Real Life "Kerbalisms"

Lisias

On 12/15/2023 at 9:17 PM, kerbiloid said:

M3 looks reasonable, when compared to it.

sddefault.jpg

The big gun is  inside the body.

Its some system to the madness, yes it was an bad design but it was an patch. 

The mouse was an brand new gold plated tank and it was already too heavy, then why an 150 mm main gun, no tanks uses this large guns today. Yes you have 155 mm guns but they are artillery. Why not an smaller gun still able to kill other heavy tanks at range, but make room for an larger gun if you upgrade. Now the top turret sounds like an smart idea but with it own ammo will get hit and set off the entire stack and you will not build many of them anyway. 
Stupid idea in the first place, wish Germany focused all their tank efforts on the mouse in 1942 :) 

45 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

The mouse was an brand new gold plated tank and it was already too heavy, then why an 150 mm main gun

There doesn't seem to be a decent explanation. Ever since the Löwe in 1941 there was a fierce competition between a 149 mm (data presented below), a 128 mm or an 105 mm L/70.

Spoiler

lowe06-e56792e450e64f52bc351686653c20e1.

Ultimately, it seems that late 1941 saw the Germans suffer the same fear of secret enemy wonder weapons that the Soviets were suffering in early 1941. A March 1941 report indicated that the Germans already had a 90-ton Panzer VII with a 105 mm gun on the production lineThe reaponse were design requests for gargants like the KV-5.

Q3xYZqUUgmY.jpg?size=755x950&quality=96&

Logically, you can see how this in turn would fuel German developments. They expected KV-5-like tanks by 1943, i.e. at Kursk, whereas Fall Blau would have provided the Germans with enough petrol for an army of superheavies.

On 12/28/2023 at 8:24 AM, DDE said:

"I've got good news and bad news"

"Bad news?"

"We mistook the landing strip with the river."

"...And the good news?"

"It's -40⁰C."

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russian-plane-lands-frozen-river-by-mistake-prosecutors-2023-12-28/

One of the best of the Year! :) 

(hey, everybody walked from the stunt, and the aircraft could take off again with little to no maintenance - other than some totalled underwear, I call this a huge win!)

On 12/6/2023 at 5:20 AM, Lisias said:

I sincerely curious to meet the guys that made such "concept" :)

Have you heard of Tsiolkovsky's corrugated all-metal airship? Well, someone by the name of Perelman got so enthusiastic he proceeded to, ahem, imagine a "structurally feasible" craft 1000 m long and 300 m tall capable of "lifting" (i.e. was he judging by weight alone?) two hundred thousand people.

28619735_original.jpg

Edited by DDE

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

I have a truck with a missile on it that is supposed to be a GAZ-69 and it looks exactly like one of those pics (but with a rotating launcher for the missiles instead of the fixed one).

On 1/13/2024 at 9:20 PM, DDE said:

In an unofficial NASA VK group.

Lk9Mi5wO28k.jpg?size=1200x675&quality=96

"Wait, the wheels of the rover on Peregrine can be spun while in flight? Can these be used for attitude control?"

"Unfortunately the momentum on those won't be enough"

https://vk.com/wall-22468706_163341?reply=163343

How to use for attitude control? Now they could be used as reaction wheels to change orientation but they are small, not designed to rotate fast  and has drag. 

53 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

How to use for attitude control? Now they could be used as reaction wheels to change orientation but they are small, not designed to rotate fast  and has drag. 

Being exactly this the reason it would be a Kerbalism - this is exact what a aerospacial engineer says about the Reaction Wheels! :) 

— — POST EDIT — — 

Humm, perhaps I had missed the point?

Spoiler

1bks4v.jpg

Edited by Lisias
post edit