks. What I did was load in all the values of the stock tanks, program in the fuel math, and then made it so I can play with the values. One of the tabs is for a 'calculator', an ugly page where you can pick the parts you want to build a US2 fuel core out of, and then compare it to a stock tank, and then see what the difference is. With the patch changes below, I can confirm that US2 quad-core tanks are NOW BALANCED. The capacity of the wedge tanks was increased as was the mass, while the mass and cost of the core and fairings was dropped SIGNIFICANTLY. There is a minor (3%ish) weight penalty for using US2, and a pricetag penalty that does get less steep if you build a bigger tank, but at the end of the day, the FL-125 series of tanks compared to a US2-built stack around a quad-core, are close enough that you won't feel like you're being robbed. I also fixed the LF/O ratio bug.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OmzjBWhpDwJ0kKtXEXS3smAwyP9Qt9I1/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=100917613268634610249&rtpof=true&sd=true

Can anyone lend a hand? My fairings are still going off of the default weight, instead of my 0.008 mass changes that are in the patch below.

Spoiler

@PART[USQuadcore]:AFTER[USQuadcore]
	{
		@mass = 0.008
		@cost = 50

@MODULE[USMassSwitch]
			{
				@Mass = 0.000;0.008;0.016;0.024
			}
			@MODULE[USCostSwitch]
			{
				@AddedCost = 0;25;50;75
			}
	}

@PART[USCylindricalShroud125]:AFTER[USCylindricalShroud125]
	{
		@mass = 0.008
		@cost = 50

@MODULE[USMassSwitch]
			{
				@Mass = 0.000;0.008;0.016;0.024;0.045
			}
			@MODULE[USCostSwitch]
			{
				@AddedCost = 0;25;50;75;225
			}
	}

@PART[USAerozineWedge]:AFTER[USAerozineWedge]
	{
		@cost = 20
		@mass = 0.016

@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
		{
			//resourceNames = 			LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;	LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;	LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;	LiquidFuel,Oxidizer
			@resourceAmounts = 			11.25,13.75;			22.5,27.5;				33.75,41.25;			45,55
			@initialResourceAmounts = 	11.25,13.75;			22.5,27.5;				33.75,41.25;			45,55
			@tankCost = 				0;						35;						70;						105
			@tankMass = 				0;						0.016;					0.032;					0.064
		}
	}

// @PART[USHydrazineWedge]
	// {
		// @cost = 69
		// @mass = 0.015

// @MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
		// {
			// // resourceNames = 			MonoPropellant;			MonoPropellant;			MonoPropellant;			MonoPropellant
			// @resourceAmounts = 			15;						30;						45;						60
			// @initialResourceAmounts = 	15;						30;						45;						60
			// @tankCost = 				0;						138;					207;					276
			// @tankMass = 				0;						0.03;					0.045;					0.060
		// }
	// }

// Kerbalism
@PART[USMatBayWedge]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
	{
		@mass = 0.200	
	}
@PART[USGooBayWedge]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]:AFTER[USGooBayWedge]
	{
		@mass = 0.050	
	}
@PART[USRadialTanks]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]:AFTER[USRadialTanks]
	{
		@mass = 0.001
		@cost = 10

@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
		{
			@resourceNames = 			Oxygen;	Hydrogen;	Nitrogen;	MonoPropellant;	LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;	Food;	Water
			@resourceAmounts = 			4000;	14000;		3600;		4.5;			4,4.8;					12;		12
			@initialResourceAmounts = 	4000;	14000;		3600;		4.5;			4,4.8;					12;		12
			@tankCost = 				340;	340;		340;		240;			240;					40;		40
			@tankMass = 				0.003;	0.003;		0.003;		0.005;			0.006;					0.002;	0.002
		}
		@MODULE[USSwitchControl]
		{
			@ObjectNames = Oxygen;Hydrogen;Nitrogen;Monoprop;Liquid Fuel;Food;Water
			@VariantColors = #2ed518,#999999;#2ed518,#999999;#2ed518,#999999;#eb7c10,#999999;#eb7c10,#999999;#2ed518,#999999;#2ed518,#999999
		}
		@MODULE[USMeshSwitch]
		{
			@MeshTransforms = RadialSmallOxygen;RadialSmallHydrogen;RadialSmallOxygen;RadialSmallMonoprop;RadialSmallLiquidFuel;RadialSmallLiquidFood;RadialSmallWater
		}
	}

Edited by Frostiken

@linuxgurugamer - I found an easily repeatable bug which... may have been around in US2 since forever

I believe it's related to the USMassSwitch and USCostSwitch module.

You can duplicate this in five seconds.

1) Drop a quad-core or a fairing that uses USMassSwitch and USCostSwitch . Change it to something besides 'single'. Note the mass and cost of the craft.

2) Click a part like the wedge fuel tank from the parts menu, or clone an existing tank, and watch the mass and cost. The core or fairing should immediately drop to the level of a 'single' height. Changing the height no longer changes the mass. This appears to be permanent - the bug persists even through launching and recovering.

3) This doesn't seem to happen if you have the tanks plopped into the editor before you place the core or fairing, unless you clone the parts.

NOTE:

- This only happens with wedge modules that can be stretched. Static wedges like the combo food pack do not reset the stats.

- This only happens on fairings and cores that use USMassSwitch and USCostSwitch, that is, only those that don't have upgradable fuel tanks. So only the quad-core stack, but not any of the others, as they use a different module.

This is unrelated to my patch, as I've removed it for testing. The ONLY mod I have installed in US2 (and ModuleManager, of course).

Edited by Frostiken

6 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

The masses (and costs) of those 2 parts are doubled:

Stock Science Jr 200kg. US2 Advanced Material Bay 400kg.

Stock Goo 50kg. US2 Advanced Goo Unit 100kg.

If you have a scientist on your vessel to reset experiments, or just need one copy on a probe, the US2 parts are a cost and mass penalty.

Effectively, besides, you can read in  US Advanced Material Bay description : "... the advanced bay contains equipment to conduct and store two experiments, making use of common components to reduce cost and mass.". And it make sens, so weight could be 350kg or something like that.

8 hours ago, Frostiken said:

So I think the easiest way to fix the balance with the least amount of work would be this:

1) Severely cut the weight of dry cores and fairings. The weight should be in the modules. As long as you have weighted cores and fairings, doing something like slapping a wedge goo on is just going to punish the player, when they could just use a regular radial goo without the slots, and save themselves a ton of wasted weight.

2) Increase the fuel quantity of the fuel wedges to 11.25L. Now, a 4-core single-stack US2 fuel tank will hold exactly the same amount of fuel as the FL-12-100 tank. With just the radial wedges, your dry mass should be 56kg, vs. 63kg for the dry FL-12-100. If you really crank the weight of the cores and fairings down (6kg / height for each?), you could make up that weight difference (if US2 is very slightly less efficient, that's okay, US2 is more flexible and maybe there should be a tiny tradeoff) and the assembled tank would be  56kg + 6kg core + 6kg fairing = 68kg, making the FL-12-100 more efficient, but only just.

3) For 'tank' cores (and fairings like the Vostok), expand the amount of resources that they carry to "fill the gaps" to make an assembled core competitive with a full-sized tank. This will unfortunately require 'cheating' on the density.

• ie: if you wanted to recreate an FL-25-800 (the squat 2.5m tank) you would use a double-stack 2.5m 8-bay core and tank assembly. However, the US2 model only carries up to 260/312 LFO with as much fuel as you can put in, vs. 360/440 LFO. We need to find an extra 100 LF. If we increase the fuel of the fuel wedges as mentioned above, you're now carrying 180 LF. The current 8-core fuel tank holds 50 LF/height, so with a double-height (again, we're trying to match the dimensions of the equivalent 2.5m tank), just shove an extra 80 LF in there. It is density cheating (the actual tank part matches the dimensions of the FL-12-200, which holds 90 LF, so we're basically doubling the tank density here, sorry).
  • Fix the dry mass. I can only assume that the dry mass of the 'core/fairing' tanks are broken because of a bug, as the weights are PSYCHO. The current 8-core double-height fuel tank has a dry mass of 0.826T, but if you replace the tank with a crew tunnel, the whole core assembly is only 0.200T. Since this core currently matches the FL-12-200, the dry mass should be around 0.125T! We're being punished 0.700T just for using US2!

4) The surface-attachable radial tank's LFO has the same broken dry mass. Way too heavy for way too little fuel. It's fine to have a little penalty for radial attachment, but this is too much. Currently the dry mass is a whopping 0.05T for the LFO radial tank. Compare to the Oscar-A from Restock, which carries the same amount of LFO, with a dry mass of 0.004T. Again, I almost think these dry masses are bugged.

5) Adjust Kerbalism configs. Radial tanks are too low-density for the oxygen/hydrogen resources compared to the size of the model. Also, Kerbalism removes the value of the "double" science in the Goo and Material bays, so you're wasting weight. Halve the weights and return them to just regular Goo/Material experiments, or apply a patch to make them more powerful with more internal slots or something.

I think doing this would be the easiest way to fix the mod's balance with the least amount of edits. I have no idea how to write MM patches, but at the very least I have the capability to build a spreadsheet of info with what should be adjusted.

I'm not completely agree with that, the problem with US tank that they already get too much density of fuel compared to stock tanks. You must compare stock tank with US tank, not with set of tank on a core and at equal volume they contain more fuel than stock parts. And this is first reason why US tanks are more heavy. There is a structure that there isn't in a normal tank, and a bay don't have same function than a tank, if you only want a tank you need to use a tank.

Take a look at this little example from a stock tank and stock density:

LiquidFuel :
density = 0.005
volume = 5 L/unit

MK1Fuselage :
Ø = 1.25m / H = 1.875m
Amount = 400 units
mass = units x density = 400 x 0.005 = 2t
volumeInTank = volume x Amount = 5 x 400 = 2000L

Real extern volume = π x r² x H = 3.14 x 6.25² x 18.75 = 2 299.8 dm³ = 2 299.8L
volumeExt - volumeIn = 2 299.8 - 2000 = 299.8 L (volumeExt - 13.036%)

For the radial tank, I'm agree, it could have a smaller dry mass. 0.05 is too much. There isn't bug but may be a mistake in its config file, it get a base dry mass (0.005t) to witch add a dry mass for each resource, e.g : for LFO with Kerbalism -> 0.005+0.049=0.054 (with TACLS it's 0.005+0.045=0.05). A value near 0.025 could be more appropriate. Concern amount of oxygen/hydrogen I can't realize, I don't play with Kerbalism, I play with TACLS and that's true, oxygen amount is lower in Kerbalism but may be it use it less ?

In last, US2 already embed a MM patch that rebalance resources amount and mass. Regarding amount, it reduce it and I think it could do more. Same with dry mass.

30 minutes ago, Frostiken said:

@linuxgurugamer - I found an easily repeatable bug which... may have been around in US2 since forever

1) Drop a quad-core or a fairing that uses USMassSwitch and USCostSwitch . Change it to something besides 'single'. Note the mass and cost of the craft.

2) Click a part like the wedge fuel tank from the parts menu, or clone an existing tank, and watch the mass and cost. The core or fairing should immediately drop to the level of a 'single' height. Changing the height no longer changes the mass. This appears to be permanent - the bug persists even through launching and recovering.

3) This doesn't seem to happen if you have the tanks plopped into the editor before you place the core or fairing, unless you clone the parts.

NOTE:

- This only happens with wedge modules that can be stretched. Static wedges like the combo food pack do not reset the stats.

- This only happens on fairings and cores that use USMassSwitch and USCostSwitch, that is, only those that don't have upgradable fuel tanks. So only the quad-core stack, but not any of the others, as they use a different module.

This is unrelated to my patch, as I've removed it for testing. The ONLY mod I have installed in US2 (and ModuleManager, of course).

I can confirm this. Strange :/

I'm not disagreeing that balancing the US2 tanks to be more competitive will require density/volume cheating, but so what? The Oscar-B is a vanilla fuel tank that is pure cheat, and the radial monoprop tanks make absolutely zero sense and the "middle" Roundified monoprop tank is by far the worst. However, if you compare them to the US2 wedges, they're vastly better than the Minified and Roundified, but are *maybe* competitive with the cylindrical, except their density is very much cheated. The single-stack US2 monoprop is smaller than the Minified monoprop tank, but it holds more than three times as much monoprop.

Point is, who cares? The game should be usable first and foremost, and just because @Daishi makes adorable models doesn't mean the gameplay should suffer.

Right now, outside of equipment (and even that's arguable), there honestly isn't any reason to use US2 parts except for aesthetics. What a US2 fuel stack is doing is basically just 'building' a regular fuel tank piece by piece. The final size is basically the same as the monobody stock fuel tanks, so what is the harm?

And no matter how you slice it, the built-in fairing and core fuel tanks are 100% indefensible. The dry masses are staggeringly unfair. 

Edited by Frostiken

5 hours ago, Frostiken said:

I'm not disagreeing that balancing the US2 tanks to be more competitive will require density/volume cheating, but so what? The Oscar-B is a vanilla fuel tank that is pure cheat, and the radial monoprop tanks make absolutely zero sense and the "middle" Roundified monoprop tank is by far the worst. However, if you compare them to the US2 wedges, they're vastly better than the Minified and Roundified, but are *maybe* competitive with the cylindrical, except their density is very much cheated. The single-stack US2 monoprop is smaller than the Minified monoprop tank, but it holds more than three times as much monoprop.

Point is, who cares? The game should be usable first and foremost, and just because @Daishi makes adorable models doesn't mean the gameplay should suffer.

Right now, outside of equipment (and even that's arguable), there honestly isn't any reason to use US2 parts except for aesthetics. What a US2 fuel stack is doing is basically just 'building' a regular fuel tank piece by piece. The final size is basically the same as the monobody stock fuel tanks, so what is the harm?

And no matter how you slice it, the built-in fairing and core fuel tanks are 100% indefensible. The dry masses are staggeringly unfair. 

So why not go through all the US2 parts and look at all the masses, then provide me with a spreadsheet showing the part name, current mass and suggested new mass.  A note if there is a big difference to explain.

This would be much more constructive for all of us, since I don't have time to do that right now, am currently working on the code for the camera to release it

Would also be nice if at least two interested parties did this to get different points of view @Frostiken @Vandest

LGG

6 hours ago, Frostiken said:

I'll look at this as well

Edited by linuxgurugamer

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

So why not go through all the US2 parts and look at all the masses, then provide me with a spreadsheet showing the part name, current mass and suggested new mass.  A note if there is a big difference to explain.

That's why I'm just making my own patch completely. It's up to you if you want to include it or not. Everything in US2 is still a *bit* heavier than the equivalent stock tank dimensions, but it's usually within about 10% penalty, and the gap tends to shrink if you opt for quad-sized stacks. Most of the weight is still around the tanks, not the fairings and cores, so going without fairings doesn't really help you all that much.

So far I've finished up the 1.25m and the 1.875m stuff. It was at this point I realized there actually are not Xenon wedge tanks.

I need to do the 2.5m 8-core stuff, and I still need to figure out the 1.5m, and check all the other US2 gizmos to standardize them. I don't use any 1.5m mods and I have no idea what does, so I don't know how to balance the 1.5m stuff. Maybe someone else can help me out on that one?

The patch won't be totally complete, if you want it compatible with other life support systems someone will have to do it themselves. I use Kerbalism and that's all I'm orienting this around.

At any rate, I've found a lot of stuff in US2 that makes even less sense than I originally thought. The 1.875m fuelable fairings (really, the 1.5m fairing it was scaled up from) has a bug with the masses based on how you toggle things, but this was apparently a known issue documented in the part itself. At any rate, for example, the old 'bulkhead' fairing carried only 176/215 LFO and had a wet mass of a whopping 5 tons! I've changed the scaling of the fuel it contains to be roughly similar to an FL-18-220+FL-18-440 as they're roughly the same dimensions as the bulkhead fuel tank. So now the part holds 270/330 LFO (up from 176/215, which was criminally underfueled given the size of the tank) and the fairing+tank has a wet mass of 3.445T, a dry mass of 0.445T which is basically the dry mass of standard fuel tanks, plus the quad-length fairing. Again, following my logic, you're better off with the FL tanks instead of the payload bay, but it's a gentle penalty that shouldn't be insurmountable to the player, unlike the old dimensions and sizes, which immediately would raise a red flag.

I also found another bug - the Octo Xenon core costs vastly less than the fuel it contains, so if you drain the part, you get negative money!

Edited by Frostiken

Hey All,

May I drop a half-assed bug report in here and hope you don't mind it if I fail to provide clear steps to reproduce?

I am playing a campaign that includes US2 and CLS and I built my space station using crew passable US2 cores only to find later that the US2 sections of my station were unpassable. After much investigation I found out that the issue was that in the savegame file the bottom stack of the US2 core did not really attach to the next part in the part hierarchy despite the child part showing the US2 core as its parent.

I was also able to reproduce the issue in the VAB by using CLS highlighting. Unfortunately I have not figured out the exact steps that causes the core to become unpassable (*) in the VAB but if you slap it between two crew modules and then play with the size of the core you should be able to run into it.

(*): Based on what I found out about my station, I  think the core is not really losing its passability, it is losing its stack connection to its child part.

So I'm going to "publish" my rebalance. It's not done, but it at least met the minimum of items I need it to meet. Hopefully someone else can chip in a bit on it to fix some other issues that are known or tackle some of the stuff below.

WHAT IT DOES:

- Significantly reduces the weights of most shrouds and cores. In general, the quad, hex, and octo cores are designed to be balanced in equivalence to what a full-sized LFO or Mono tank would cost for the same size. So for example, a quad core with 4x LFO tanks is the same dimensions as an FL-12-100 tank, so the fuel capacity was changed to match. For Hex and Octo cores, to make up the difference, the center tank was overfilled to match. There is still a weight penalty for US2, but it's nowhere near as severe as it used to be. You're still better off with a regular tank if that's what you're doing. Keep in mind for tanks like the 2.5m size, a single layer of US2 is actually half the size of the smallest 2.5m tank, so you need two stacks to match.
- Radial tank had Nitrogen added for Kerbalism. LFO dry mass greatly reduced.
-  The 'bulkhead' and 'toroidal' fuel quantities and dry masses of the Vostok, Soyuz, and brown cylinder shroud are ENORMOUSLY slashed. The weight penalty was so extreme, you'd sometimes lose delta-V just for adding them!
- Cost increased for adding solar panels to shrouds that have them, with a 10% penalty on top of it to boot.
- US2 'probe' cores adjusted to be closer to the Octo and Octo2 cores which is their equivalence. Kerbalism data storage rates adjusted as well.
- For Kerbalism, the goo and material bay weights were halved. They were double because in vanilla, they have two experiments in one, but for Kerbalism this advantage doesn't exist, so their weight was reduced to compensate.
- Data storage wedge now has data storage for Kerbalism.
- Part of this fixed a few odd bugs, ie: the octo core Xenon filler had such broken costs that if you drained the Xenon completely, the cost went into the negative.

WHAT IT DOES NOT DO:

- For the most part, the adapter-type shrouds are unchanged. The weights were pretty competitive with the existing stock adapters.
- Life support systems are not balanced for anything but Kerbalism. I don't use anything but Kerbalism. Feel free to upgrade this patch if you use some other alternative config. This patch right now is mostly just for me.
- The Alkaline generator and Fuel Cell generator are basically the same part if you use Kerbalism, because the mode of operation is the same. I can't think of any function to add to differentiate them, so they're unchanged.
- Monoprop wedges are unchanged. Believe it or not they were actually perfectly balanced as-is.
- Someone informed me that the heat resistance of parts is off. This may need to be looked at.
- Wheel-o-decoutrons probably need to be fixed as well.

WHAT I WANT IT TO DO:

- The USAdaptorShroud1250Soyuz is BUGGED. If you extend the length of the shroud, the weight doesn't change. What I need to do is pull the code over from the Vostok tank, however, I cannot get Module Manager to do what I want. You can see a huge chunk of commented-out code. Maybe someone can make it work? I'm not very good at this kind of stuff. The code kind of sort of works, but it exhibits some anomalous behavior that is incorrect, like it's referencing things in the wrong order. Someone can probably sort this out.
- The 1.5m Pentacore is NOT CHANGED. I have no idea what parts are 1.5m fuel tanks, so I have no comparison. I got one mod pack with a 1.5m tank but the density of the tank was so low it made no sense to me. Maybe someone wants to take a swing and see how they feel about it? At any rate, the LFO wedges have more fuel so maybe it'll be good enough as-is.
- The balance for the oxygen tanks is not fair for Kerbalism compared to the Kerbalism radial oxygen tanks. I don't know what to do here. Technically a quad-height oxygen tank is the same dimensions of the biggest radial Kerbalism tank, but if I scaled it to that, you have way too much oxygen at the smallest size. The fault is in the Kerbalism tanks. So I changed nothing.

WHAT I CAN'T DO:

- It was my desire to add Geiger Counter experiment to the atmospheric test module but Kerbalism is locked down pretty hard on custom experiment modules (ie: I wanted to keep it having only two experiments, but you can switch between the three (geiger, atmo, temp).
- I really want the solar panels added to the parts to have weight, unfortunately USSolarSwitch.cs does not have a hook for 'AddedMass'. Could someone who is better with C (I only barely know enough to kind of read some stuff) recompile the .dlls? Or add this to Github? I honestly don't know anything about Github and Pull Requests or anything. I know enough to see what the problem is, but I don't want to edit any core files.

At any rate, I feel like less of a freeloading boob, having gotten the ball rolling on this instead of just asking for @linuxgurugamerto do all the work ;) 

Code is below.

Spoiler
@PART[USRadialTanks]:LAST[UniversalStorage2]
{
	@mass = 0.001
	@cost = 10

@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	{
		@resourceNames = Oxygen;Hydrogen;MonoPropellant;LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;Food;Water
		@resourceAmounts = 4000;14000;4.5;4,4.8;12;12
		@initialResourceAmounts = 4000;14000;4.5;4,4.8;12;12
		@tankCost = 340;340;240;240;40;40
		@tankMass = 0.003;0.003;0.006;0.007;0.002;0.002
	}

@MODULE[USSwitchControl]
	{
		@VariantColors = #2ed518,#999999;#2ed518,#999999;#2ed518,#999999;#eb7c10,#999999;#eb7c10,#999999;#2ed518,#999999;#2ed518,#999999
	}

@MODULE[USMeshSwitch]
	{
		@MeshTransforms = RadialSmallOxygen;RadialSmallHydrogen;RadialSmallOxygen;RadialSmallMonoprop;RadialSmallLiquidFuel;RadialSmallLiquidFood;RadialSmallWater
	}
}

@PART[USQuadcore]
{
	@mass = 0.008
	@cost = 50

@MODULE[USCostSwitch]
	{
		@AddedCost = 0;25;50;75
	}

@MODULE[USMassSwitch]
	{
		@AddedMass = 0.000;0.008;0.016;0.024
	}
}

@PART[USPenticore]
{
	// @mass = 0.016
	// @cost = 75

// @MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	// {
		// @resourceAmounts = 			0;0;0;0|			15.75,19.25;31.5,38.5;47.25,57.75;63,77|	20;40;60;80|				800;1600;2400;3200
		// @initialResourceAmounts = 	0;0;0;0|			15.75,19.25;31.5,38.5;47.25,57.75;63,77|	20;40;60;80|				800;1600;2400;3200
		// @tankCost = 				0;45;90;135|		68;144;242;296|								225;550;875;1200|			4150;8400;12650;16900
		// @tankMass = 				0;0.016;0.32;0.48|	0.035;0.155;0.275;0.395|					0.015;0.125;0.235;0.345|	0.005;0.125;0.245;0.365
	//}
}

@PART[USHexcore]
{
	@mass = 0.024
	@cost = 100

@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	{
		@resourceAmounts = 0;0;0;0|31.5,38.5;63,77;94.5,115.5;126,154|20;40;60;80|780;1560;2340;3120
		@initialResourceAmounts = 0;0;0;0|31.5,38.5;63,77;94.5,115.5;126,154|20;40;60;80|780;1560;2340;3120
		@tankCost = 0;60;120;180|85;180;275;370|225;550;875;1200|4150;8400;12650;16900
		@tankMass = 0;0.024;0.048;0.072|0.045;0.09;0.135;0.18|0.041;0.106;0.171;0.236|0.005;0.035;0.064;0.093
	}
}

@PART[USOctocore]
{
	@mass = 0.032
	@cost = 150

@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	{
		@resourceAmounts = 0;0;0;0|90,110;180,220;270,330;360,440|120;240;360;480|5700;11400;17100;22800
		@initialResourceAmounts = 0;0;0;0|90,110;180,220;270,330;360,440|120;240;360;480|5700;11400;17100;22800
		@tankCost = 0;60;120;180|88;551;1014;1477|413;1201;1989;2777|24400;48900;73400;97900
		@tankMass = 0;0.032;0.064;0.096|0.128;0.288;0.448;0.608|0.078;0.188;0.298;0.408|0.203;0.438;0.673;0.908	
	}
}

@PART[USCylindricalShroud125]
{
	@mass = 0.008
	@cost = 50

@MODULE[USCostSwitch]
	{
		@AddedCost = 0;25;50;75;225
	}

@MODULE[USMassSwitch]
	{
		@AddedMass = 0.000;0.008;0.016;0.024;0.045
	}
}

@PART[USCylindricalShroud125ResizedTo1875-1]:LAST[UniversalStorage2]
{
	@cost = 80
	@mass = 0.014

@MODULE[USCostSwitch]
	{
		@AddedCost = 0;40;80;120;350
	}

@MODULE[USMassSwitch]
	{
		@AddedMass = 0.000;0.014;0.028;0.042;0.056
	}
}

@PART[USCylindricalShroud1500ResizedTo1875-2]:LAST[UniversalStorage2]
{
	@cost = 110
	@mass = 0.018

@MODULE[USFuelSwitch],0
	{
		@resourceAmounts = 0;0;0;0;270,330
		@initialResourceAmounts = 0;0;0;0;270,330
		@tankCost = 0;0;0;0;0
		@tankMass = 0;0;0;0;0				
	}

@MODULE[USFuelSwitch],1
	{
		@resourceAmounts = 0;108,132;150
		@initialResourceAmounts = 0;108,132;150
		@tankCost = 0;175;360
		@tankMass = 0;0.13;0.146
	}

@MODULE[USCostSwitch]
	{
		@AddedCost = 0;85;170;255;425
	}

@MODULE[USMassSwitch]
	{
		@AddedMass = 0.000;0.010;0.020;0.030;.457
	}
}

@PART[USCylindricalShroud250]
{
	@mass = 0.1
	@cost = 110

@MODULE[USCostSwitch]
	{
		@AddedCost = 0;55;110;165;425
	}

@MODULE[USMassSwitch]
	{
		@AddedMass = 0.000;0.020;0.040;0.060;0.060
	}
}

@PART[USAdaptorShroud1250Vostok]
{
	@cost = 850
	@mass = 0.175

@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	{
		//resourceNames = MonoPropellant;Structural|MonoPropellant,LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;Structural,LiquidFuel,Oxidizer|MonoPropellant,MonoPropellant;Structural,MonoPropellant|MonoPropellant;Structural
		@resourceAmounts = 40;0|40,40,48;0,40,48|120,0;0,80|40;0
		@initialResourceAmounts = 40;0|40,40,48;0,40,48|120,0;0,80|40;0

@tankCost = 120;0|330;210|360;240|410;0
		@tankMass = 0.060;0|0.060;0.52|0.060;0.4|0.060;0.05
	}
}

// @PART[USAdaptorShroud1250Soyuz]
// {
	// @cost = 75
	// @mass = 0.10

// // @MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	// // {
		// // resourceNames = Structural;Structural;Structural;Structural|LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;LiquidFuel,Oxidizer|MonoPropellant;MonoPropellant;MonoPropellant;MonoPropellant

// // @resourceAmounts = 0;0;0;0|40,48;80,96;120,144;160,192|80;80;80;80
		// // @initialResourceAmounts = 0;0;0;0|40,48;80,96;120,144;160,192|40;80;120;160

// // @tankCost = 0;75;150;225|375;450;625;700|240;315;390;465
		// // @tankMass = 0;0.1;0.2;0.3|0.42;0.52;0.62;0.72|0.4;0.5;0.6;0.7
	// // }

// -MODULE[USSwitchControl],0 { }

// -MODULE[USFuelSwitch] { }

// MODULE
	// {
		// name = USSwitchControl
		// SwitchID = 0
		// ButtonName = Function
		// ModuleDisplayName = Function
		// CurrentVariantTitle = #autoLOC_US_Configuration
		// ShowPreviousButton = False			
		// ObjectNames = #autoLOC_US_SingleHeight;#autoLOC_US_DoubleHeight;#autoLOC_US_TripleHeight;#autoLOC_US_QuadHeight
		// // Following line added by dave7
		// FuelSwitchModeOne = True
		// VariantColors = #68984d,#999999;#537a3d,#999999;#3a562a,#999999;#2e4321,#999999
	// }

// MODULE
	// {
		// name = USFuelSwitch
		// SwitchID = 0
		// resourceNames = Structural;Structural;Structural;Structural
		// resourceAmounts = 0;0;0;0
		// initialResourceAmounts = 0;0;0;0
		// tankCost = 0;0;0;0
		// tankMass = 0;0;0;0
		// hasGUI = False
		// availableInEditor = False
		// displayCurrentTankCost = True
		// ShowInfo = False
	// }

// MODULE
	// {
		// name = USFuelSwitch
		// SwitchID = 2
		// resourceNames = Structural;LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;MonoPropellant
		// resourceAmounts = 0;54,66;80
		// initialResourceAmounts = 0;54,66;80
		// tankCost = 0;1;1
		// tankMass = 0;1;1
		// hasGUI = False
		// availableInEditor = False
		// displayCurrentTankCost = True
		// ShowInfo = False
	// }			

// MODULE
	// {
		// name = USCostSwitch
		// SwitchID = 0
		// DisplayCurrentModeCost = True
		// AddedCost = 0;85;170;255;500
	// }

// MODULE
	// {
		// name = USMassSwitch
		// SwitchID = 0
		// DisplayCurrentModeMass = True
		// AddedMass = 0.000;0.010;0.020;0.030
	// }	

// @MODULE[USSolarSwitch]
	// {
		// @chargeRate = 0;1;2;3	
		// @AddedCost = 0;235;475;585
	// }
// }

@PART[USCylindricalShroud1500]
{
	@cost = 88
	@mass = 0.0145

@MODULE[USFuelSwitch],0
	{
		@resourceAmounts = 0;0;0;0;144,176
		@initialResourceAmounts = 0;0;0;0;144,176
		@tankCost = 0;0;0;0;0
		@tankMass = 0;0;0;0;0
	}

@MODULE[USFuelSwitch],1
	{
		@resourceAmounts = 0;95.04,105.6;120
		@initialResourceAmounts = 0;95.04,105.6;120
		@tankCost = 0;112;288
		@tankMass = 0;0.104;0.117
	}
	@MODULE[USCostSwitch]
	{
		@AddedCost = 0;68;136;204;400
	}

@MODULE[USMassSwitch]
	{
		@AddedMass = 0.000;0.008;0.016;0.024;0.365
	}

@MODULE[USSolarSwitch]
	{
		@chargeRate = 0.8;1.6;2.4;3.2;0	
		AddedMass = 0.012;0.0248;0.0376;0.05;0
		@AddedCost = 188;376;568;756;0
	}
}

@PART[USAdaptorShroud0625]
{
	@MODULE[USSolarSwitch]
	{
		@AddedCost = 330
		AddedMass = 0.022
	}
}

@PART[USAdaptorShroud1250]
{
	@MODULE[USSolarSwitch]
	{
		@AddedCost = 950
		AddedMass = 0.0625
	}
}

@PART[USAdaptorShroud1500]
{
	@MODULE[USSolarSwitch]
	{
		@AddedCost = 950
		AddedMass = 0.0625
	}
}

@PART[USAdaptorShroud1875]
{
	@MODULE[USSolarSwitch]
	{
		@AddedCost = 1650
		AddedMass = 0.11
	}
}

@PART[USAerozineWedge]
{
	@cost = 20
	@mass = 0.016

@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	{
		//resourceNames = 			LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;	LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;	LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;	LiquidFuel,Oxidizer
		@resourceAmounts = 11.25,13.75;22.5,27.5;33.75,41.25;45,55
		@initialResourceAmounts = 11.25,13.75;22.5,27.5;33.75,41.25;45,55
		@tankCost = 0;35;70;105
		@tankMass = 0;0.016;0.032;0.048
	}
}

@PART[USDoubleProbeCore]
{
	@cost = 605
}

@PART[USSingleProbeCore]
{
	@cost = 1740
}

@PART[USKASWedge]
{
	@mass = 0.05
}

@PART[USKASRadial]
{
	@mass = 0.05
}

// @PART[USHydrazineWedge]
// {
	// @cost = 69
	// @mass = 0.015

// @MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	// {
		// // resourceNames = 			MonoPropellant;			MonoPropellant;			MonoPropellant;			MonoPropellant
		// @resourceAmounts = 			15;						30;						45;						60
		// @initialResourceAmounts = 	15;						30;						45;						60
		// @tankCost = 				0;						138;					207;					276
		// @tankMass = 				0;						0.03;					0.045;					0.060
	// }
// }

// Kerbalism
@PART[USOxygenWedge]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
{

}

@PART[USHydrogenWedge]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
{

}

@PART[USMatBayWedge]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
{
	@mass = 0.200
	@cost = 1800
}

@PART[USGooBayWedge]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]
{
	@mass = 0.050
	@cost = 800
}

@PART[USWaterPurifier]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]:LAST[UniversalStorage2]
{
	@cost = 1250
	@mass = 0.075
}

@PART[USDataStorageWedge]:NEEDS[FeatureScience]:FOR[KerbalismDefault]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = HardDrive
		title = Sample Container Storage
		dataCapacity = #$@KERBALISM_HDD_SIZES/STOCK/ScienceBox/data$
		sampleCapacity = #$@KERBALISM_HDD_SIZES/STOCK/ScienceBox/samples$
	}
}

@PART[USDoubleProbeCore]:NEEDS[FeatureScience]:FOR[KerbalismDefault]
{
	@MODULE[HardDrive]
	{
		@dataCapacity = #$@KERBALISM_HDD_SIZES/STOCK/OKTO/data$
		@sampleCapacity = #$@KERBALISM_HDD_SIZES/STOCK/OKTO/samples$
	}
}

@PART[USSingleProbeCore]:NEEDS[FeatureScience]:FOR[KerbalismDefault]
{
	@MODULE[HardDrive]
	{
		@dataCapacity = #$@KERBALISM_HDD_SIZES/STOCK/OKTO2/data$
		@sampleCapacity = #$@KERBALISM_HDD_SIZES/STOCK/OKTO2/samples$
	}
}

@PART[USRadialTanks]:NEEDS[Kerbalism]:LAST[UniversalStorage2]
{
	@mass = 0.001
	@cost = 10

@MODULE[USFuelSwitch]
	{
		@resourceNames = Oxygen;Hydrogen;Nitrogen;MonoPropellant;LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;Food;Water
		@resourceAmounts = 4000;14000;3600;4.5;4,4.8;12;12
		@initialResourceAmounts = 4000;14000;3600;4.5;4,4.8;12;12
		@tankCost = 340;340;340;240;240;40;40
		@tankMass = 0.003;0.003;0.003;0.005;0.006;0.002;0.002
	}

@MODULE[USSwitchControl]
	{
	}

@MODULE[USMeshSwitch]
	{
	}
}

Edited by Frostiken

7 hours ago, Frostiken said:

So I'm going to "publish" my rebalance. It's not done, but it at least met the minimum of items I need it to meet. Hopefully someone else can chip in a bit on it to fix some other issues that are known or tackle some of the stuff below

Nice

7 hours ago, Frostiken said:

I really want the solar panels added to the parts to have weight, unfortunately USSolarSwitch.cs does not have a hook for 'AddedMass'. Could someone who is better with C (I only barely know enough to kind of read some stuff) recompile the .dlls? Or add this to Github? I honestly don't know anything about Github and Pull Requests or anything. I know enough to see what the problem is, but I don't want to edit any core files.

Ummm, the solar panels are part of the part, and would be included in the base mass of the part.  If you want that to happen, then you can modify the part config by adding a USMassSwitch module (for an example, look at the CylindricalShroud125.cfg, CylindricalShroud1500.cfg, CylindricalShroud250.cfg, US_Quad.cfg, KaSWedge.cfg parts

Also, it's C#, not C. 

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ummm, the solar panels are part of the part, and would be included in the base mass of the part

USSolarSwitch.cs is for the toggle that goes onto the Soyuz and 1500 cylindrical shroud. They shouldn't be factored into the base mass, because you can turn them off at your leisure. There is a hook in it for increasing the cost of the part - consummate to the dimensions of the panel it adds - which works fine. However, you can't make it increase the mass because the code to do so doesn't exist in the module. Since the solar panels are toggled via a tweakable button and not a "mode" like the fairing length, it's its own thing and is handled differently.

PS: Just doing that little patch was a lot of work. How do you handle this for the 8,523 mods you maintain? You're a legend.

Edited by Frostiken

1 hour ago, Frostiken said:

USSolarSwitch.cs is for the toggle that goes onto the Soyuz and 1500 cylindrical shroud. They shouldn't be factored into the base mass, because you can turn them off at your leisure. There is a hook in it for increasing the cost of the part - consummate to the dimensions of the panel it adds - which works fine. However, you can't make it increase the mass because the code to do so doesn't exist in the module. Since the solar panels are toggled via a tweakable button and not a "mode" like the fairing length, it's its own thing and is handled differently.

PS: Just doing that little patch was a lot of work. How do you handle this for the 8,523 mods you maintain? You're a legend.

the switch modules are designed to do that and more.  They should be able to toggle the panels on and off, including the mass, I'll take a look at it in a few minutes (doing a stream right now modding US2)

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Hello,

Firstly, I've made an excel board which bring together all value of parts mass. It was made for TACLS, but it's easy to change value to match with other mod like Kerbalism, Snacks!, USILS etc ... You can download it here: UniversalStorage2.v4.0.0.5-ResourceMass.xl

It provide a good overview of all values, and help to see how US switch modules working. Besides, it allowed me to realize that crazy mass of some parts was due to a confusion with tank dry mass and and tank fueled, e.g:
US_Hex Quad Height with LFO, get a empty tank of 1.477t that give a dry mass of 1.552t and a full tank mass of 2.432t, whereas Tunnel variant get a mass of 0.225t. So, most of mass of LFO variant is due to its empty tank.

So LFO empty tank need to get a reduction of its mass and also need to match in a better way with MonoPropellant empty tank mass.

We need to understand that "tankMass" variable is about empty tank mass in the part.

Another thing is MonoPropellant tank don't have enough quantity inside, e.g: LFO tank with 20LF and 24Ox, its MonoPropellant equivalent need to have quantity of about 50.  About double. (LFO get a density of 0.005 and MonoPropellant get 0.004)

20 hours ago, Frostiken said:

- The USAdaptorShroud1250Soyuz is BUGGED. If you extend the length of the shroud, the weight doesn't change. What I need to do is pull the code over from the Vostok tank, however, I cannot get Module Manager to do what I want. You can see a huge chunk of commented-out code. Maybe someone can make it work? I'm not very good at this kind of stuff. The code kind of sort of works, but it exhibits some anomalous behavior that is incorrect, like it's referencing things in the wrong order. Someone can probably sort this out.

It's done, I fixed it. Ditto for USCylindricalShroud1500 and USAdaptorShroud1250Vostok. I made it directly in part configs (not a MM patch) and in fact I think it will better to stop to make patch that can be directly inside part config files. Of course, this is only a proposal, @linuxgurugamer tell me what do you think about it, if you agree that I could also integrate patches that already exist.
@Frostiken, if you want I can make it a patch.

- The 1.5m Pentacore is NOT CHANGED. I have no idea what parts are 1.5m fuel tanks, so I have no comparison. I got one mod pack with a 1.5m tank but the density of the tank was so low it made no sense to me. Maybe someone wants to take a swing and see how they feel about it? At any rate, the LFO wedges have more fuel so maybe it'll be good enough as-is.

This is also why you need to just compare US wedge tanks to stock tanks, not all set of wedge tanks on its core under its shroud. A service module is not a tank.

- I really want the solar panels added to the parts to have weight, unfortunately USSolarSwitch.cs does not have a hook for 'AddedMass'. Could someone who is better with C (I only barely know enough to kind of read some stuff) recompile the .dlls? Or add this to Github? I honestly don't know anything about Github and Pull Requests or anything. I know enough to see what the problem is, but I don't want to edit any core files.

Agree with that, I will take look on it.

I wasn't sure if I really wanted to tackle modding the parts directly, since LGG is maintaining this baby, for now, I wanted the patch to be at least something people could drop into the game right now and fool around with. If this turns into an overall 'Yeah this is kind of broken' (which we both are in agreement many things are pretty broken, and we both found some actual bugs while fixing this) thing that should be part of the core experience, then hell yeah.

But for now since that's going to be down the line a bit, for now I just wanted my current game experience to be a bit more enticing with US2. US2 *is* generally less space efficient since you are limited to n parts per cake layer, one of the reasons I wanted to slash the weight of the cores and fairings was to not make people feel punished. Except for fuel tanks, you can fit almost everything into a 1.25m service bay that would take two or more layers of US2 cake to fit. I mean, hell, a fuel cell alone is three wedges. 

New release, 4.0.0.6

• Thanks to @leonardfactory for updating the Italian localization
  • Thanks to @leonardfactory for Add localization support for missing US modules strings
  • Thanks to @jamesErvin for updates to the English localization
  • Added DockingCamera support for the AdvancedMicroSatWedge

CKAN will be updated to have the DockingCameraKURS as a recommendation in a few minutes

44 minutes ago, Vandest said:
21 hours ago, Frostiken said:

Agree with that, I will take look on it.

That would be handled by the USMassSwitch, they all work together.

I'm working on an example config for you right now

Edit: I'm looking at the code, I see what you are talking about.  I'm not sure of the best way to handle this right now, will let you know when I have a solution

Edited by linuxgurugamer

17 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That would be handled by the USMassSwitch, they all work together.

I'm working on an example config for you right now

Yes, I saw that in USCylindricalShroud1500 config file, thing I don't know for now it's how link USMassSwitch to USSolarSwitch, I was thinking to just use a AddedMass variable inside USSolarSwitch module, is it possible ?

7 minutes ago, Vandest said:

Yes, I saw that in USCylindricalShroud1500 config file, thing I don't know for now it's how link USMassSwitch to USSolarSwitch, I was thinking to just use a AddedMass variable inside USSolarSwitch module, is it possible ?

Anything is possible, but I'm doing it using a second USMassSwitch, with minor modifications to USMassSwitch.cs and USSolarSwitch.cs

1 hour ago, Vandest said:

It's done, I fixed it. Ditto for USCylindricalShroud1500 and USAdaptorShroud1250Vostok. I made it directly in part configs (not a MM patch) and in fact I think it will better to stop to make patch that can be directly inside part config files. Of course, this is only a proposal, @linuxgurugamer tell me what do you think about it, if you agree that I could also integrate patches that already exist.

Send those to me directly, or make a PR for them.  

What are thoughts on how to change the Wheel-O-Decoutrons (god I HATE THAT NAME CAN WE CHANGE IT PLEASE)?

Right now they're a decoupler + a SAS module, the strength of which seems to vary. Some are half strength, some are full strength, relative to their associated SAS part. The cost and mass is identical to just a decoupler. Power drain is less (this could be a result of vanilla patches).

I was thinking to baseline them a half SAS power relative to their size, increase the power drain, increase the costs considerably, but I don't know what to do about mass. (SAS+Decoupler)* 0.8?

So it would be lighter than a decoupler + SAS module, in a smaller form factor, but it's a much less efficient module overall. More wasted power for less SAS strength. But it's compact, so there you go.

EDIT: Here's the ACD parts. Check the comments, there is an issue with the 0.1875m Restock part. I took some liberties on that one. Also, again - I don't have an 1.5m parts to compare to. So I'm just setting it to be identical to 1.25m for now.

Spoiler

@PART[USACDTiny]
{
	@cost = 825						//600   SAS + 150   DCup * 1.1
	@mass = 0.048					//0.050 SAS + 0.010 DCup * 0.8

@MODULE[ModuleReactionWheel]
	{
		@PitchTorque = 2.5			//5 SAS, 2.5 US2
		@YawTorque = 2.5
		@RollTorque = 2.5

@RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]
		{
			@rate = 0.275			//0.25 SAS, 0.15 US2 * 1.1
		}
	}
}

@PART[USACDSmall]
{
	@cost = 1540					//1200  SAS + 200   DCup * 1.1
	@mass = 0.112					//0.100 SAS + 0.040 DCup * 0.8

{
		@PitchTorque = 7.5			//15 SAS, 5 US2
		@YawTorque = 7.5
		@RollTorque = 7.5

{
			@rate = 0.495			//0.45 SAS, 0.3 US2 * 1.1
		}
	}
}

@PART[USACDMedium]
{
	@cost = 2075					//1825  SAS + 250   DCup * 1.1
	@mass = 0.192					//0.150 SAS + 0.090 DCup * 0.8

{
		@PitchTorque = 11.25		//22.5 SAS, 15 US2
		@YawTorque = 11.25
		@RollTorque = 11.25

{
			@rate = 0.61875			//0.675 SAS, 0.5 US2 * 1.1
									//UH OH, WE HAVE A PROBLEM! So, the 1.5m SAS is set to 0.03 EC/kN drain. The 0.625m is 0.05 EC/kN.
									//2.5m is 0.02 EC/kN. However, the Restock+ SAS is set to 0.03 EC/kN. This results in the stock/restock
									//1.875m part having more power drain with less torque, compared to 2.5m. This is also hurting this
									//rebalance. So what I'm doing is putting the 1.875m between 1.5 and 2.5 - the new power drain is set to
									//0.025 EC/kN and calculated from there. The Restock SAS is not affected, because that's not in scope.
		}
	}
}

@PART[USACDLarge]
{
	@cost = 2640					//2100  SAS + 300   DCup * 1.1
	@mass = 0.288					//0.200 SAS + 0.160 DCup * 0.8

{
		@PitchTorque = 15			//30 SAS, 30 US2
		@YawTorque = 15
		@RollTorque = 15

{
			@rate = 0.66			//0.6 SAS, 0.6 US2 * 1.1
		}
	}
}

@PART[USACD1500]				//ALL CONFIG SET TO MATCH 1.25M. I don't have any 1.5m parts. Better than nothing.
{
	@cost = 1540				//1200  SAS + 200   DCup * 1.1
	@mass = 0.112				//0.100 SAS + 0.040 DCup * 0.8

{
		@PitchTorque = 7.5			//15 SAS, 5 US2
		@YawTorque = 7.5
		@RollTorque = 7.5

{
			@rate = 0.495			//0.45 SAS, 0.3 US2 * 1.1
		}
	}
}

Edited by Frostiken

On 2/28/2022 at 3:01 PM, canisin said:

Hey All,

May I drop a half-assed bug report in here and hope you don't mind it if I fail to provide clear steps to reproduce?

I am playing a campaign that includes US2 and CLS and I built my space station using crew passable US2 cores only to find later that the US2 sections of my station were unpassable. After much investigation I found out that the issue was that in the savegame file the bottom stack of the US2 core did not really attach to the next part in the part hierarchy despite the child part showing the US2 core as its parent.

I was also able to reproduce the issue in the VAB by using CLS highlighting. Unfortunately I have not figured out the exact steps that causes the core to become unpassable (*) in the VAB but if you slap it between two crew modules and then play with the size of the core you should be able to run into it.

(*): Based on what I found out about my station, I  think the core is not really losing its passability, it is losing its stack connection to its child part.

Since there is so much activity in the thread, would it be rude if i bumped this? 

the decoupler TD-12 has the same mass as the universal storage decoupler, but with that one i'm reaching a 3x as high altitude, so the universal storage one must have a much higher drag somehow

with the TD-06 it seems to be the opposite. (the universal storage decoupler also stabilizes the craft better, maybe that's why it's better here?)

with bigger parts it seems to be the same story like with the TD-12, but much less severe.

Edited by pwn